Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Chicol's Wings

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    Shinjou wrote: »
    It's supposed to sound more like "keyhole." The ch is just more of a heavy h sound with the c being silent. For instance... Macha's name is pronounced Ma-ha and not Ma-cha. Gaelic is weird like that when compared to English.

Whoa, really? I was told the "ch" is that gutteral sound heard in Chanukah, Challah, or Achtung! (I think that's what you were getting at, though?), but it probably depends on the dialect.

Now, Macha's name is another mixed bag, because the "M" in it is not the M we are familiar with. It's a V or a W sound depending on the dialect, and that seems to apply to any word/name with "mh" in it.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Fluorette wrote: »
    It's supposed to sound more like "keyhole." The ch is just more of a heavy h sound with the c being silent. For instance... Macha's name is pronounced Ma-ha and not Ma-cha. Gaelic is weird like that when compared to English.

Whoa, really? I was told the "ch" is that gutteral sound heard in Chanukah, Challah, or Achtung! (I think that's what you were getting at, though?), but it probably depends on the dialect.

Now, Macha's name is another mixed bag, because the "M" in it is not the M we are familiar with. It's a V or a W sound depending on the dialect, and that seems to apply to any word/name with "mh" in it.

Like the "M" in Samhain? ('sah-WIN' according to the announcement page of the past Samhain event)

I wonder if that extends to Emain Macha.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited April 6, 2020
    I wonder how many wings were consumed for these...
    2RaMMeR.png
    1b...seems about right. lol.
    Radiant Dawn
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Crims wrote: »
    I wonder how many wings were consumed for these...
    2RaMMeR.png
    1b...seems about right. lol.

These are pretty much Morrighan's wings now.
    WolfsingerCrimsọnRadiant Dawn
  • ShinjouShinjou
    Mabinogi Rep: 980
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Like the "M" in Samhain? ('sah-WIN' according to the announcement page of the past Samhain event)

Don't forget about Neamhain. Poor girl's name is along the lines of Neh-van if I remember right, and I dunno if we should pronounce Morrighan as how one would expect with the G sound or along the lines of... Morrifan? Lugh's name is supposed to be along the lines of Loof/Loov and not Loo.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Iyasenu wrote: »

Don't forget about Neamhain. Poor girl's name is along the lines of Neh-van if I remember right, and I dunno if we should pronounce Morrighan as how one would expect with the G sound or along the lines of... Morrifan? Lugh's name is supposed to be along the lines of Loof/Loov and not Loo.

Siobhanin is pronounced Shivonin, which in fact is the male form of Susan!
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,075
    Synthesize 3 together for a CHANCE at a different colored one. The other possibilities are like a small green gem or common leather, so it's all a gamble.

That is such a weird thing to implement on a wing that you can only get through an event once. It's like they want to take away the prize from people. Basic wings will get sold for cheap so someone else can try to synth it and sell the new color for a big price. They should have just made it dye-able so there's more wings for everyone. :/
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Shakaya wrote: »
    Synthesize 3 together for a CHANCE at a different colored one. The other possibilities are like a small green gem or common leather, so it's all a gamble.

That is such a weird thing to implement on a wing that you can only get through an event once. It's like they want to take away the prize from people. Basic wings will get sold for cheap so someone else can try to synth it and sell the new color for a big price. They should have just made it dye-able so there's more wings for everyone. :/

That's not how this game works. =P
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Shakaya wrote: »

Well this isn't something implemented just for these Cichol wings, this is how Synthesis has worked since it was a thing.
    It's just that there was never really a reason to use Synthesis for such a reason, since usually items can just be dyed.

When performing random synthesis you need three items.
    The result is split up between items in the same Value group, items in the same Item Type group, and of course you can get the specific item you used in the synthesis as a result sometimes as well, which is more likely to happen when all three items are the same (like 3 Cichol Wings).
    But in the case of Cichol Wings, there's nothing in the same Item Type group because random wings aren't a prize from Synthesis, so this leaves the results to be either the Value group or the same item result.
    This is why the results can either be junk like Wood Boards, which are in the Value group of results based on the Avg NPC value of Cichol Wings, or a pair of Cichol Wings given a random color value.
    ... Or so it was explained to me.

Back during the first Doki Doki Island Event, they had pairs of expiring Heart Wings for sale in the exchange shop.
    People would buy those wings and synth three of them together in the hopes of getting a pair of Heart Wings, but this time ones that didn't have the expiration timer.
    Then they changed Synthesis so that most (all?) items that had expiration timers could no longer be used as ingredients in Synthesis.