Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Can we please have more classes to play with???

RumaRuma
Mabinogi Rep: 100
in Feedback and Suggestions
Maybe Like 'Summoner'??
It'll definitely attract people to play diverse classes.
like unique classes and skills.

Thank you.

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    At present the game has:
    Warrior
    Archer
    Lancer
    Gunslinger
    Mage
    Cleric
    Martial Artist
    Ninja
    Chain Slasher
    Battle Alchemist
    Transmutation Alchemist, which can summon a golem.
    Battle Puppeteer, which can summon battle puppets.
    Ranger, which can tame mobs to fight for them.
    Carpenter
    Tailor
    Blacksmith
    Tinker
    Cook
    Trader
    Bard
    Apothecary.

Each of these can summon pets. You are not bound to the classes like you are in other games. Here you can use and perfect any specific skills to make your own individual fighting style. Could you be more specific about what exactly you're looking for and what you are disappointed about?
    Faybal
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited April 22, 2020
    Just wanted to point out the same thing about our pets which we can summon anytime, but Helsa did it first i see. I'm still gonna repeat it though...

We already have pets and thanks to the Soul Link they are extremely helpful. Some of them even have summon AoE skills which can damage, stun and debuff enemies. If you have plenty of pets you can spam these said AoE's and not worry about summoning time limits because of having so much pets. I don't remember when was the last time i used up my pet's summon limit and still if i do it usually because i left it summoned for too long while being semi-afk or just spamming dungeons/SM for some time. I don't think we really need such talent as Summoner since our pets are pretty much our summoned creatures anyway meaning Milletian is a Summoner from very beginning.
  • EmilieBerryEmilieBerry
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,720
    Using your pet is not the same as a SUMMONER class...lol The pet AI is ridiculously outdated to even consider using pretty well for auto combat.

If you look at FFXIV or any other MMORPG games Summoners have the capability of SUMMONING (hence the word Summoner) *eyeroll*
    Amaraz
  • GretaGreta
    edited April 22, 2020
    Using your pet is not the same as a SUMMONER class...lol The pet AI is ridiculously outdated to even consider using pretty well for auto combat.

If you look at FFXIV or any other MMORPG games Summoners have the capability of SUMMONING (hence the word Summoner) *eyeroll*

"QQ pet AI is outdated!" Maybe try creating a good one or find some from others? There are some good pet AI's who attack and block ranged attacks for you, almost anything you can think of they can do for you. Nexon purposely made AI creation possible for cases such as this. Pets are so useful that you can pretty much let them clear first 3 generations for you. There's too many moments to count where pets saved me by stopping enemies from doing full combos on me, you just need to find a good AI.

When we summon a pet you literally get a window saying "Summoning...". LOL. If we don't summon pets then i don't know what we are doing to them. Locking them in cages? *eyeroll*
  • TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    One large concern is that pets aren't decent sources of damage. Regardless of your pet's level, AI, or Divine Link, the most a pet can do is shield you. You have to do all the damage yourself using other talents. The same could be said for golems and tamed monsters.

There is supposed to be a new Beast Tamer talent added at some point, which greatly increases the effectiveness of pets. Whether it will change how they're used, though, I don't know.
  • GretaGreta
    edited April 23, 2020
    Timefall wrote: »
    One large concern is that pets aren't decent sources of damage. Regardless of your pet's level, AI, or Divine Link, the most a pet can do is shield you. You have to do all the damage yourself using other talents. The same could be said for golems and tamed monsters.

There is supposed to be a new Beast Tamer talent added at some point, which greatly increases the effectiveness of pets. Whether it will change how they're used, though, I don't know.

They do give a decent damage in most content we run to. I can agree that they don't do as much in end game content, but yet again end game is supposed to be tough. There's no surprise why we got enemies who de-summon our pets and gives us debuff with no chance to summon any pet anymore until defeat. If we had OP pets then might as well stand afk and let our pets do all the dirty work then lol.
  • HelsaHelsa
    I'm the one who hasn't played FF 14 yet, so I looked up what a FF14 Summoner is. Apparently, they can summon the personification of the primal forces/elements of the universe (that's fancy talk for Gods) and will them to do their bidding. They can do this over and over. That sounds pretty awesome actually. On the other hand, it'd be a lot less coding if they just gave you an "I Win" button instead.
  • Shiro42Shiro42
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    edited April 30, 2020
    We have plenty of classes as is, and Nexon does a miserable job of balancing them already; some of them are basically obsolete unless you have top-level reforges to power them up. Also, every time Nexon introduces a new class, they feel the need to one-up their previous class, instead of keeping it balanced. Nexon's methods for skill creation and balancing are "power creep everything" to put it mildly.

