Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

The Etiquette Of Picking Up Junk

ORIGINSFURYORIGINSFURY
Mabinogi Rep: 610
in General Chat
So I have a potentially odd question: is it rude to pick up items off the ground? During a lot of events, many people will just drop potions, broken equipment, crafting materials, etc. and i usually pick them up because it all sells to vendors for gold and takes little effort to do. I figure since they dropped it on the ground then they don't want it, but I've noticed a few people recently that have been shaming me for picking up junk, saying it's "really embarrassing" or "eat up beggar." So I was wondering if I'm the only person that picks stuff up and if I'm rude, or if they are the ones being rude.
  1. Is it rude to pick up other players' trash?56 votes
    1. Yes, it is. Don't do that.
       0% (0 votes)
    2. No, it's fine. They are rude.
       75% (42 votes)
    3. It's weird but not rude.
       23% (13 votes)
    4. Yes, it's rude, but they are rude too.
       2% (1 vote)

Comments

• FrozareFrozare
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,215
    I personally drop my stuff in public so others can pick it up if they want. There are always snobby people.
    JJCrimsọnRadiant DawnTreescourtneyyWolfsinger
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Try not to be up someone's butt following them picking up dropped items as they're clearing their inventory.
    That falls under the "It's weird but not rude."
    And no one likes to feel weird when clearing their inventory.

In this situation I usually wait until they're gone or otherwise done dropping before I got picking up stuff.
    Not like it'd be better to let the stuff despawn.
    Radiant Dawn
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited March 21, 2020
    I always find it weird when someone picks up useless crap like Cheap Leathers and HP/MP/Stamina posts which are 100 and below. But hey, i guess one man's trash might be another man's treasure...
    Radiant Dawn
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    edited March 21, 2020
    If I don't want to be seen dropping stuff anywhere (or just not be seen at all even whilst logged in) I will just go to Avalon-Gate to where my Squires are in order to do my uninterrupted business. If I do drop stuff in public I actually prefer others to salvage/scavenge as I am the type who does not like wasting anything (not even one grain of rice) and will try to «re-cycle» absolutely everything if absolutely possible (and yes my so-called «carbon-foot-print» and contribution to land-fills is extremely low; waaaaaaaaaaaaaay lower than average).

Edit/Addendum: [capitalized the «s» in the word : «Squires»] Also forgot to mention that I will most-certainly pick stuff up if I see it on the ground if it's a rather common item that is often dropped by other people. If it happens to be something that looks valuable I will ask the Milletian first in case they're just re-sorting/re-organising their inventory so that I do not end up inadvertently «stealing» from someone. The only reason why things like «currency/money/gold/etc.» loses its value as being a stable medium-of-exchange is because of greed and thievery (taxation and interest rates also fall into this category even if most of so-called humanity sees it not) and so I make SURE to not be some sort of «thief» in any way (but at the same time I also do not have any respect for those who throw away thousands of $$$ worth of goods literally into the dumpster of all places to be sent to a land-fill then acts as IF anybody choosing to try and «salvage» the materials from going to waste was some-how engaged in an act of stealing).
    Referring to what people called currency (current-sea; maritime-language) or money...: «We need to try and see that the currency ‘facility’ is simply a ‘product’ commodity that only has a stable value when people respect it and do not mistreat it. If you do not water your grain it will become worthless. If you do not water your livestock they will die and you will become ‘penniless.’ If you do not water the ‘intrinsic’ value of currency using the wisdom of God then it becomes worth less and ultimately worthless and unusable as a ‘medium’ of exchange.» -Quoted from http://the-testament-of-truth.co.uk/truth/web/currenc1.htm
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    I'd think if they do, they probably have some kind of reaction in the real world, but aren't vocal in game about it. You happened to run into some that didn't mind telling you how they felt in game.

Also, you're not the only one picking up that stuff on the ground. I try to keep most if not all materials found in game as I believe they'll have some eventual use. For example, I've been picking up all the potions folks have been dropping lately to fragment them into herbs. That way, I'll have plenty for when I train Potion Making. =D
    Wolfsinger
  • GretaGreta
    Habimaru wrote: »
    If I don't want to be seen dropping stuff anywhere (or just not be seen at all even whilst logged in) I will just go to Avalon-Gate to where my squires are in order to do my uninterrupted business. If I do drop stuff in public I actually prefer others to salvage/scavenge as I am the type who does not like wasting anything (not even one grain of rice) and will try to «re-cycle» absolutely everything if absolutely possible (and yes my so-called «carbon-foot-print» and contribution to land-fills is extremely low; waaaaaaaaaaaaaay lower than average).

Pretty much this. If i feel like i don't want anyone picking up my event items i just go to Homestead/Avalon and get rid of it quickly. Or if i want to feel more like scum i drop them in a deserted areas (Like in random Iria places where it's unlikely that someone might run into me) and watch it de-spawn there. So satisfying.
    Wolfsinger
  • ORIGINSFURYORIGINSFURY
    Mabinogi Rep: 610
    Greta wrote: »
    If I don't want to be seen dropping stuff anywhere (or just not be seen at all even whilst logged in) I will just go to Avalon-Gate to where my squires are in order to do my uninterrupted business. If I do drop stuff in public I actually prefer others to salvage/scavenge as I am the type who does not like wasting anything (not even one grain of rice) and will try to «re-cycle» absolutely everything if absolutely possible (and yes my so-called «carbon-foot-print» and contribution to land-fills is extremely low; waaaaaaaaaaaaaay lower than average).

