Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dark skinned elves?

Comments

• KikurikappaKikurikappa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,265
    Yeah, give us dark skin for elves! :D
    Sphyra21ZeoKaiwyth
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    They didn't kick dark skinned elves out, they kicked black haired elves out. Because black hair was an ill omen in their viewpoint.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that's what they said. That's why, for the longest time, you couldn't create an elf character with black hair (until they updated one day and changed that). That's also why Yvona is sitting out being anti-social, because she has black hair. That's also I think why they mentioned Atrata was going to be killed as a child, because she had black hair, but Castanea saved her.

In short, there is no lore based reason why dark skinned elves don't exist.

This, pretty much, been on Alexina server since it first came out in Feb 2009 so we didn't have G7 by that time but when we got those (and G8 bit later)... I still remember the storyline rather clearly that elves who have black hair were exiled out of Filia because it was considered as a bad omen... but there's nothing being mentioned about elves having dark skintone in the Mabinogi lore, not even via 'old storyline'.
    Sphyra21WolfandWolf
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    I don't know how elves manage to have pale skin in a damn desert.

Elves of Mabinogi, what's your secret?
    ZeoSphyra21Radiant DawnKaiwyth
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited May 29, 2017
    You know, the funny thing about Elf Milletians not having black hair is that it originally raises more questions than answers. First off, if it is a conscious choice to not choose, show, or acknowledge it, than how do Milletians know about the discrimination before entering Erinn, and why would any of them care? Someone had to be "that guy" or "that girl", and it it ridiculous. You have to be debriefed on the entire history just playing generations. Second, the nature of the rebirth system and pon shop raises the idea that the elven government has control over either. How do they? Why would Nao or Morrighan care to enforce rules of the world below when they barely act unless you use soul stones, and especially acts of discrimination, or Ropa and Coco, who are both humans? What is to stop Milletians from dying their hair, and if they did, why wouldn't the Elven NPCs give a in dialogue, before and especially now? Not to mention discrimination is not the same as "not existing". That is like saying segregation made black people nonexistent. There would not be any discrimination unless they existed in the first place, and Atrata is obviously there, although for special reasons. Yvona faced discrimination, but she exists.

So....yeah. It raises a great deal of questions as to how the black hair discrimination applies against Milletians, not to mention that having such versatile controls raises the question "why cannot we have a dark skin color?"

I mean, I suppose there is an ingame reasons against race changes to an extent, if to prevent spies, but Iunno.
    ZeoTwelieWolfandWolf
  • SirRyuSirRyu
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,690
    Would be funny
    Sebastian wrote: »

My guess would be that dark skinned elves don't fit into the idea of elves that the developers have, otherwise they'd be drow elves, course they didn't always live in a desert, that was caused by a curse., so...Magic!
  • ZeoZeo
    edited May 30, 2017
    SirRyu wrote: »
    Would be funny

My guess would be that dark skinned elves don't fit into the idea of elves that the developers have, otherwise they'd be drow elves, course they didn't always live in a desert, that was caused by a curse., so...Magic!

Yes, elves used to live in the forest a long time ago before the curse on Iria took over which turned the forest/oasis into some desert and... well, if you want to be fair... isn't the Courcle people who -live in the forest- (and considering elves have the forest/oasis so I'd say that's a similar atmosphere) pretty dark-skinned? Plus not to mention, the Iria Chapter (G4 to G8) was loooooooong time ago so most the developers who did it isn't probably around now... it depends on if you think that the current existing elves (as individuals) lived in the forest or if it was their ancestors... plus the timeline is pretty unknown on when this happened so...

Also... ???
    Zeo wrote: »
    Heck, we even have three (one being event) elf NPCs who have tan/dark skintones in Mabinogi yet we elves can't have the dark skin options... :/ Why, Nexon/DevCat?!

Elf NPC #1... from the Samhain event.
    j747iu.jpg

Elf NPC #2... one of the lost elves in Connous.
    Lostelf04.png

Elf NPC #3... one of the elven Cheer Squads from the jousting arena.
    282f7v8.jpg

So yes, they do exist.
  • TheLordofNyrinTheLordofNyrin
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    Been wanting dark skinned elves for years. I wanted to be a chocolate elf from the day i made my main. this is now the 8th thread I've seen on this topic, yes I've been counting. I've said it before and I'll say it again. it shouldn't be THIS hard to add and an unpaid intern could do it in an afternoon, heck id do it MYSELF at this point if i was able to make it happen officially as a game feature. It really doesn't make sense why elves don't have the option to begin with or why skin dyes and stuff like doesn't exist in a game that brags about character customization being its big main thing in its ads. also stating how humans and giants cant have certain elven hair colors.

