Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

The Current State of The Tarlach Fair

ShakayaShakaya
Mabinogi Rep: 4,075
edited April 11, 2017 in Tarlach Chat
"The Tarlach Fair - A Fair full of fun Events and Contests, made entirely BY the players, FOR the players."

So, I have quite a lot of thoughts about The Tarlach Fair and what to do with it. For any who aren't aware, I was trained by Evaline to continue The Tarlach Fair as the Fair Headmaster, and Eva did assist me in the last two Tarlach Fairs that I've hosted. But now, we don't have any of the original Tarlach Fair staff returning (meaning those that came from Rayout and Lostones or were friends with those guys and assisted the fair). Because of this, I think it would be best to re-construct this event from the ground up to better suit our current community. If the original creators are unhappy with the changes that will be made, I would be happy to re-name it to be a completely new thing on its own. Though, being able to continue to call it "The Tarlach Fair" would be ideal as there are still many people on our community that remember and love those events, and would show up to it simply because of the name and memories they've made at previous fairs. But that's to be discussed privately with the previous Headmasters at a later date, and if any of you Headmasters see this post before I contact you about it then you're welcome to send me a message first.

But, there are 2 big things that I want to talk about for future fairs. The first is that we need to build an entire new staff team. The only returning staff I can count on are my guildies, the rest that have helped in the previous fairs have either not shown interest in staffing another or have gone inactive on Mabinogi. (Now, if you helped staff a previous fair and you do want to staff again, please send me a note saying so because currently I have 0 notice of anyone with intentions of returning to staff outside of my guildies). Staff will be required to use Discord and be active on our Fair Discord Server. That rule is there simply because it's the easiest way to communicate information to everyone. We can have voice calls for easy planning, and those without mics are able to easily respond in text-to-speech, and there's plenty of text channels to plan out each event.

P.S. when I say Staff Team, I mean volunteers by the Tarlach Server community. No Nexon Staff is involved in this event. It is ran entirely by the community, for the community.

Because I need to reconstruct the staff from the ground up, you can expect 2017 to not have a fair. This will be the first year there has not been a Tarlach Fair since 2009, and I'm sorry about that but I really need more time to be able to build up a brand new fair. I would like to shoot for a fair in the summer of 2018, which would give us a full years time to come together as a community and prepare for it. I would also suggest that anyone signing up for Staff to be pretty available in the Summertime. We will not have a set date for the fair until we have a staff team and proper preparations made.

But... This fair kicking off entirely depends on if our community actually comes together for this. Now, the last fair did have donations by the community and those were greatly appreciated (and you are listed on the Donation List on the Tarlach Fair's website as well, and I do thank those who've donated so very much), but it was significantly less than what previous fairs have gotten in terms of donations. I don't want to beg for donations, and I probably won't openly ask for them from people that have not signed up to be on the staff team. But the last fair was mostly funded by me and lightwater, and it was really hard to pull off. We did it, but barely.

If we're going to be able to continue this event, I need a staff team that will help divide the work more evenly, and not have the majority of it be on my shoulders. I also need a staff team that will commit once they've signed up for staffing an event and not go MIA halfway through the year and end up with me having to replace you. I also need a staff team that will actually show up on fair day and not cause us to reschedule any events... (honestly not trying to throw shade at last year's staff, but point being made is that if you sign up to help me with this Fair, please stay committed to it). If you are a person that generally has a booked schedule and isn't able to be available for things often or has trouble staying active on Mabinogi, then don't sign up for the staff. You're most welcome to come enjoy the event when we're finally able to host it if you find out you're free on fair day after all, but don't sign up for the staff unless you can really commit to showing up on fair day and participating in all the planning and preparations that will be needed for it.

Second big thing I want to discuss is event changes. The popular generic events (PvP tourny, homestead contest, bard off, fashion contest) will be kept but changed to fit our community and time better. Changes to Bard Off will need to be made because we've had the Music Q update since the last fair, Fashion Contest needs to be changed to run faster and smoother, PvP street rules will probably be vastly different in a year from now, and all of the events judging score-sheets will need to be re-made from scratch to fit our current staff team better. The events that are unique to the Tarlach Fair (ex. Obstacle Course, Wild West, etc.) that was made by the old staff team will be cut and we'll think of our own new creative events so that this new fair will reflect it's new staff.

And the responsibility of these changes will fall on everyone that joins the new staff team. This fair is ran by the players, for the players. And to be able to pull off an event this big without having anxiety break downs, I need our players of the Tarlach community to come together and help staff this fair again! Anyone that is able to commit is welcome to join the staff team, just send me a note in-game or add me as a friend and I'll invite you to the Fair's Discord Server (my IGN is Shakaya).

Also! I want the rest of this thread to discuss feedback about the Tarlach Fair in general. Please vote in the poll attatched to this post and please post replies with constructive criticism and ideas to help us improve future fairs!
ZairakAZuhraClovercodyRetsamehtmaiFaybalHyoukazeFableAura
  1. What do you think about the Tarlach Fair?28 votes
    1. I am in LOVE with The Tarlach Fair and I super duper want to join the Staff!!!!!!!!!!!
       14% (4 votes)
    2. I feel the fair needs lots of improvement and I would like to join the staff to help improve it!
       0% (0 votes)
    3. I love participating in the fair whenever I am able to! I always have a good time!
       36% (10 votes)
    4. The fair isn't as great as it used to be, but I still enjoy participating in it.
       18% (5 votes)
    5. I have been disappointed in the fair ever since Spooklee left.
       14% (4 votes)
    6. I am a troll and I like to try to ruin your events! MWUAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!
       18% (5 votes)

Comments

• AmelinaAmelina
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,400
    Though I don't know if this is the case, I believe the Tarlach Fair is what makes Tarlach unique from other servers, as I don't think they host fairs like you have before. I would love to help if I was reliable on the times that I was on but due to my constant disappearances I wouldn't be able to. I do however hope that you're able to find good staff members for it. Heck I might even spread the word to the people I know if you'd like!

