Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

I can’t decide!!! Human or Elf?

UItimaUItima
Mabinogi Rep: 685
in Help
I’m torn. I want to roleplay as a desert mystic which pretty much falls in line with elves but

I’m not big into archery in games and I like to dual wield/I like melee and magick.

It seems as if I already know what I need to do but does anyone have any input? Eventually I would like to specialize in chain slashing and magick but there’s certain things that are gnawing at my subconscious like how there are elf only swords but melee is a huge taboo.

Help!
  1. Should I make an elf or a human?4 votes
    1. Human
       50% (2 votes)
    2. Elf
       50% (2 votes)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited August 4, 2019
    Elves and Giants don't normally hang out on Iria anyway. Everyone is on Uladh. If you're gonna be hanging out in the desert, you're likely to be doing so alone and bored most the time. The answer seems obvious to me: you don't like archery, you like duel wielding, put on a robe, call yourself Lawrence, use phrases like "peace be upon you" and just play normal Mabinogi. On the other hand, Elves are great at PvE with their Hydra/Hide combo, not to mention only elves can wield a scimitar; your call.
    UItima
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    If this is for role-playing's sake, you wouldn't need to play as an Elf to be a desert mystic. You could still play a human and come up with a creative backstory for them. For example: your character's parents were pioneers that set foot in Iria, but decided to stay in Connous (for whatever reason, that's up to you) and your character was raised like any of the other Elf children growing up. Your parents would've somehow convinced Castanea to stay in the village. Fill in the patches there...

And... not all Elves focus on Archery since many feel the system is flawed. You can operate the Chain Blade and use magic as an Elf. However, if you want to have all-around access to every class, dual wielding, and most weapons, you'll probably want to stick with a human.
    UItima
  • UItimaUItima
    Helsa wrote: »
    Elves and Giants don't normally hang out on Iria anyway. Everyone is on Uladh. If you're gonna be hanging out in the desert, you're likely to be doing so alone and bored most the time. The answer seems obvious to me: you don't like archery, you like duel wielding, put on a robe, call yourself Lawrence, use phrases like "peace be upon you" and just play normal Mabinogi. On the other hand, Elves are great at PvE with their Hydra/Hide combo, not to mention only elves can wield a scimitar; your call.

I picked one for hide but I’m failing at using it in combat. For now I’ll keep playing the elf until I can delete and remake as a human, right now the name will be locked if I try and make it from scratch though
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited August 5, 2019
    UItima wrote: »

I picked one for hide but I’m failing at using it in combat. For now I’ll keep playing the elf until I can delete and remake as a human, right now the name will be locked if I try and make it from scratch though

You cannot hide when you are agroed. Hydra does not lead to agro since you are installing a device that happens to hurt things; technically it is not an attack. This is why after plunking it you can re-hide. Similar to lance charge on a crystal deer. When you lance charge while mounted, YOU are agroed not the deer, so it can rehide, allowing you to rehide while agroed, which then cuts agro. Think of it as a lawyers approach to combat. XD
  • UItimaUItima
    UItima wrote: »

You cannot hide when you are agroed. Hydra does not lead to agro since you are installing a device that happens to hurt things; technically it is not an attack. This is why after plunking it you can re-hide. Similar to lance charge on a crystal deer. When you lance charge while mounted, YOU are agroed not the deer, so it can rehide, allowing you to rehide while agroed, which then cuts agro. Think of it as a lawyers approach to combat. XD

Ahhh, now I see all the fuss about this hydra thing. In terms of my sanity and ocd nature, a human is the safest bet. It just sucks that you can’t really make characters from scratch on Nao right now otherwise I’d be playing way more
  • MegasoulMegasoul
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,735

Technically aggro has nothing to do with hide besides the fact that it removes it; what does matter is whether you have initiated combat. Hydra works for reasons similar to how you've explained as well as lance charge, but it's combat that matters. Hide's useful because you use it to get rid of aggro. My favorite way of playing, since I rarely ever do, as an elf is to summon many pets that do on-summon damage (Pegasus, Bone Dragon, etc.) to deal damage (thereby not entering into combat myself). The best part about this technique is that it can be done while still inside of Hide, whereas using Hydra temporarily reveals you to danger.
    UItima