Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Alexina Should have been in Nao.

Comments

• AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Sherri wrote: »
    EDIT: Actually nope wait, the thread was locked.. and this is a diff thread..ok I'm good everyone
    except im not
    'i know, let's lock the thread but not leave an explanation on it for why we did'
    nani

The other thread was closed because it grew to be nothing but toxic infighting, and if that pattern continues, it can and will result in repercussions for those involved.
    SebastianSherriTheDumbOne
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Aquasol wrote: »
    EDIT: Actually nope wait, the thread was locked.. and this is a diff thread..ok I'm good everyone
    except im not
    'i know, let's lock the thread but not leave an explanation on it for why we did'
    nani

The other thread was closed because it grew to be nothing but toxic infighting, and if that pattern continues, it can and will result in repercussions for those involved.

Ooh repercussions. Bunker in tight. :)

Let's see if this thread can maintain civility.
  • ChaosShadowChaosShadow
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,590
    edited July 9, 2019
    If I'm being completely honest, I think I'm back on the side of the fence that would prefer we not be merged.

If staying on a dying server means I don't have to chance crossing paths with certain players from the other thread, I'll gladly sit down and decay with it. I'm sure the majority of people on Nao would prefer things stay this way as well, if Gaea's post about people returning to Nao from Alexina is anything to go off of.

And yes, this is a childish post. I've said it for everyone that I know would be so eager and quick to point that out. You may move along now...
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited July 9, 2019
    Greta wrote: »
    This is new server merge meme. But it's Alexina now. We won't stop until we get wanted results. Nexon never explained why they didn't do full merge.

They did.

"To create balance."

Doesn't matter if its the answer you wanted or not. It's the answer they chose.
    This is new server merge meme. But it's Alexina now. We won't stop until we get wanted results. Nexon never explained why they didn't do full merge.

I'd at least like to know why as well.. I mean, possibly because they anticipated that both servers really would be equal in pop. but honestly, it's kind of expected that it wouldn't because of the 'hype' kind of people. Blegh.

"To create population balance."
    Sai wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

Or why they even had separate servers in the first place.

We had tons of players back in the day. Alexina wasn't needed, but it did get people who quit to come back to be the strongest and the first at things on it.

All those people vying for a second chance at Seal Breaker titles.
    Shogai wrote: »
    I just might server change to Alexina if it'll be emptier. Y'all are lucky.

The old servers were small enough that they were merged together, while Alexina was considered big enough to not be merged. What you are experiencing now is nothing new for us. Still it must be coming as a shock to you; that's understandable. Marians are on a twice as big server, Ruairians three times, and Tarlachites four times. It may not be easy to see right now, but you will get used to it and adapt; you all will. Consider this, all that you are now experiencing is nothing new to the folks on Alexina, yet in spite of all that, we'd all like to be merged too.
    Lokitin wrote: »
    So I’ve been doing a bit of reading about servers. Obviously I’m in no way an expert, but it’s now my understanding that servers aren’t as simple as they seem.
    The biggest thing, being cost. A server for a game like Mabi costs a LOT, we’re talkin hundreds-of-thousands to potentially even millions per month. Theoretically, the smaller the server, the cheaper it is (this is likely why there were 4 “small” servers to begin with). Upgrading to a bigger server for the merge is a big deal and was likely a huge financial decision...this is probably one of the reasons it took so long, not to mention all the testing and bug ironing to make the transition as smooth as possible.
    Alexina can probably fit in the Nao server without needing to upgrade to an even bigger size, though I’m not quite sure...it’s possible they’ll need to upgrade again, which is why from a business perspective I wouldn’t blame them for dragging their feet if it means spending more money before we know how things are actually going to settle down. I’d give it at *least* 6 months before they start considering merging Alexina, but it’ll likely be longer than that.

Let’s be nicer to Nexon. They’re clearly working hard and listening to the community, but they can’t rush these sorts of things (such as fixing the name changes) even if they wanted to. Computers are complicated, and emotions run high in the community when there’s the slightest screw up...name change bugs is a small inconvenience compared to what could’ve happened had they rushed things.
    They’re spending lots of time and money to keep us happy, not just server wise but staff wise as well (that server price margin wasn’t even including staff, maintenance, updates, etc. which also cost extra money). They’re always adding new content, new events (even if it’s sometimes a rehashed afk event...it’s still new stuff), new features, etc. and lets us all play for FREE regardless of those costs. I’m grateful Mabi is still around for NA/EU at all. They’re fighting hard to keep us alive and we should all appreciate Nexon’s Mabi Team for that, even when they make mistakes or leave us waiting—at least they’re trying.

Nexon calling Alexina, Mari, Nao, Ruairi, and Tarlach servers is a misnomer. They are not individual physical boxes. Mabinogi is a game housed on many servers simultaneously in what is called a database cluster. What they are calling servers are just partitions in the database that makes Mabinogi. The partitions can be thought of as virtual servers but they are in fact many servers operating together. Each channel is an actual server. This is why sometimes you'll see a channel being rebooted while the game is live. If Nao was just one server then lag would be consistent across all channels regardless of how full any particular channel is.

Good freaking lord, there is so much wrong in these two quotes.

First, its Tarlachians. Use the same naming nomenclature, or don't use any at all; never single one group out with a different name.

Second, Alexina comes last in terms of order, since it was made AFTER the three heroes.

Third, "server" is correct wording. There can be more than one "server" on the same machine.

They did.

"To create balance."

I'd at least like to know why as well.. I mean, possibly because they anticipated that both servers really would be equal in pop. but honestly, it's kind of expected that it wouldn't because of the 'hype' kind of people. Blegh.

