Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

One year Anniversary

Comments

• AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    edited June 1, 2020
    My thoughts about that was they likely did planned for a full merge but likely had to back down due to the amount of players at the given time. You likely seen it for yourself right? How Nao server was nearing full or at least half way up?

They likely don't want players to queue to just log into Mabinogi when it actually manage to get full. They were not entirely lying that with merging the 3 servers would be similar to Alex server although it turned out to be a lot more. After some time it really DID became like Alex but a tad bit more.

Now that players who logged into Nao to see how packed the server is and when the interest dies down players just stopped caring and now the numbers had plummet.

At the state of both servers merging could be a good time soon. Although it would just mean more names needing to fix.

Heck I heard Nao had more channels compared to Alex to fit in all those flooding numbers of players till it died down.

Another thought would likely due to possible stress on the very server with the amount of players that would log in, causing extreme lag, disconnections, and other issues, may even outright cause the channels to go into "maint" and "reboot" if something goes wrong.

final thing you would hate to have is missing data on your characters which may cause black robes.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited June 1, 2020
    CMKyrios wrote: »
    There isn't anything special planned for the merge anniversary. :(

It hadn't even occurred to me that the date is in 2 days until after I read this thread.

Kyrios, don't do it. Don't do anything special for it. It's going to open up some wounds. Just let the day pass. I'm telling you right now - it's a BAD idea.

Now what would be a good idea especially with the recession and the fact that you guys shut down MS2 amongst lots of other games in the last few years, and there is probably going to be another "restructure" because of that...maybe now is the time to consider just having one big server for everyone. I mean we all want to be together now, this community is over 12 years old. Lets all just be one big happy family.

I mean taking care of one server should in theory make it easier and more cost effective.
    Kensamaofmari
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited June 1, 2020
    Alshian wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

It hadn't even occurred to me that the date is in 2 days until after I read this thread.

Could you find out why it wasn't a full merge and, indeed, why we had separate servers at all?

My thoughts about that was they likely did planned for a full merge but likely had to back down due to the amount of players at the given time. You likely seen it for yourself right? How Nao server was nearing full or at least half way up?

They likely don't want players to queue to just log into Mabinogi when it actually manage to get full. They were not entirely lying that with merging the 3 servers would be similar to Alex server although it turned out to be a lot more. After some time it really DID became like Alex but a tad bit more.

Now that players who logged into Nao to see how packed the server is and when the interest dies down players just stopped caring and now the numbers had plummet.

At the state of both servers merging could be a good time soon. Although it would just mean more names needing to fix.

Heck I heard Nao had more channels compared to Alex to fit in all those flooding numbers of players till it died down.

Another thought would likely due to possible stress on the very server with the amount of players that would log in, causing extreme lag, disconnections, and other issues, may even outright cause the channels to go into "maint" and "reboot" if something goes wrong.

final thing you would hate to have is missing data on your characters which may cause black robes.

That's not how it works. You don't log into a "server", this is a misnomer, you log into the Mabinogi database. What are incorrectly called "servers" are actually partitions of a database cluster. The partitions are ultimately arbitrary, so reducing the number of "servers" (partitions) will not effect any kind of "log-in queue". Over the entire system there would not be more lag, although particular popular channels themselves would be more likely to experience lag, as there would be more people to fill them, but the average lag of the entire system would remain the same. If after a merge the total number of channels is reduce then THAT would contribute to more overall system wide average lag. The reason why Nao was overstuffed was because of this. When word of the merge got round and long absent players came back to check things out, they stuffed into too few channels. Based on pre-merge populations, Nexon felt that the three merged servers could be served by seven channels. The channels on each "server" are ACTUAL servers in the hardware sense. So Nao, had replaced 21 servers with 7. They miscalculated and 3 days later moved Nao up to 10 channels by adding three more physical servers. One year later, Nao's ten channels, on average are still about 40% more populated than Alexina's seven channels. This means they should either boost Nao to 14 (to have the same density as Alexina) or could reduce Alexina to 5 (to have the same density as Nao).

Since the internal test "server" is an actual hidden partition of the database I understand the need for two servers. But I want to hear from Nexon why they didn't do a full merge and why the live consumer portion of the database was split among more than one "server" in the first place.
    Crims wrote: »

Kyrios, don't do it. Don't do anything special for it. It's going to open up some wounds. Just let the day pass. I'm telling you right now - it's a BAD idea.

Unless, it's to announce a resolution to the duplicate name issue, enabling a completely copacetic final merge of all servers.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited June 1, 2020
    The solution is relatively simple. Just take out all the pluses. Example: CrimsonServer instead of Crimson+Server. Because somehow due to the way the broken coding functions the plus characters basically borks the admin functions in guilds. So remove all the +'s and that will fix that bug.

I really wish they would address this because guilds still have players that they can not remove from their guilds. It's been a year now NA. You guys won't even acknowledge the problem.
  • HelsaHelsa
    The solution is relatively simple. Just take out all the pluses. Example: CrimsonServer instead of Crimson+Server. Because somehow due to the way the broken coding functions the plus characters basically borks the admin functions in guilds. So remove all the +'s and that will fix that bug.

I really wish they would address this because guilds still have players that they can not remove from their guilds.

Ultimately, Nexon could be ham-fisted about it and do what it wants, they certainly don't mind being opaque. But if they decide to listen to the player base then there is a problem. There may be some on Alexina who would be willing to be FORCED to adopt "?Alexina" but not all would. There may be some on Nao who would be willing to throw there names back into the hat for the sake of unity but not all would. So, they would either act when the situation had degraded to as perilous a one as it was last year, where they could act in any way the saw fit citing the need to act quickly at any cost, or they figure out how to use record number as the primary key rather than the name and server of residence fields allowing unlimited name duplication. I have to hope they are actually working on the latter. If they can enable it, not only would it allow for a smooth full merge but then everyone who wished they could have been named Kitsune could be Kitsune or Fakénamé or whatever. Once knowing that any acceptable name is available you'd likely get more people paying for name change.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Well its speculation at least, not very knowledgeable about how this game works but only just a little idea what it could of be (which is wrong I guess).