That said, I would love to see some of our monster taming/transforming skills be more useful. They're pretty much set as "for fun" skills at the moment, though they give some bonuses that used to be mildly useful. Taming has always been more trouble than it's worth in practicality, and transformation is severely hampered by the fact you can only use the four basic melee attack skills (in the best cases) with it. I could see taming being turned into a more "summoner" type ability if we could store our tamed animals for later use maybe? Even then taming would need a huge boost for it to be useful that way.

EDIT: Come to think of it, we already have a few skills that involve summoning things or having separate creatures do our bidding, and the problem is always that they either get outclassed by other skills in short order, or they're more obnoxious than they are useful. We have golems, which used to be considered top-tier stuff, and are now obsolete. we've got taming as already mentioned, plus the dark knight version, and taming music on top of that. We've got hydra, which still has some use, though it's easily outclassed at high-end content. Then we've got items that summon things: the rag dolls, and the mercenary scrolls. I'm not even sure I'm listing everything, but this is all stuff that Nexon has just left to rot for ages.
    GretaCMKyrios
  • HelsaHelsa
    Shiro42 wrote: »
    That said, I would love to see some of our monster taming/transforming skills be more useful. They're pretty much set as "for fun" skills at the moment, though they give some bonuses that used to be mildly useful. Taming has always been more trouble than it's worth in practicality, and transformation is severely hampered by the fact you can only use the four basic melee attack skills (in the best cases) with it. I could see taming being turned into a more "summoner" type ability if we could store our tamed animals for later use maybe? Even then taming would need a huge boost for it to be useful that way.

Transformation Master is definitly one of those "for fun" skills. I only use Wild Horse (AKA Pinkie Pie) since it and a few other transforms are the fastest moving but Wild Horse is gotten at Rank E and has the full suite of attacks available. They could have done so much more with it. You could argue that since it is still the character transformed that they shouldn't suddenly gain skills they don't normally have, but, at the very least, if you transform into, say, a bird you should be able to fly.
  • XRuecianXRuecian
    Mabinogi Rep: 415
    I don't think the game needs more 'classes'. What made original mabinogi so good was its lack of classes. The fact that you could mix and match so many things. I really hate how they have turned to adding skillsets to the game that are exclusive to specific weapons and work so differently than other skills that they cant be mixed together. I would love to see them add more skills, but not 'class' based skillsets.
    Technically you can kind of already play as a summoner, and its one of the strongest ways to play if you can get all of the things you need.
    If you can get some golden supplement (Levels your pet up +100 or 200 levels) and mix that with Divine Link, you and your pet can destroy pretty much any content in the game solo.
    And there is also already a marionette and golem system which is 'kind of' like a summoner. I would rather see them update/add to these rather than creating a whole new "class".
  • YuenSanYuenSan
    Mabinogi Rep: 750
    Adding more QoL and skills to older talents/classes I think would be a better idea. Like giving older classes elite skills to keep up with the newer power-crept talents and when I mean elite skills, I don't mean something like Paladin Dark Knight or Demigod, I mean a literal skill for each talent.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    When the word «classes» gets used I think of a learning environment such as taking Lassar's Classes to learn how to cast Fire-Bolt, Ice-Bolt, and Zap-Bolt. Here, what other places referred to as Classes (and the FF-series as Jobs) are called Talents and/or Skill-Sets.

What ought to be done is to create a use or extra uses for current skills that are rarely ever used by anybody (and definitely some QoL for Life-Skills so that they have «practical-uses» beyond just for stats-boosting purposes [this is done somewhat to an extent with Camp-Fire for Archery & Carpentry for Camp-Fire in order to supply higher-quality wood for higher-grade fires for more punch to using Archery near a Camp-Fire]).

It wouldn't be a bad idea to come up with «classes» though (and by «classes» yes I do mean in terms of something like taking Lassar's Beginner Magic course), with newer means introduced as to make combat even more «configurable» than it is now, such as something like maybe burning a Mana-Potion into a Camp-Fire boosts both Casting-Speed and Magic-Damage for magic-attacks (there are Scented Candles that affect other kinds of stats/effects), the Massive Lightning Elemental could be updated to have a Mana-Crystalization version such that when used and released during/under a Rain-Cloud or Thunder-Storm Weather that Electric-Attacks result in a Chain-Lightning Effect where a Zap-Bolt bounces from one target to another to another to another to another until fully dissipated, etc.