Really, I personally believe that at minimum all colors for hair/eye/skin should be available to ALL THREE races, b/c its your fantasy life and its the players choice on how they want to present themselves as in a digital game world. also skin dyes/hair dyes/eye dyes really should be a thing. and elf ears really would be nice as a separate character design option.

Now for some actual technical nitty-gritty stuff. From what i can tell on how I have seen mabi ACTUALLY WORKS when it comes to coloring... the color that exists in the game is a hexacode color option, like FFCC00 or EFCFCF or something like that; INCLUDING skintones and hair colors. This color code system is used all throughout the game and on every object that is rendered besides mabye the terrain mesh. mabinogi's actual textures are the normal maps that give details to your outfits and characters, like an outline of a picture and the hexacode color being the inking. I figured this out by just doing some snooping of my own and some good old fashion research. so a update to the character editor, which is something they HAVE done before to add this in is child's play and could come out with any update they put out from hereon.

Also using this logic, a COLOR PICKER for your hair/eyes/skin would also be theoretically possible but i am 100% certain nexon is too damn stubborn and/or greedy to ever do something like that. Yet, other games have like Aion Online did just that, b/c their skin/hair and eye colors are picked from a color gradient you pick out a pixel from to color your character, similar to a photoshop color gradiant but it still uses the hexacode system for colors with the textures just being normal maps giving the details to items and objects.. EXACTLY LIKE MABI DOES. So it is possible even with the engine mabinogi uses.

This is why i have said it would take almost no time at all to just add some of the skintone swatches to characters and could be knocked out in an afternoon coffee break by an unpaid intern. But here we are almost 8 years later and still.. nothing. It's completely reasonable for people to be pissed.

As for the lore issue, what lore? the stuff that doesn't exist in context to dark elf skins? and even if there was, I don't care about your lore when people are beating each other to death with pillows, killing the final boss with a teddy bear or wearing a cake on their head or sniping people with a banana and stuff like that. mabinogi is a silly game where you get to play the life you wanted to play as. any actual lore was lost long ago and with every dumb Caravan Joe event or candy bonanza that lore gets weaker every time. Yes, the lore is still there but the continuity of the lore is far beyond **** when people are literally running around as clowns, acting like its just a giant amusement park and flying around on living food trucks, so I don't really see character customization options being a problem, and they can still co-exist along side the lore b/c it can easily be changed to say things like "Dark skinned elves were sealed away because they caused the great war of the burning horror and are just now coming back for the first time ever" like they did with the broken seal of Irinid in G18 and saga or a new generation focuses on the new features added to the game by giving it some backstory or significance or perhaps making player choices matter and NPCs react differently to how you look like how elves already do when talking to a giant, stuff like that. Theres even that giant ruined city in Muyu Desert that has very little backstory as to why its there *hint hint, nudge nudge* but that's going too in-depth for something like this. The whole point of the lore was to tell a story of the game and to get you immersed into it, but whats the **** point if the game isn't fun or enjoyable?

Customization is one way to make people happier and even dare I say spend some cash on your stinkin' gachapons and cash shop. So its just dumb they don't add MORE customization in general for the characters, not just another goofy hat or a cool new robe or shiny new wings, as nice as those are. Customization options are a GOOD thing and at the end of this long post. It isn't that much we are asking for here. just a few skintones to be added. that's it.

P.S. not apologizing for the ranty, long post.
    ZeoPepperLime
  • SirRyuSirRyu
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,690
    SirRyu wrote: »
    Would be funny

Yes, elves used to live in the forest a long time ago before the curse on Iria took over which turned the forest/oasis into some desert and... well, if you want to be fair... isn't the Courcle people who -live in the forest- (and considering elves have the forest/oasis so I'd say that's a similar atmosphere) pretty dark-skinned? Plus not to mention, the Iria Chapter (G4 to G8) was loooooooong time ago so most the developers who did it isn't probably around now... it depends on if you think that the current existing elves (as individuals) lived in the forest or if it was their ancestors... plus the timeline is pretty unknown on when this happened so...

Also... ???
    Heck, we even have three (one being event) elf NPCs who have tan/dark skintones in Mabinogi yet we elves can't have the dark skin options... :/ Why, Nexon/DevCat?!

Elf NPC #1... from the Samhain event.
    j747iu.jpg

Elf NPC #2... one of the lost elves in Connous.
    Lostelf04.png

Elf NPC #3... one of the elven Cheer Squads from the jousting arena.
    282f7v8.jpg

So yes, they do exist.

