Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Duel Wielding Idea for Elves

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
in Feedback and Suggestions
Let elves hold a one-handed weapon and, with their off-hand, hold a wand.

Helsa0151 of Alexina

Comments

• SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    Or they could let elves duel wield wands. They could incorporate a fusion bolt chain cast when used with two chaincasting wands, or make it where someone can chain cast intermediate magic (AKA using two ice wands would let an elf charge two or more charges of ice spear).

I think that would be an interesting way of giving elves something unique. Since giants can dual wield maces, I think elves dual wielding wands would make sense.
    Atheist42Habimaru
  • HelsaHelsa
    Anyway back to the original idea, although it's not two simultaneous melee weapons, it does give elves an elevated form of mixed combat which would be similar to using a guardian shield.
  • RytherionRytherion
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    edited January 29, 2020
    Dualwield crossbows!!!! Make it like gunner where there's no accuracy involved, but you gotta reload time as well, but still use archer skills, so everything hits 4x LOL
  • HelsaHelsa
    Rytherion wrote: »
    Dualwield crossbows!!!! Make it like gunner where there's no accuracy involved, but you gotta reload time as well, but still use archer skills, so everything hits 4x LOL

In a sense don't elves already have that since they shoot two arrows at a time?
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615

Bowguns

latest?cb=20170825014253
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    Sherri wrote: »

Bowguns

latest?cb=20170825014253

Use Dynamite as Projectile...
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Bow in one hand, can fire with feet.
    Melee weapon in other hand.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Sherri wrote: »

Bowguns

latest?cb=20170825014253

Crossbow you mean?
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Bowguns smaller than crossbow? I think?
  • HelsaHelsa

B(l)owguns, yes, bowgun is not really a word. For that concept, we use the word: crossbow.
    edited January 31, 2020
    Helsa wrote: »

B(l)owguns, yes, bowgun is not really a word. For that concept, we use the word: crossbow.

Cheiroballistra or Gastraphetes
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    My bad, I just copied from someone else up a little bit...
  • HelsaHelsa

Your ability to access and make use of online resources, such as thesauri, is acknowledged.

Fugitaboutit.

KensamaofmariSherri
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    Actually, I think bow guns would be a fun concept in a world where people use magic and science. Plus we've seen the giants and elves have less issues working together than they used to. Some giants use guns now, and many elves use bows. What if they combined their technology. It could be a great fusion of science and magic. A little out there, yes, but Mabi could make it work.
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    Let elves hold a one-handed weapon and, with their off-hand, hold a wand.
    It sounds nice on paper, but magic is a trash skillset in it's current state because Devcat refuses to fix the [damage/cast speed(or cooldown)/area] ratios of the skills, and in particular mobs having so much more magic protection than normal protection. So it won't actually make NA elves any less noodle sadly, the only solution to elves being trash and not worth playing on NA (t. 25k elf with 7~y play on acc with my 38k giant with 3~y play) is for Devcat to fix archery aim ratio's desync with latency so it actually hits on NA, but since it isn't broken on KR they have 0 incentive to fix the problem, due to elf archery being the strongest thing in the game already on KR they've designed everything after to be weaker on elves to balance them, but on NA it just makes elves the worst at everything, adding a wand in the off hand to that isn't going to make a lot of difference sadly, not to mention they won't want to put the effort into flipping the animations around when they could use the development time on animating a new dress for a gachapon. I wish this wasn't the state of the game but sadly it's what we are forced to deal with while screaming into the void for no-one but other players to hear in this subforum.

As for Melee dual wielding, it's been completely obsoleted on humans between Erg upgrades immensely favoring 2H (50 min/max +300 splash radius +50 def/mdef/prot/mprot -15% non-racelock close combat cooldown reduction) sword to 1H sword (21 min/max) and the Final Hit buff for 2 handed weapons that was added in the second giant update that added Final Strike.
    On giants dual wielding has a niche use of reducing Smash's cooldown to 1.5 seconds from the usual 2.55 seconds you would have on your erg 50 Borealis/Massive Despair, so in combination dual erg 50 Frosted Borealis Hammers with one being Ego'd for the bonus crit damage and crit cap (2H has +5% crit cap when using smash naturally that you lose out on too) you can potentially juice a lot of dps out of Smash with a combo card, but aside from that you're losing defenses from your shield and the ability to take 1 damage with large shields+defense skill, losing Final Strike's 20% damage bonus for 2hs and gaining no extra hits or speed as it's fixed attack rate regardless of what's in hand, and probably most importantly losing the 4 piercing levels you would get with Meteoroid/67 floors(/Solitude if you meme and waste a dblade on giant instead of using on a human that actually benefits from 90% splash dmg ratio).

Dual wield in general could use some rebalancing, but really Elf in general needs it more not just because I want the 2 grand I spent on rebirth cards to actually have some meaning outside of enabling an extra 3 lord runs a day and reminding me how much of a scam trade unlocks are. But shoganai Devneko kusai, there is only shoah for Elves on NA, and in parallel with Lennart Poettering and SystemD if it isn't a problem on his machine (in KR) then [NOT A BUG WILL NOT FIX].

Squee wrote: »
    Or they could let elves duel wield wands. They could incorporate a fusion bolt chain cast when used with two chaincasting wands
    Wand ego already does this but worse with +2 cc.
    Squee wrote: »
    or make it where someone can chain cast intermediate magic (AKA using two ice wands would let an elf charge two or more charges of ice spear).
    Staff ego already does this but better with +2 cc.
    Sherri
  • BloonkBloonk
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,080
    I personally don't like holding a sword and a wand aesthetically, but I think a dual wield option for elves would be cool.

Your ability to access and make use of online resources, such as thesauri, is acknowledged.

Fugitaboutit.

Just trying to offer some knowledge to what people think is a bow gun.
    When people think of crossbows, they think of the large cumbersome crossbows that were said to be used by the Genoese and French at Crecy and Agincourt, but as a matter of fact, many crossbows and hand held ballistas are much smaller and have a trigger like function.
  • HelsaHelsa

Fugitaboutit.

When people think of crossbows, they think of the large cumbersome crossbows that were said to be used by the Genoese and French at Crecy and Agincourt, but as a matter of fact, many crossbows and hand held ballistas are much smaller and have a trigger like function.

The French had crossbowmen at Agincourt but made no use of them, they were too busy squandering their heavy infantry.

Fugitaboutit.

The French had crossbowmen at Agincourt but made no use of them, they were too busy squandering their heavy infantry.

Well, they were equipped with those larger crossbows and pavises. The nobles probably thought they were cumbersome and useless versus their more well-quipped cavalry and infantry. Their egos led them to defeat.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited February 5, 2020

Fugitaboutit.

Well, they were equipped with those larger crossbows and pavises. The nobles probably thought they were cumbersome and useless versus their more well-quipped cavalry and infantry. Their egos led them to defeat.

Warfare in those days consisted of nobles capturing one and other and then receiving ransom for them, this was the main reason European princes went to war so often back then. The English army had but one prize: King Henry himself. Since the English army was small and had little infantry; archers and crossbowmen, were commoners and were not worth ransoming, Henry was seen as an easy prize or rather as a quick buck, or should I say Franc. So all the French Nobles rushed him at once hoping to be the one to claim him. This caused the French to crowd an already spatially restricted battlefield. It was such a fiasco for the French that in the first wave the English captured so many French nobles that Henry could not spare the men to guard them and put them all put to death. So, yes hubris on the part of the French contributed to their defeat but avarice played just as big a role.