Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Tell me your tales of RNG suffering

NilremNilrem
Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
in General Chat
So I'm sure with how infamous this game's random, RNG based nature can be, we must all have stories to tell of when it got a little bit out of control.

I'm not talking about rare item drop rates. You not getting that Saint Guardian from the event is RNG being normal.
I'm talking about the cases where something should be really, REALLY simple, but RNG decides to make you suffer with it.

Let us all share our suffering together so we may laugh about it. In sadness and/or anger.
A tiny bit of salt in your life can be healthy, after all.

To start the topic, here is a tale that just happened today.

I had just made an impressive sum of gold, and finally could invest in a Celtic Chain.
I had saved up loads of Prof Hammers and Artisan Removal Kits and everything was going smoothly.
24 damage roll Artisan, 2nd try. RNG appeared to be in a good mood today.

Then came the special upgrade.
I had 2 lucky stones, so I only needed to reach Step 3 to go for the full upgrade.
With 50% chance on Step 2 and 3's upgrades, this by all realistic standards should be fine and simple right?
I mean that is what I thought as I watched 8 stones fail to even reach step 2. So thats what, 4 50% rolls that failed?

"No problem, I can buy 10 stones off the Auction house, that should be plenty"
I said before once again 10 stones don't make it to Step 2. 5 more failed 50% rolls.

It took roughly 25 stones before I would see that Step 3 upgrade.
By this point I was really not having a good feeling about the rest of the upgrades.

I thankfully had a single Protective Red and could attempt Step 6.
So I stared at that 45% and was ready to hear that failure sound.
Lo and behold it actually worked, color be surprised!

So feeling a little better (A trick of RNG it seems), I began enchanting the blade.
I had a Hazy and a Fierce enchant since I wanted something simple at first.

With Ancient Magic Powder, the chances of success were 70% on Hazy and 90% on Fierce.
"Not much to worry about." I thought.

The Fierce goes as any 90% Enchant should.
The real problem came when it was time to enchant Hazy.

At 70% Success, the chances of anything particularly awful happening were slim.
And how did this simple task go?

H U G E F A I L U R E

S E C O N D F A I L U R E

By the time the Hazy finally applied and (THANKFULLY) rolled a 13 damage, the poor chain had 3 durability left.
Which means I can't even use my new huge investment until I get enough Dura Hammers to make it usable again.

Today was just a rollercoaster of emotions for me as far as RNG is concerned.

Now share any stories you have.
Since I'm sure I'm not the only one that had nonsense like this happen to them.
  1. What tales of RNG have you got to share?11 votes
    1. Wait wasn't that at least 12 coin flips in a row for the red ups???? How did that even happen?!
       18% (2 votes)
    2. This is why you should always use protection.
       82% (9 votes)
    3. Wait what, why is this poll even here we can't share anything like this. Why would you do thi
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    The true reality of percentages.
    Nilrempawcalypse
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Erg upgrade...You know how it goes, how it works, and how bad it is to get the items for it....just to start over, and over, and over, and over, annnnnd over....

Suppose to balance out the talents but instead of doing the balancing...players had to bleed for it.

I bled for it...too much to count...too much to care...soul ever more dead....more dead than this game...a game of deadly rng...rng which became your wall to stop you in your tracks.

"Fun game". :3
  • FierywolfangFierywolfang
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    edited November 12, 2019
    I know the pain took me 80 reds to get past r3 before and this is why I'm never selling my Yolo first try succ rythem allegro chord ensemble clean to r1 3l play eff 18 in 5 reforges gloomy ever
  • PumpkinRioPumpkinRio
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,345
    I think so far my worst RNG was when elves/giants had to collect the stupid stamps to get their transformation, it took me about 9 hours to get it.
  • KaarosKaaros
    Mabinogi Rep: 980
    Back when Lava Cat Robes were new, I spent literal days, I think possibly weeks (This was like a decade ago after all) farming non-stop for that robe till I got it. I came back to the game last year, my current Girlfriend managed to get one within a few hours, and in her ideal colours.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Alshian wrote: »
    Erg upgrade...You know how it goes, how it works, and how bad it is to get the items for it....just to start over, and over, and over, and over, annnnnd over....

Suppose to balance out the talents but instead of doing the balancing...players had to bleed for it.

I bled for it...too much to count...too much to care...soul ever more dead....more dead than this game...a game of deadly rng...rng which became your wall to stop you in your tracks.

"Fun game". :3

Erg upgrade needs a serious adjustment.
    Veylaine
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    I once spent the better part of a year trying to get snap cast.

Magic is basically my second-biggest specialty.
    KaarosNilrempawcalypseWolfsinger
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    99%, fail 3 times in a row.
    I forget what it was exactly but I still remember the failure clear as day.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Aquasol wrote: »
    I once spent the better part of a year trying to get snap cast.

Magic is basically my second-biggest specialty.

I took years trying to get fireball.
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    Sherri wrote: »
    99%, fail 3 times in a row.
    I forget what it was exactly but I still remember the failure clear as day.

I remember within the first 5 points of repairs on my shiny new royal knight armor 3 of them failed.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    edited March 8, 2022
    snip
  • XypixXypix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,890
    30 runs of AAHM and not a single ruptured black metal or anything valuable.
    VeylaineNilrempawcalypseWolfsingerRadiant DawnAlshianSherri
  • FreakoutcastFreakoutcast
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,230
    This event.
    Sherri
  • AlshianAlshian
    Xypix wrote: »
    30 runs of AAHM and not a single ruptured black metal or anything valuable.

or a string to make an Xbow.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Enchanting. 6 fails in a row at 70%. Then when it applied, got low roll. Sometimes I wonder why I still play this game.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Gaby5011 wrote: »
    Enchanting. 6 fails in a row at 70%. Then when it applied, got low roll. Sometimes I wonder why I still play this game.

never too late to stop if you feel like your going no where with this forsaken layers of RNG.
  • RetaliaRetalia
    Mabinogi Rep: 615
    Bought a Cartel 67th Floor Lance for 130m. Burned it at 87%. Only got the Cartel.

Many salty tears.
    NilremAlshianVeylaine
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Retalia wrote: »
    Bought a Cartel 67th Floor Lance for 130m. Burned it at 87%. Only got the Cartel.

Many salty tears.

It hurts.... I can't even bear it.
    Alshian
  • AlshianAlshian
    Greta wrote: »
    Retalia wrote: »

Many salty tears.

It hurts.... I can't even bear it.

hurts enough id off myself for the time and money I wasted attempting this. D: