Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Jousting Tournament times

AkiharuAkiharu
Mabinogi Rep: 810
in Feedback and Suggestions
Hello.

My feedback/suggestion concerns the times of Jousting Tournaments.

For a good while I've been wanting to participate in this, as I've interest in doing so, but the times they begin are far too late for someone living in Europe ( it would be about 5 AM when they begin in my time zone ) and so I was wondering if there would be anything that could be done about this, such as adding additional times when the tournament would start.

For example one weekend they could start as they usually do and another they could start at a time more convenient for those of us in Europe that would like to participate, but are unable to due to the immense time difference.
Or maybe another tournament could be taking place on another channel at a more convenient time?

Thanks.
Greta

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Yes. The same thing should go for Tara's Fashion Contest, Banquet and Festia's Treasure Hunt.
    Akiharu
  • AkiharuAkiharu
    Huh, I didn't even know there existed some treasure hunt. I checked it out and yes, I agree that all those three should also have additional times which cater to Europeans.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    One problem that would happen would be that everyone might just attend one competition and not the other.
    If more are going to be added, there needs to be assurances that there would be competitors for all the additional competitions.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    The most common weekend around the world is Saturday/Sunday; second is Friday/Saturday. All the weekly events should be held on Saturday, a half hour to an hour apart centered around 5PM GMT. That would correspond to 9AM Saturday in California and Midnight Sunday in HK. But if, brazenly, we really only are gonna care about the Americas then 1PM Saturday California time, is still pretty good for Europe, at least.
    KensamaofmariAkiharu
  • AkiharuAkiharu
    I figured there might be enough players to attend, given that European players migrated on NA servers, but of course I'm not sure how big of a portion of the players on the NA servers are actually from elsewhere.
    Honestly, whether the current time gets changed to something better fitting for most time zones or whether there's new ones, I'm okay with either, as long as it would allow those of us from overseas to participate as well.
    Akiharu wrote: »
    I figured there might be enough players to attend, given that European players migrated on NA servers, but of course I'm not sure how big of a portion of the players on the NA servers are actually from elsewhere.
    Honestly, whether the current time gets changed to something better fitting for most time zones or whether there's new ones, I'm okay with either, as long as it would allow those of us from overseas to participate as well.

On average, Alexina meets the minimum quota of 8, average around 11 contestants.

Nao at times struggle to meet the quota, is usually closer to 7.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited July 2, 2020

On average, Alexina meets the minimum quota of 8, average around 11 contestants.

Nao at times struggle to meet the quota, is usually closer to 7.

Until June of last year Alexina had the largest population of the Mabi NA servers. For the entire time that jousting has been in Mabinogi, Alexina's population has been big enough to support a big enough community to maintain regular finals with sufficient attendance. On Alexina, folks that enjoy the jousting minigame can expect finals to happen. To be sure sometimes they don't but they are properly expected. So enough people were able to develop an interest as a kind of hobby. All of us jousters on Alexina know each other and we're all friends; it's a kind of community. This comradery gives additional impetus for finals to remain regular. It is a common mindset that a minimum attendance is required and folks want to help and not let their friends down.

The other three servers were not big enough to maintain regular finals and so the idea that finals never happen set in becoming a self fullfilling prophecy for them. Nao was created in June of last year and has twice the population of Alexina but that small server mindset remains. In spite of that, we are trying to build a jousting community on Nao, there is one but it is not yet quite big enough for regular finals to be expected; but we're trying. We do have finals on Nao that are no where near the same regualrity of Alexina but are far more often than they were on Nao's constituent servers; even with their totals combined. We're close though. We just need a few more regulars and we'll be over the hump.

Many folks don't see the appeal of jousting saying that there are no good itmes to get, why do people bother. Well, there are some not bad items, but items has nothing to do with the appeal. Most of us regualrs are sitting on hundreds and hundreds of jousting points; most of us don't even know how many we have. It ain't about items. What appeal does PvP have, it gives no items? Jousting is a kind of PvP. Each match takes around a minute. Equipment and character stats play no role so new players have a real chance against veterans and there are no mods for it that some can cheat with. It's fair. Plus every Sunday, the game has a built in elimination tournament. A champion is declared and for a week they can be the best. Jousting is like PvP, but fair, fast, and organized. Come on out and take up poking; it's fun.
    Would more people participate if there was a weekly jousting statue like the fashion one?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Would more people participate if there was a weekly jousting statue like the fashion one?

I don't think it would hurt. Some folks like to see their name up in lights, so for such people it would be incentive. With the fashion winner, their statue remains until another contest is held and a new champion declared, meaning the most recent champion remains the "current" champion; not unlike the Toronto Raptors. So, in the case of a long spell of no finals, people may get tired of seeing the same statue and make the effort to replace it.
    KensamaofmariAkiharu
  • AkiharuAkiharu
    I'd definitely be up for the whole thing with having a statue of the current champion up. It could indeed become an incentive for some people. Pardon my late return to the thread. I'm not greatly a forum goer, so it's easy to somewhat forget these.
  • HelsaHelsa
    I'd definitely be up for the whole thing with having a statue of the current champion up. It could indeed become an incentive for some people. Pardon my late return to the thread. I'm not greatly a forum goer, so it's easy to somewhat forget these.

What server do you joust on?
  • AkiharuAkiharu
    Helsa wrote: »

Ah, damn, again. Grr. Pardon the terribly late reply, but I'm on Nao.
  • HelsaHelsa

Kew. Have you competed in a final there?
  • AkiharuAkiharu

Sadly I've not been able to compete at all. It would be 5 AM when the tournaments would even start. Much too late of an hour for me.
  • HelsaHelsa

Sadly I've not been able to compete at all. It would be 5 AM when the tournaments would even start. Much too late of an hour for me.

Oh that sux. I guess the best you can manage would be 2nd joust at 8AM, but the finals are at the same time as the earlier joust. I'm guessing you're in eastern Europe somewhere.