Balance is not easy to do. Tip the scale and the imbalance goes the other way.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870

h133F1A32

Mandatory dated meme
    Radiant DawnKensamaofmariChaosShadowKingEphy
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    edited July 9, 2019

They did.

"To create balance."

That's their answer.

Doesn't matter what you think, doesn't matter what I think, doesn't matter what the hobo down the street thinks.

Their answer literally is "to create balance." You can find the hundreds of reasons why that belief doesn't make sense, but it doesn't change the fact that that is what Nexon has decided the reason is.

Meaning they willingly made a bad decision. In all of their "wisdom" or lack thereof).
    Greta
  • Radiant DawnRadiant Dawn
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,195
    Sebastian wrote: »

h133F1A32

Mandatory dated meme

+1 for fire emblem heroes meme <3
    Sebastian
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Did they actually say the reason for the merge was to achieve balance and that's why they did it or did they say that the servers should be balanced after the merge without actually saying why they did the merge? Because those aren't the same things.
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    edited July 9, 2019
    Did they actually say the reason for the merge was to achieve balance and that's why they did it or did they say that the servers should be balanced after the merge without actually saying why they did the merge? Because those aren't the same things.

From the server merge Q and A:
    Q: Which servers are merging? Why?
    A: Mari, Ruairi, and Tarlach will be merged together into a new server, the Nao server. Once the three servers are merged, the population of Nao and Alexina will be similar.

They said the servers should be balanced after the merge without saying why to my knowledge, and I believe the only reason they've given is "... for the future of our servers..." in the Discord, though even that wasn't directly tied to the merge as a whole, but rather Nao getting new channels.

Edit:

There's also this, actually:
    The decision to merge these three servers was not made lightly, and the biggest factor in this is that we wish to ensure a healthy server population and environment.

So, we do have an explanation. It wasn't outright stated as being pushed to achieve overall balance, unless it was said elsewhere, so if anyone has a source for that to disprove my findings feel free to share it. I wonder what the other factors were, though.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    These threads wouldn't need to be closed down if the community moderators/GMs would just answer our questions.

We need people from Nexon America to be t r a n s p a r e n t.
    CrimsọnGretaSherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Pan wrote: »
    These threads wouldn't need to be closed down if the community moderators/GMs would just answer our questions.

Been saying this, but to be honest while some companies preach this it's a lie, they all lie.
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790

silence is also an answer. although atm, its not answering much.
    it be nice to know if it is or isnt going to happen, but im guessing- they "cant" answer it, maybe "feedback" has been sent down the rabbit hole for future plans for the merge changes... (im just guessing)
    they were quick to not merge alexina- (and the silence should tell you as confirmation no future plans are going to happen)

issue is w- ppl dont wanna waist time making new characters and using the event on a new character just for their to be a merge/ or vice versa/ not doing anything and waiting for a unannounced merge in the future, and wasting the current events
    -or if server transfer becomes a thing
    i think the issue with having an event like this RIGHT after a merge, is knowing another event like this may not happen once people make up their minds, or (if) nexon says something
  • HelsaHelsa
    Sebastian wrote: »
    The decision to merge these three servers was not made lightly, and the biggest factor in this is that we wish to ensure a healthy server population and environment.

So, we do have an explanation. It wasn't outright stated as being pushed to achieve overall balance, unless it was said elsewhere, so if anyone has a source for that to disprove my findings feel free to share it. I wonder what the other factors were, though.

It COULD mean that but it could just as easily have meant that they combined the servers because divided they were dying and that being healthy simply means being "big enough" to survive. They haven't said why, nor will they ever; they have been consistently opaque. My guess is because like all companies it is run by folks trained at business school, and such people are motivated by fear. Sometimes that is a useful and prudent thing; sometimes it is not.
    Sherri

I do not believe moderators have the answer, as they are volunteers, not staff. Only the folks in the office in El Segundo... or even the office in Tokyo... or... you get the point.
    SherriSebastianBuffalosRadiant Dawn
  • HelsaHelsa

I do not believe moderators have the answer, as they are volunteers, not staff. Only the folks in the office in El Segundo... or even the office in Tokyo... or... you get the point.

I really don't think anyone would expect the forum moderators to have any answers. The company has consistently shown opacity when it comes to these things. Even though the forum administrators could probably answer a lot, especially after some creative data-mining of their outlook inbox, they've probably been instructed to keep mum.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795

This is entirely true: I know as much as you guys do on these sorts of things. VFMs don't get insider information, as that is not required for moderating the forums.
    SebastianSakura2503Sherri
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    edited July 10, 2019

I really don't think anyone would expect the forum moderators to have any answers. The company has consistently shown opacity when it comes to these things. Even though the forum administrators could probably answer a lot, especially after some creative data-mining of their outlook inbox, they've probably been instructed to keep mum.

Forum mods don't have answers. They're players, just like us. They only have a slightly higher standing on the forums.

As far as in-game, they have the same access to stuff as the new kid does.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    I always laugh at the people that say its "just hype"
    Meanwhile Alexina's population used to be 2x the size of the merged servers.
    So if Alexina's population was 40% the other three would be 20% x 3.
    Which is 60%.
    60% is 66% larger than 40%.

TDLR;
    There servers are NEVER going to be equal unless an entire merged server quits the game.
    Greta
  • ValenmirValenmir
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,385
    Buffalos wrote: »

This is entirely true: I know as much as you guys do on these sorts of things. VFMs don't get insider information, as that is not required for moderating the forums.

Shhh, you shouldn't tell them that, Make them fear your "Power" So they don't get out of control throwing tantrums.
    Though either way there is just no pleasing anyone. No merge, people complain, they do the merge then people will complain.
    Or in my fun situation, It will be like a server war again- "Oh all players from (Insert server.) are scammers and trash--" And so on.