How do you know those aren't half elves? Maybe only pure elves are strictly fair skinned.
    Zeo
  • PepperLimePepperLime
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,020
    Cut

This summed up every feeling I have about this skin issue thing. There are a lot of things about the game that I complain about and I'm willing to even look over some of them and let it go if the skin thing was not an issue. I'm at the point where I'm willing to even pay for this. I mean why not at this point? I just want to play how I want. I always thought the character customization for this game was pretty alright (I've seen much better) except for this one problem. At this point, I feel people who are against it this are just saying they don't since others want it so bad.
    Zeo
    PepperLime wrote: »
    Cut

This summed up every feeling I have about this skin issue thing. There are a lot of things about the game that I complain about and I'm willing to even look over some of them and let it go if the skin thing was not an issue. I'm at the point where I'm willing to even pay for this. I mean why not at this point? I just want to play how I want. I always thought the character customization for this game was pretty alright (I've seen much better) except for this one problem. At this point, I feel people who are against it this are just saying they don't since others want it so bad.

exactly. it look so simple to implement yet years have gone by and we've not even gotten a reply from devcat/nexon. not even a reason or answer as to as to a yes/no from them.
    Zeo
  • ZeoZeo
    edited June 2, 2017
    Cut

To be honest... if they pulled a similar thing they did for hair dyes and did something like "Skin Spray/Lotion Tan" or whatever that let us change our skintone via dye permanently, I'd actually be willing to pay some money to get the skintone I want as long as it mean I can have natural dark skintone...
    TheLordofNyrin
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Why can't they just copy and paste the color options for hair, eyes, and skin from humans to every other race? < u>
    ZeoKaiwyth
  • ZeoZeo
    Xiokun wrote: »
    Why can't they just copy and paste the color options for hair, eyes, and skin from humans to every other race? < u>

This... or at least do it for the dark skintone options so elves would be happy... it seem like a really basic thing to do too...
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    Xiokun wrote: »

This... or at least do it for the dark skintone options so elves would be happy... it seem like a really basic thing to do too...

And drow elves! I wanna make a drow elf more than anything. :> That'd be so cool looking.
    Cut

To be honest... if they pulled a similar thing they did for hair dyes and did something like "Skin Spray/Lotion Tan" or whatever that let us change our skintone via dye permanently, I'd actually be willing to pay some money to get the skintone I want as long as it mean I can have natural dark skintone...

id prefer this as well tbh, that way you could be any color you wanted. including grays, greens, reds, browns etc. i wouldn't mind paying money too as long as you actually got to pick the color. randomized skintone colors would be a disaster.
    Zeo
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited June 2, 2017
    Kodora wrote: »
    Be glad you can even have black humans, that was a localization for the NA version of the game, cause they "needed black people to not be racist"

And we "needed" black NPC's. Poor Bebhinn and Manus. :(

d0003794_4813e9d673c4e.jpg 4f258c79f1fd95afa846ba8eab1abcd2.png

Our manus just looks freaking creepy as hell. :(

32zj6za.png

Not only that, isn't trying not to be racist also racist? lel. XD
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Gaea wrote: »
    Kodora wrote: »
    Be glad you can even have black humans, that was a localization for the NA version of the game, cause they "needed black people to not be racist"

And we "needed" black NPC's. Poor Bebhinn and Manus. :(

d0003794_4813e9d673c4e.jpg 4f258c79f1fd95afa846ba8eab1abcd2.png

Our manus just looks freaking creepy as hell. :(

32zj6za.png

Not only that, isn't trying not to be racist also racist? lel. XD

Its funny because the bebhinn 2nd title shows the korean version as the icon instead of the version we have.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Our Bebhinn is totally an improvement tho

Her name translates to "melodious girl" or "fair-skinned girl", depending on who you ask; unfortunately NA Bebhinn is neither, but that's okay, she's still gorgeous.

• TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    when the only "mented" black characters are the npc from a native tribe, or coco who got booted out faster then any update ever.
  • VioletBoyVioletBoy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,765
    Not only that, When doing the Herbalism skill quest Manus' original design is there too. As a dark-skinned player, I don't really care about the NPCs skin color. Unless they have a backstory of where their from, I'm ok with it. Alright back to the Elves.

Like some people said, they're living in a desert! They live there for centuries (I think) so SOME would have changes on their skintones. It's not that hard! I want them be nicely roasted marshmallows . <3
    ZeoRadiant Dawn