Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Should I come back to the game?

ReinstateDiplomacyReinstateDiplomacy
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in General Chat
It was a little over 5 years ago when my Nexon account was hacked and I lost access to my old Mabi account. Since then I never really made a comback to the game, yet I always thought maybe I should do it. Now here I am asking the same question. Is it time to come back to the game? Is it worth it?

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited September 30, 2019
    People will always be divided on whether it is worth it or not.
    There have been a good number of changes and updates, I think would be good to at least consider coming back to see if it suits you.
    There is also good incentives to start anew if you want to.
    Also plenty of storyline additions in these past 5 years I think would be worth your time.

One of the main issues that persists is the player market hyperinflation that makes acquiring certain items quite difficult if you don't have an in game source of income, but usually everyone has a way to build their coffers legally.
    pawcalypseReinstateDiplomacyWolfsingerSherri
  • SpecialGirlSpecialGirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 680
    edited September 30, 2019
    The game is still fun and if you are just here for the fun then the hyper inflated market wont really bother you too much. New Logins have access to a lot of pick me ups and bonuses that makes training easier if you abuse them. You do not have to abuse them and can just have fun with the story you can get far with just some crossline plate and a blue upgraded gladiusx2/claymore/leatherlongbow just don't expect to do the stuff ment for people with r1 everything and fully enchanted pay2win armor like tech duinn hard. That being said that gear is by no means useless you can easily do shadow mission elites and most dungeons on most difficulties with that gear there is a ton of content and you can play it all without spending a dime if you find the combat and class less system to tickle your fancy.

Forgot to mention there is a way to get better gear for people who don't spend money or buy from other players but the gear I brought up can be obtained VERY VERY easily
    ReinstateDiplomacyWolfsingerSherri
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Just decide yourself?
    ReinstateDiplomacy
  • starkiller1286starkiller1286
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    If you bothered (re)making a form account it wouldn't hurt to spend a day to a week in the game to see what changed and if you would mind playing it again.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Of course you should, it's so much easier now to achieve a useful character quicker.
  • JulieyeaaJulieyeaa
    Mabinogi Rep: 430
    I came back
    Made a new account. Played for 1 week. Completed G1. Notice that nostalgia went away. There are no newbies to mingle with. Some end players are nice, but most of them are afk. It is not the same as before. People waiting at shadow mission altar, or waiting at dungeon altar to run is not as common.

Give it a shot. If you like to play solo you might stick back. But the social aspect seems a little bit more challenging don't expect people to help you out the first few times you ask. The new player system is nice tho.
    pawcalypseGoldtiger01
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    It's a good time to come back on a fresh character and a fresh account, actually. Between the Lorna and Pan newbie quests and the Memoir quests, leveling up and getting stronger is easier than ever (I like to use the Memoirs to get a nice AP cushion when training skills so I don't have to stop, rebirth, and grind all those levels just to get the AP I need). Events give out nice pets on a pretty regular basis, too. Sadly, you just missed out on a Milkyway Ice Dragon, but some cool new event mount will more than likely be available by Christmas time. Plus, they just revamped the pet system, and it's actually pretty good. The current event is even giving out pet dyes, so if you finish the first Saga and get your pegasus, you can personalize it pretty easily and cheaply right now.

So...yeah, check things out right now. It's a good time to do it! (Just make sure to stock up on Corn Tea, because one of the current events' daily quest requirements is murder on your waistline!!)
    Wolfsinger
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Honestly, the game is not worth returning to. It is very p2w and the community is toxic.

I haven't met TOO many of those kinds of peoples lately?...then again I've also been hiding in a corner afking cause of classes so...
    pawcalypse
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Honestly, the game is not worth returning to. It is very p2w and the community is toxic.

Let us inject more toxicity into your soul hsssss
    pawcalypseSherri
  • MabiIn2k19MabiIn2k19
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,390
    Insane amounts of P2W and Real world trading is so rampant that it's used almost exclusively for end game gear. Up to you.
  • WliaWlia
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,205
    edited October 4, 2019
    well from all ppl say here i can sum it up for you
    1st of all its same old mabinogi but you may notice some stuff is harder than it used to be mainly dungeons.
    2nd as ppl say and few deny the game does have massive gold REAL world trading going on if you want cute costumes or new stuff it will cost bloody amount of gold
    but note this game is not Pay to Win as some say sure there are some op cash armour and few weapons but no its still much better than most other mmos out there.
    3rd new chars now can lvl up really fast up to total lvl 5000 it may be even way bit to fast.
    4th Nao is result of 3 server merge so you may notice bit latency or little longer loading times and some places may be much more crowded than they used to be
    but as i was saing this died out a bit and yes majority of the ppl are always AFK (trading or just showing of their expensive stuff )
    6th there is huge chunk of story to do after that long time and the story it self is pretty good but dont rush some G storys have really nasty and (broken) mechanics but they are all still good.

beyond all that there is nothing much else to talk about there are some updates new combat weapons and skills
    its still sadly same MMO that you still have to do everything alone as nearly everything major (or story vise) is solo.

