Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Books Vs Grumbills - The Search for Page 2

KaarosKaaros
Mabinogi Rep: 980
in Help
So long story short is that I'm farming for "Book of Ice Spear Pg2" cause I cannot by any means afford market price on that, but there's two ways I can farm it, and I'm not sure which is the better option.

Option 1: Fight Pink Grumbills in "The Fomor Commander I - Basic"
Option 2: Fight Strange Books in "Ghost of Partholon" at any difficulty.

What is the better option here?
  1. Grumbills or Books?4 votes
    1. Books
       100% (4 votes)
    2. Grumbills
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I hate grumbills. That's just me personally.
    Kaaros
  • KaarosKaaros
    I hate grumbills. That's just me personally.

Personal opinions count too.
    Fomor Commander may not be bad either because it's fairly easy to run, but sometimes you have to see if the grumbills will actually spawn.
  • KaarosKaaros
    Fomor Commander may not be bad either because it's fairly easy to run, but sometimes you have to see if the grumbills will actually spawn.

Having done it repeatedly yesterday, they'll spawn anywhere between 1-3 groups of 3 or 4 individual Grumbills per run.
    Kaaros wrote: »

Having done it repeatedly yesterday, they'll spawn anywhere between 1-3 groups of 3 or 4 individual Grumbills per run.

I say just keep at it. Ignore the fact that you're actually trying to get a drop and just run them for exp or gold. It will drop when you least expect it.
  • KaarosKaaros

I say just keep at it. Ignore the fact that you're actually trying to get a drop and just run them for exp or gold. It will drop when you least expect it.

It's worth almost no EXP because it has to be Basic. That's the only time the Pink Grumbill's drop it accord to the loot table.

It's worth almost no EXP because it has to be Basic. That's the only time the Pink Grumbill's drop it accord to the loot table.

Collect all your loot and it will be worth the time. Don't underestimate the power of the unsuspecting regular drops that most people ignore.
    Kaaros
  • KaarosKaaros

Collect all your loot and it will be worth the time. Don't underestimate the power of the unsuspecting regular drops that most people ignore.

The regular drops reeeeaaaaaaally aren't that great. It's mostly the standard 30 HP, MP, or Stamina Potions and 100g. Which does add up, but it doesn't add up that much.

The regular drops reeeeaaaaaaally aren't that great. It's mostly the standard 30 HP, MP, or Stamina Potions and 100g. Which does add up, but it doesn't add up that much.

Hey ever penny counts. And I use 30 pots in emergency cases. When you're getting beat up by something and need a quick boost, 30s are still good. They buy some time.
  • KaarosKaaros

Hey ever penny counts. And I use 30 pots in emergency cases. When you're getting beat up by something and need a quick boost, 30s are still good. They buy some time.

I honestly consume them like they're going out of style, but I'm not particularly bright and too lazy to stock my supplies properly.
    Kensamaofmari
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    I obtained all of my Ice Spear Page 2s from the Strange Books. There's the option of bidding for it through the Tara Auctions as well, but unfortunately I don't have any experience with that feature.
    KaarosKensamaofmari
  • KaarosKaaros
    Fluorette wrote: »
    I obtained all of my Ice Spear Page 2s from the Strange Books. There's the option of bidding for it through the Tara Auctions as well, but unfortunately I don't have any experience with that feature.

Honestly never used the Tara Auction myself, I don't even know how it works, but it's still expensive. Hence beating up Grumbills and Books. I do appreciate the input on the books though. Grumbills haben't been working so I'll try the books. It worked with Fireball Pg6.
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    I'll be honest, in the time I've been playing, I have never seen a grumbil drop the page. I remember when I was trying to get it, I just bought it in a player shop. If I recall, I lucked out and got a real cheap price on it. But yeah, if you can get them from the strange books, I suggest doing that.
    Kaaros
    Squee wrote: »
    I'll be honest, in the time I've been playing, I have never seen a grumbil drop the page. I remember when I was trying to get it, I just bought it in a player shop. If I recall, I lucked out and got a real cheap price on it. But yeah, if you can get them from the strange books, I suggest doing that.

Grumbils and gremlins have the worst drop rates.
    Kaaros
  • KaarosKaaros

Admittedly something I've slowly learned. I was trying to get the page for a week, hunting Grumbills. I still don't have the page.

Admittedly something I've slowly learned. I was trying to get the page for a week, hunting Grumbills. I still don't have the page.

From those creatures, they drop when least expected.
  • KaarosKaaros

From those creatures, they drop when least expected.

And apparently never when you want them to. Like most drops really.
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    edited November 25, 2019

Karu End Chest has the worst drop rate. Then Grumbils and Gremlins.

No, wait. Karu End Chest, then Mongooses, then Grumbils and Gremlins.

Or actually, Karu End Chest, then Mongooses, then the Petite Potatoes, and then Grumbils and Gremlins.

And @Kaaros, honestly, go for the Strange Books. You get a lot from the Ghosts of Partholon, and even if you don't get the page you're after, you're getting another page (that may be worth selling, or can help with another skill).
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    edited November 25, 2019
    (misclick)
    Kaaros
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited November 25, 2019
    Definitely farm with Strange Books. I needed Fireball 9 page which i thought only dropped by Succubus in Rabbie Dungeon, but when i learned in wiki that it also drops from Strange Books and went to try that. I guickly got it actually, like on my second or third Basic run. That time Fireball 9 page costed around ~800k gold so i really didn't want to waste gold on such item.
    Kaaros