Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Fishing needs a Revamp!

PeanutButterandBaconPeanutButterandBacon
Mabinogi Rep: 535
in Feedback and Suggestions

Fishing Revamp Video

The video goes a bit fast, but you can pause to read. Also, the JKL keys are good for pausing and rewinding on youtube.

I think there should be an update for fishing.

* Proficiency / Upgrades should be relevant to fishing skill.
* Capture of fish size, should have a use in-game.
* Manual fishing should have benefits vs Auto fishing.
* Allow players to multi-task while stuck in the fishing window. (Like using Auction House or others)
* Create a fun mini-game via WASD to engage players.
* There should be books in-game that have info about fished up items and locations.
* Buffs for fishing in a party
* Increase in success rate/ item drop for manual fishing.

I'm sure someone will mention Partner fishing or Scarthatch beach but since I havent done those yet- can't even imagine it. So please- in the comments! Add on whatever ideas you have for a new fishing mechanic as well!☻♥ Thank you for reading!

IGN: Jellyfnf
Nao Server
DraechKensamaofmariAmarazSherri

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Better fishing after drinking beer, because what's fishing without beer: especially ice fishing.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited January 25, 2020
    Helsa wrote: »
    Better fishing after drinking beer, because what's fishing without beer: especially ice fishing.

Yes, this is literally what happens every winter in Lithuania. The first moment the freaking lake freezes and here comes some dumb veteran fishers thinking the lake is frozen enough to hold on. And the daily drowning accidents begin...
    Kensamaofmari
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Greta wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

Yes, this is literally what happens every winter in Lithuania. The first moment the freaking lake freezes and here comes some dumb veteran fishers thinking the lake is frozen enough to hold on. And the daily drowning accidents begin...

The tall ones are able to stand up and have their head above the ice. This is evolution at work. It ensures a bias to taller Lithanians, which is why they're good at basketball.
    Kensamaofmari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    A keyboard based mini-game would be useful.
    PeanutButterandBacon
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,745
    I like your creativity with the more enjoyable mini-games. Fishing is definitely dull, and I'd be interested to see something improve for it.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Amaraz wrote: »
    I like your creativity with the more enjoyable mini-games. Fishing is definitely dull, and I'd be interested to see something improve for it.

Even if fishing gets "improved" i'm pretty sure most players won't even care about it and continue with the good old auto fishing.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    Definitely agreed, fishing isn't worth doing unless there is a certain book you're after/event fishing.
    Another minigame I've seen (although would require insane button spam) is from a childhood game of mine.
    Wiki link to Fishing in it.
    Basically, you need to keep the fish within a bar. The bigger the fish, the harder it is to control its movements.
    I'm sure not everyone would like spamming a button on their keyboard/mouse but it's just an idea.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I personally would like to see more skill and tact employed when fishing. Make use of stamina, strength and dexterity as well as luck into a minigame. Give the fish HP/SP where you try to drain either stat towards zero to enable a catch.
  • SylekSylek
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    Sherri wrote: »
    Definitely agreed, fishing isn't worth doing unless there is a certain book you're after/event fishing.
    Another minigame I've seen (although would require insane button spam) is from a childhood game of mine.
    Wiki link to Fishing in it.
    Basically, you need to keep the fish within a bar. The bigger the fish, the harder it is to control its movements.
    I'm sure not everyone would like spamming a button on their keyboard/mouse but it's just an idea.

Mabinogi has part of that implemented as with manual fishing you need to drag the fish around to keep it in the box.
    As for the OP's suggestions:
    I think (though someone can correct me if I'm wrong) manual fishing gives you a better chance for higher quality fish, though that only really matters for the collection journal and relevant quests.
    In-game books with fishing info does somewhat exist with skill tips and the collection journal ("read this book found by fishing here" or "this fish is usually here"), but beyond that I don't think it should be implemented. There's no in-game drop list for monsters, herbs, ores, etc. and we don't need one. The wiki is a great external tool.
    Realistically, how would fishing in a party help? I get that this is a game, but that still sounds ridiculous.
    Manual fishing already has a (potentially) 100% success rate. You either succeed at keeping the fish in the box or you don't.
    Fish size could be given a use by maybe scaling the stat buff of food it's used to create?