Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Alby Normal is too hard

ChoCho
Mabinogi Rep: 2,120
in General Chat
I'm playing on a new character at the moment but I've experienced this before on another new character. Since the dungeon revamp Alby is a bit too hard. It's supposed to a breeze because it's the first/weakest dungeon but I'm walking in with my 70 HP character and it gets two-shotted by a white spider. I think on my first experience it would've made me think this game is a souls-like which is far from the truth.

I'm biased because I can't be a new player anymore but what are new players supposed to do? Maybe they expect players to do all of the guide quests until they're on the Lorna one so they can rush to memoir and skip early leveling? Maybe the free pets are supposed to carry you until you're able to beat Alby? (The thoroughbred seems to kill everything fine) Or maybe players are supposed to find the old Alby/Ciar Beginner passes Trefor and Ranald are hiding because those haven't been revamped with the rest of the dungeons.

If my critical smash only hits for 80 damage and I only have 70 HP, maybe they shouldn't make white spiders in Alby normal have 300~ HP and hit for 35 damage per hit when you don't have money for a shield or armor yet. It's not impossible but I don't know if it's because I have old-player knowhow that I'm not continuously dying in Alby.

Comments

• IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Yeah, new players are guided through the Lorna & Pan questline, which should lead into the Blaanid Memoirs.
    Doing this effectively lets players skip the early leveling and can pretty easily get their character up to level 5,000.

Basically the first thing a new player should be doing isn't going to be Alby Normal or any of the dungeons unless they ignore the tutorial quests.
    There's also that part at the beginning of G1 where Aeira gives players a free light armor set and sword/shield. That, coupled with how simple and cheap Light Armor/Shield Mastery skills are to rank should encourage their use and increase survivability.
    Plus don't forget that one quest where Ferghus gives players a free Chain Blade with 40~55 base damage that new players are bound to end up using at least a bit.
    So they can switch to that when they don't need the G1 shield for extra defense.
    CrimsọnWolfsinger
  • ChoCho
    edited December 1, 2019
    That works if you're going straight down the Basic Quest tab but seeing a bunch of quests suddenly appear like that (Festia, Homestead, Get to level X, Dungeon Stone, Altar of Restoration, etc) makes it feel optional. Not to mention they give you the Divine Knights Questline before you even get G1. I've never seen the chainblade (edit:misread whoops). Maybe because my last few new characters were life-skill focused and I skipped it or because it's a new account thing. I'm not sure.

I watched a bit of a guy on Youtube playing Mabi for the first time and after skipping to about an hour in, they seemed to be on the Lorna Pan questline so maybe it's fine but I feel like by the time you're out of memoir spamming, at level 5000, there's no point to running Alby or Ciar normal anymore and you can buy Basic passes from the Researcher at the Dungeon Stone.
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    I'm pretty much on both sides of the fence for this. On one hand, I welcome the idea that new players have to learn to defend themselves and use the skills properly, and it immediately tells them that this isn't your standard "out-DPS your foe" kind of MMO. On the other hand, much of the content has been made so there's no longer any early game, and only so much of mid-game content.

More importantly, I think the start of the game shouldn't throw so many random quests so you focus on the ones that teach you to actually play, like the Advent of the Goddess questline and the important quests of the Basic tab. Nonetheless, I feel Alby Normal's difficulty is reasonable enough that new characters can take the time to train a bit and learn to fight before tackling it repeatedly.

Oh, and dying ain't such a bad thing. Teaches someone that they did a mistake, and gives them the chance to learn from it and not repeat it. This is my biggest issue with end-game newbies: they spam Final Hit on newer bosses and complain that it's too tough 'cause they keep dying. This is why learning from your failures is so important.
    Policroma
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    You're using your basic skills right? Smash and then windmill or counter attack?
    Kensamaofmari
  • ChoCho
    edited December 1, 2019
    Draech wrote: »
    More importantly, I think the start of the game shouldn't throw so many random quests so you focus on the ones that teach you to actually play, like the Advent of the Goddess questline and the important quests of the Basic tab. Nonetheless, I feel Alby Normal's difficulty is reasonable enough that new characters can take the time to train a bit and learn to fight before tackling it repeatedly.

Oh, and dying ain't such a bad thing. Teaches someone that they did a mistake, and gives them the chance to learn from it and not repeat it. This is my biggest issue with end-game newbies: they spam Final Hit on newer bosses and complain that it's too tough 'cause they keep dying. This is why learning from your failures is so important.

I mean sure but in my opinion Alby required you to just know how to left-click. As a veteran you know the skill combos i.e things like counter having more endlag than windmill for archery, but getting 2-shotted is a bit much. For reference, you can make a new character with a free character card you might have like I did, finish testing talents, and rebirth for the first time. Compare the white spiders in the graveyard, the white spiders from the missing townsfolk quest, and the ones from Alby normal. The graveyard and missing townsfolk spiders have 50~60 HP while Alby normal ones have 300-ish which, again is a alot when a rF crit smash only hits 80 damage.

