Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Elves Being Better at Magic

ApollodorusApollodorus
Mabinogi Rep: 1,865
in General Chat
I've noticed as of late that a lot of the rhetoric concerning elves has involved the talking point that elves need to gain some advantage in magic. While my human druid and I may have certain opinions about that I'm putting those aside to honestly ask how do you want elves to be better at magic? What types of buffs or boosts do you want, what sort of improvements would you recommend, and to what degree would you take them? What would your perfect elf mage look like? What are you asking for here?

Don't get to crazy with it, but please do be a bit more specific than 'being better than other races' or 'given some advantages', or anything else that vague and unhelpful.

Comments

• KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    More base Magic attack
    Elf Exclusive Magic Skills
    Faster cast speed for all skills
    and more.
    ZerukanSylviaWolfeBerryswirlSherriElfvieTunfisk
  • GreaGrea
    Mabinogi Rep: 855
    edited March 11, 2017
    Can't think of much, but I do agree with Kaga on faster cast speed for magic skills.
    I guess letting Elves dual wield wands wouldn't hurt either, since Humans dual wield swords and Giants dual wield blunts, but who knows..
  • SelzyrSelzyr
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,055
    Elves need to be better at archery, not Magic, the concept that the long eared sand dwellers are better at magic is stupid and wrong, heck, even the concept that the blokes are better at archery is broken and taken from other people *cough* Tolkien *cough*...
    Question all around should be

"How too make all races feel unique, and give that "special snowflake" feel to everyone, without compromising gameplay?"
    Something that I'm 100% sure Nexon/DevCat will never figure out, can tell you that at least.
  • KagaKaga
    Selzyr wrote: »
    Elves need to be better at archery, not Magic, the concept that the long eared sand dwellers are better at magic is stupid and wrong, heck, even the concept that the blokes are better at archery is broken and taken from other people *cough* Tolkien *cough*...

"How too make all races feel unique, and give that "special snowflake" feel to everyone, without compromising gameplay?"
    Something that I'm 100% sure Nexon/DevCat will never figure out, can tell you that at least.

No. They are supposed to be good at both.
    Everytime we get "updates" (if we get any) for elves, it's always an "archery boost", and never a magic one. So this time we need more magic related buffs.
    NegumikoBerryswirlHazurahSherri
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Kaga wrote: »
    More base Magic attack
    and more.

I was kind of expecting you to want one of those things, but you want more huh?
    Grea wrote: »
    Can't think of much, but I do agree with Kaga on faster cast speed for magic skills.
    I guess letting Elves dual wield wands wouldn't hurt either, since Humans dual wield swords and Giants dual wield blunts, supposedly..

I'm starting to think Elves have some sort of complex about dual wielding. Honestly, I think a better idea would be to create elf exclusive items that go in the shield slot and provide boosts since that would be easier to balance since it wouldn't give elves literally twice the amount of magic attack from their (presumably step 6) wands. Something like spellbooks, but repairable and giving some boosts outside of mana conservation.
  • KagaKaga
    More base Magic attack
    and more.

I was kind of expecting you to want one of those things, but you want more huh?
    Grea wrote: »
    I guess letting Elves dual wield wands wouldn't hurt either, since Humans dual wield swords and Giants dual wield blunts, supposedly..

I'm starting to think Elves have some sort of complex about dual wielding. Honestly, I think a better idea would be to create elf exclusive items that go in the shield slot and provide boosts since that would be easier to balance since it wouldn't give elves literally twice the amount of magic attack from their (presumably step 6) wands. Something like spellbooks, but repairable and giving some boosts outside of mana conservation.

I would love to get one of them (mainly the base magic attack boost)
    Just laid everything out there for people to have a clue how we could buff elves when it comes to Magic.

Make elves more OP in magic/archery like humans are more OP in combat.
  • GreaGrea
    Mabinogi Rep: 855

Never actually played an elf. I was just thinking that each race should at least dual wield something unique that the other races cannot. Only a simple thought to throw out there really.
    BerryswirlBleuie
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Just laid everything out there for people to have a clue how we could buff elves when it comes to Magic.

