Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Gems, Junk, & Egos - Cost Efficiency

IyasenuIyasenu
Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
edited December 17, 2019 in General Chat
I made a couple of observations while feeding new Spirit Weapons in regards to EXP gained when absorbing gems and items.

Basically, I wanted to kind of place a gold value on EXP an ego gains.
So I used a "control" test, basing my EXP gains on an NPC-bought item, in my case this was a 1,000 value "Potion Making Kit" you can get from about any Healer NPC.
Any lower value than that, even a 990 value Sasha Robe and the exp gained scales down as you go. (Sasha robe was worth 22 EXP)
I tested a few other items, but there is a significant case of diminishing returns for EXP gained from feeding non-gem/powder items.
At least this is the case for what I've seen, using only NPC-bought equipment. Anything over a purchase price of 1,000 seems to give the same EXP, whether it's a 10,000 set of Cores Ninja Gloves or a 470k set of Round Pauldron Armor, these items gave the same EXP as a Potion Making Kit, so I'm using that as the basis.

I tested the following Values on a 100/100 Bond Ego, for the 1.2x bonus feeding EXP.

Potion Making Kit - 24 EXP

10cm Spinel - 380 EXP

9cm Diamond - 4,189

10cm Diamond - 4,754

Now let's compare the exp:value ratios of these gems, basing their value on the relative cost you'd have spent if you had instead chose to feed the requisite amount of Potion Making Kits for the same amount of EXP.
For the sake of ease, "diamond tier" refers to Diamonds, as well as any of the newly added gems that came along with the Spirit Ascension Update.

10cm Spinel (or any non-diamond tier gem) relative cost = 15.833 Potion Making Kits, so a just a bit under 16k Gold.

9cm Diamond (or any non-preferred diamond tier gem) relative cost = 174.541 Potion Making Kits, so about 174.5k Gold

10cm Diamond relative cost = 198.083 Potion Making Kits, so about 198k Gold

I haven't tested preferred gems, but those should give more EXP than any other same-sized diamond-tier gem.

Hopefully this can make it easier for you to weight the costs of buying gems from other players for the sole purpose of EXP gain.

Also do note that if you choose to feed of 1,000 value items like Potion Making Kits, human players can receive a price discount when shopping at an allied race's NPCs, and to not forget about the Wednesday discount as well.
AlshianKaga

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    It's a no brainer that gems and powders are more effective. That's how the system works. :smirk:
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    edited December 17, 2019
    Crims wrote: »
    It's a no brainer that gems and powders are more effective. That's how the system works. :smirk:

Well, yeah, but the point I was trying to make is "watch out for people selling gems for more than they're worth".

Like if you buy a 10cm Ruby off of someone for more than 15,833k, you'd actually be better off gold-wise using Potion Making Kits.

Sure there's a price for convenience, it's less of a hassle to eat one gem than it is to fit 16 Potion Making Kits in your inventory and eat them, but it can come in handy if you're trying to hit the 400k weekly EXP cap.

I've been seeing 10cm sell for like 70k, and at that point that's spending 70k for 380 EXP when you could be spending 70k for 1,680 EXP.
    AlshianKaga
  • MabiIn2k19MabiIn2k19
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,390
    feeding it rolling pins from food trucks is 20m to cap exp a week if you don't mind getting arthritis
    AlshianpawcalypseSherri
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    MabiIn2k19 wrote: »
    feeding it rolling pins from food trucks is 20m to cap exp a week if you don't mind getting arthritis

Thanks, now i can ignore all these costy gems than what they are actually worth for the sake of EXP.

