Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Can't get Nexon Launcher to run on Vista

HemiliaHemilia
Mabinogi Rep: 500
edited August 13, 2019 in Technical Support
I'm having the issue that Nexon Launcher won't open on my Laptop. I have a pretty old Laptop (Vista), just wanna use it to set up a shop which always used to work fine back when they didn't use the Nexon Launcher. And whenever I start the Launcher I get an error that Shell32.dll is missing. I already downloaded the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) and it said it repaired files, but I'm still getting the same error.

I reinstalled the Launcher and now there's no error anymore, but the Launcher won't open at all. I wanted to end the process via task manager and saw that the launcher.exe and runtime.exe keep turning on/off, I can't even end any of them because it says it's not a valid process (I click too slow and they disappear too quick). I reinstalled it countless of times and disabled my Antivirus/Firewall, I still can't get the Launcher to open. Steam is no option because it doesn't support Vista anymore. There's nothing wrong with my Laptop and as I said before, Mabinogi always ran fine on it.

I googled but it didn't turn up much, but as far as I know, Mabinogi should still run on Vista, or not?

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    According to the download page:
    OS Windows 7 or higher
    CPU Dual Core 2.5Ghz or better
    RAM 4GB or higher
    Graphics GeForce 7600GS/Radeon X1300 or better
    HDD 8GB
    Direct X Version Direct 9.0c or newer
    Web Browser IE8/Firefox/Chrome

Vista is before Windows 7, so their tech support is free to say "not our problem". Some folk are able to launch the client directly, bypassing the launcher, although I don't know how; you could try Googling that.
  • HemiliaHemilia
    edited August 14, 2019
    I used to be able to do that, before they introduced the Nexon Launcher. I thought it's not possible anymore, but I will look into it again. I'm pretty sure it's just the Launcher that's the problem and not the game.

Actually, how am I able to install the game without the Nexon Launcher? Because it's not installed anymore because I thought it's a good idea to reinstall the game after the Launcher didn't work. There are threads that say to run the mabinogi.exe but I don't even have that .exe because the game isn't installed.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    The only way I know to still have Mabi.exe is if you have an older version backed up in some storage device. But I don't know if it will run properly because it won't be patched up and that version used Hackshield.

Unfortunately, you will have to plan to get a new computer as it will be tougher to do stuff on old devices as time goes by.
    Musicat
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    @Kensamaofmari is correct..... the old direct launch way won't connect and patch anymore. Attempting to run the old direct launch will cause an auto DL of the nexon launcher as that or steam is the only way of patchnig the game anymore.

• HemiliaHemilia
    edited August 15, 2019
    Well as I said, it's a laptop I pretty much only used to make a shop on mabi or play The Sims 3 on. Mabinogi always ran fine on it. It's the Launcher that's the problem and not the game itself. So I can't set my shop up because I can't get the Launcher to run? There's no way to fix this? Even if Vista is not officially supported by Nexon anymore, the game is about as old as the OS, so it should work.
    It's already annoying that Steam doesn't run on it anymore, my laptop could handle games easily but I'm apparently not allowed to play games on it anymore.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could cause the Nexon Launcher not to run? I've heard from some people that they are still using XP even, which is older than Vista, and there's no issue with the Launcher.
    You have been able to use launcher before this recent incident right? Dunno if restoring to an previous session (from when it was working) would help.
  • HemiliaHemilia
    I was only able to run the old Nexon Launcher. I was on hiatus for a while and just tried now to use the new Launcher. A lot of my friends use secondary older PCs to AFK on, so I never expected issues.
    So you've never used launcher until downloading it recently. And when you try to use it, it never shows up? Not even the updating window?
  • HemiliaHemilia
    I'm able to install it properly, no errors or anything. When I start the Nexon Launcher as admin, nothing happens. But when I check the task manager, the launcher.exe and runtime.exe are running. But they run with interruptions, because they appear/disappear/appear in the task manager. Which is also why I can't manually end them because they disappear/appear too quick.
    Hemilia wrote: »
    I'm able to install it properly, no errors or anything. When I start the Nexon Launcher as admin, nothing happens. But when I check the task manager, the launcher.exe and runtime.exe are running. But they run with interruptions, because they appear/disappear/appear in the task manager. Which is also why I can't manually end them because they disappear/appear too quick.