Also, that ONE person who voted for 6, you're evil!
    Shakaya
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Amelina wrote: »
    Though I don't know if this is the case, I believe the Tarlach Fair is what makes Tarlach unique from other servers, as I don't think they host fairs like you have before. I would love to help if I was reliable on the times that I was on but due to my constant disappearances I wouldn't be able to. I do however hope that you're able to find good staff members for it. Heck I might even spread the word to the people I know if you'd like!

Also, that ONE person who voted for 6, you're evil!

Spreading the word would be super helpful! Anyone who's typically free on Saturdays in the Summertime, and is regularly active on Mabinogi, and is willing to use Discord, is welcome to join the staffu! <3
  • AmelinaAmelina
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,400
    I have a friend I know irl who might be willing to! He loves to help but I'm not too sure if he'll be okay with Discord, but I can ask him! Or at least ask him to spread the word
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Thanks! By the way, I also just want to put this out there: If we don't get enough staff to run an event this big smoothly, it will either be cut up so all events aren't on the same day and it'll span over a week or so, OR there will not be another fair at all. I really don't want to give up on this, but our server is a butt ton smaller than it used to be. Last fair was a struggle to run, and if we just don't have the community for this anymore then we don't have the community for it anymore. uvu;

So yea, this fair kicking off depends on all of you guys. o3o!
  • ClovercodyClovercody
    Mabinogi Rep: 690
    So I am interested in this.

Ran around with Spooklee and I have no idea if Spookie is ever around anymore?

Anyways, Would like to help out in any way that I can, but I've been gone for about 6 years and I have no idea what discord is

Shakaya
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Clovercody wrote: »

Anyways, Would like to help out in any way that I can, but I've been gone for about 6 years and I have no idea what discord is

It's similar to skype but 99999999999x better. If you're willing to get it then you're welcome to join the staff! Go ahead and add me as a friend in-game and I'll answer any questions you have via PM! :D

Welcome back to Mabinogi, by the way! <3
  • FaybalFaybal
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,775
    Sign me up for staffu Moother :>
    Also yas Tarlach fair is great <3 I think its amazing that we host something so cool and fun; usually we have a lot of attendence during the activities :D
    Shakaya
  • ClovercodyClovercody
    Mabinogi Rep: 690
    Shakaya wrote: »
    Clovercody wrote: »

It's similar to skype but 99999999999x better. If you're willing to get it then you're welcome to join the staff! Go ahead and add me as a friend in-game and I'll answer any questions you have via PM! :D

Welcome back to Mabinogi, by the way! <3

Thanks! it's weird being back after being gone for so long, and there are sooo many skills now!

I will be looking into discord this weekend, and I think I have added you in game... I think? anyways am working on it! lol
    Shakaya
  • RyonariRyonari
    Mabinogi Rep: 410
    Hello! (Just in case my note didn't get through.)

I too am interesting in lending a hand for the Tarlach fair. I'm somewhat of a veteran player though I may lack a lot of knowledge compared to most players these days. Though that's mostly because I had been playing mostly by myself. I just now recently got back into playing Mabi again and I want to take this opportunity to get involved with the game's community!

I'm hoping we can get to talk about schedules and times and whatnot because that's something I'd like to go over given that if I'm added to the staff. I don't know anything about this Tarlach fair, but it sure does sound great! I'd love to contribute to it somehow!

My IGN is Ryochou and my Discord is Ryonari#7304.
    Shakaya
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Ryonari wrote: »
    Hello! (Just in case my note didn't get through.)

I too am interesting in lending a hand for the Tarlach fair. I'm somewhat of a veteran player though I may lack a lot of knowledge compared to most players these days. Though that's mostly because I had been playing mostly by myself. I just now recently got back into playing Mabi again and I want to take this opportunity to get involved with the game's community!

I'm hoping we can get to talk about schedules and times and whatnot because that's something I'd like to go over given that if I'm added to the staff. I don't know anything about this Tarlach fair, but it sure does sound great! I'd love to contribute to it somehow!

I added you! :D
  • SullyboxSullybox
    Mabinogi Rep: 710
    edited May 8, 2017
    I, Sularin, and Yesterdays are interested in helping out. We play on and off again but consistently during summers / holidays / or peak times.
    Discord: Queen Sully#6103
    Shakaya
  • EMTchibiEMTchibi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,245
    I'd love to join, but fainting a ton would make me miss entries to things, and that wouldn't be very fair ;w; If there's any other way I could help though just ask!
    Shakaya
  • SpookleeSpooklee
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    Finding stuff like this brings a tear to my eye.
    You have no idea how proud I am to see this event carried forward.
    Even if it no longer has the same framework, it touches my heart to see people passionate about it.

Dont stress yourself too much and remember to make events around your budget.
    Dont push to have seven events if you can only fund three.

I went on to run a monthly event in Fallen Earth for 2 years and I could only fund a lotto and a destruction derby with maybe 2 volunteers a month. Sometimes it was just me trying to keep 80 people busy (any more and the server crashed). I think I learned a lot from doing monthly events, then weekly events for other games. Currently working on setting up a sushi bar RP hub in Secret World. It's tough work, but I love it.

I look forward to seeing what events our server continues to maintain until server shutdown, because I love hearing about everyone trying new ways to have fun and encourage people to meet strangers and maybe make new friends.

Grandpa loves you,

Spooklee
    Shakaya
This discussion has been closed.