Pretty much this. If i feel like i don't want anyone picking up my event items i just go to Homestead/Avalon and get rid of it quickly. Or if i want to feel more like scum i drop them in a deserted areas (Like in random Iria places where it's unlikely that someone might run into me) and watch it de-spawn there. So satisfying.

The thought of you pouring out potions in the desert is both hilarious and horrifying. When do we get the update to fight potion abominations in Iria?
    Wolfsinger
  • GretaGreta

The thought of you pouring out potions in the desert is both hilarious and horrifying. When do we get the update to fight potion abominations in Iria?

Who said i only drop potions? ;)
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited March 21, 2020
    It's not against EULA and not as if someone is going to come to your actual house and punch you. I pick stuff up. Hell, I blatantly follow people in the midst of dropping stuff. I have no problem with it at all. If there is a problem with it then it's someone elses problem not mine.
    WolfsingervamprynAvan
  • WolfsingerWolfsinger
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,875
    Helsa wrote: »
    It's not against EULA and not as if someone is going to come to your actual house and punch you. I pick stuff up. Hell, I blatantly follow people in the midst of dropping stuff. I have no problem with it at all. If there is a problem with it then it's someone elses problem not mine.

Basically me. One man's junk is my treasure, and I've been steadily making my living off of what people drop XD
    vampryn
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited March 21, 2020
    Frozare wrote: »
    I personally drop my stuff in public so others can pick it up if they want. There are always snobby people.

Exactly. Whenever I have a bunch of stuff to unload I always do it in town for the random benefactor. No shame people. If you see it on the ground and you want or need it, grab it. No need to follow me because I mass drop by unequipping bags. I'll let you sort that sky high mess. Lol.
    Radiant Dawnvampryn
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    It's fine, don't worry. Anyone who has a problem with it shouldn't be dropping things to begin with.
    vampryn
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    there is statue behind a fence in Dunbarton right next to the spot we at when a player continent warps to Dunbarton. since it is possible to to fly in Dunbarton now and land behind that fence I often drop all my event junk there. that way I can often drop all my event junk in peace and any player that wants it has to put a little effort into getting to it. someone was always following me around during the recent Path of a Potter event which is a little creepy so I started getting rid of all my event items in a spot where everything is easy to see but tricky to get to.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Negumiko wrote: »
    someone was always following me around during the recent Path of a Potter event which is a little creepy.

That was probably me.
  • xDerpxxDerpx
    Mabinogi Rep: 990
    edited March 21, 2020
    7c9.gif

everyone loves free stuff. just ignore them
    courtneyyWolfsingerSherri
  • RimbaudRimbaud
    Mabinogi Rep: 485
    When I just drop stuff I don't want others to try and pick for whatever odd reason (stuff that may look like it can be picked but actually isn't) I just drop them in my HS, it takes me exactly a single second to go there... What use it is to shame others, anyway? Never happened to me, but screw whoever did that to OP. If I drop stuff in public, it's clearly because I hope someone else may still find some use in the things I discarded.

And when I really start to drop a lot of stuff I usually go back into my HS regardless, because all I think is "omg i bet someone is cursing me under their breath for lagging their game with my heaps of trash...".

As for picking, well, if you don't want your stuff to be picked why throwing in the first place? I'll pick whatever is on the ground and I refuse to feel ashamed for it. During the potter event, there were numerous people dropping gems, diamonds and new gems too, in fact. You expect me to pretend it's not there out of sheer curtesy, but pay millions for it a few months later? Please! :D
    I always find it weird when someone picks up useless crap like Cheap Leathers and HP/MP/Stamina posts which are 100 and below. But hey, i guess one man's trash might be another man's treasure...

Pots that can be picked from the gound (the ones without SE or RE tags) can be sold to NPCs for a little change, even the HP 10 pots can yield a few hundred golds, and some of us are solid broke out here! :D As for HP 50 pots, you use them to train Fragmentation for low levels. Any pot can be used to train Potion Lore as well, if you still haven't finished training it yet. I main a relatively low level character now, and she uses 30 and 50 pots in combat, too. I never leave an unattended pot on the ground if I can help it.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited March 23, 2020
    Everything is gold. All of the little things are how I capped my bank account. It's actually capped right now
    A stack of potions is like what.... 2000'ish gold?
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Kouyioue wrote: »
    Everything is gold. All of the little things are how I capped my bank account.
    A stack of potions is like what.... 2000'ish gold?

Yup, a stack of 50 HP/SP potions are like 1.9k
    I even grab them from dungeons/SMs, it's how I get my pocket change C:
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Rimbaud wrote: »
    And when I really start to drop a lot of stuff I usually go back into my HS regardless, because all I think is "omg i bet someone is cursing me under their breath for lagging their game with my heaps of trash..."

This is why I do it that way. :trollface:
    Wolfsinger
  • courtneyycourtneyy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,435
    I don't find it weird to let people pick up the stuff I drop. If anything I feel happy to know that I've done a good deed for someone else. I drop it because I don't want it, but if they do for whatever reason that's great!

Visa versa too. I love it when people drop stuff on the ground because there may be instances when they drop something I'll want or use, and hey I love free stuff :)! Feel free to drop all your stuff in front of me, or mail me, I'm happy to help clear your inventories c:! Whatever I don't pick up, I'll leave or drop again for someone else.
    Radiant DawnWolfsinger