Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi Direct Launch Ending March 16th

Comments

• NinzerkerNinzerker
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
    That's great business advertising right here as, "Use the NX-Launcher! It Sloooows you down! But wait! Theres more! We'll also throw in our patented Rig Roaster! Cause you KNOW you love the fragrant aroma of molten silicon everytime you disconnect, crash, or feel like ruining your hardware!"

Only half joking about this BTW. Right now I can either:
    Click Mabinogi.exe, pinned to start bar.
    From Click to log-in is between 6-8 minutes

Or click the Nexon Launcher shortcut, have my laptop whirr up to 90+° for the better part of an hour, stall out, and listen to the corrupted Log-In music turned ear cancer as the Blue Screen of Death pops up. Force it to start all over from the beginning... Only to risk frequent disconnects and crashes to start it all over from beginning

NO THANK YOU
  • AxelrodAxelrod
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,165
    We still have this useless secondary password system to make logging in such a streamline system as well.

When are we gonna get a launcher for the launcher that requires additional different login credentials? DMmuPlD.jpg

And when are we getting our "force log in" checkbox back? Important questions mang.
    Darkpixie99
  • MediaKleptoMediaKlepto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
    Well, I did get a reply to the ticket I submitted, and also hopped on their live chat and unfortunately did not get an exactly settling answer.

From the ticket:
    "I understand that you're asking if Mabinogi will still be available through Steam after the March 16th update. Please know that the information that we posted on our website was regarding discontinuing the ability to directly launch the Mabinogi client via the Mabinogi.exe file within your Mabinogi game folder. There is no information that Steam will be affected by the update. Please refer to the link for more information about the news."

From the chat:
    "At this moment, we haven't received any information if Steam will be affected by the update."

I guess for now I'll have to go with the no news is good news philosophy and hope for the best.
  • NasumiRayneNasumiRayne
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,265
    edited March 2, 2017
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    I told my friend that the new policies of the Nexon Launcher just simply required Windows 7 and up.
    The launcher does, however, work under Windows Vista without issue as an aside for future reference. However, it's very misleading to state Mabinogi will work under windows XP in the info window within the launcher when the launcher itself will not work under XP.

• asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    Ah, now to find a Vista CD...I lost my backup and had to reformat my computer in XP. -sigh-
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited March 2, 2017
    But.. why? I mean, I use Nexon launcher myself, but.. still, why? What's the accomplishment in this?

I mean, I understand getting rid of the big 'Play' button on the game website. MapleStory already did so. But why the .exe?
    Gaea wrote: »
    Why should you have to restart the computer?
    Arjune wrote: »
    "stay logged in 36 minutes to earn X reward .... only can use nexon launcher soon"

are they trying to weed out people who use multi accounts?

It's always good to have a back up computer right? You never know when old faithful might eat it. You can just use that laptop sitting right next to you. Get a sturdy TV tray and a comfy office chair that swivels. I use Nexon launcher on the laptop, and Steam on my PC. They are -both- handy. Especially when you want to run two different games and not on the same computer.

-pat pat-

^_^

I'd do the same, but two reasons why I can't;
    1. Parent's won't really let me, 'one computer is enough'.
    2. My laptop is crap anyway. It's RAM is only like 2 GB. I can barely run Mabi on it. xP
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    Sherri wrote: »
    2. My laptop is crap anyway. It's RAM is only like 2 GB. I can barely run Mabi on it. xP

Reminds me when ppl were able to get a decent computer......then G6 came out and crashed just about everyone and they upped the requirements so a good handful of ppl could no longer run the game if they didn't upgrade.

This was painful because I ran only mabi on my computer and it overheated my capacitors on my motherboard so they swelled up and leaked. At the time I was attending college so I needed a computer to run my class software so I got lucky and was barely able to scrap enough together to get another computer. This time....I don't think I'll be so fortunate. Alas, was fun while it lasted.
  • ShogaiShogai
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,090
    Y'all better get everything done and sold by the time the 16th rolls around. After that, rest in pieces Mabinogi.

If it's anything like the forums, it won't work half the time anyways.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2, 2017
    Crossx2 wrote: »
    If they're going to take away the ability to directly launch the game then they need to change the way Mabi works with Steam. I play Mabi through Steam, but I use a different account then is linked to my Steam account, and as far as I know there is no way to switch a Steam account once its locked to a Nexon account. This creates a problem when they take away my only one other way to log into the game.

