Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Things have changed!

ArdaitheArdaithe
Mabinogi Rep: 1,045
in Nao Chat
Hello!

Wow, where do I even begin? It's been 10 years. I was barely old enough to be allowed to play this game when I made my first account. I chose to be an elf which I regretted since I could only get all three race cards if I started as a human... My sword had a helpful spirit guide which I adored! I came back out of nostalgia's sake and so much has changed! I love what has happened, but am very overwhelmed. So many new options for talents and I just got 6 character cards on top of three of each race... and a promise of a pet for free after the tutorial? I bought an eagle for a few weeks of allowance way back when, and now I get a free pet! ALSO, Tarlach is gone! I was only allowed to have 2 friends who I knew in real life but still, there was a server merge?

In any case I can't wait to see what's in store now. This looks very exciting, and the basic controls stayed the same! I'm so happy art college reminded me of this game! We discussed the style in class thanks to a peer critique! Anyway, I'm going to get crackin' on leveling up, but would love to get to know some of y'all! I'm Ardaithee in game (Added an e since my user was taken!).

Comments

• HisahimeHisahime
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    Nice to meet you and welcome back to Mabi!
    Ardaithe
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Ardaithe wrote: »
    Hello!

Wow, where do I even begin? It's been 10 years. I was barely old enough to be allowed to play this game when I made my first account. I chose to be an elf which I regretted since I could only get all three race cards if I started as a human... My sword had a helpful spirit guide which I adored! I came back out of nostalgia's sake and so much has changed! I love what has happened, but am very overwhelmed. So many new options for talents and I just got 6 character cards on top of three of each race... and a promise of a pet for free after the tutorial? I bought an eagle for a few weeks of allowance way back when, and now I get a free pet! ALSO, Tarlach is gone! I was only allowed to have 2 friends who I knew in real life but still, there was a server merge?

In any case I can't wait to see what's in store now. This looks very exciting, and the basic controls stayed the same! I'm so happy art college reminded me of this game! We discussed the style in class thanks to a peer critique! Anyway, I'm going to get crackin' on leveling up, but would love to get to know some of y'all! I'm Ardaithee in game (Added an e since my user was taken!).

If you make a human you can earn back those free giant and elf cards; that still works. So, to do things right from the get-go.

Save mastering skills for later. Mastering is a new mechanic, for you, where you can kind of get more ranks beyond rank 1. There is a new, for you, service offered by Duncan where he will reset all your skills back to F. This returns all the AP back to you and lowers your CP. You can then, at a later time just re-spend the AP to boost the skills back up, you don't have to retrain them. This allows you to borrow AP from yourself. It also lets you lower your CP to train CP sensitive skills one at a time, more easily. You want to save mastering skills until after because if you go to Duncan any partial progress toward mastering them will be lost. This service can be used over and over; it's not a one time thing.

Another big change is the combat system. They moved skill load times to the cool-off times, for player characters but not for mobs; they retain the old combat system as do pets and golems which you can summon. This allows you to react to the skills mobs load. In other words, combat is easier now.
    Ardaithe
  • DusqueDusque
    Mabinogi Rep: 535
    Welcome back to Mabi! If you're under 1,000 total make sure to take advantage of the beginner benefits. Getting a good start on Mabi before you past the 1,000 total level threshold can make a really big difference on how much more work you have to put later on.
    Ardaithe
  • ArdaitheArdaithe
    Hisahime wrote: »
    Nice to meet you and welcome back to Mabi!
    Thank you so much!
    Helsa wrote: »
    If you make a human you can earn back those free giant and elf cards; that still works. So, to do things right from the get-go.

Save mastering skills for later. Mastering is a new mechanic, for you, where you can kind of get more ranks beyond rank 1. There is a new, for you, service offered by Duncan where he will reset all your skills back to F. This returns all the AP back to you and lowers your CP. You can then, at a later time just re-spend the AP to boost the skills back up, you don't have to retrain them. This allows you to borrow AP from yourself. It also lets you lower your CP to train CP sensitive skills one at a time, more easily. You want to save mastering skills until after because if you go to Duncan any partial progress toward mastering them will be lost. This service can be used over and over; it's not a one time thing.

Another big change is the combat system. They moved skill load times to the cool-off times, for player characters but not for mobs; they retain the old combat system as do pets and golems which you can summon. This allows you to react to the skills mobs load. In other words, combat is easier now.