If you ask if its worth playing in 2019 than i have to say:
    YES if you can find some friends in the game or have some friends to join you
    but NO if you plan to play this totally alone there are better online games.
    Sherri
  • ZebbiZebbi
    Mabinogi Rep: 250
    Yeah you should I'm NEW to the game I know its old and kinda boring when you're a solo player I trying to find myself a player who aren't actually AFK. Play with me then haha
  • MabiIn2k19MabiIn2k19
    Wlia wrote: »
    2nd as ppl say and few deny the game does have massive gold REAL world trading going on if you want cute costumes or new stuff it will cost bloody amount of gold
    but note this game is not Pay to Win as some say sure there are some op cash armour and few weapons but no its still much better than most other mmos out there.

No it really is. Let me break it down for you

ALL best in slot enchants are from a gacha minus divine weapon exclusives
    Over half your damage, and probably a good 75% of utility comes from reforges, which is cash shop exclusive
    If you're human or giant BiS gear is from gacha (Saint guardian) and the best chain outfit, gacha only too. Best shoes are gacha only as well (Fleet feet)
    Homestead items that give stats like crit damage and music buff, gacha only. Sure we got free ones but those stack with the gacha versions, making the gacha versions even more important to have.
    Step 7 protective upgrade stones, cash shop only.
    Skill training seals in the bundles letting you skip any and all training methods, as well as training pots themselves cash shop only
    Enchant protections so you don't blow up gear worth hundreds of millions cash shop only
    Combo Card time extenders, and revives cash shop only

There's more too. Don't kid yourself about this game being not p2w, with how time gated a lot of progression in mabi is, that you can skip with $$$ I'd even argue it's worse than most other p2w games. All we're missing is stats and reforges in the style tab.
  • WliaWlia
    edited October 6, 2019
    MabiIn2k19 wrote: »

Over half your damage, and probably a good 75% of utility comes from reforges, which is cash shop exclusive
    If you're human or giant BiS gear is from gacha (Saint guardian) and the best chain outfit, gacha only too. Best shoes are gacha only as well (Fleet feet)
    Homestead items that give stats like crit damage and music buff, gacha only. Sure we got free ones but those stack with the gacha versions, making the gacha versions even more important to have.
    Skill training seals in the bundles letting you skip any and all training methods, as well as training pots themselves cash shop only
    Enchant protections so you don't blow up gear worth hundreds of millions cash shop only

There's more too. Don't kid yourself about this game being not p2w, with how time gated a lot of progression in mabi is, that you can skip with $$$ I'd even argue it's worse than most other p2w games. All we're missing is stats and reforges in the style tab.

you know play as many mmos as me and than cry about mabinogi being so much pay to win as you say here...
    everything you post here only looks more like you just simply jelly on anyone having these things and in reality you dont really need them for pretty much anything unless you just want the extra edge in the game i so far did everything i wanted and didnt needed any +7 stuff any enchants/reforges or tons of items in homestead.
    i state my word this game is not pay to win SURE there are cash stuff (there will always be that no mather what) i dont deny that but its not as bad as you make it sound to be.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Having the very best possible stats is important for PvP. For PvE, one can always just hit the monster again. If one dies in PvE then they can revive or retry. If one dies in PvP, it's over; they've lost. So, if happiness in gaming can ONLY be found by not spending any money and having a winning record against the very top tier PvPers, if anything short of that won't do then, either, it's best one doesn't play or one needs to reassess why they game.
  • MabiIn2k19MabiIn2k19

you know play as many mmos as me and than cry about mabinogi being so much pay to win as you say here...
    everything you post here only looks more like you just simply jelly on anyone having these things and in reality you dont really need them for pretty much anything unless you just want the extra edge in the game i so far did everything i wanted and didnt needed any +7 stuff any enchants/reforges or tons of items in homestead.
    i state my word this game is not pay to win SURE there are cash stuff (there will always be that no mather what) i dont deny that but its not as bad as you make it sound to be.