Although going to need to buy one of the gems someday just for the Ego quests for more EP.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    MabiIn2k19 wrote: »

Rolling Pins are slightly more expensive than Potion Making Kits.
    With PMKs it's ~16.666m to cap per week.
    If you buy them from Kirine with a giant allied human, they cost 920g apiece, bringing that cost down slightly to 15.333m gold to reach 400k EXP.
    AlshianNilrempawcalypse
  • hammerhandhammerhand
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    Where do I get the new gems?????
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    hammerhand wrote: »

Only ways I can think of is either Veteran Dungeons, those boxes we get for leveling a spirit up once a day/getting them to a certain level, and Hall of Gems in Alban Training. or buying them from people

I've heard that G24 will bring other way(s?) of getting them, but for now we're stuck with horrid ways to obtain them and people overpricing them.
    hammerhand
  • hammerhandhammerhand
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    @ Sherri Thank you. for your reply
  • noobodyzxznoobodyzxz
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,990
    edited December 17, 2019
    people are selling gems this days for over 100k
    tho people were simply dropping and throwing this gems away during the 2 consecutive fishing events in the past months. I was able to fill up to 4 bank accounts + all available spaces in banks + 7 pet inv + all available spaces in other pet inv + all of extra spaces in my bags + all of extra spaces in the bags and inv on my alts with a whole lot of gems and even more If I include my little sisters account. (which is mostly my alt account now cause she stopped playing) I end up using almost half of all the gems I've hoarded fattening my spirit with random gems as much us possible from lvl 38 - lvl 42. After Spirit Ascension update I was able to level it up to lvl 43 before I got it converted. After getting my spirit weapon converted and using the new UI and feeding system all the remaining gems I've hoarded were gone in less than a day. Now im having trouble transferring some gems to from my sister's/alt account to mine probably until I get to buy a good weapon to be turned into a spirit weapon. My main character in that account is very dependent to Merlin knuckles after I sent it 100% thunder, ice spear and fireball books.

I do have plans to sell some of the gems from that account for it to be able to buy a powerful or good staff or chainblade or 1h sword
    if most 10cm gems are being sold for 100k+ what happens if I sell 10cm gems between 50k-70k will I be able to dent the market prices or will I just run out of gems before I could buy a weapon to be turned into a spirit weapon.
    I do have my doubts in selling gems tho, for the past years this gems were treated as junks for years the gems from personal shops, kiosk and AH doesn't seem to get sold anyway so I doubt people will buy a lot from me.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    noobodyzxz wrote: »
    people are selling gems this days for over 100k
    tho people were simply dropping and throwing this gems away during the 2 consecutive fishing events in the past months. I was able to fill up to 4 bank accounts + all available spaces in banks + 7 pet inv + all available spaces in other pet inv + all of extra spaces in my bags + all of extra spaces in the bags and inv on my alts with a whole lot of gems and even more If I include my little sisters account. (which is mostly my alt account now cause she stopped playing) I end up using almost half of all the gems I've hoarded fattening my spirit with random gems as much us possible from lvl 38 - lvl 42. After Spirit Ascension update I was able to level it up to lvl 43 before I got it converted. After getting my spirit weapon converted and using the new UI and feeding system all the remaining gems I've hoarded were gone in less than a day. Now im having trouble transferring some gems to from my sister's/alt account to mine probably until I get to buy a good weapon to be turned into a spirit weapon. My main character in that account is very dependent to Merlin knuckles after I sent it 100% thunder, ice spear and fireball books.

I do have plans to sell some of the gems from that account for it to be able to buy a powerful or good staff or chainblade or 1h sword
    if most 10cm gems are being sold for 100k+ what happens if I sell 10cm gems between 50k-70k will I be able to dent the market prices or will I just run out of gems before I could buy a weapon to be turned into a spirit weapon.
    I do have my doubts in selling gems tho, for the past years this gems were treated as junks for years the gems from personal shops, kiosk and AH doesn't seem to get sold anyway so I doubt people will buy a lot from me.

I'll buy them all from you. Thanks.
  • MykahMykah
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,740
    Sherri wrote: »

Only ways I can think of is either Veteran Dungeons, those boxes we get for leveling a spirit up once a day/getting them to a certain level, and Hall of Gems in Alban Training. or buying them from people

I've heard that G24 will bring other way(s?) of getting them, but for now we're stuck with horrid ways to obtain them and people overpricing them.

You can also get the new gems via Metallurgy, I've been getting a few from it~
    roastedpig
  • roastedpigroastedpig
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,040
    Mykah wrote: »
    Sherri wrote: »

You can also get the new gems via Metallurgy, I've been getting a few from it~

Oh, that's nice. I thought I'd have to run vet dungeons for it (hearing how horrendous the drop rate is, this is good to hear)