So they let you have 12 character cards for free when you start if you befriend both races? That's insane! Woah, thank you for all the tips, I'll definitely revisit your post when I get more into the game! Last time I just enjoyed running around punching things and doing the occasional dungeon with my friend. I want to get into the skill-building and actual strategy this time. I'll keep in mind that the combat changed, and the need to save mastering for later! Thank you!
    Dusque wrote: »
    Welcome back to Mabi! If you're under 1,000 total make sure to take advantage of the beginner benefits. Getting a good start on Mabi before you past the 1,000 total level threshold can make a really big difference on how much more work you have to put later on.
    Thanks! I noticed the last time I logged on that they had a whole list of benefits for new players, and while I am grateful I kinda wish I had that when I was younger. I'm going to milk those advantages for all they are worth until lvl 1000!
  • DusqueDusque
    Thanks! I noticed the last time I logged on that they had a whole list of benefits for new players, and while I am grateful I kinda wish I had that when I was younger. I'm going to milk those advantages for all they are worth until lvl 1000!

Best of luck! By the way, the best way to take advantage of being under level 1,000 is to work on each Talent until you get the Expert Talent Title for that Talent. You get free AP for reaching Novice, Naive, Advance, and Expert. You can also reset your skills rank by talking to Duncan. Doing so would put your skill to Rank F, but every training for the skill will be done up to the rank it used to be. You would just have to put the AP back if want to go back to the skill's rank.

Ardaithe
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited July 19, 2019
    So they let you have 12 character cards for free when you start if you befriend both races? That's insane! Woah, thank you for all the tips, I'll definitely revisit your post when I get more into the game! Last time I just enjoyed running around punching things and doing the occasional dungeon with my friend. I want to get into the skill-building and actual strategy this time. I'll keep in mind that the combat changed, and the need to save mastering for later! Thank you!

I think it's 8 character cards but with free pets maybe it's 12? If you were even back then not too familiar with skill usage, although my main character is on Alexina, I do have some lower ranked ones on Nao, but I do know how to use them, and can show you some useful combos if you need, that will allow you to fight monsters perhaps of higher level than you thought you could.

The best way to handle that is once you just about to total level 800 but before level 800, reset you levels one last time. After that when you rebirth, do not reset levels just change talent, you CAN do that. With Duncans service you will not be short of AP. Try to maximize the amount of AP earned from exploration before you reach total level 1000 as well. There are two daily shadow missions that allow you to earn 3 AP per day as well.
    Ardaithe
  • NemurikoAlexinaNemurikoAlexina
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,310
    Many features were added to get newer players caught up with strong ones. Rebirths were made free long ago, and are still available every 6 days (less if you're low level), but Rebirth Potions are handed out all the time now, from events and beginner quests. There's a special series of beginner quests called Memoirs that was added, a series of about 50 introductory quests which each award 6 million experience. If you're under total level 5,000, you instead get 30 million experience and a rebirth potion, from every quest. It's advised to use the potion you get immediately to rebirth between each quest, to make the most of the experience it grants you. Memoirs begin with a quest called "A Familiar Face" which leads you to Blannid in Dunbarton.

There's currently an event which alternates between 2x skill training and 2x AP gain each week. If you complete Memoir quests, I would recommend doing so during a 2x AP week.
    Ardaithe
  • ArdaitheArdaithe
    I think it's 8 character cards but with free pets maybe it's 12? If you were even back then not too familiar with skill usage, although my main character is on Alexina, I do have some lower ranked ones on Nao, but I do know how to use them, and can show you some useful combos if you need, that will allow you to fight monsters perhaps of higher level than you thought you could.

The best way to handle that is once you just about to total level 800 but before level 800, reset you levels one last time. After that when you rebirth, do not reset levels just change talent, you CAN do that. With Duncans service you will not be short of AP. Try to maximize the amount of AP earned from exploration before you reach total level 1000 as well. There are two daily shadow missions that allow you to earn 3 AP per day as well.

