Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

What made you start playing Mabinogi?

timaeusstimaeuss
Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
in General Chat
Basically, what drew you to the game when you first saw it and kept you playing it?

For me, I think it was the art style. It was really pretty and when I was looking for a new game to play, it looked interesting. This was back in 2008 and Mabi has been the first MMO I ever played, so I didn't know what to expect. I watched the Lorna and Pan videos while I downloaded it and I thought the combat was really cool.
I came back to it and still play it because I like how different it is and it has a certain charm to it. The story is okay too, if a bit cheesy and convoluted at times.

Comments

• IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    The Lorna and Pan videos!

And also seeing that there was Cooking and Music in the game.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I was already addicted to MapleStory, might as well take another step into Nexon games.
    Sure enough, I'm addicted to both now. image
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    There was an old introduction/advertisement page that hyped up the fantasy life and customization aspects - crafting your very own clothes and weapons the way you like them.

It took me a while to realise that you couldn't actually design your own custom clothing.

I was deceived from the start and they've continued to lie to me ever since.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Seeing Nao on the back of a New Type magazine and the fact it was free to play. =D
  • ZerukanZerukan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,280
    When I was into MapleStory, one of my friends over there was into Mabinogi and said I should try it out. I loved the art style and the style of the game and immediately fell in love with it.
  • TentacleTentacle
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,070
    Having finished the first season of Vindictus' storyline, I wanted to learn more about mabiverse and here I am. What really pulled me in was unique combat system and while this aspect of the game has deteriorated quite a bit, I'm still having lots of fun with it.
  • TonkatunkTonkatunk
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    edited December 22, 2016
    For me, the rock, paper, scissors combat style and having to know how to fight. Back then the game didn't coddle you if you didn't learn and train. Mobs were balanced in a manner that you got hit, you died, even ciar normal was that way. There were life skills and such, but they weren't heavily emphasized, they're honestly worse now as they have even less use than way back then, they're just easier to train now. Back then, you had people sitting in ciar trying to get groups for the dungeons, people actually held random parties to run things.

Nowadays i don't see the aspects i joined for, party play is a thing of the past, learning extends to figuring out how best to lock a mob for the most part, and with only a few exceptions it's if you get hit, well you can take another 5 hits unless you're an elf who hasn't heavily prioritized prot and hp. Not to mention cash shop stuff. So for that reason, i pretty much only log on via request from friends through like discord, otherwise i have lost all interest in the game, and pine for the old days.
  • NekoLilyNekoLily
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,335
    I was playing another game before this one. Found a friend there that was playing Mabinogi and invited me to try the game, so I accepted. He then started explaining the game in all its parts and helped me a lot with the Generations, having been told that G2 was especially important. It was in the 2008, so the G2 was really a pain (Ideals, anyone?) but it was funny and after that, I met a "girl" (in-game female avatar, no idea in-real gender) that was a full healer: no combat skills, only healing skills. I was impressed by her and wanted to be like her! Obviously with some combat skills to make it through generations!
    I had so much fun back then
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Tonkatunk
    Tonkatunk said:

For me, the rock, paper, scissors combat style and having to know how to fight. Back then the game didn't coddle you if you didn't learn and train. Mobs were balanced in a manner that you got hit, you died, even ciar normal was that way. There were life skills and such, but they weren't heavily emphasized, they're honestly worse now as they have even less use than way back then, they're just easier to train now. Back then, you had people sitting in ciar trying to get groups for the dungeons, people actually held random parties to run things.

Nowadays i don't see the aspects i joined for, party play is a thing of the past, learning extends to figuring out how best to lock a mob for the most part, and with only a few exceptions it's if you get hit, well you can take another 5 hits unless you're an elf who hasn't heavily prioritized prot and hp. Not to mention cash shop stuff. So for that reason, i pretty much only log on via request from friends through like discord, otherwise i have lost all interest in the game, and pine for the old days.
    maybe try dark souls
  • BehelitBehelit
    Mabinogi Rep: 955
    My friend wanted us to play an mmo together, but since my laptop is terrible when it comes to running games I searched the web for a good low spec mmo. We decided to give Mabi a shot, but we weren't expecting much. In the end it turned out to be one of the best games we have ever payed despite having old graphics.
    Rukiya
  • VivianVivian
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    edited December 22, 2016
    I was looking for something to play, after a hiatus from maplestory, I saw nexon also hosted this.

