Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Old Player Looking to get Better

RedKiraRedKira
Mabinogi Rep: 1,110
in Help
I'm a 2nd anniversary player and I've played solo most of that time. I do alright in fights, but mostly in a "kill them before they kill me" kind of way.

I'm looking to get more into the "battlenogi" way of things, but I need some advice.

Weapons:
I eventually want to max out, or at least be proficient in all skill types. What are the best weapons you would recommend that I dont have to pay out of my butt to get? I have a few Demonic weapons, but I'm sure they're not the best I could get.

Gear:
Currently I have a R1 Royal Knight set and a R1 Dark Knight helmet as my standard battle gear. The only light armor set I have is the Connous Leather set. I dont have any battle-use accessories except the Light of Palala.
Not an immediate need, but definitely a future want: a puppet to help in Phantasm.

Skills:
Are there certain skills/skill sets I should focus on before others? I'm mainly a warrior, but I've done defecnt dabbling in Archery, Chain Slasher, Bard, and a bit of Battle Alchemy.

Skill Training:
My main issue is CP rank: where are the best places for someone lvl 8k+ to find awful to boss level enemies? I use Their Method Hard to Elite to level "stronger enemies" requirements, but I cant seem to get anything higher than that.

Leveling and AP:
Fastest ways to level up? Other tricks to getting AP?

Crafting, Etc. Type Skills:
Which are useful and which should I leave for last? If I was going to go for the long haul are craft my own weapons/armor (Lang, etc), what are the best ways to train those skills and find the materials?

Soloing:
What is basically unsoloable? What do I need to do to be able to solo an Apostle and train my Crusader skills without others help?

Feel free to offer any other advice (I'm sure I missed a few things.) I've spent to many years on the fence between the fashion and battle aspects of the game and I'd really like to change that.
I'm not apposed to doing things with other players if I need to, but I'd prefer to go solo for the time being (social anxiety problems RIP.)

Comments

• Nightsky7Nightsky7
    Mabinogi Rep: 685
    For skill training, try the golems in the other alchemists or kitchen dungeon for awful enemies and shadow wizards in fomor attack for boss. If you find that the shadow wizards are only awful on hard diffiulty, you will probably have to use cp reducing gear, tendering potions, or elite passes.
    Greta
  • RedKiraRedKira
    Nightsky7 wrote: »
    For skill training, try the golems in the other alchemists or kitchen dungeon for awful enemies and shadow wizards in fomor attack for boss. If you find that the shadow wizards are only awful on hard diffiulty, you will probably have to use cp reducing gear, tendering potions, or elite passes.

I'll look into those; thanks! :)
  • HeleoHeleo
    Mabinogi Rep: 820
    with how crusader skills are set up, it’s impossible to rank them out without another person (2 others for blade and a part of shield) without having to use training seals to bypass those specific requirements which isn’t too advised. Apostle raids are designed with the idea that you don’t solo them, that you work with your team to defeat them, it’s a similar idea with a lot of newer things, such as tech and alban(higher ranks), sure you can solo them with enough damage and gear, but they are made more difficult with hopes that you take a party with you.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    What server are you on and what's your total level?
  • RedKiraRedKira
    Heleo wrote: »
    with how crusader skills are set up, it’s impossible to rank them out without another person (2 others for blade and a part of shield) without having to use training seals to bypass those specific requirements which isn’t too advised. Apostle raids are designed with the idea that you don’t solo them, that you work with your team to defeat them, it’s a similar idea with a lot of newer things, such as tech and alban(higher ranks), sure you can solo them with enough damage and gear, but they are made more difficult with hopes that you take a party with you.

Dang, figured, haha.
    I've definitely noticed the push towards team requirements in generations/skills/etc. lately. Unfortunately, I've been having difficulties actually finding active people/guilds to help. Hopefully in time, though.

Helsa wrote: »
    What server are you on and what's your total level?
    Nao and 8977. I've never found it very easy to level.

• MegasoulMegasoul
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,735
    Leveling up in the game is now, for the most part, as follows:

Levels 1 - 60 (Daily Elite Shadow Missions with Free Shadow Crystals you get from Baltane Unit or Festia + a little bit here and there from other content i.e. Baltane Unit, Pink Bean Homestead Quest, etc.)