Well, I made my first character, Duncan gave me 6 extra cards, then I already had 3 'Ace' cards in each race, and then if they still let humans befriend the races I could get 2 more free character cards. That seems excessive but I can't complain! :)

I'll look up shadow missions but that sounds super fun! I'm going to make a list of things to remember at what level and try to do my best to follow your tips! Thanks again! If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been playing Mabi?
  • ArdaitheArdaithe
    Many features were added to get newer players caught up with strong ones. Rebirths were made free long ago, and are still available every 6 days (less if you're low level), but Rebirth Potions are handed out all the time now, from events and beginner quests. There's a special series of beginner quests called Memoirs that was added, a series of about 50 introductory quests which each award 6 million experience. If you're under total level 5,000, you instead get 30 million experience and a rebirth potion, from every quest. It's advised to use the potion you get immediately to rebirth between each quest, to make the most of the experience it grants you. Memoirs begin with a quest called "A Familiar Face" which leads you to Blannid in Dunbarton.

There's currently an event which alternates between 2x skill training and 2x AP gain each week. If you complete Memoir quests, I would recommend doing so during a 2x AP week.

That is wild! I also noticed that all the super cool hairstyles and colours were made free too! Does that continue even after level 1000? I'm a little shocked by how many quest tabs there are now, it seems endless! I'll start the memoir quests when the next 2x AP week starts. Thank you for all the information! I'll do my best to follow it!!

• HelsaHelsa

That is wild! I also noticed that all the super cool hairstyles and colours were made free too! Does that continue even after level 1000? I'm a little shocked by how many quest tabs there are now, it seems endless! I'll start the memoir quests when the next 2x AP week starts. Thank you for all the information! I'll do my best to follow it!!

If you want to remain under level 1000 but maximize your AP harvest I would STRONGLY advise AGAINST doing Blannid stuff, until after you decide to go above 1000. Doing Blannid will massively limit the amount of AP you earn from exploration.
    Ardaithe
  • ArdaitheArdaithe
    edited July 19, 2019
    If you want to remain under level 1000 but maximize your AP harvest I would STRONGLY advise AGAINST doing Blannid stuff, until after you decide to go above 1000. Doing Blannid will massively limit the amount of AP you earn from exploration.

I see, so I should focus on the quests in the basic and tutorial tab? BTW if it means anything I chose martial arts as my talent to begin with, which is super cool! I love the knuckles!
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

I see, so I should focus on the quests in the basic and tutorial tab? BTW if it means anything I chose martial arts as my talent to begin with, which is super cool! I love the knuckles!

There will be a separate tab that will have a memoir book after you have satisfied the necessary conditions and meet the NPC in Dunbarton Blaanid. You will receive 24 million exp per quest completed there until you reach a total level of 5000, and 6 million exp per quest thereafter.

You will also receive a good number of rebirth potions (that do expire) and/or usable until level 5000 to allow you to rebirth and maximize the amount of levels you get from the exp.

As Helsa says, finishing the memoir early will rush your character growth and will make things difficult to train your character later on.

After you finish the beginner's tutorials, it is good to work on training several skill sets to above rank A to at least make things easier as you learn the game. Do basic field quests along with dungeon quests is good to help you adjust and adapt to the combat gameplay.

Once you are confident in your abilities, you can choose to do the 1st storyline, which kind of still teaches you some things, or you can go all in and max out the rewards from the memoir.
    Ardaithe
  • ArdaitheArdaithe
    After you finish the beginner's tutorials, it is good to work on training several skill sets to above rank A to at least make things easier as you learn the game. Do basic field quests along with dungeon quests is good to help you adjust and adapt to the combat gameplay.

Once you are confident in your abilities, you can choose to do the 1st storyline, which kind of still teaches you some things, or you can go all in and max out the rewards from the memoir.

What skill sets would you recommend starting with? I know that defense, smash, counterattack, assault slash, and windmill are very important but what other skills are essential to rank in first? I apologise if that is a beginner question, but I feel like I am overthinking this game now and it's only day 2 lol! I barely scraped the surface of advent of the goddess last time because they were pushing people to explore Iria and I thought the elves were the coolest!

Thank you for expanding the information about the memoirs, it's really great to know I can count on this community to help others!
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

What skill sets would you recommend starting with? I know that defense, smash, counterattack, assault slash, and windmill are very important but what other skills are essential to rank in first? I apologise if that is a beginner question, but I feel like I am overthinking this game now and it's only day 2 lol! I barely scraped the surface of advent of the goddess last time because they were pushing people to explore Iria and I thought the elves were the coolest!

