Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Isn't it about time we let giants and elves marry?

MihariMihari
Mabinogi Rep: 770
edited December 16, 2016 in Feedback and Suggestions
With the rebirth of the forums, you knew this topic would show up eventually! I mean come on, the war between these two races has been canonically over for a couple of years now? There are so many milletian couples that can't be wed because of this silly, outdated feud. Plus now with Ailla saying that apparently she and Art are an item, we now have two official giant/elf NPC couples in the game (Taunes and Atrata being the most famous one). Pretty much everyone else has a place to get married, regardless of gender. I think it's high time that these two races can do the same with each other.

If a location to make this happen is the problem, we do have a few options:

- Add a wandering priest NPC somewhere in Iria that can wed the two players
- Have Kousai in Cor be in charge of elf/giant marriages
- Have Emain Chapel wed humans and elf/giant couples
- Remove the limitations on all three chapels and have any couple looking to get hitched simply pick which one they find the most aesthetically pleasing

Please make this happen, some way! So many players have been asking for this for years!
Darkpixie99CaptainMarvelouspennybrendaKttySoraHakuDATinysatanchanNegumikoElfyDarkwhipSheenaand 5 others.
  1. Giants and elves marrying each other, yay or nay?124 votes
    1. Yay!
       90% (111 votes)
    2. Nay!
       10% (13 votes)

Comments

• PhormPhorm
    Mabinogi Rep: 650
    Absolutely. I must admit, as a Giant who's been here a while, the only ones in-game who've ever considered marriage with me were 90% elves.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    To be honest, I thought we already had that in place. But if it isn't, then it's in dire need of a revamp.
  • PromesteinPromestein
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,185
    edited December 16, 2016
    I don't support this. Elves and Giants are never meant to be together.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited December 16, 2016
    Promestein

Regardless of lore nerds, normal filthy casual players just want to relax with the hubby or wifey from IRL, and having to pick humans because neither can compromise on either elf or giant due to a marriage system is really game killing. To be honest, there's already an NPC shipping couple, where they say "Although it was forbidden, they fell in love." If a new NPC is devised to make Elf+Giant Marriage possible 'due to the power of love' by making the two go through a trial to 'test their love' such as running a special dungeon near Cor, it will feel like you are fighting against the preconceptions about Giant and Elf marriage set by the lore. It really would be nice to see this sort of thing happen.
    FloristBleuiepennybrendaLadameVasumatiTinysatanchanSylviaWolfeYellowBinbooooobaaaaEwelaand 3 others.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Or set up a wedding chapel in Belvast (y'know, that place where even humans and fomorians get along just fine).
    SherriBleuieSpiritikaVasumatiDarkwhipbooooobaaaaFalmostaDanievictriaZeokapapa
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    Promestein

SylviaWolfe
  • will1624will1624
    Mabinogi Rep: 990
    Lets not forget the elf and giant in the story line that loved each other. Let love prevail!
  • rainLOVErainLOVE
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,510
    Nexon secretly loves human race so they get it all
    ((whispers
    VasumatiSylviaWolfekapapa
  • MihariMihari
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Promestein

Except this is said in the game...literally never.

Taunes and Atrata fell in love while the feud was going on. That doesn't mean all elf and giant couples are doomed, especially now that the war is officially over.
    LunatoMercurySphyra21Tinysatanchan
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Doooo iiiiiit

Dowra/Maike OTP

Source: Artist's Tumblr
    KttyLunatoMercuryImaizumipennybrendaTinysatanchanDemoncatFoxieeElfyNegumikoHumiliatingand 6 others.
  • andrewngn13andrewngn13
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,020
    I mean we're quoting giant/elf love by using Taunes and Atrata, but look where that got them.

Still totally separated from each other. Ailles and Art are just a mystery at this point, no idea if they'll actually make anything of it.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited December 24, 2016
    [
    andrewngn13

I mean we're quoting giant/elf love by using Taunes and Atrata, but look where that got them.

Still totally separated from each other. Ailles and Art are just a mystery at this point, no idea if they'll actually make anything of it.
    ]

That's because love is a mystery, you never really know how much you love someone until you spend a lot of time together or a lot of time far apart. However, Elves and Giants have been at war for so long, and now that everything's said and done... no one knows how to move forward. There's still a little bit of tension, but how awkward would it be for a player to walk into a faction that would have slaughtered you on the spot in the past, only to receive glares and judgement? Both NPCs have jobs they love in the towns they love, maybe not getting together was their way of thinking of what was best for the other? It's still love, but sadly a relationship that has likely decided moving on was best.