Ok, so just to be clear here are you saying that elves should get more magic attack for each 5 int or should have higher base int? Also aside from FH humans are only OP in warrior because of gear, Giants as I recall outclass them in raw stats, so rather than make changes to stats what if Nexon released various elf exclusive wands/staves/outfits/robes with with good set effects and about as easy to obtain as a pair of Celtic Royal Knight Swords?
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Well instead of double arrow, elf mage can shoot double firebolt.

So break bolt magic like nobody's business?
  • KagaKaga
    edited March 11, 2017

Ok, so just to be clear here are you saying that elves should get more magic attack for each 5 int or should have higher base int? Also aside from FH humans are only OP in warrior because of gear, Giants as I recall outclass them in raw stats, so rather than make changes to stats what if Nexon released various elf exclusive wands/staves/outfits/robes with with good set effects and about as easy to obtain as a pair of Celtic Royal Knight Swords?
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Well instead of double arrow, elf mage can shoot double firebolt.

So break bolt magic like nobody's business?
    First one, more magic attack for each 5 int compared to now (5 int = 1 m att)
    Right now with the updates I see both Giants and humans as a stronger race compared to elves.

I rather see double blaze
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited March 11, 2017
    Dual wands.

Half the casting time of spells, allows 2 charges at the cost of one charge.

yxodpP.gif

^Something like this.
  • ApollodorusApollodorus
    Right now with the updates I see both Giants and humans as a stronger race compared to elves.

Feel like this needs a lot of specifics, since the effects will snowball.
    Dual wands.

yxodpP.gif

^Something like this.

Ok, so to reiterate double wands means you are getting magic attack from both, which after special upgrades is huge. Add on that you made firebolt spam take half as long and, well... yeah, people are already using it to clear end game content as it is now...
    Kaga
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425

Feel like this needs a lot of specifics, since the effects will snowball.
    Dual wands.

yxodpP.gif

^Something like this.

Ok, so to reiterate double wands means you are getting magic attack from both, which after special upgrades is huge. Add on that you made firebolt spam take half as long and, well... yeah, people are already using it to clear end game content as it is now...

I just wanted to post a picture regarding the iron giant. Though yes, my idea is far too ridiculous at base, much less the casting speed or damage reforges.
  • FroglordFroglord
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,020
    edited March 11, 2017
    This thread is going downhill because of a bias.

In mabi's plot, only humans were specialized at being druids, and have received blessings favoring magic. Which in turn lead to developing stuff like Alchemy, which was basically an imitation of divine magic.

The idea elves are good at magic was coined in during the release of Iria, but was gradually scrapped because anyone could be just as equally good at magic. Despite elves paying a higher Ap cost to train magic skills.
  • TamisraTamisra
    Mabinogi Rep: 500
    There is no reason to buff elves beyond the 400% aim speed coming their way shortly. This more then compensates since it takes the already highest DPS in the game, magnum shot, and makes it viable to handle crowds with it since you can essentially use it as quickly as firebolt, or eliminate the enemy before any others even reach you. Buffing magic post Vision of Ladeca, especially by lowering casting times or increasing magic attack for elves would be like giving humans the ability to triple bash even though humans already (currently) are dominant.
  • KagaKaga
    edited March 11, 2017
    Tamisra wrote: »
    There is no reason to buff elves beyond the 400% aim speed coming their way shortly. This more then compensates since it takes the already highest DPS in the game, magnum shot, and makes it viable to handle crowds with it since you can essentially use it as quickly as firebolt, or eliminate the enemy before any others even reach you. Buffing magic post Vision of Ladeca, especially by lowering casting times or increasing magic attack for elves would be like giving humans the ability to triple bash even though humans already (currently) are dominant.

a 400% aim speed that lasts ATLEAST for 15 mins (IF you are 25k and you can use it once a day) and that should fix elves?

k.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Selzyr wrote: »

No. They are supposed to be good at both.
    Everytime we get "updates" (if we get any) for elves, it's always an "archery boost", and never a magic one. So this time we need more magic related buffs.