You can submit a ticket and request that your account be unlinked from Steam, thereby allowing you to link a different account to it instead.
    Greta wrote: »
    Oh my god, why would you merge complaint thread with official one? SMH. SO CONFUSING, MAKE IT STOP!

Multiple threads on the same subject is rather redundant.

---

As a note, for those who haven't tried it on NxL yet-- the Launcher reduces the risk of the game borking just because the direct launch window grabbed the wrong update package. I know a few others that have experienced this in the past as well as myself, and it was the worst thing to have to completely uninstall the game and reinstall it.
    asnscorpio wrote: »
    Ah, now to find a Vista CD...I lost my backup and had to reformat my computer in XP. -sigh-

Try to get a 7 or 8 disc instead, unless you like having more resources taken up.
  • GregoryeGregorye
    Mabinogi Rep: 100
    edited March 2, 2017
    Today I installed the nexon launcher. Yes I had to reinstall mabinogi and re download it completely. No the "import" function did not work at all. Now whenever I click that big ol "play" button, you guessed it, nothing happens! Repairing/reinstalling mabinogi will not fix this. Repairing/reinstalling the nexon launcher wont fix this. Just "product is still in use." Doesn't even do the anti hack thing anymore.

Funny enough: the .exe in the game files still launches it 100% fine!

So I guess after the 16th I wont be allowed to play mabinogi anymore? Pretty depressing considering how much I like this game and how long I've been playing. But all good things must come to an end I guess?

edit: to clarify when I say "nothing happens" I mean absolutely nothing. The play button has a spinning circle for a few seconds and nothing even shows up on windows task manager! Just the client, and even though even windows task manager sees NO new processes the nexon launcher STILL says "product is in use."
  • AwesomeOneAwesomeOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 815
    Now Idk if my NetBook is like just supernatural or what but its only a intel atom N455 (1.66ghz SINGLE CORE) 1G DDR3 Ram Windows 7 Starter....... and I had it open for at least 6-7 hrs Yesterday With the launcher testing...... But i do understand that people want to run other things with mabi most of the time which is understandable.. or have Issues with the launcher ( i have gone threw this with Trion Games). Time will Tell if they Actually sit down and fix the Issues but from what ive seen since this fourm came up ... still have Login Issues and getting kicked out every time i go to post .. my doubt is there...
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited March 2, 2017
    I don't know why you guys would bother doing this. The whole point of the direct launch is so you don't need Steam/Nexon Launcher. By disabling Direct Launch, you're forcing people to use Steam/Nexon Launcher, not to mention that if they downloaded it normally in the past (a.k.a, the Direct Launch method), they may have to re-download it just to play.

Not to mention that Direct Launch is the only way I can get Mabinogi to play on my backup computer. I honestly think disabling Direct Launch is the wrong method.
  • Jag272Jag272
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    Since people are getting fixated on the "I don't want this launcher so I'm going to quit" responses and turning a blind eye to most the legitimate complaints, for some of us the launcher straight up doesnt launch, or as has been mentioned the infamous play does nothing bug with the launcher. For many of us, we want to play, but being forced to use the troublesome Nexon Launcher could potentially lock us out of the game.

Now if they are indeed going to update the launcher and tidy it up, thats great, but you fix it before you force a rollout, not afterwards. As much as I prefer just using Mabinogi.exe, I would not be opposed to using the Nexon Launcher if it worked reliably in the first place, and I'm sure many others with issues with the launcher would feel the same. We'll have to see how Nexon handles things, but I hope they'll atleast patch the launcher before forcing it upon us, to wipe out some of the more significant bugs. Nobody wants to be faffing around wasting time getting the launcher working just to get onto the game, it should just work from the get go.

Again, I appreciate the launcher just works for many people, but as this thread alone has proven, disregarding the people that dont use the forums, there are a reasonably significant chunk of users that have trouble using the launcher, whether because of it being laggy on a low end PC, or cases where it simply doesnt work for seemingly no reason on a mid to high end pc such as my own.
    eikodenSherri
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    edited March 2, 2017
    Jag272 wrote: »
    Since people are getting fixated on the "I don't want this launcher so I'm going to quit" responses and turning a blind eye to most the legitimate complaints, for some of us the launcher straight up doesnt launch, or as has been mentioned the infamous play does nothing bug with the launcher. For many of us, we want to play, but being forced to use the troublesome Nexon Launcher could potentially lock us out of the game.