Well, there is some good that came of this...at least I am not cursed with Name+Alex, "yet".

How they handled it is rather bad, too bad to pass by yea?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Well its speculation at least, not very knowledgeable about how this game works but only just a little idea what it could of be (which is wrong I guess).

Well, there is some good that came of this...at least I am not cursed with Name+Alex, "yet".

Fugitaboutit, it's not your fault they call them servers.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited June 2, 2020

You won't be, because I am pretty sure that they learned a lot from the last merge. They won't use pluses anymore. They might just tag you with NameServer or Name65465498. lol.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited June 2, 2020

You won't be, because I am pretty sure that they learned a lot from the last merge. They won't use pluses anymore. They might just tag you with NameServer or Name65465498. lol.

I just thought of another problem. People have actually paid for name change service, ON BOTH SERVERS. So, automatically you can't just say "too bad Alexina". I think Nexon would like to avoid forcing someone away from their "paid for" name. Since such folks are on both servers, finding who should be protected by virtue of having paid for their name becomes quite the book keeping problem. They're just gonna have to substitute away from using character name and server of residence as the primary key. They ought to do it, from a business point of view, as it will likely lead to more paid name change requests.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

Now what would be a good idea especially with the recession and the fact that you guys shut down MS2 amongst lots of other games in the last few years, and there is probably going to be another "restructure" because of that...maybe now is the time to consider just having one big server for everyone. I mean we all want to be together now, this community is over 12 years old. Lets all just be one big happy family.

I mean taking care of one server should in theory make it easier and more cost effective.

At least not right now, the world is already seething with enough rage and anger. People don't need to know the reasons right now and add more negativity in their bodies.
    Wolfsinger
  • HelsaHelsa

At least not right now, the world is already seething with enough rage and anger. People don't need to know the reasons right now and add more negativity in their bodies.

Horse Hockey! You're making the assumption that the reason it is so would make people angry. There's no reason not to tell us why. Everyone is house bound anyway and the people who play this game are the kinds of folks that never leave their basement anyway even when it's not a pandemic.
    Crimsọn
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Lol. Yeah there's plenty of memes about us gamers and nerds that we had already mastered the art of social distancing long before this pandemic.
    courtneyyWolfsingerHabimaruSherri
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745

Horse Hockey! You're making the assumption that the reason it is so would make people angry. There's no reason not to tell us why. Everyone is house bound anyway and the people who play this game are the kinds of folks that never leave their basement anyway even when it's not a pandemic.

Well over this past week... not everyone is being house bound.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn

Well over this past week... not everyone is being house bound.

Nope, everyone is having a grand time. Since a lot of people are still unemployed there's is endless rioting in massive proportions. Be careful of what you buy from Ebay or craigslist. XD
    WolfsingerKensamaofmari
  • HelsaHelsa

Yeah, so anyway could you find out why it wasn't a full merge and, indeed, why we ever had separate "servers" at all?

• SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    edited June 3, 2020
    To be honest, and I know it's selfish, but I had to fight a very long battle for the name I have now and if all that was for naught I might just go insane, and all because they didn't just slap everyone together the first time (and created a significant divide in the playerbase in not doing so).
  • HelsaHelsa
    Sebastian wrote: »
    To be honest, and I know it's selfish, but I had to fight a very long battle for the name I have now and if all that was for naught I might just go insane, and all because they didn't just slap everyone together the first time (and created a significant divide in the playerbase in not doing so).

Yep.

I just thought of another problem. People have actually paid for name change service, ON BOTH SERVERS. So, automatically you can't just say "too bad Alexina". I think Nexon would like to avoid forcing someone away from their "paid for" name. Since such folks are on both servers, finding who should be protected by virtue of having paid for their name becomes quite the book keeping problem. They're just gonna have to substitute away from using character name and server of residence as the primary key. They ought to do it, from a business point of view, as it will likely lead to more paid name change requests.

And this is a problem ENTIRELY of their making. We, in the community, are in no way at fault. By "slap everyone together" did you mean in 2019 or 2008? I want to know Nexon's thinking in both cases.
    SebastianWolfsinger
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    edited June 3, 2020
    By "slap everyone together" did you mean in 2019 or 2008? I want to know Nexon's thinking in both cases.

I meant the merge, where they decided to leave Alexina on the bench. Don't know much about what 2008 could be referring to, I joined 5 years after the fact
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn

Yeah, so anyway could you find out why it wasn't a full merge and, indeed, why we ever had separate "servers" at all?

Because back then it was necessary. This game is now 12 years old and obviously doesn't have as many players as back then. They are not going to be able to give the answers you are looking for. They are not allowed to.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Sebastian wrote: »
    By "slap everyone together" did you mean in 2019 or 2008? I want to know Nexon's thinking in both cases.

I meant the merge, where they decided to leave Alexina on the bench. Don't know much about what 2008 could be referring to, I joined 5 years after the fact

2008 is when they originally set-up the servers.

Because back then it was necessary. This game is now 12 years old and obviously doesn't have as many players as back then. They are not going to be able to give the answers you are looking for. They are not allowed to.

You're making a few assumptions though. You're assuming that we have multiple servers for load reasons. Maybe that's the case but we really don't know. You're also assuming that the real reason things were set up this way and continue to be so, would be upsetting to know. Says who? If they are, in fact, avoiding answering you've just given them something to use as a reply, true or not.
    Sebastian