Levels 60 - 100 (Basic Baltane Missions, any of the six available, until you obtain a pass for Nowhere to Run Elite or Gatekeeper Elite)

Levels 60 - 150 (Elite Baltane Exp Missions, named above, with the addition of a 3x Crystal that can be bought from Shaun as well as anything else that increases Exp i.e. Returned Bonus, Grandmaster Cleric Bonus, Doll Bag Exp Bonuses, Guardian Title Bonuses, Palalan Embrace Bonus, Combat Potion Bonuses, etc.)

Levels 150 - 200 (Either other high-level content or, preferably, Golden Experience Fruits)

---

Solo Girg. is the only realistic Apostle Raid to solo, and it's very do-able if you have:

A Pet that will attack Girg. during grabs (divine link prefered) as well as something like a Bear Rag Doll for insurance
    A fair amount of damage (solo Girg. shouldn't probably take any longer than 10 minutes or you're too under-powered)
    Health coverage (meaning a lot of potions or a high-rank life drain or a higher-rank Vital Surge etc. etc.)

Note that if your pet or rag doll gets the kill, you can last hit solo Girg. for Blade and Spike training (otherwise, you can only train Shield in solo).

---

Unless you have a pressing need for a skill (i.e. needing frozen blast for the new Abyss Tech runs) you should focus on skills that give you stats for how you play. As a warrior a lot of Strength stat points are locked behind the Ninja talent (see https://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Stats_and_Skills#Strength).

Since you gain 1 Max. Damage per 2.5 Str. when using most melee weapons, if you plan on doing damage with melee exclusively you'll want to get those stats.

The only exception I can think of to the above is CP-related skills like Windmill, that are best to do early when your CP is low enough to have little hassle. Then it's up to you whether you focus CP-skills or Stat-boosting skills.
  • RedKiraRedKira
    Megasoul wrote: »
    Leveling up in the game is now, for the most part, as follows:

Levels 1 - 60 (Daily Elite Shadow Missions with Free Shadow Crystals you get from Baltane Unit or Festia + a little bit here and there from other content i.e. Baltane Unit, Pink Bean Homestead Quest, etc.)

Levels 60 - 100 (Basic Baltane Missions, any of the six available, until you obtain a pass for Nowhere to Run Elite or Gatekeeper Elite)

Levels 60 - 150 (Elite Baltane Exp Missions, named above, with the addition of a 3x Crystal that can be bought from Shaun as well as anything else that increases Exp i.e. Returned Bonus, Grandmaster Cleric Bonus, Doll Bag Exp Bonuses, Guardian Title Bonuses, Palalan Embrace Bonus, Combat Potion Bonuses, etc.)

Levels 150 - 200 (Either other high-level content or, preferably, Golden Experience Fruits)

---

Solo Girg. is the only realistic Apostle Raid to solo, and it's very do-able if you have:

A Pet that will attack Girg. during grabs (divine link prefered) as well as something like a Bear Rag Doll for insurance
    A fair amount of damage (solo Girg. shouldn't probably take any longer than 10 minutes or you're too under-powered)
    Health coverage (meaning a lot of potions or a high-rank life drain or a higher-rank Vital Surge etc. etc.)

Note that if your pet or rag doll gets the kill, you can last hit solo Girg. for Blade and Spike training (otherwise, you can only train Shield in solo).

---

Unless you have a pressing need for a skill (i.e. needing frozen blast for the new Abyss Tech runs) you should focus on skills that give you stats for how you play. As a warrior a lot of Strength stat points are locked behind the Ninja talent (see https://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Stats_and_Skills#Strength).

Since you gain 1 Max. Damage per 2.5 Str. when using most melee weapons, if you plan on doing damage with melee exclusively you'll want to get those stats.

The only exception I can think of to the above is CP-related skills like Windmill, that are best to do early when your CP is low enough to have little hassle. Then it's up to you whether you focus CP-skills or Stat-boosting skills.