Now if they are indeed going to update the launcher and tidy it up, thats great, but you fix it before you force a rollout, not afterwards. As much as I prefer just using Mabinogi.exe, I would not be opposed to using the Nexon Launcher if it worked reliably in the first place, and I'm sure many others with issues with the launcher would feel the same. We'll have to see how Nexon handles things, but I hope they'll atleast patch the launcher before forcing it upon us, to wipe out some of the more significant bugs. Nobody wants to be faffing around wasting time getting the launcher working just to get onto the game, it should just work from the get go.

Again, I appreciate the launcher just works for many people, but as this thread alone has proven, disregarding the people that dont use the forums, there are a reasonably significant chunk of users that have trouble using the launcher, whether because of it being laggy on a low end PC, or cases where it simply doesnt work for seemingly no reason on a mid to high end pc such as my own.

That doesn't facilitate the removal of the Direct Launch, though. There is absolutely no reason to remove the Direct Launch aside from them force-feeding the Nexon Launcher down our throats.

And for my backup PC, the Direct Launcher is actually the least-strenuous option; I can't imagine the lag that the Nexon Launcher and Steam will have.
  • MayleinMaylein
    Mabinogi Rep: 610
    edited March 2, 2017
    Why? just why the nexon launcher has behaved poorly for me in the past and i intentionally keep my mabinogi off of steam so i can run other steam programs like civilization which i can run along with mabinogi with no lag while i wait for sales. The nexon launcher just is pointless for alot of us and we use the direct launcher for a reason. I seriously hope nexon reconsiders for once. Ive been here since late 2008 and I've always used the direct launcher there shouldn't be any reason to get rid of it. Mabinogi already even has its own launcher that annoys me enough you really think I want to use the nexon or steam launchers? Can we atleast get you guys to reconsider or postpone this change?
  • Jag272Jag272
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    edited March 3, 2017

I too would prefer to stick to direct launch if at all possible

That doesn't facilitate the removal of the Direct Launch, though. There is absolutely no reason to remove the Direct Launch aside from them force-feeding the Nexon Launcher down our throats.

And for my backup PC, the Direct Launcher is actually the least-strenuous option; I can't imagine the lag that the Nexon Launcher and Steam will have.

Oh I absolutely agree, maintaining direct launch would be far and away the most preferable outcome, merely saying that if Nexon are insistent on forcing Nexon Launcher down our throats they should at least iron out the bugs first so they don't lock their own players out of the game.

• PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki

Oh I absolutely agree, maintaining direct launch would be far and away the most preferable outcome, merely saying that if Nexon are insistent on forcing Nexon Launcher down our throats they should at least iron out the bugs first so they don't lock their own players out of the game.

I too would prefer to stick to direct launch if at all possible

(Fixed the quote. Somehow, your response got mixed in with your original post.)

If it is broken for some, then I agree, they should fix it. But, in the event that they somehow can't, for whatever reason, they should still leave it for those of whom it does work.
  • Atheist42Atheist42
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    ROan2011 wrote: »
    I have had Nexon launcher installed since Riders of Icarus beta, but have been only launching Mainogi by the exe. I do not get the option to import my current install of Mabinogi over. My launcher is on my G drive, while my installation of Mabinogi on my F drive.
    You won't get the option to import. Select 'download' for mabinogi and then select the installation location Mabinogi is in. It should then just verify accordingly rather than redownload.

Similar for me. I had Nexon Launcher installed for Vindictus, but always launched Mabinogi via the exe.

If I run Nexon Launcher, it's not giving the option to import Mabinogi. However, where you say "Select 'download' for mabinogi and then select the installation location Mabinogi is in", it isn't giving me an option to download Mabinogi.
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    It's been said that if it's not broken, don't fix it, and definitely don't throw it out completely.

This decision stinks of executive meddling by paranoid control freaks.
  • RocisRocis
    Mabinogi Rep: 985
    One problem I have with the nexon launcher is that it always updates, I guess its a good thing, but it gets really annoying that the launcher updates every time :/