Thank you for expanding the information about the memoirs, it's really great to know I can count on this community to help others!

People are very high on chains, that is one skill set that could help you speed up your character development in my opinion.

Then you can go after maybe Dual Guns, Ninja, Magic.

But definitely do complete the basic combats, at least in melee. Doing a combo with other basics like archery and magic at this time will also be helpful.

Maintain a balanced training so you get used to using various skills together.
    Ardaithe
  • HelsaHelsa

It doesn't really matter what talent you pursue, if you remain under lvl 1000 and visit Duncan often, since you'll be able to do them all. Fighter is good, chain is very good. Construct Alchemy is boring but your best chance to make it through situations where you are completely outclassed. In terms of close combat skills used with other non-close combat talents: critical hit, counter attack, defend are good to haves, since the other talents themselves have their own offensive skills. The three basic magic bolts are useful even at rank F for their secondary effects and since they can be cast regardless of what's in your hands.

BTW the idea behind the exploration AP is this: each rebirth the max AP you can get from experience is 200 and from exploration 50. But the lvl 1000 milestone is based on experience. So, regardless of how many rebirths it takes you to get to 1000 you still only earn 1000 AP, but the more often you can rebirth getting there the more total AP from exploration you can earn. See what I mean?
    Ardaithe
  • DusqueDusque
    I see a lot of people are talking about the under level 1,000 benefits. As someone currently doing all the Expert Talent titles before level 1,000 I'll post my strategies and findings here. Currently I'm level 769 with Expert on 13 Talents with 8k+ AP.

Firstly, rebirth into a Hero Talent. Currently there's an event going on that every two weeks you can rebirth into a free hero talent (this week is Merlin). This is important because each Hero Talent has 3 Talents you benefit from just from 1 Rebirth.

Secondly, yes getting to level 200 will offer you a stackable 2x Skill Bonus + a 1/2 Training Requirement Completion, however this will dangerously push you to that 1,000 total level. The Talents you want to use these in are Cooking (because it bypasses the need to do Kitchen Dungeon for R1 Cooking), Ninja (probably the slowest to talent to train), Medicine (to bypass certain Herb requirements) and Chain Slash (also rather slow to train). Ninja and Chain Slash are a bit more bearable because of all the 2x Talent Potions circulating in Auction House because of the current event and gacha, so I wouldn't bother with doing this except for Cooking as it's a pretty important skill. Fun fact, if you're a Hero Talent all three talents benefit from this!

Lastly, some talents are very CP heavy and these are awful to train when you reach higher levels. I would get these talents out of the way first. Magic, Close Combat, Knight, Battle Alchemy, Archery, Puppetry. Getting -cp reducing gear (I prefer to use Marble armor because when you reset your skills your cp would be pretty low anyways and it's not as Overkill as Raccoon Cub).

To make this post even more unnecessarily ludicrous, here's a list of skills I did to achieve Expert on my current Talents and whether or not I did them with their Talent active or not.

Adventure (Talent not required): r3 Campfire and r9 Rest (you don't need r9 rest but I wanted the neat rest animation).
    Archery (Talent not required): r1 Ranged Attack, r1 Bow Mastery, r1 Magnum Shot, r1 Critical Hit (I used dual guns to train this one), rE Crash Shot.
    Battle Alchemy (Vate Talent): r1 Water Cannon, r1 Air Blast, r1 Sand Burst, r1 Flame Burst, and r1 Frost Blast
    Carpentry (Talent not required): r1 Production Mastery (this will appear in so many talents), r8 Carpentry
    Close Combat (Vate or Culinary Talent): r1 Final Hit, r1 Smash, r1 Combat Mastery (Lots of good skills in this Talent so you'll be here a while).
    Cooking (Talent HIGHLY prefered with level 200 bonus): r1 Production Mastery, r1 Cooking (get r1 Tasting too to make Cooking crazy easy).

Holy Arts (Merlin Talent): Get a (Bear, Fox, Rabbit, Squirrel, Tiger) Ragdoll , a healing wand, and do Saga 7. Hit Barrier spikes from the second shadow mission and get r1 Healing and Party Healing by healing the dolls you summoned. Make sure to trap the enemies behind the Barrier spikes before actually training.

