Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Tara (not Tailteann). Wot is thy say ?

HabimaruHabimaru
Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
edited April 2, 2020 in General Chat
Poll-Options. Basically... some say «Poh-Tay-Toe» and some say «Poh-Tah-Toe»
(History of why in the world this thread may have come about in Spoiler)
Edit: Forgot to add this in during original posting. I basically made a joke about being on some space-ship when a contact inquired as to whether I was there or not (gotta have aliens after all). Then I managed to some how «escape» and make my way out of that said space-ship. Dude needed to know where i was, then I responded that I was at Stone-Henge... more specifically... Tara's Stone-Henges. Then it got me to wondering who this «Tara» possible NPC might be to whom the city must have been named after (granted I didn't think to go talk to very NPC about Tara's city history to find out). And I was reminded of a former class-mate whose name was Tara but half of the class pronounced her name one way whilst the other half used the other way (if I remember correctly). She was the only «Tara» I had ever come across in my life so for me, personally, the name is not particularly common... even though short-letter names shouldn't necessarily be particularly rare... probably. I thought to ask around about Tara (the city for the Aleich kingdom) and then the various pronunciations of her name came to mind for some reason...
Although I can't change the last option now I probably should have put there....: «What's the difference between pronouncing "Rah" and "Ruh" ? O_O»
  1. For Tara...?19 votes
    1. Tah-Rah
       42% (8 votes)
    2. Tear-Rah
       11% (2 votes)
    3. Tay-Rah
       0% (0 votes)
    4. Tah-Ruh
       0% (0 votes)
    5. Tear-Ruh
       11% (2 votes)
    6. Tay-Ruh
       0% (0 votes)
    7. Interchanged Depending on Whom I Speak to
       0% (0 votes)
    8. Interchanged Depending on What Random Dialect I May be Speaking at Any Given Time
       5% (1 vote)
    9. Holy **** There Were THAT Many Ways to Say Tara!?! O_O
       26% (5 votes)
    10. /Still/ going to be «That Guy» and say : No (solely on the basis of this being a Habi™-Thread)
       5% (1 vote)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    No option for tear-uh. Tear-Ruh is not the same thing.
    Sebastian
  • DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    edited April 2, 2020
    thought it was Tar-ah... could be T-air-uh
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    <reference>It's pronounced 'throat warbler mangrove</reference>
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited April 3, 2020
    Let's use Irish pronounciation! Teamhair or Cnoc na Teamhrach (/ˈtærə/)
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Her name might be pronounced like Terra. It depends on where she is from and how they pronounce from where she is from.

In the case of the Tara (location) in game, that would be going by the Irish pronunciation, which I recall sounds kind of like "Tah/tuh-ruh" but the "uh" sounds closer to an "ah" rather than the "uhhhhhhhh" sound made in American English.
    ...If that makes any sense. Probably best to consult an Irish speaker on that. :(

Oh, hey. Now thinking about it, there's a K-Pop group called T-ara (tiara). Tee-air-uh, Tee-ah-rah - however you choose to pronounce that. <_>
    Habimaru
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    This world has a lot of Taras

Places

Natural features

5863 Tara, an asteroid
    Hill of Tara, County Meath, Ireland, a ritual site of ancient high kings of Ireland
    Salar de Tara, a salt pan in Chile
    Tara (river), in Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Tara (river in Greece), in Arcadia, Greece
    Tara, Saga, town, mountain and mountain range in Saga Prefecture, Japan
    Tara Hill, County Wexford, Ireland, a hill and a village
    Tara River (Russia), in Siberia, Russia
    Tara Island, Sulu Archipelago, Philippines
    Tara Mountain and Tara National Park in Serbia

Populated places

Africa

Tara, Cairo, a villa in Gezira Island, Cairo, Egypt, made famous by its inhabitants during World War II
    Tara, Ethiopia, a village in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia
    Tara, Zambia, a village in the Southern Province of Zambia
    Tara Subcounty, a region in Maracha District, Uganda

Asia
    Tara, Afghanistan, in Maidan Wardak Province
    Tara, Iran, a village in Mazandaran Province
    Tara, Nepal, a village in Baglung District in the Dhawalagiri Zone of central Nepal
    Tara, Russia, several inhabited localities
    Tara, Saga, a town, mountain, and mountain range in Saga Prefecture, Japan

Australia
    Tara, Northern Territory, a locality in the Barkly Region
    Tara, Queensland, a town
    Tara County, New South Wales
    Shire of Tara, Queensland

Europe
    Hill of Tara, an ancient site in County Meath, Republic of Ireland
    Tara, County Down, a townland in County Down, Northern Ireland
    Tara, County Offaly, a townland in the civil parish of Durrow, barony of Ballycowan, Republic of Ireland

North America
    Tara, Florida, United States, an unincorporated area
    Tara, Ontario, village in Canada
    Tara Township, Minnesota (disambiguation), several places in the United States
    Habimaru