I agree with Kaga, elves are supposed to be good at magic and archery. the Falcon transformation gives more mp then any other transformation plus they do have exclusive skills that involve both magic and archery. Elven Magic Missile skill involves using lightning, ice, or fire arrows. ancient elves originally used unstable magic called Shyllien and the Shyllien Nature Reserve is likely a result of changes from Irinid's curse breaking. so their connection to magic and being good at it makes perfect sense. next time bother to actually research something before judging the elves. as for improving the elves I fully support improving both their archery and magic abilities. would nice to allow elves to improve in close combat though.

KagaSherriDaktaroPeloi
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    I kinda hate that I wasn't around to see this earlier, but oh well. Not reading the whole thing right now. Here's what I'm thinking:

-Give elves more magic defence/prot somehow (maybe through magic mastery?), with a focus on prot
    -Give elves a higher base MP regen rate
    -Maybe give elves an exclusive mana shield buff? (probably through an indirect buff, with a passive 10% all-round mana usage reduction, or a change in mana shield itself so that it uses magic def and/or prot to reduce damage, and thus favor elves, who would have the highest of those stats)
    -Give elves some kind of elemental-infusion skill(s), which they could use with bows and magic weapons to add/increase damage of a certain element (with the added bonus of serving as an additional source of int)

That's about it for magic. Of course, I think elves could use a few archery buffs too (mostly slight improvements on FS and mirage missile), and the changes made here would warrant other changes to compliment them (changes to content to make these things relevant, similar buffs to other races), but this is the center of it.
    Froglord wrote: »
    This thread is going downhill because of a bias.

In mabi's plot, only humans were specialized at being druids, and have received blessings favoring magic. Which in turn lead to developing stuff like Alchemy, which was basically an imitation of divine magic.

The idea elves are good at magic was coined in during the release of Iria, but was gradually scrapped because anyone could be just as equally good at magic. Despite elves paying a higher Ap cost to train magic skills.

I agree. It actually annoys me a little when people do this, partially because elves are already pretty versatile (honestly, they shouldn't have even gotten bash), and partly because it detracts from discussion of updates to archery, which, I feel, could really use some.

I've never really seen much of a reason for elves to be better at magic as well as archery. I'm starting to rethink that, but mostly as a way to give them some advantages without breaking the game anymore (and especially as a form of racial balance).

Also, the hybrid talents suck, for sort of giving elves an actual reason to complain. Most of me wishes they'd never been added.
    Apollodorus
    Please stop arguing guys. You buried my post on page 4. =T
    (You should go read it)

Also, of lesser importance, I wouldn't particularly like to see either of you band.
    SylviaWolfe
  • NeynaNeyna
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,140
    (You should go read it)

Also, of lesser importance, I wouldn't particularly like to see either of you band.

Yeah I did read it, but like I said somewhere there too, that they should give some music buff that gives Magic Attack like BFO for Max damage.
    NA and KR need to realise that not EVERY ELVES lives in NA to keep getting these Archery related buffs.
    Kaga
    Neyna wrote: »
    (You should go read it)

Yeah I did read it, but like I said somewhere there too, that they should give some music buff that gives Magic Attack like BFO for Max damage.
    NA and KR need to realise that not EVERY ELVES lives in NA to keep getting these Archery related buffs.

Yeah, I remember you said something like that before. It's a minor part of the reason I started thinking about magic buffs for elves.

However, you should know that, even in the US, archery suffers pretty badly from lag (although, I say this from the east coast). I'd honestly like to see some changes to the way it works in general, so it won't be affected so much by lag, but I think that would involve fixing some pretty entrenched issues (location lag the most annoying), so it's not likely to happen.

As for the magic BFO, I really don't like the idea, for no reason in particular. I don't think magic needs this, as it's already really good all around. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the damage it can generally dish out to say anything more than that.

Also, don't apologize to the OP. Everyone can clearly see their post. You should apologize to me, for obscuring my post ON PAGE 4.