That's probably because the system is ending it on its own but the program continues to try to restart.
    After going through a couple Maplestory threads, it seemed like some people tried to download the launcher to a different folder instead of the Nexon folder. But that was from a couple years ago.
  • HemiliaHemilia
    You mean install the Nexon Launcher in a different folder that's not called "Nexon"? If so, should I uninstall it and do that? Or do you mean something else?
    Hemilia wrote: »
    You mean install the Nexon Launcher in a different folder that's not called "Nexon"? If so, should I uninstall it and do that? Or do you mean something else?

I believe so, they didn't specify, but you can make a dummy folder not in your regular programs folder and try.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Before reinstalling, did you uninstall first AND make sure all the files were deleted?
    ^What Helsa said
  • HemiliaHemilia
    edited August 17, 2019
    So I installed it in a different folder and it was updating the Nexon Launcher, but after that I got the same problems again. When it was done updating and supposed to open the Launcher.
    I unistalled and deleted everything, even the hidden files. The only thing I can't uninstall is the Nexon Game Manager, but that seems to be a common problem. I guess I will just give up. I already spent hours on this with a friend.
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    Unfortunately since the recent updates you are no longer able to use the other versions of windows besides the one stated and above. Much like businesses...they need to update their mainframes and even Vista based ones are being phased out to windows 7 minimum. I think you can thank Microsoft for not supporting the lesser OS's.

The game runs fine on Pentium 4's ....but they phased those out a long time ago via Irias update. They lost another wave of users when they ended WIN XP and now....Windows Vista. It won't be long til they tell people that they need Windows 10+

I would say to probably save up for a decent Win 10 laptop and do that maybe? Should only be around $300-500 dollars on a good sale. -shrugs- I was on the same boat til I was able to save up...I was on Windows XP and it took me nearly a year...1.5 years before I was able to obtain a new computer to play the game.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Did you try looking into launching the client directly? It might break EULA, of course, but at this point, other than getting a new computer, what choice have you?
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    Helsa wrote: »
    Did you try looking into launching the client directly? It might break EULA, of course, but at this point, other than getting a new computer, what choice have you?

Direct launching was changed a while ago. This is no longer a viable option. Most of the games have set their clients to require a flash trigger that goes into their launcher or somesort to start the game. I've notice the Mabinogi Property tab has a directory link to itself to the launcher to launch the game. I'm sure there are ways to work around it...but unfortunately most things are discussed elsewhere.
    If all fails, I would suggest investing in a new computer. If you're looking for both a work and play computer, you can get something in the $250-$500 range. Or you can get a computer to run games in that same range and save your Vista for work purposes. Eventually within the next few years, your Vista will become completely obsolete unfortunately, so it is prepared to invest in a new computer soon. Oh, and also before tariffs kick in and affect prices for computers.
  • HelsaHelsa
    If all fails, I would suggest investing in a new computer. If you're looking for both a work and play computer, you can get something in the $250-$500 range. Or you can get a computer to run games in that same range and save your Vista for work purposes. Eventually within the next few years, your Vista will become completely obsolete unfortunately, so it is prepared to invest in a new computer soon. Oh, and also before tariffs kick in and affect prices for computers.

Or since, through no fault of your own, your back is against the wall, this . . .
    asnscorpio wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

Direct launching was changed a while ago. This is no longer a viable option. Most of the games have set their clients to require a flash trigger that goes into their launcher or somesort to start the game. I've notice the Mabinogi Property tab has a directory link to itself to the launcher to launch the game. I'm sure there are ways to work around it...but unfortunately most things are discussed elsewhere.