Thank you for all the info! It's extremely helpful.
    I've definitely neglected Ninja, so I'll definitely start working on that.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    RedKira wrote: »
    I'm a 2nd anniversary player and I've played solo most of that time. I do alright in fights, but mostly in a "kill them before they kill me" kind of way.

That is the product of the old combat system. They changed it a few years ago by moving load times to the cool down times, but leaving the old system for monsters, pets, and golems under your control. It means that now you can react to what skills the monsters load. This will allow you to set-up some useful combos. Unless of course you follow the max-my-stats-max-my-equipment-and-just-plough-through-stuff-like-a-bull-in-a-china-shop approach. If you'd like to learn some useful combos send me a private PM here on the forums. I have a sub-100 character on Nao and can teach you just how much you can do with proper skill usage.
    I'm looking to get more into the "battlenogi" way of things, but I need some advice.

Weapons:
    I eventually want to max out, or at least be proficient in all skill types. What are the best weapons you would recommend that I dont have to pay out of my butt to get? I have a few Demonic weapons, but I'm sure they're not the best I could get.

Gear:
    Currently I have a R1 Royal Knight set and a R1 Dark Knight helmet as my standard battle gear. The only light armor set I have is the Connous Leather set. I dont have any battle-use accessories except the Light of Palala.
    Not an immediate need, but definitely a future want: a puppet to help in Phantasm.

Here, I am not an expert, since I am working on upgrading my character rather than my stuff. I use off-the-shelf equipment which I don't bother to upgrade. I don't hit as hard of course, but I figure just hit the damn monster again. I have Fergus fix my stuff and since I put no investment into it, other than Holy Water and bothering to fix it, I don't really care when Fergus' hands slip. I buy my stuff expecting to eventually consume it.

Fomor Equipment, purchased at the trading posts, can be quite inexpensive.
    Skills:
    Are there certain skills/skill sets I should focus on before others? I'm mainly a warrior, but I've done defecnt dabbling in Archery, Chain Slasher, Bard, and a bit of Battle Alchemy.

Skill Training:
    My main issue is CP rank: where are the best places for someone lvl 8k+ to find awful to boss level enemies? I use Their Method Hard to Elite to level "stronger enemies" requirements, but I cant seem to get anything higher than that.

Leveling and AP:
    Fastest ways to level up? Other tricks to getting AP?

If you are willing to wait on Mastering and Danning your skills, Duncan can solve ALL your problems here. He has an unlimited service of lowering all your skills to rank F. You can put them back up by just spending the AP back into them without training. This service gives you two things: (1) you have a means to borrow all the AP you want from yourself since the AP spent is returned to you (2) Lowering your skills, lowers your stats which lowers your CP. I would Caveat, that any partial progress towards further ranks or mastering or danning is lost by the service. If you stay on top of it, however, it will save you a LOT of grief.
    Crafting, Etc. Type Skills:
    Which are useful and which should I leave for last? If I was going to go for the long haul are craft my own weapons/armor (Lang, etc), what are the best ways to train those skills and find the materials?

Crafting isn't what it used to be; all the kiddies care about buying these days are gacha items. But if you just like crafting because, then I suggest ranking gathering skills first, then processing skills, then finally the crafting skills. In parallel I would strongly recommend developing the crafting relevant construct alchemy skills, in particular fragmentation. I can't emphasis that skill enough. It will greatly improve your efficiency at ranking. Metal conversion is just as useful but only to mineral related activity, whereas fragmentation is of universal use. Harvest song (bard skill) and raincloud (construct alchemy) are also useful for gathering , processing, and crafting.
    Soloing:
    What is basically unsoloable? What do I need to do to be able to solo an Apostle and train my Crusader skills without others help?

If you use your skills properly, the only constraints on solo play are not having enough space and not having enough time. As long as you have at least one of these you may be able to solo; it all depends.
    Feel free to offer any other advice (I'm sure I missed a few things.) I've spent to many years on the fence between the fashion and battle aspects of the game and I'd really like to change that.
    I'm not apposed to doing things with other players if I need to, but I'd prefer to go solo for the time being (social anxiety problems RIP.)

Contact me anyway. It's not like I haven't met a TON of folks in this game with exactly the same issue.