As for dying, yeah, it's not as bad since you don't drop items on death anymore but you also have no way of recover wounds either that early on. I understand being prepared and getting bandages, learning first aid etc etc but Alby Normal was supposed to be mind-numbingly easy.

It was Ciar that taught me how to deal with multi-aggro when the poison goblins aggroed you along with the goblin archers. Rabbie was the first real threat (I mean by risk of getting 2-shotted), back before talents and the dungeon revamp, due to how strong skeletons were and their tendency to crit and mix up melee/ranged tactics.
    Crims wrote: »
    You're using your basic skills right? Smash and then windmill or counter attack?
    Yeah it takes a few back and forths to kill a single spider in there.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    By normal do you mean this one?
  • ChoCho
    edited December 1, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    By normal do you mean this one?

Yeah and wow. The monster section of the wiki is really outdated. It's saying White Spider has 20 HP while the Spiderling has 45.

Edit: Actually that might be because the HP for the Spider is for field spiders while the old dungeon ones had 50~60 HP like the missing townsfolk dungeon.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited December 1, 2019
    There is an easier version of the dungeon, that one is the cake walk. That being said are you trying this dungeon with a t-shirt, stick, and truculence alone? I've made a character on Nao to record the Tara jousting matches there and they are sub lvl 100. My best skill is defense (rank D), my second is rest (rank e) and the rest are F and learned. I'm using nothing more threatening than a mace. I can do the dungeon. Occasionally, I may die but almost every time it's no deaths. With this character I can do normals Alby, Ciar, Longa, and Par. I do run into trouble with the Dunbarton dungeons as they have double teaming by range mobs. In these cases I can do the dungeon but not without getting killed at least once.

But for Alby I just stand in a corner and say use throw rock to bring monsters out one by one. After that either it's: counter defend normal repeat or counter Firebolt repeat. The only real danger is when monsters crit on your defend. That's why I have defend at D.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    This dungeon revamp is ridiculous and i hate dungeons even more after it.
    CrimsọnIyasenuRadiant DawncourtneyyKensamaofmarilucifernSherri
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Greta wrote: »

I concur. Let me be the op I worked hard to be! XD
    Radiant Dawncourtneyy
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    edited December 2, 2019

Yeah...
    I liked the accessibility upgrade that basic (and Fiodh Int) got in that an NPC directly sells the passes to those dungeons, and how some dungeons got shortened, floor-wise, but especially in the upper-tier difficulties enemies become slogs that tank your every hit while your armor negates everything but a critical smash so it's just a time waste so you can get to the end and hope you don't walk away with a pinch of dust and an amount of gold that doesn't come close to covering the repair costs of your weapons.

And unfortunately, Veteran difficulty dungeons coming later are going to have even sloggier fights with larger HP wall enemies.
    courtneyyGreta
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Spiderling also has faster aggro as well I believe.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Who runs Alby normal?
    CrimsọnWolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa
    Gaby5011 wrote: »
    Who runs Alby normal?

The OP was running it with a brand new character.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Who runs Alby normal?

I did. For the last music event.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615

Agreed, this 'revamp' is just a heavy herf.
    I want my 8 player dungeons back. And not to mention they really screwed over the CP system..
    KensamaofmariGretaHabimaruWolfsinger
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited December 4, 2019
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Yeah...
    I liked the accessibility upgrade that basic (and Fiodh Int) got in that an NPC directly sells the passes to those dungeons, and how some dungeons got shortened, floor-wise, but especially in the upper-tier difficulties enemies become slogs that tank your every hit while your armor negates everything but a critical smash so it's just a time waste so you can get to the end and hope you don't walk away with a pinch of dust and an amount of gold that doesn't come close to covering the repair costs of your weapons.

And unfortunately, Veteran difficulty dungeons coming later are going to have even sloggier fights with larger HP wall enemies.

Also it made the taming animals side quest IMPOSSIBLE to complete now. The cp's of the later on mobs and bosses drawf your own cp and make it literally impossible to tame. Fix this Nexon, I want that quest GONE.
    SherriAleiraSwordfireWolfsinger
  • LhakrymaLhakryma
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    I think Randal still gives out the beginner passes, right? Or was it Treffor? I think both of them do, just one of them gives for Ciar, the other for Alby.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Who runs Alby normal?

Is there a story reason for this? AFAIK, there's no reason to run Alby Normal.
  • LhakrymaLhakryma
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    Who runs Alby normal?

Is there a story reason for this? AFAIK, there's no reason to run Alby Normal.

muh nostalgia