Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

O-X Event, 2 regulars or 1 Special?

PixiestickzPixiestickz
Mabinogi Rep: 305
edited February 21, 2017 in General Chat
I saw this question flying around earlier on reddit, so I decided to give my input there and here, especially considering how I didn't find it addressed here.
So when we look at the announcements, we can see that there are 61 items in the normal box and 52 in the special with only one Carasek Bag in each.

Carasek's Bag in Normal box - 1/61 (1.6%~)
Carasek's Bag in Special box - 1/52 (1.9%~)

So by getting two Normal boxes instead of one:

Carasek's Bag in Normal box - 2/61 (3.2%~)
Carasek's Bag in Special box - 1/52 (1.9%~).

I must emphasize that this is only practical if no items within the boxes are weighted, which I'm incline to believe they are, granted I have no proof of it. Those are the numbers, do with them as you wish.

Comments

• LidrsterLidrster
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,830
    I must emphasize that this is only practical if no items within the boxes are weighted, which I'm incline to believe they are, granted I have no proof of it.
    I think the fact that the market isn't flooded with Carasek's bag is a good enough proof tho :)
    With these rates, almost everyone would get a bag after a couple days of quizz spamming (except RNG-cursed players)

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Lidrster wrote: »
    I must emphasize that this is only practical if no items within the boxes are weighted, which I'm incline to believe they are, granted I have no proof of it.
    I think the fact that the market isn't flooded with Carasek's bag is a good enough proof tho :)
    With these rates, almost everyone would get a bag after a couple days of quizz spamming (except RNG-cursed players)

Like me. TT_TT
  • OrkaneOrkane
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,365
    edited February 21, 2017

Carasek's Bag in Normal box - 1/61 (1.6%~)
    Carasek's Bag in Special box - 1/52 (1.9%~)

So by getting two Normal boxes instead of one:

Carasek's Bag in Normal box - 2/61 (3.2%~)
    Carasek's Bag in Special box - 1/52 (1.9%~).

This isn't how probability works. If it were, then getting 61 bags would mean a 61/61 i.e. 100% chance of acquiring the bag*. When in truth, no number of attempts guarantees success for a random chance. The chance of at least one success with two boxes is 1 - (1 - 1/61)^2 : 121/3721 rather than 2/61. The difference is actually pretty minor, but it's worth noting.

*I know 1/61 isn't the actual rate, but the principle is the same.
    AichannPixiestickzSylviaWolfe
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Soooooo...basically just get normal boxes?
  • OrkaneOrkane
    edited February 21, 2017
    Gaea wrote: »
    Soooooo...basically just get normal boxes?

The point of this thread is to show that the odds are weighted. Without knowing the weighting, it's impossible to say whether or not that's best.
    SylviaWolfe
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Which is the better box though? I've been hoarding coupons.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805

Same. I'm still not sure which box to buy after i'll get satisfied with amount of coupons i get.
    Helsa
  • OrkaneOrkane
    edited February 21, 2017

It's impossible to say. Just go with your gut, unless you feel like organising enough players together to determine the odds by experiment.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I probably gonna go with Special ones. There's less junk items in there. I'm full of potions and tailoring materials anyway.
    Helsa
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited February 21, 2017
    I've been trying special myself and I have yet to get that bag. Same goes to my friend. We've gotten nothing but stupid gems. :/
  • PixiestickzPixiestickz
    Mabinogi Rep: 305
    Orkane wrote: »
    This isn't how probability works. If it were, then getting 61 bags would mean a 61/61 i.e. 100% chance of acquiring the bag*. When in truth, no number of attempts guarantees success for a random chance. The chance of at least one success with two boxes is 1 - (1 - 1/61)^2 : 121/3721 rather than 2/61. The difference is actually pretty minor, but it's worth noting.

*I know 1/61 isn't the actual rate, but the principle is the same.

This is a great point proven. Probability always trips me, no wonder I did bad in statistics class KEK.

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    I have enough gems, I don't need more. :(
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    edited February 21, 2017
    Well.. if anybody is on Mari and wants Caravan Joe Chairs, I guess I'm selling some. Because that's all I've gotten for a while now. qq
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    I don't want to sit with Joe. O_o;;;
  • SherriSherri
    I don't want to sit with Joe. O_o;;;

LOL - well, the tea table one isn't that bad. You make him work for you and such. xP
  • KororeKorore
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,765
    @Gaea

But Joe wants to sit with you....
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Korore wrote: »
    @Gaea

But Joe wants to sit with you....

1240274778297.gif
    Opalthira
  • FoolieCooleFoolieCoole
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,175
    I feel like chances of getting a bag are kind if like your chances of getting a soundbox from barri advanced. You might get it on your first try...but chances are you won't.
  • SenyuniSenyuni
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,310
    I always get the special boxes since the norms always drop crap for me :S
    I think if anything ill just find a seller for the bag instead of doing the event,,,
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    I have quit this event, too much junk and the only reason why I played it was for a chance at a carasek bag which could land me 15m. Welp after several days and no bag I am done. Next event please. Thanks.
    AndrewGRXiokun