Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Came back, back to training Egos

BiobreakerBiobreaker
Mabinogi Rep: 400
in General Chat
So I made a hiatus right before the ego revamp and now that I came back and "revamped" my fire wand, it no longers fires its sweet +4 firebolt`and lost about 15 dura. In other words, now it's just a plain fire wand with high ego level.

That got me thinking into changing it to another type but am I going to lose any levels from doing so? The wiki doesn't say much about it. And if so, what 3 weapons should I ego as a human mage?

Ty very much for any answers.

Comments

• XehalinXehalin
    Mabinogi Rep: 530
    Staff for sure. Do you dabble in fighter or have a final hit set? It really depends on what you want as your secondary or tertiary damage talents. You could keep the wand and just upgrade it to have the cc it's now missing via normal weapon upgrades.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    edited April 28, 2020
    Spirit weapons or Ego for short is now another layer of "upgrades" for your weapon, it is no longer a stand alone weapon.

Revamped spirit weapons can have:
    Enchants
    Normal upgrades
    Special upgrades
    Gem upgrades
    Reforges
    Erg upgrade
    And can be blessed with Holy water or Holy Flame.

Think of this new spirit weapon as another breakpoint upgrade for a weapon of choice to make it more powerful.

Although some spirit weapons were hurt compared to being classics like healing wands no longer having that bonus heals.

You will have to choose the meta weapons now like:
    Celtic guardian staff - cheaper repairs/able to use party healing
    Celtic Druid staff - Better than Guardian staff in highest magic attack rolls/best mana use reduction of -30%
    Celtic Tribolt wand - Able to cast all elemental bolts with chaincast+4/ highest Magic attack out of all magical weapons
    (Note) Staff Spirits have a ultimate to chaincast+3 Int Magic like fireball, Icespear, and Thunder for Amazingly shorter time to cast them at it's best.
    Are currently the "Best" magical weapons

Personally Id do Celtic guardian staff since its cheaper to maintain and never can say never to the ability to cast party heal in the worst case situations and the Rolls for magic damage is barely any changed, you also gain MP back by 20% at the chance of 10% if you max out one of the spirit's passive abilities.

But if your really wanting to Max, go for Druid staff. Some folks prefer Druid prob for the -30% mana use reduction but it became pointless in my opinion because of one of spirit's passive abilities you can invest in.

If your wondering what special upgrade you should go for? It depends on your Magic attack, if its already as high as like 550+ go for Special Red upgrades for higher Crit damage, but if your low you can do Blue for consistent Damage output but lack that Crit Damage in RNG.

If your wondering how High of Magic attack is "endgame" Id say roughly 820+ As endgame Magic attack. It is possible for 1000+ Magic attack with modifiers and buffs from plenty of sources.

-Finally about the Spirit weapon transplant-

You lose Half of your spirit's level when changing it's current weapon to a new one. (From what others say since I never did this yet.)

Hope this helps with your questions. Id highly suggest using Staves instead of wands since Spirit Staves like Celtic Guardian and Druid deal the highest DPS output than a Wand plus better crowd control since I could guess your planning for a Firebolt Celtic Tribolt wand. As a mage crowd control is a must else you be overwhelmed.

(Conclusion) Use Staff spirit weapons for the Ultimate allowing you to chaincast Int Magic by +3. Hailstorm is also very viable if your able to fend off enemies from interrupting you.
  • Shiro42Shiro42
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    edited April 28, 2020
    You can toss a spirit around from weapon to weapon as much as you like without any loss to level. You will, however, need to reset its skill points (if you put them into bonuses) before the switch, which costs some monies depending on the spirit level.

So don't fret too much about what weapon to use, because you can always switch it later with a little cash.
  • BiobreakerBiobreaker
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    Oh, that's nice to know, thank you everyone.

So besides tossing away my old wand, I happen to have in my inventory a step 5 Original Sin Staff with +16 MA, a +27 MA Celtic Tribolt wand with +4 chaincasting and an avarage roll Frosted Borealis Blade. Are these good options or should I bank for the recommended staff instead?

I'm kinda worried going spirit on my wand since they are supposed to outperform in Fusion Bolt magic, should I craft another one that isn't chaincasting focused?
  • TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    edited April 28, 2020
    -Finally about the Spirit weapon transplant-

You lose Half of your spirit's level when changing it's current weapon to a new one. (From what others say since I never did this yet.)

Ah, this isn't true. You can move spirits around freely, even across weapon types, with no loss whatsoever, as long as you reset the ego points first. You only lose half the levels if you destroy the spirit entirely without putting it into a weapon (the remaining half is stored in an Empty Spirit Stone).

