Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Game's become too bloated for its own good?

HawkbladeHawkblade
Mabinogi Rep: 410
in General Chat
Does anyone else think this besides me? There is so much content in this game it's crazy. While this should be a good thing in theory, at times it feels more like quantity over quality to me. I logged in recently to discover things like the Renown system, Festia (which I haven't bothered at all with), the Alban Knights Training Center, the Alban Knights squad thing, and countless other small things.

All this stuff was pretty overwhelming to me, so I can't imagine what new players would think of this game seeing all this stuff that you can do. But what bugs me the most is that the new content tends to invalidate the older content. Even with the recent dungeon revamp, Shadow Missions are still the best way to earn exp by far, so why go through the older dungeons? And I hardly ever go to Iria for anything anymore. Things just don't feel very balanced. And this isn't even getting into the huge mish-mash of themes and mythologies that the story's become.

I'm glad that the barrier to entry for this game isn't so high anymore, because to be honest the game was a bit too hard back in its early days for a lot of people, but the game just feels totally different nowadays, and not quite the same as how it was when I first started playing back in 2008. I just don't seem to be having a lot of fun with it anymore, but that could just be me since I've mastered most of the Close Combat skills and don't know what else to do aside from the mainstream quests.
Moonbird

Comments

• OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited June 18, 2017
    Theres literally anything to do cause its a sandbox game.
    Play music.
    Talk to strangers.
    Sell thing in the market channel.
    Do end game stuff (dragon raids, phantasm, sms, maybe memento)
    Of all the content this is all people usually do. There might be alot of content nobody does because of restrictions, or its just not fun/grindy.
    Honestly they should just remove the stupid passes for festia and maybe it would become fun again.

As for the older content.
    Its only really there for OLD CONTENT. Such as magic/combat skills.
    Aside from that old content drops crafting materials in certain dungeons (as far as i know for) end game equipment.
    Sawa
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
    I wonder how many of the original development staff still work on the game. You're right about old content being outdated and obsolete, seems like they forget about them. Saga II was meant to continue from Saga I but it has a completely different story. No Akule, no Millia, etc...

I bet a lot of people don't even remember the Arenas despite having to go there for part of the storyline.
    Renes Egg Minigame, Falias, Tree Purification.... People just don't use this content and it probably is adding to the overload of information for new players.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    It depends. Dungeons are quite exp heavy in all honesty, depending on one's strength, how exp is split, etc. Even though Shadow Mission spam may be more "efficient", you're much more likely to get burned out through repetition versus a single dungeon one which can reward enough EXP to over level 80 something, and besides the Cressidas and such from certain difficulties, dungeons have a great deal more drops that can be considered. Essentially, you're more likely to be invested in one dungeon one than several Hardmode conflicts.

That being said, I sometimes question why I even play this game in the first place, and still do. For me, it is primarily outfits and events. Skill ranking feels tedious once you reached a certain level of stats that you are more than viable enough to do most dungeons, with me asking "Do I really need this many more stats at this point?"

To compare to Terraria, I get the creeping feeling that whatever self imposed goals I would dedicate myself too that are left aren't terribly fulfilling versus Terraria, where I happily dedicate myself to collecting armor and such, and I just do not know why.

I like new content, and I like new events, so I guess that is why I play. Self imposed goals in Mabinogi are a bit weird for me to justify as my source of fun, because they don't feel like it.
  • BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    For older players who have done everything and are bored...the new content is great. And new players have a variety of things to do.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    I don't think this game is bloated. It's only recently we have better repeatable content. But then you look in areas like Iria, Belvest, and Avon to realize that there's a lot to this game that feels empty or abandoned.
  • XiokunXiokun
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,100
    edited June 18, 2017
    I'd rather have it loaded with stuff than be forced to PvP and do dailies and that's *it* in other MMORPGS I get bored of in a week.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Every MMO gets bloated as time goes by. It's either that or it dies.
  • kingjames488kingjames488
    Mabinogi Rep: 725
    Sometimes I feel like there's just way too much to do and a lot of it wasn't all that well thought out long-term.... but it's pretty rare that I can play a game and still be finding out new stuff months later, and I tend to get bored quickly once I've done everything.
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    jjeremy wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the original development staff still work on the game.

Would you believe "none of them?" It's part of the problem of why we can't get a lot of long-running issues fixed.