Lance Combat (Talent recommended): r1 Lance Mastery, r7 Lance Charge. (This one is not fun).
    Magic (Merlin Talent): r1 Fireball, Ice Spear, and Thunder (Have fun getting these pages)

Martial Arts (Talent preferred but not needed): r9 Knuckle Mastery, r1 Sommersault Kick, r3 Focused Fist, r2 Pummel, r5 Chain Mastery. Go to Cor Village, Form a party, Set Finish Option to "Any", Beat up Kiwis with all your combos. You can rank the other skills too but I assure you they won't rank as fast as these 5.

Medicine (Merlin or Culinary Talent lvl 200 highly preferred): r1 Production Mastery, r8 Herbalism (Find someone with a homestead full of Sunlight, Mana, Blood, and Golden Herbs). White Herbs are from Polar Wasps, Mandrakes are from using L-rod exploration in Ant Hell.

Mercantile (Talent not required): r2 Gold Strike. Set up a party, Set Finish Options to "Any", Kill stuff, Finish target with a 1 charge Gold Strike.

Music (Talent not required): r1 Playing Music (remember those barrier spikes in Saga 7, go to them and turn auto attack on and beat them up and then finish each rank by turning auto play on and going afk), r3 Lullaby, Enduring Melody, Battlefield Overture, Vivace (You will get these four at relatively the same time). Set up your hotkeys like this: 1- Lullaby, 2-Enduring Melody, 3-Battlefield Overture, 4-Vivace. C means Cancel the Skill, so now do 1-C-2-C-1-C-3-C-1-C-4-C-Repeat until r3. If you have a Spirit Tuan pet to give you the exp bonus that would be awesome.

Transmutation (Vate Talent): r1 Rain Casting, r1 Mana Crystalization (Do this one after get r1 in those magic skills we talked about).

Still working on the other Talents but this is essentially what I found efficient.

ArdaitheKensamaofmari
  • ArdaitheArdaithe
    BTW the idea behind the exploration AP is this: each rebirth the max AP you can get from experience is 200 and from exploration 50. But the lvl 1000 milestone is based on experience. So, regardless of how many rebirths it takes you to get to 1000 you still only earn 1000 AP, but the more often you can rebirth getting there the more total AP from exploration you can earn. See what I mean?

I do see! That means that someone could just keep exploring after rebirthing/talking to Duncan and rack up AP without necessarily gaining too many levels to get closer to 1000. I'm guessing that exploration is just walking around Iria? (I'm good at that lol)
    Dusque wrote: »
    Still working on the other Talents but this is essentially what I found efficient.

Holy moly that is quite a list! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it all out! I suppose when I rebirth next I will choose Merlin and see what skills I can start to rank before lvl 200. I do have two questions right off the bat. What is -cp reducing gear? Also, while I am at it, is there any talent that will help me gain HP?
  • HelsaHelsa
    I do see! That means that someone could just keep exploring after rebirthing/talking to Duncan and rack up AP without necessarily gaining too many levels to get closer to 1000. I'm guessing that exploration is just walking around Iria? (I'm good at that lol)

Walking around a VERY specific place in Iria yes; I'll show you when we finally hook-up. Unfortunately for you, this is the one instance where Alexina is better than Nao, but don't be too alarmed by that.
  • TabariTabari
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,590
    edited July 20, 2019
    What is -cp reducing gear? Also, while I am at it, is there any talent that will help me gain HP?

-cp gear refers to enchants that lower a players' cp, like Hamster or Hamster Hunter. As for HP gain, Warrior, Carpenter, Fighter, and Knight. Also working on Edern's Renown builds HP. There are also skills outside those talents that give HP.
  • MusicatMusicat
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
    edited July 24, 2019
    Tabari wrote: »
    or Hamster Hunter.
    Uh... I'm pretty sure that Hamster Hunter only decreases Max. or Min. Attack or something like this. I've had many of items enchanted with it, and never seen anything about "looking slightly weaker".
    Tabari wrote: »
    Also working on Edern's Renown builds HP.
    Right. You should see into gaining renown from the 4th and lower persons on the list (guess it's 3E: Edern, Endelyon, Eluned, and maybe someone else). Their bonuses let your character grow stronger, and I'm sure they don't depend on the level. Some people may be systematically accumulating renown, but, in fact, it comes to you naturally since you perform the corresponding actions throughout the game. The first three persons' renown bonuses are good for you too, but they're more specific.
    Ardaithe