Players aren't bound to the lore and hatred of other NPCs, so having a 'Trial Dungeon' for both the Elf and Giant to go through as a way they can prove that the views of others don't matter and having the NPC pronounce "They are in love, not because of race, but because they are simply in love. The trials they have gone through have shown they truly value one another, and refuse to be torn apart by race and traditions. I bless these two in the ceremony of holy matrimony." would make you want to root for the couple. After all, no matter the hardships you go through in life, marriage is in itself, a ceremony of celebrating true love. Why restrict the players when NPCs and lore are still growing? Maybe in a few more years, we might actually see an Elf and Giant who secretly ran away from Vales and Fillia to Uladh or even Belvast to get married. Maybe Tanues and Atrata will be given a chance to get closer together in a new lore for Iria, and admit that they're in love and we get to see what their superiors think on the matter. Times have changed, for better or worse both the NPCs and players need to find some sort of even ground on Elf and Giant relations.
    LunatoMercuryTinysatanchan
  • ImaizumiImaizumi
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,225
    Who cares about the lore when we have festia, shakespeare, motorbikes, guns, etc. anyway? It's like the bonus rather than the focus at this point if you ask me.
    TinysatanchanDanievictriakapapa
  • Dai_Mata_ReiDai_Mata_Rei
    Mabinogi Rep: 900
    i'mma say nah to it. purely cause of the story within the game. the giants and elves (as in the npcs) are set up to not like elves i get that the player character isn't actually of either but still. somethings shouldn't be messed with. though the system does need some work. like for example allowing elves and humans to get married in emain or more in general more areas in the game world.
  • mintielmintiel
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,855
    Even as a lore nerd IMO they should let players have it. Like lets be honest I don't think most players of this game really care about the lore these days. So why force people to stick to it? Just let it happen. Like many people have said, the war between elves & giants is over and has been for years. Time to move on.
    Darkpixie99Tinysatanchankapapa
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    If players wish to get married or whatnot, go ahead.
    I think giants are ugly though.

//whisper
    //Also, I don't ship. I sink with canon.
    //I'm probably the only one against shipping.
    //god how i hate it
    Demoncat
  • CaptainMarvelousCaptainMarvelous
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Dai_Mata_Rei

i'mma say nah to it. purely cause of the story within the game. the giants and elves (as in the npcs) are set up to not like elves i get that the player character isn't actually of either but still. somethings shouldn't be messed with. though the system does need some work. like for example allowing elves and humans to get married in emain or more in general more areas in the game world.
    I mean Nexon completely ignored the friendship forged between Tarlach and the milletian just to make him an edgelord in the saga, killed off Triona for no reason, and wrote many giant and elf characters outside of Vales and Filia to get along well.

But hey, whatever convinces you that elf/giant marriage is somehow more controversial than gay marriage (which is only controversial for the same stupid reasons, IE "Because...uhh...we said so?"), which the game also allows, and helps you sleep at night.
  • ZerukanZerukan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,280
    +1 for this

The Giant/Elf war is over and there's no reason lore wise that they shouldn't be able to get married. Sure there may still be some tensions between the races, but the war is over and it shouldn't stop them from marrying.
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    edited December 23, 2016
    I support this. The lore has nothing to do with what the players should be able to do in game, it's for story purpose only, and as stated, the war is over, the races even have a truce in the story now, for you lorenerds.

Taunes and Atrata are not together, no, but still love each other, if you absolutely need a story to support elf/giant marriage, they could easily do something with those two actually getting together.

Mabinogi advertises itself as your "fantasy life", so if an elf and giant want to get married, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed. Not everyone wants to start a whole other character just to marry the person they love. I like the idea of a wedding chapel in Belvast for this situation.

In the end, it doesn't matter what race they are, love is love and everyone should be allowed to get married regardless.
    Darkpixie99Kttykapapa
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    "Who cares about the lore when we have festia, shakespeare, motorbikes, guns, etc. anyway? It's like the bonus rather than the focus at this point if you ask me."

It's like Montague's VS Capulet's all over again kek

(Mercutio for life)

Darkpixie99SylviaWolfe