My sister and me just somehow ended up getting hooked. Made friends along the way and ended up spending hours/years on this game.
  • TatsugiTatsugi
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,760
    To me, what I was drawn to in this game was the unlimited character customization possibilities mixed with magic and fighting styles. You literally can dress and do whatever you want and be the person you want to be.

Also, .hack//sign fan, mmos draw me like moths to a bug zapper, however I only play one and latch on for long periods of time.
    Jakimo
  • FayeKaibaFayeKaiba
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,670
    I had a friend who I met on another website who had just taken a break from the Mabi. After a few months person decided to rejoin Mabi and wanted me to try it out. So I did so and I have been addicted to the game for 5 years and I completely love the game. I still find ways to enjoy it every day.
  • ArgenArgen
    Mabinogi Rep: 915
    Originally, I was joining to surprise a friend who played the game since she was basically like a sister to me. I didn't tell her and I wanted to get stronger so when I did tell her, I wouldn't be a burden to her by dragging her down, heh. But... she suddenly left to play Sims and I was kinda... left hanging. I had a great deal of social anxiety back then and I'm heavily introverted so trying to make friends was... very, very difficult. Or, in other words, it didn't happen. This was back when I was TsunamiSD on Mari server. Well... eventually, my lap top died so I couldn't play anymore. It was a while before I was able to get a good gaming desktop and when I did, I decided it was time to look for an online game to play. Paying for a subscription based game was out of the question since I'm kind of.... poor... heh. But then I remembered that Mabi was free to play and I decided that it was time to play for myself and not for her. I started in August and I've almost reached Cumulative 3,000 and am a Master Mage. I'd like to think I've come pretty far but I know I still have a long way to go. I plan on becoming as strong as possible and then helping out as many people as I can, so people who were like I was will have an easier time enjoying the game.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited December 22, 2016
    Mabinogi was an old-shame for me.
    I don't play it anymore and now I am much happier
    Changed all of my info when I quit so that I could be alone ^_^
    I like the forums though !
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    One of my buddies whom I knew from college (which me, and someone I worked with got addicted to anime, and MMO's) got me into this game back in G2 been playing since albeit I did take a year break 2 times.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited December 22, 2016
    I joined in just because i was bored...Lol... My old friend who i met in Grand Chase (R.I.P #LongLiveTheChase) recommended me to try Mabinogi, since we chatted in Skype and i had nothing interesting to do anymore. So after i created my character in Alexina (because you know, it had "New" on it), just then decided to ask my friend where he is and in which server.... He then told me that he is in Tarlach xD! I felt terrible because of that, sorry my old friend D:... After i realized i'm totally alone i thought i will be done with this game after few days, but NOPE... I met my Mabi-husbando a bit later (now we are happy irl couple living together~ ♥) and got in love with this game and eventually with him >///<... Too bad he rarely plays now, but i'm fine as long as i have him next to me.
    Helsa
  • XtrooXtroo
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,820
    I acutely got into mabinogi because of Ragnarok Online artist, SR. He/she use to always draw about his/her mabinogi life and made a story about it. I was so drawn to his art work and I was like.. gotta play mabinogi!
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    Honestly my brother downlladed Mabi and I saw it on the pc we shared years ago. He never played it but I tried and got addicted.
    Here I am 8 years later.
  • NkeonaNkeona
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,515
    edited December 22, 2016
    I started playing back in 2008 when I saw my brother playing it. I stayed since Mabinogi was so customizable. I didn't like playing other online games where you had to choose one class and that one class had the same set of clothes, so it was hard to be unique. Plus I loved Mabinogi's Storyline as well, so I am excited to see how that new Memento content ties into the existing storyline.

I remember back then camping at a NPC's Clothing store for an item to be black or a good color. Good times. I also loved the challenge that I got when fighting Glas in G1, since back then it seemed super hard.
    KttyIyasenu