Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Is mabi worth returning to?

ZiaeZiae
Mabinogi Rep: 400
in General Chat
I've been thinking of late of returning to Mabinogi I've got myself to play for a few months at a time for the last few years I've been playing since beta my question is mainly for Ruairi server is the game worth coming back to with the population on such a decline I've heard the discord server had sparked some activity. Are people actively running raids? And SM? How are new events of late new content etc. I haven't been online since July.

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Ruari has more dedicated players it seems. It is not dead from the testimony that Ruarians give.
    CarlizeHarukari
  • VenenatisVenenatis
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,255
    Gonna be honest here, as someone who switched from rua to alex... rua is pretty dead. Unless you're super far into the game I'd just make a new account on Alexina. With all the beginner benefits you can get to a decent place pretty quick
  • JekzellJekzell
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,050
    Just came back yesterday after a year. Was wondering whats new
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    edited March 18, 2017
    Venenatis wrote: »
    Gonna be honest here, as someone who switched from rua to alex... rua is pretty dead. Unless you're super far into the game I'd just make a new account on Alexina. With all the beginner benefits you can get to a decent place pretty quick

I dunno about the populations, but I can vouch for the beginner benefits. They're great - get tons of AP just for ranking up talents to expert, reset your skills to get more, repeat until you've done every talent (as long as you're under 1k). Not only do the beginner benefits enable this to be used to the fullest, but they also grant more AP than you would get without them, if the wiki is correct. With eight free characters, you can get tons of saga ponies, and beginner weapons (1 gold per point repairs). Not to mention storage space from the bank/inventories. I happened to start at a good time, having a chance to obtain both the carasek bag and the slushy cloud soon after starting, not to mention coming in at the tail end of a x2 training and free repair event (not that I was in any position to use these well), but it should be pretty easy regardless, if you already know what you're doing.

As for what's new, all I've personally taken notice of is Festia and The Squires (although they might not be new to you, since you said you've only been gone a year; I dunno when exactly they came along). Free nerfed gachas and free cash shop/advanced play items, basically (though you will get useless crap most of the time in the form of gems and mats, in early game most of these should be worth storing and using to train life skills eventually). Nothing great like what would normally motivate you to buy gacha, but a few things that will ease your fantasy life a bit.

Having said all that, they aren't exactly fun. Festia could be, if it wasn't deserted. It's interesting to learn about the squires at first, but then they just kinda fade into the background - just another element of AFKnogi. Not that I'd ever expect anything more from that. It's still an interesting feature to have in Mabinogi, since we haven't really had anything like it.

There are a few other new things - passive power creep (renown system, eweca buffs based on total and current level, because the existing stat bonuses for leveling weren't enough), buffed dungeons which still aren't really worth doing for the most part (at least not at early game, unless you're looking for skill pages), end game content which I have yet to touch, and some new equipment and fashion items - but those two are all that really stood out to me.

So, if you only want to mess around with a new account to look at the new stuff or see how well you can abuse the beginner skill resets, and maybe eventually take it more seriously, then yeah, I'd say it's worth it. It's easier than ever before. As for activity in general... I saw some people killing a desert dragon recently, and the black/white dragons still seem to die whenever they appear. I've seen a few Lord parties, and I'm rarely in channel 1, so I'm guessing they're still pretty common. More than that, I can't say.

Should probably mention that in that last part, I'm referring to Alexina.
    Carlize
  • FilthyRedDevilFilthyRedDevil
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,160
    edited March 18, 2017
    How about you just make a new account and check out Alexina? Tl;dr I assume you have been playing in Ruairi most of your time so a change of atmosphere would be nice right?*Shrugs*
    Greta
  • VenenatisVenenatis
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,255
    An easy way to catch up really quickly is this:
    You get ap for getting a talent to expert (as you know just clarifying for anyone else interested and reading)
    As a beginner you can reset your skills, any time you want for no cost
    So rebirthing as little as possible, rank each talent to expert, then reset and repeat until you've done all the talents.
    This doesn't take that long (took me ~1 Month maybe a bit more)

Once you're done all this just from the talent ap you'll get ~4600 ap
    Count the levels, quests, saga, and generations ap and once you're ready to lost beginner benefits you should have ~7kap which is about enough to nearly max out one stat meaning you'll have one talent that's really strong and be total 1k.

Side note: the moonlight travellers book, exploit that and unlock all the moon gates and mana tunnels so when you lose the benefits you have all the warp spots unlocked.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    All I can say is get ready for content to be shoved in your face hole.
    Not that it's bad though, some of it is really easy to get into.
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    Mabi is always worth returning...
    until they mess up with the bgm
    Crisis1
  • PepperPepper
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,210
    edited March 27, 2017
    Been playing Mabi non stop for 7 years no breaks. I m finallt getting tired of the crappy and useless range updates, I ve started playing guild wars 2 lately and quess what NEXON RANGE DOESN T MISS THERE, And as far as I can tell they don t put out useless skills. Heres another thing I have 16440 ap and nothing to use it on. Wake up and smell the coffee before you lose any more players And they don t have crappy AFK events
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Pepper wrote: »
    Been playing Mabi non stop for 7 years no breaks. I m finallt getting tired of the crappy and useless range updates, I ve started playing guild wars 2 lately and quess what NEXON RANGE DOESN T MISS THERE, And as far as I can tell they don t put out useless skills. Heres another thing I have 16440 ap and nothing to use it on. Wake up and smell the coffee before you lose any more players And they don t have crappy AFK events

Why are you even here if you hate Mabinogi that much?

AutographZeara
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    For returning players I usually like to ask them how long they have been gone for and rate them on a scale ranging from total novice to a recent veteran break. A veteran on break will probably have nothing worth returning to as content is not updated frequently enough for anything worthwhile to appear. On the other end is a total novice, players I put into this range are players that came on to play and got overwhelmed or turned off by the combat and came back to try again, or someone who stopped playing several years ago and have forgotten how the game works.

Remember, Mabinogi is a wide open sandbox game, given enough time, you will experience all the content the game has to offer, this happens with all games you play. For returning players its important to inform them of what new content had been released in the time of their absence and then judge if the game is worth returning to. There will always be supporters and detractors. For me, anyone that has been out for at least a year is definitely worth returning given that the new content will last you a fair bit of time. One last thing to take away, Mabinogi has a bit that everyone likes, from minigames, combat, to fashion elements, it offers a chance to do a bit in everything, if you have one specific taste then there are other games that will cater to that need much more than what this will offer.