Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Opposite Of Time

FilthyRedDevilFilthyRedDevil
Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
edited January 30, 2017 in Town Square
What's the opposite of time? Googling it didn't give me a satisfying answer......
[Deleted User]

Comments

• KororeKorore
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,765
    emiT
    FilthyRedDevil[Deleted User]
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Er.. immortality?
    I'm not quite sure.
    I know it isn't space, because space and time are pretty much alike.
    FilthyRedDevil[Deleted User]
  • FilthyRedDevilFilthyRedDevil
    Korore wrote: »
    emiT

Glorious answer!!
    [Deleted User]
  • FilthyRedDevilFilthyRedDevil
    Sherri wrote: »
    Er.. immortality?
    I'm not quite sure.
    I know it isn't space, because space and time are pretty much alike.

Hmm I guess it is possible seeing as immortality means that it does not have an end but it still has a beginning though right? Like an immortal human hm~ I guess I'll use that thanks for answering!

[Deleted User]
  • FroglordFroglord
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
    Compression, obviously, if you've played final fantasy 8 that is.

Where everything exists all at once, no entropy, no decay, everything is in utter limbo.
    SherriFilthyRedDevil[Deleted User]
  • Morbious17Morbious17
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,260
    <font color="#8F00FF"/>Can everything we conceive even have an opposite?

From googling, time is: "the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole."

Would the opposite be the indefinite continued reversion of progress of existence? Or would it be non-existence?
    SherriFilthyRedDevil[Deleted User]
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Morbious17 wrote: »
    <font color="#8F00FF"/>Can everything we conceive even have an opposite?

From googling, time is: "the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole."

Would the opposite be the indefinite continued reversion of progress of existence? Or would it be non-existence?

Hmm yeah non existence would make sense too, since time causes us to exist..
    I love theoretical physics. :D
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited January 31, 2017
    ^

The opposite of time is nothing.

Time is something that is perceived by some mechanism or entity. If time is not witnessed or recorded by anything then it becomes irrelevant because there is nothing to validate it's existence. A philosophical thought to keep in mind is; "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Another concept of the opposite of time would be the time in reverse. There would be no entropy, everything would go backwards causing everything to cease to exist. Reinforcing the nothing.

Basically if there is no time nothing exists.

I apologize for using a clip from this movie to express a vague grasp on this subject. But lets face it. It is something immeasurable to our current comprehension.
    FilthyRedDevil[Deleted User]Erydanos
  • Morbious17Morbious17
    <font color="#8F00FF"/>
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Time is a man-made construct.☺
    Ok. Per this thread, what's the opposite man-made construct? :p

[Deleted User]FilthyRedDevil
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    There is no real opposite of time, though one could consider space to be it; space is not a construct, whereas time is...

Of course, in any given definition of time, time itself can also be given as its own opposite. So I'd say overall, time is its own opposite.
    [Deleted User]
  • ShadoeShadoe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,090
    I think the opposite of time is chaos.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    @Shadoe Interesting. But again the opposite of time would be no time and thus nothing. There would be no chaos.
    [Deleted User]
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    `` Rope. ``
    [Deleted User]
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Wind, according to Baten Kaitos.
    [Deleted User]AquasolErydanos
  • ShadoeShadoe
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,090
    edited February 3, 2017
    Gaea wrote: »
    @Shadoe Interesting. But again the opposite of time would be no time and thus nothing. There would be no chaos.

@Gaea
    What I mean is that humans use the idea of time to organize their thoughts and their lives, so without time, we'd have chaos.
    [Deleted User]
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    The opposite of time would be divinity, since time can do almost the same thing with time power but very careful explanation while godhood is nothing more than rules set by the owners. As such who do you think would win? Time itself or owner of time?

The two conscripts I talked do not have evidence, Time was created by man and tales of god were believed by men. Time is different for everyone and each god is different, so we can't really speak if we absolutely know if humanly version of time and god are correct. This also counts for 'nothingness', we do not know what is nonetheless because there is always something we humans try to think for it.

So in a way, we know nothing.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 3, 2017
    @Shadoe yeah well humans would not have to worry about that if time did not exist.

@watercat0 This is black and white, not fantasy. People can't fathom the absence of time because we are constantly moving and going, recording, ext. It's dismal and final, like when we die. The absolute opposite of time would be no time. We don't have to toss in god mod abilities granting mystical powers to prance around in a existence with out time. :rolleyes:

Lets set aside wild fantastical daydreams and get into real theory.
    [Deleted User]
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Gaea wrote: »
    @Shadoe yeah well humans would not have to worry about that if time did not exist.

@watercat0 This is black and white, not fantasy. People can't fathom the absence of time because we are constantly moving and going, recording, ext. It's dismal and final, like when we die. The absolute opposite of time would be no time. We don't have to toss in god mod abilities granting mystical powers to prance around in a existence with out time. :rolleyes:

Lets set aside wild fantastical daydreams and get into real theory.

It is not fantasy, it is reality that we do not have any understanding of what is actually consider "time" or a "God". It is this theory that we all could be in a game without us seeing it. The great shakespeare first consider this way before anyone even started it.

All the world’s a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
    Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms.
    Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
    And shining morning face, creeping like snail
    Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
    Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
    Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation
    Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
    In fair round belly with good capon lined,
    With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
    Full of wise saws and modern instances;
    And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
    Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
    With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
    His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
    For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
    Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
    And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
    That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
    Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

So again we know nothing of our existence or the items brought to us.
  • ZarozianZarozian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    Alright since you humans are so ignorant and can't really see beyond your own "human perspectives".

Time is a concept that humans created. You creatures are the only beings that keep track of time when time doesn't exist for anything else, if you were to leave the comfort of your world and venture out into outer space, with black holes and blazars, do you think time exists anywhere else outside of your own little planet? No.

Time is a human concept and therefore it will vanish with all you humans as well, along with the concept of beauty, justice, truth, and etc, it won't have an opposite unless you humans create one for it.
    watercat0
  • Morbious17Morbious17
    <font color="#8F00FF"/>Did we really "create" time? To me, it seems to be more like a name we've given to something we observe that we have no control over, that has continued to occur before we existed and will do so long after we're gone. It's something that will always be, regardless of whether or not we acknowledge it or give it a name.
    Berryswirl