Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Which Special Upgrade for a Scythe?

ChoCho
Mabinogi Rep: 2,120
edited December 7, 2019 in Help
I want to specially upgrade my Scythe but Red gets 1-Handed upgrades and I'll probably stop at rank 5 so 34%+ crit damage. Blue gets 2-handed upgrades so it's 20min/39max. I don't know which would be better. Blue won't scale with future damage creep but Red is non-existent 70% of the time. I could also just save it and hope for Scythe upgrades to get updated in the future. So if either Red or Blue, which should I go for?

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Critical. But scythes don't appear like they'll be viable top tier weapons, so I wouldn't take it too seriously.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Random thought, can a scythe be used for harvesting?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380

If the game thinks it's a sword then, yes, you can harvest wool with it. Tee hee!
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    Scythes are gag weapons in Mabinogi, so the best help is to tell you to use a proper two handed sword such as Fanatic Greatsword. But based on your other thread titled "Alby Normal is too hard" S type will likely be more help to you than R type in this case as the extra 39 max should allow you to 1 shot the white spiderlings.
  • ChoCho

Not for grain or anything. It'd be nice if Harvesting was like a hidden weapon mastery for Scythes though.
    Lutetium wrote: »
    Scythes are gag weapons in Mabinogi, so the best help is to tell you to use a proper two handed sword such as Fanatic Greatsword. But based on your other thread titled "Alby Normal is too hard" S type will likely be more help to you than R type in this case as the extra 39 max should allow you to 1 shot the white spiderlings.

Scythe is for main character, Alby was on fresh alt as stated in the OP of that thread. lol
    Kensamaofmari
  • MegasoulMegasoul
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,735
    People also underestimate the power of Blue Upgrades because they place their bets on perfect shots.

You're basically saying you would rather one-shot an enemy every so once in a while with Critical+Reaper rather than do more damage when you don't land Critical+Reaper.
    Cho
  • ChoCho
    Megasoul wrote: »
    People also underestimate the power of Blue Upgrades because they place their bets on perfect shots.

You're basically saying you would rather one-shot an enemy every so once in a while with Critical+Reaper rather than do more damage when you don't land Critical+Reaper.

I've been thinking about that exact thing and it seems like the idea is that after a certain amount of damage, hitting one red critical can be worth more than a bunch of blue hits. Still, blue could be good for enemies with high protection. I'm not sure how much Girgashy (easy) or some of the Avalon bosses have but in situations where I'm using moves that don't ignore prot for crit calculations, Blue could be decent. But If they ever update our damage and getting 1000+ max damage becomes more common, Blue upgrades would become pointless.

I have 2 scythes and and I went with Red on the stronger one but I'm just hoping that if they ever update Scythes like they did Crossbows, that they change everyone's red upgrades from 1-handed to 2-handed and not just leave them as they are. I still have an old pre-updated Crossbow that doesn't have piercing.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Megasoul wrote: »

The reverse side of that way of thinking are folks that prefer Prot over Def.