You know an anecdote in a debate isn't a point right? I've played a ton of varying MMO's and just because you clearly do not understand endgame in mabi, doesn't mean it's not p2w. You can clear phantasm with npc weapons, it'll take a couple hours but you can, this doesn't mean that gear isn't valuable. The difference in p2w gear and the best in slot free gear is an insane amount, it's not even comparable. I'm really not jelly, as I already a few weapons at erg 40 setup, I don't need anything else really meanwhile you're over there with crap gear saying you don't need good gear, sounds like a bit of projection to me.
  • WliaWlia
    edited October 7, 2019

You know an anecdote in a debate isn't a point right? I've played a ton of varying MMO's and just because you clearly do not understand endgame in mabi, doesn't mean it's not p2w. You can clear phantasm with npc weapons, it'll take a couple hours but you can, this doesn't mean that gear isn't valuable. The difference in p2w gear and the best in slot free gear is an insane amount, it's not even comparable. I'm really not jelly, as I already a few weapons at erg 40 setup, I don't need anything else really meanwhile you're over there with crap gear saying you don't need good gear, sounds like a bit of projection to me.

No point talking to you dense as you can be
    what you say is not pay to win to me PAY to get the edge or easy time yes but its you clearly you who do not understand what pay to win is really about but have it your way im tired of your salt and wont reply here anymore if you ARE THAT bothered just leave the game all i can say.
  • LidrsterLidrster
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,830
    I'm not giving names, but seeing the hate some forum members (can't really call them players) have for Mabinogi, I really wonder what they are doing here in the first place...

Anyway, back to the point.
    Mabi had a lot of improvements over the years, many of these are indeed locked behind a paywall, but if you just want to have fun, they are not necessary.
  • MabiIn2k19MabiIn2k19

No point talking to you dense as you can be
    what you say is not pay to win to me PAY to get the edge or easy time yes but its you clearly you who do not understand what pay to win is really about but have it your way im tired of your salt and wont reply here anymore if you ARE THAT bothered just leave the game all i can say.

So you have zero points to stand on, and instead choose to fling insults and talk down to me. I'll hit you with some more info too

Right now the best setup for human is and for the sake of argument, we'll assume everything is the max roll even though without enchant protections you most likely wouldn't even enchant things.

Ult Geas Devastation circlet (Brainstorm +17/Chorus +13)
    Saint Guardian chest (Pure +20 max/ Whisper +22 max)
    Ult Geas Devastation gloves (Resolution +17 max/ Backbreaking +15)
    Fleet feet (Resolution +17 max/ Symbolic +10)
    Grandmaster festia wings +10 max, attack speed delay set
    Horned ring/rabbit feet (Creepy +20max /Haunted +48) x2

Totaling 277 max Attack speed +20, attack delay +10, movement speed +10, reaper proc +10

Compared to our "free" user who wouldn't ever get this without enchant protections, which are cash shop only, granted you get free ones once in a while but it's not nearly enough to cover all this.

Ult geas circlet ( amnesia +13/ Chorus +13)
    Langu chest ( long lasting +18/ heroic +20)
    Langu gloves ( Marquis +10 / backbreaking +15)
    Ult geas boots (amnesia +13/ symbolic +10)
    Any robe, destruction robe not counted as it's not realistic even for paying players
    Horned ring/rabbit feet ( amnesia +13/ Successor +6)

Totaling 140 max, attack speed 10, reaper proc 10

This isn't counting all the reforges that a "free" user couldn't have, the lack of movespeed boost, the cut def/prot and the insane amounts of luck you'd need to actually get amnesia 4 times. This doesn't count the different music buff that gacha only gives, the 2nd titles that are gacha only, the homestead stat items that are gacha only the list goes on. Before it's mentioned as well, it'd take YEARS worth of free reforges to even chip at what you'd need. Without the cash shop, assuming you have almost impossible luck you'd end up having 150+ less max, and no reforges resulting in maybe being about 1/3rd that of a paying player.
    Lidrster wrote: »
    I'm not giving names, but seeing the hate some forum members (can't really call them players) have for Mabinogi, I really wonder what they are doing here in the first place...

Anyway, back to the point.
    Mabi had a lot of improvements over the years, many of these are indeed locked behind a paywall, but if you just want to have fun, they are not necessary.

Defamation.