And, since this hasn't been mentioned yet, players can have 3 spirit weapons, but they must be different weapon types. You can have both a staff and a wand, and even something else.
    Alshian
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    I personally don't think the new update is worth it. Unless you have a top level spirit weapon and a top level weapon to transfer the spirit to, you're probably going to find the grinding to be too much of a pain. Honestly, they increased the amount of grinding you have to do to increase spirit levels now, and now there's even higher levels you can get to in order to make grinding an even bigger chore. This basically turns lower level egos into a grind quest for a good weapon and a massive amount of gems to feed it that inevitably won't be enough. I burned through my entire inventory of gems and still haven't gotten my ego past level 50 (and I had two pets full of gems and one with like 30 diamonds in it). The only saving grace is the extra boost of exp you get randomly that will sometimes help you.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the time put into it. But that's just me. I've only gotten my egos up to 20, and my old one is like level 42 or something. They're extremely tedious after a certain point and I'm not even half-way done. It's just not worth it. Save your time and just go do something else.
  • TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    Actually, the new system is much much nicer than the old one. You don't need gems. Rolling Pins are much more efficient food. I spend about 2-3 hours a week (In 10-minute increments spread throughout the week) feeding my spirits rolling pins, purchased from any NPC that sells cooking tools. That's enough to fully max out the weekly spirit experience (400k exp per week). Ah, and if you do the math, using rolling pins costs less than using gems as well.

As for the benefits of spirits, many of them have amazing new abilities in addition to the huge power boosts they offer. The damage boosts aren't just the first columns' +damage upgrades, but also the second columns upgrades which increase damage dealt by 10% at least, and another 10% once the enemy's HP has been reduced. The last column's upgrade to increase 'awakened status bonus' can give a tremendous boost to all damage dealt by all skills, for 75+ seconds after casting Spirit Awakening.

Now, if pure damage doesn't interest you, just look into the abilities spirits gain:
    Staff spirit charge hailstorm almost instantly, recovers MP when attacking, and gains +2 chaincasting for intermediate magic.
    1-handed weapons gain a 20% increase to bash damage, and can inflict a long bleeding effect, which deals damage every second.
    Guns can do nothing of interest.
    Chains get Chain Impale Splash, which could pair nicely with Death Mark, as well as +20 seconds to Chain Burst.
    Shurikens can load Sakura Abyss in 1 second, allowing for an amusing party trick when combined with Time Shift.
    Lances get a decreased cooldown for Lance Charge, and no minimum lance charge distance.

Spirits are actually useful now. It's not just 100% fire wands.
  • Kudos4YouKudos4You
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Squee wrote: »
    I personally don't think the new update is worth it. Unless you have a top level spirit weapon and a top level weapon to transfer the spirit to, you're probably going to find the grinding to be too much of a pain. Honestly, they increased the amount of grinding you have to do to increase spirit levels now, and now there's even higher levels you can get to in order to make grinding an even bigger chore. This basically turns lower level egos into a grind quest for a good weapon and a massive amount of gems to feed it that inevitably won't be enough. I burned through my entire inventory of gems and still haven't gotten my ego past level 50 (and I had two pets full of gems and one with like 30 diamonds in it). The only saving grace is the extra boost of exp you get randomly that will sometimes help you.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the time put into it. But that's just me. I've only gotten my egos up to 20, and my old one is like level 42 or something. They're extremely tedious after a certain point and I'm not even half-way done. It's just not worth it. Save your time and just go do something else.

You've obviously never gotten the old spirit to a high enough level then if you think they increased the grind. Having to stay logged in with your classic spirit weapon equipped just so that its mood changes and hunger increase, having to time when to feed it to get 100% of the gems exp or else you end up wasting 15% of it or even more, feeding only 2-4 gems per half hour of spirit weapon equipped if not longer. Not to mention having to rotate gems to increase different stats making you backtrack lower stats and feeding intervals unless you have diamonds. It took me 4 months to even get my classic spirit weapon to lv45 social and thats with 2 of those months of 6-10 hrs of afking with the spirit weapon equipped. Oh btw that was only about 2/3 the way to lv50. There's a reason why nexon only gave +30 spirit levels to a lv45 when converting to the new system while giving +40 to lv48+ classic spirit weapon.

Fact check, the old spirit weapon was grindier and forces you to stay in game to even level up.

I'd take the new spirit weapon any day. Sure you're limited to 400k exp per week, that's 14 weeks of capping to get to lv100. That's much better than having to actually stay in game with the weapon equipped and having to check regularly. Not mention you don't even need max bond until post lv50 when it actually gains bonus Ego points.

BTW if you wanted to be efficient with your spirit levels, you should really be selling your gems and feeding rolling pins instead. Ally with elves, wait until wednesday and then feed rolling pins.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited May 1, 2020
    Biobreaker wrote: »
    Oh, that's nice to know, thank you everyone.

So besides tossing away my old wand, I happen to have in my inventory a step 5 Original Sin Staff with +16 MA, a +27 MA Celtic Tribolt wand with +4 chaincasting and an avarage roll Frosted Borealis Blade. Are these good options or should I bank for the recommended staff instead?

I'm kinda worried going spirit on my wand since they are supposed to outperform in Fusion Bolt magic, should I craft another one that isn't chaincasting focused?

I say just try different ones. You can switch weapons around using the same ego. You just need the mats is all.
    Personally, I like the staff. At a higher level you can spam 3 charge Int magic. That's just 2 charges to throw fireballs.

I don't know if the grind is going to be hard or not. I was lucky and had a huge stockpile of diamonds saved. Like multiple pets of 10CMs. I was bottlenecked by the weekly EXP cap.