Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

[UPDATE] Addition of Sales Tax When Purchasing NX

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
edited September 26, 2019 in Notices
Dear Milletians,

We are legally required as a company to collect sales tax on monetary purchases from some states or provinces in the United States and Canada. Starting October 1, 2019, we will begin collecting sales tax on NX purchased on the Nexon website for those locations. This will only affect players purchasing NX from within the United States and Canada.

When you purchase NX from the Nexon website, your country will either be automatically determined, or you will be prompted to select a country. If your location is in the United States or Canada, you will also need to provide your zip code for tax calculation purposes.

The sales tax will then be adjusted based on your location, and added to the total purchase amount. You will be able to review the final price before making the actual purchase.

When redeeming a Karma Koin card on the website, the sales tax will be calculated and the amount of NX you receive from the card will be adjusted to account for it.

Once your purchase is complete, you’ll receive an email confirmation that clearly shows the amount of tax paid.

Sales tax is only calculated when purchasing NX from the Nexon website. Using NX for in-game or Web Shop (for Mabinogi) item purchases does not incur sales tax. If you are buying an in-game item using NX and have insufficient funds, you have the option to purchase additional NX. NX purchased at this time would be eligible for sales tax.

- The Mabinogi Team

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I'm surprised it took this long to collect sales tax.
    WolfsingerNeroySherriDarkpixie99DANIartsRadiant Dawn
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited September 23, 2019
    Oh great, so the U.S. is going to get taxed to death too. Just like Canada we won't get our full worth of NX? -_-
    I'm probably not gonna bother buying much anymore now.
    (Or at least until my family gets waaay more stable jobs and we actually have extra cash in the bank lol)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Take the bloody taxes out of your own profits then. :|

My god, this just keeps getting better and this year goes by. The WORST year for Nexon EVER. You trying to drive us away? This is going to make me spend even less. Which is going to make this company suffer even more. This must be another poor knee jerk decision to increase revenue after you guys restructured, layed off emplopyees, that petition in KR, failure to sell the company - which cause the stocks to drop even more, shut down and cancelled games...

What's next Nexon? Dare I even say it on here??? You know what's next. Just get it over with. :|
    Sherri wrote: »
    Oh great, so the U.S. is going to get taxed to death too. Just like Canada we won't get our full worth of NX? -_-
    I'm probably not gonna bother buying much anymore now.
    (Or at least until my family gets waaay more stable jobs and we actually have extra cash in the bank lol)

Oh, hoho, the US love their taxes, the thing they supposedly had a revolution to get rid of.
    "The only certainties of life, are death and taxes." - Benjamin Franklin
    justshowingWolfsingerSherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Neroy wrote: »
    Tfw when you live in Taxifornia x.x

Freaking hell hole. Poop everywhere. Glad I don't live there anymore. It costs you a 1000 bucks just to be a roommate. They wonder why there are so many homeless people crapping everywhere.

I got written up once on here saying "I hope California falls off into the ocean." I wonder since it's been 6 years since that comment if that mod is now wishing it would too since now I'm pretty sure they are older and have financial responsibilities and are suffering under the weight of California living which just gets worse and worse. XD

Then they pass off the expenses to US. Nope. No. That state needs to become it's own country. Be done with it. It was hilarious when they were thinking of doing Calexit and the rest of the country was like YEAH DO IT LOL. Then California was like oh wait we uh nevermind. lol.

XD
  • NeroyNeroy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
    CrimsọnWolfsinger

Well, I've survived in it, so might as well get used to it now.
    Crims wrote: »

Freaking hell hole. Poop everywhere.

Mr Trump strikes again.
  • AkirachuAkirachu
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,260
    welp your not getting my money anymore ill give it to a better company gg nexon way to piss off your players
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn

Mr Trump strikes again.

This has NOTHING to do with Trump.
    LeineiWolfsingerBlissfulkillSherri
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    Trump is still stupid!
    PlatinaKokiSherriShanky

Mr Trump strikes again.

This has NOTHING to do with Trump.

No, but as Americans, the scapegoat goes to the person of the highest authority.
    Darkpixie99Radiant DawnAlexisEUSherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Trump is still stupid!

So was Obama, so was Bush, so was Clinton.

The reason why this thread has turned into a political thing. The cost of living is increasing everywhere (more so in California exponentially) and now it's impacting the games we play.

Nexon just move the company OUT of California. Lots of companies have done it and more are doing so, that way they don't have to pass on the expenses to their customers. Because if it had nothing to do with costs then you could certainly just take this "required" tax out of your own freaking revenue.

BTW...you know some states have ZERO percent sales tax right? What's the stop someone from using a VPN and saying that they are from Alaska? Just like people from Belgium use a VPN to still purchase gacha.

This is so stupid.
    Darkpixie99LeineiDANIartsWolfsingerPlatinaKokiAkkedoSherri
    Honestly, I don't see a reason to be upset with Nexon. Everyone who is upset, should be upset at the North American governments and their desire to tax everything and people generally don't see where those tax revenues are spent, and it's definitely not spent on taxpayers and in pensions.

This is how I see it. Nexon has always been paying taxes and not pass it onto us, the consumers because before it was viable. Nowadays, with taxation rates increasing and/or governments have become more strict to enforce collection of taxes, they don't have a choice but to pass it down to the consumers.

This is similar to media service providers who negotiate with the big companies to supply consumers with entertainment. When the big companies get greedy, they give unreasonable demands to the service provider, who has to decide on whether to drop that product from their service or have their clients pay more. This can be said the same with governments being the greedy company and Nexon as the service provider, and in this case, they cannot negotiate with greedy governments, so the taxes pass onto the consumers.

I don't see the issue being that Nexon NA is based in CA, its easy to pinpoint and scapegoat California for taxes, well because taxes in California are rather high, or there are too many categories of taxes, but with the announcement, it's targeting all of the US and Canada that have local sales taxes. So, I think that implies something more of a national authority in the 2 countries.
    DraechDANIartsSherriSebastian
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    welp your not getting my money anymore ill give it to a better company gg government way to piss off more people

Fixed for you.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Here is a list of zero percent sales tax states:

Alaska
    Delaware
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    Oregon

We get to input the zip code right? Do you see how pointless this is?

OH AND BTW did you guys even account for that when we buy Nx from offgamers or pcgamesupply that we get taxed already? So basically we are gonna get DOUBLE taxed.

Yeah this is going to fly well. Especially with people who can't buy the physical Karma cards anymore. You guys did not think this through at all. Your brains are stuck in California. 9dnGeIh.png
    Darkpixie99WolfsingerSherri

Alaska
    Delaware
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    Oregon

We get to input the zip code right? Do you see how pointless this is?

I would believe they would use the zip code from your billing info.
    Unless you have a separate residence in those states, I think they'll use your billing info's address.
    Darkpixie99
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390

Alaska
    Delaware
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    Oregon

Zero percent sales tax states come with great benefits, like no free healthcare. I don't get why you're always so pissed off at everything; if you don't like the game and the way the company functions, nothing's stopping you from just walking away.
    Sebastian
  • LegantLegant
    Mabinogi Rep: 765
    Fantastic. I've been spending too much money on this game. Now that there's a tax, I have a good incentive to stop.
    Wolfsinger
    Draech wrote: »

Alaska
    Delaware
    Montana
    New Hampshire
    Oregon

Zero percent sales tax states come with great benefits, like no free healthcare. I don't get why you're always so pissed off at everything; if you don't like the game and the way the company functions, nothing's stopping you from just walking away.

Well everyone should be pissed off when they're being ripped off. Except, Nexon may not be the one that should be targeted in this but rather governments.
    DraechSherri