Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Weird noise only when running Mabi?

HemiliaHemilia
Mabinogi Rep: 500
edited July 21, 2019 in Technical Support
Hello. So I've had the problem for years that whenever I start Mabi, there's a noise on the title screen coming from my PC. I read that this is due to uncapped FPS and it never really bothered me because it was just on the title screen. However, since the last update (I believe), there's a "crispy" noise coming from my PC once I start Mabi, and that noise stays as long as the game is running. I believe until a little while ago, that noise was only during the title screen and disappeared once I logged in. I play some other, much more graphic intense games, during which my PC stays completely quiet.
Anyone knows why this is and how to fix this? The noise is bugging me. I already tried using a program to cap my FPS at 60 because it apparently helped others with a static noise during the title screen, but it doesn't help.
The noise also disappears when I minimize Mabi. I thought maybe it's a fan or something else spinning, but Mabi is the only program/game I constantly hear that noise, no matter what other programs (Photoshop, etc.) are running, that are using up way more resources than Mabi should ever be using.

Comments

• EmikoEmiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 570
    That 'noise' is coil whine, and only presents itself when your GPU is under load, some cards have it some cards don't. FPS capping can sometimes help, but more often then not it can't just something you'll have to live with. Sometimes but rarely it comes from your power supply itself, which is still coil whine and there's no way to fix it.
  • HemiliaHemilia
    edited July 23, 2019
    I know what coil whine sounds like, because I hear it from my GPU when playing Black Desert Online on max settings. This isn't coil whine. And this noise wasn't there before, because I would have noticed. Also, as I said before, it's hard to believe Mabi asks more of my resources than other games. I thought it could be the HDD, but why would Mabi access the HDD 24/7 while other games don't? I have no idea though.
    I know that before I hated the noises on the loading screen, but I knew they would disappear once I login. Now it's like they stay. I'm easily bothered by noises.
  • EmikoEmiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 570
    Hemilia wrote: »
    I know what coil whine sounds like, because I hear it from my GPU when playing Black Desert Online on max settings. This isn't coil whine. And this noise wasn't there before, because I would have noticed. Also, as I said before, it's hard to believe Mabi asks more of my resources than other games. I thought it could be the HDD, but why would Mabi access the HDD 24/7 while other games don't? I have no idea though.
    I know that before I hated the noises on the loading screen, but I knew they would disappear once I login. Now it's like they stay. I'm easily bothered by noises.

It's not a case of asking more of your resources, in the case of Mabi it's actually run away frame rate, vsync has never worked on the login screen, thus your actually getting in the 1000s of FPS. Mabi is the only game in my library that makes my 2080 Ti scream like a banshee while on the login screen (pushing around 4950~5000fps according to steam overlay), then quiets down after fully logging in. Only option to really force it to go away is to force vsync through your GPUs control panel.
  • HemiliaHemilia
    I attempted to cap my FPS at 60 for Mabi, but I can't detect any difference. It still sounds the same. I tried using Rivatuner and Nvidia Profile Inspector because those programs were recommended in a different thread mentioning the loud title screen noise.
    I also tried switching between windowed and full screen mode, but that doesn't seem to make a difference either. Really, it wouldn't bother me as much if it was just on the title screen. I guess I just want it to overall run quietly because I usually leave Mabi running the whole day, and constantly minimizing it can make it crash. This never bothered me before, so I truly wonder if a recent update changed something.
  • RaigekonRaigekon
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    From my exp with mabi, it's impossible to cap the fps no matter what you do and just cus you capped it, it doesn't mean the coil whine will go away. It comes down to how the gpu is stressed, not how much it's stressed. Mabi stresses it in a weird way, since it's a really old game in a old engine. So yeah basically can't really do anything about it.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    I always hear a weird noise from my desktop as well when playing mabi but only when logging in. once I am at the character select screen the noise goes away. never really bothered to find out why it does that so it is nice to get some answers to that mysterious sound. my laptop is far weaker and it never makes any weird sounds when running mabi.
  • HemiliaHemilia
    Yeah, my mom's laptop makes no noise either when I visit her and play mabi on it. It's really just my desktop. But I gave up trying to fix it, I googled and it might be coil whine after all. It's just hard to unhear the noise now.
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    It's like the voices in the rain. -.- Cannot unhear it.
  • vdovdo
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    I think we share a problem, it happens with most older games with newer hardware because of their dated sound codec; it's running at a bit rate that isn't native to your newer hardware, it's like a crispy hiss in your headphones, basically just white noise. It's nothing to worry about and definitely not coil whine, it's just the game being older. I got worried and looked this up when WoW was doing the same thing after I had just upgraded my pc and peripherals.