Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Player Trading Etiquette

franklynrayfranklynray
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in General Chat
I feel like this has probably been talked about somewhere on this forum but I can't find anything about it.

I've been playing Mabinogi on and off for several years but I'm the type of player that sticks to himself and doesn't talk to other players. Actually, it's only recently that I've even started going to player shops in channel 1.

The thing is, I'm looking for a specific item and I want to see if any players would be willing to trade for it, but I just don't really know the etiquette around doing so. I don't really want to be that guy running into each crowd of people asking to trade and asking in the channel chat in channel 1 intimidates me (plus I think I read in a couple of forum posts here and there that there are scammers to be aware of). Either way, I just don't really know what I should be doing and how I should be doing it to not get on other player's nerves.

And in case anyone was wondering, I wanted to know if anyone would trade the workshop desk that you can get from the Moonlight Halloween Event. I would get it myself but I didn't start the event until the 6th, so I can't complete 10 daily quests to get it.

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Out of game, you can use the different social media functions to put your listing out.

On forums in the server marketplace, you can post your listing of what you want. If it's a high value item, people will often give them their character name and ask others to either send a note in-game with an offer or have them request add to friend list.

You can also make use of the various discord servers, which most of them have their own market thread where you can ask people about your inquiry.

In-game, you can also post a listing via party function by typing out your listing/offering.

These are the common ways to communicate with others for trading items that are not commonly found.
    pawcalypsefranklynray
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    When it comes to finding an item in game, you can either search the name on the Auction House, or, as said above, create a party ad.

If you are unaware of how a party ad is made, creating a dungeon party and holding up the ad will cause it to flash under the "wanted" section of the channel's party chat. So for the halloween workshop desk, you would make a dungeon party named "B> Workshop Desk NM". The "NM" standing for "Note me", a common way for a seller (or buyer in other cases) to contact you. You can also list a price you are interested in paying in the ad.
    People will also typically hold up the ad in a market town like Dunbarton or Belvast

The most important thing when running an ad is patience. Don't be discouraged if you don't get any notes really quick.

Besides that, don't be afraid to ask people in game for advice on making gold or how to buy/sell certain things on the market.
    I know you're intimidated, but I'm sure a good amount of people in this game would be happy to help.
    pawcalypsefranklynray
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    The key word, already stated, is patience. I noticed that in Dunbarton now you can get 10M and 20M limit licenses. Perhaps this is the case everywhere now? Anyway, you can search personal shops using a keyword with some pets; they will run to the shop selling it. But also you can apply patience by just waiting for the item to go on sale. If you advertise that you want one, that means you're probably willing to pay more for it. By patiently waiting silently you may save yourself some gold.
    franklynray
    Helsa wrote: »
    The key word, already stated, is patience. I noticed that in Dunbarton now you can get 10M and 20M limit licenses. Perhaps this is the case everywhere now? Anyway, you can search personal shops using a keyword with some pets; they will run to the shop selling it. But also you can apply patience by just waiting for the item to go on sale. If you advertise that you want one, that means you're probably willing to pay more for it. By patiently waiting silently you may save yourself some gold.

Most markets are 10 mil free and 20 mil VIP now, but as always searching thru personal shops is based off luck.
    franklynraypawcalypse
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    Let's also talk about how you should NOT note people or ADD people asking to buy their items that they are not selling.
    franklynrayKensamaofmaripawcalypseBlissfulkill
    FayeKaiba wrote: »
    Let's also talk about how you should NOT note people or ADD people asking to buy their items that they are not selling.

Yes, if you have something to sell, you can just post and advertise your goods in a personal shop. Or list them on the Auction House.
    Using a party, you can also use the same feature of requesting people to note or add you and not you going to note/add them.

If you are uncertain of what price to list. You can check if average prices or other listings on AH exist, or you can ask on the social media platforms for a price check to see if anyone has any insight on that item.
    franklynray
  • franklynrayfranklynray
    Thank you so much for all the great input! I'll definitely look around the player shops and maybe I might get lucky and find a listing. However, I think I'll try the party ad thing at some point. Since I don't play the game that much, I don't really mind paying a little more for it but, then again, I never know when I'm overpaying or not.

Since the event is still going on, I feel like I might have a good chance in finding someone to trade with, but I guess we'll see.
    Thank you so much for all the great input! I'll definitely look around the player shops and maybe I might get lucky and find a listing. However, I think I'll try the party ad thing at some point. Since I don't play the game that much, I don't really mind paying a little more for it but, then again, I never know when I'm overpaying or not.

Since the event is still going on, I feel like I might have a good chance in finding someone to trade with, but I guess we'll see.

If items are listed in shops and AH, go check out the prices. And if it isn't listed, you can always ask for price checks and for availability.
    franklynray
  • franklynrayfranklynray
    Nilrem wrote: »
    When it comes to finding an item in game, you can either search the name on the Auction House, or, as said above, create a party ad.

If you are unaware of how a party ad is made, creating a dungeon party and holding up the ad will cause it to flash under the "wanted" section of the channel's party chat. So for the halloween workshop desk, you would make a dungeon party named "B> Workshop Desk NM". The "NM" standing for "Note me", a common way for a seller (or buyer in other cases) to contact you. You can also list a price you are interested in paying in the ad.
    People will also typically hold up the ad in a market town like Dunbarton or Belvast

The most important thing when running an ad is patience. Don't be discouraged if you don't get any notes really quick.

Besides that, don't be afraid to ask people in game for advice on making gold or how to buy/sell certain things on the market.
    I know you're intimidated, but I'm sure a good amount of people in this game would be happy to help.

So, I was gonna try to place a dungeon ad but the character limit for the party name is very limited (only 9) but im seeing lots of players ads that are longer than that.
  • franklynrayfranklynray
    Actually nvm, I figured it out.

As I said, I'm gonna take the advice from everyone! Thanks again for being so helpful! Wish me luck!
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    they should make the AH have a player name so that I know who has the item if I had money for it but did not sell yet (expired sales time) to make an offer if they don't feel like the price they list is even selling.

Cus ya know...making a deal with me is like selling your soul. -wide smile- jokes aside I still want AH to show the seller's name.

This also make bots using AH more obvious than it already is.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Alshian wrote: »
    they should make the AH have a player name so that I know who has the item if I had money for it but did not sell yet (expired sales time) to make an offer if they don't feel like the price they list is even selling.

Cus ya know...making a deal with me is like selling your soul. -wide smile- jokes aside I still want AH to show the seller's name.

This also make bots using AH more obvious than it already is.

This also gives opportunity for sellers to get harassed, so nope.
    franklynrayVeylaineWolfsingerpawcalypse
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    edited November 13, 2019
    FayeKaiba wrote: »

Seriously, I turned off view equips because of how often someone tried to buy the mandolin on my back.
    pawcalypseWolfsingerBlissfulkill
  • MysticbluwaMysticbluwa
    Mabinogi Rep: 560
    They should have an option to show your player name or not. So if you are willing to take offers, you can get notified. I would love to make offers/get offers from the auction board since it is so accessible, unlike with party ads where you have to go to ch 1 and just hope someone happens to be looking at the party chat. >.>
    Wolfsinger
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    They should have an option to show your player name or not. So if you are willing to take offers, you can get notified. I would love to make offers/get offers from the auction board since it is so accessible, unlike with party ads where you have to go to ch 1 and just hope someone happens to be looking at the party chat. >.>

Okay that's fair. I could support that