Tairiku
  • TairikuTairiku
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,910
    It feels like alot, but the variety can narrow down pretty quickly, since you start prioritizing what can make you some gold or is this worth my durability or do I even enjoy this? More old features will hopefully get revamps like Dan testing. I just don't get why it took so long for someone to sit down and decide,"Hey maybe we should fix this thing no one even hardly does anymore."
    For stuff like the dragon egg game or that scathach wave bonanza, pop a more appealing and up-to-date rewards table and balance out the scaling so the difficulty fits the new rewards. Badda-Bing Badda-Boom, something people will actually do again.
    nerrith
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Play music.
    Talk to strangers.
    Of all the content this is all people usually do. There might be alot of content nobody does because of restrictions, or its just not fun/grindy.
    Honestly they should just remove the stupid passes for festia and maybe it would become fun again.

Aside from that old content drops crafting materials in certain dungeons (as far as i know for) end game equipment.

Not sure if passes are the problem. If you consistently did your festia dailies, you'd have over 1k+ in passes by now. Seems more like a player issue.

KingEphy
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    i think i be worried if everything got so neglected its unusable....
    so far only bandit hunting is so glitchy its unplayable
    content always updated and unused content always removed (RIP coco)
    Im more worried of things that..... are constantly being used that still have glitches from creation or last patch.- the old forums had a HUGE list of glitches i feel didnt get any less fixed since new forum....

so unless its gonna get glitchy and neglected. im glad with tons of content.
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    TheDumbOne wrote: »
    content always updated and unused content always removed (RIP coco)

I never understood why they had to completely remove her after we got the Dressing Room. They could've just turned her into an NPC that repairs clothing... >:
  • dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    This is pretty much an open ended kind of rpg. You really don't have to do anything to enjoy it but that also means there are a lot of useless stuff laying around.
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Pan wrote: »
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Play music.
    Talk to strangers.

Not sure if passes are the problem. If you consistently did your festia dailies, you'd have over 1k+ in passes by now. Seems more like a player issue.

I meant it more as it if there was no limit to how many times per day you could do it. Maybe people would actually hang out there and play games more kinda like how people are always playing mafia in certain channels.
  • justshowingjustshowing
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,060
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Now if only there is more people playing the game =w=

more people are going into mmo's in groups now because of the nature of peoples personalities are... almost always horrible.

back then people didn't go in as groups but they just googled "mmo" saw mabi's ad and they downloaded randomly to try it out.

I was the latter option here. and I still can't get things done so I have little help since I get pared with horrible people who uses dragons horn in shadow missions or get screwed over in positions in garshy raid so i'll never unlock some skills. etc....
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    Unpopular opinion here, but I actually find the lack of polish and the fact that every search for that one rare item in whatever feature you're looking at ends up being a full time job for half a year to be very annoying and think that overall, there are actually too little features. It was said before, but it's really easy to narrow things down because of how annoying most of the rest is by comparison.

Like..why would I ever work for anything if better stuff is in the gacha. Even if it isn't, why would I hunt 2000 hours for it if I can farm gold or sell gacha contents to get it instantly? To a lot of features, there is an utter lack of incentive to me because in essence, everything about is made to be utterly unfun. It's all about getting that elusive 0.0001% drop instead of making the place itself fun to work through. That's why I enjoy social features like freestyle jam so much. But again, I assume a lot of people would tell me they are having fun on all of these endlessly grindy features and they're very much entitled to their own opinion. Just not my kinda thing.
    AlmostNotsuper
  • ChattiChatti
    Mabinogi Rep: 825
    edited June 19, 2017
    There is a lack in PR publicity that this game used to have, and also a lack of love for this game by the creators themselves.

Save for the few events between gachas, there's not been actual content worthy of calling the masses back once more. I came back for memento, but even that was lackluster. New dungeon is nice, looks nice, sounds nice - etc. However, it's just an optional addition. There is a lot that could be built upon, but it's that Devcat refuses to do so. There have also been previous plans, but were scrapped. Someone here mentioned SAGA, but if I remember correctly; when the alban knights' story came out, wasn't there a dev that said that saga is to be considered non-canon now? It's like the dev team became heavily disorganized, but instead of making up for this, and getting everything in a line again, it's been swept under the rug in exchange for money-funneling implementations.

There needs to be more community involvement. Good on the GMs for starting a streaming channel, but even that is a few years too late.
    Advertise the game to reach out and hit those nostalgia points. Get abandoned content back into the spotlight.
    Give people their example fantasy life back again. Make our world live again.
    TairikuAlmostNotsuper
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Just to put things in perspective, this game has been around since 2003/2004 going from the development to KR's launch, so it would almost be unheard of in an active game to not have a similar level of content considering its nature.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Nope. Just take Ur slice of the Pie and enjoy it.
    Xiokun