Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Dark Skintone Options for Elves!

Comments

• FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    edited June 28, 2017
    Think the whole stereotyping of elves overseas is what's making this whole "non-dark skinned elves" issue.

From a cultural standpoint (And this does apply to most of "modern Asia"), the whiter the skin (Have you seen how many skin whitening products they have over there? It's insane!!!), the more beautiful they are perceived as (By that definition, I'd be considered not-so-beautiful since I'm rather dark for an Asian due to the Californian sun, but hey, at least I'm not sticking out like a sore thumb :D). Since elves (And I'm not including the Dark Elves from other game lore in here because we're just focusing on your stereotypical fair-skinned elves. So no Night Elves, Dark Elves, elves that dabble in dark magic they are not supposed to, etc...) are supposed to be the epitome of beauty, artists over there try to keep their skin as light as possible with some slight varying skin tones, where as Western/US side, we incorporate more skin tones to appeal to the masses since, let's face it, we have just about every skin tone possible under the sun, from the super pale to the darkest of darks possible.

I actually wouldn't mind a slightly darker skin for one of my elves considering they live in the desert. Yeah, maybe they might have their own version of a sunscreen on, but that doesn't mean they don't tan after so much exposure to the sun, or better yet be a bit sun-burnt so the pale skin is a bit on the orange-red side. Like, I was looking at different foundation colors from a cosmetic's page and the Deep Bronze and Chestnut tones are something I'd actually like to see, even Espresso and a few shades darker, if possible.

b35e6e2e2b.jpg
    ZeoSphyra21DanievictriaFalskull
  • GiegueGiegue
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,975
    Limits on customization goes against the freedom that Mabinogi promotes to do with as you wish.
    I think part of the bigger issue is Henna clashing with skin tones but who gives a toss? I don't play elf but I'm totally in support for more skin options for them considering they have like 5.
    ZeoWolfandWolfSphyra21kapapaSherriKaiwyth
  • TheLordofNyrinTheLordofNyrin
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    Bakujio wrote: »
    It's a shame really that seeing how customizeable Mabi has become with all these hairs, wings, clothing, the only thing limited for elves is skin tone. It would be nice to not have to wear this pumpkin crown for my elf on a daily bases for a legit basic free selection a giant and human can pick. I know it's lore based and all, but even so it just shows who really gets the short stick in not only stats, but customize skin tones compared to other species.

Its not that there's a lore definition for why elves don't have dark skintones. its just they don't have any period. its not mentioned anywhere in-game lore or on the mabiwiki. So unless the lore for dark elven skintones is "error 404" there's really nothing anywhere about it other than its just not an option and isn't even mentioned as to why unlike black hair which did have a lore reason as to why it was disliked by elves b/c they believed it brought ill omens. The lore reason for dark hair does not instantly mean they didn't have black hair and it was later on added as a feature for players. The same NPC argument from earlier can be brought up as Yvona and Atrata both have jet black hair and you can find a lost elf with darker skin, that one cheer squad guy and the one elf from the samhain event all have darker skin, yet darker skintones are still not an option.
    ZeoSphyra21DanievictriaSherri
  • Angelhappy43Angelhappy43
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,925
    Dark elves should be a thing ;-;
    ZeoSphyra21SherriSaerrinKaiwyth
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    Updated the original post to add in 4th NPC who is an elf with a tan skintone we're not able to get!

d8KOMaq.jpg

I used the darkest skintone we could originally get as an elf to compare my skintone to the male Cheer Squad elf and you can see the difference there!

I also compared myself to the female Cheer Squad elf and the difference is more noticeable too.

IjL4dsh.jpg
    TheLordofNyrinSphyra21DanievictriaSherriKaiwyth
  • LuminetteLuminette
    Mabinogi Rep: 340
    I wouln't mind darker skintone on elves either! I would like to try to make Lumi look like me irl, and I have tan skin. It would be great!
    ZeoSherriSaerrin
  • SenyuniSenyuni
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,310
    I support this because dark skin should be a thing for elves

also why 6 people voted no? lol
    ZeoSherriSaerrin
  • ZeoZeo
    edited July 11, 2017
    Senyuni wrote: »

Apparently it's 7 votes for no now. I've yet to see any good reason why they're against this too beside making up some 'lore' that doesn't exist in Mabinogi...
    Sphyra21Sherri
  • PrezzixPrezzix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,290
    I would become an elf if they had darker skintones!
    ZeoSherriSaerrinKaiwyth
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Unless they plan on adding dark elves as a different race in the future, I don't see why not.
    ZeoSherrikapapa
  • ZeoZeo
    Even Rua said that we'll be getting dark skintones for the elves to use! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

xUjTQdI.png

Please make it happen, DevCat!
    SherriDANIartsKaiwyth
  • FoxieeFoxiee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    Like. I Fully support this! (This is gonna sound so racisit) But we can have black humans. Black giants. But NO Black ELVES!? sure in mith and lore they arnt for like 99.9% of it. But come on this is MABINOGI your suposed to like be able to get the look of your dreams here its a "Fantasy LIFE" :) :) :) :) <3 You have my yes <3
    ZeoSaerrin
  • KagaKaga
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,170
    edited July 25, 2017
    Senyuni wrote: »

Because trolls.

We do need dark skin for elves.
    We got black hair, now we need dark skin.
    ZeoSherri
  • TreepTreep
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,930
    I support Dark skinned elves and we also need the dark brown hair colors human have such as brown ochre and darker browns not jake from state farm weird khaki :D
    ZeoDanievictria
  • InfighterInfighter
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,125
    Well, its ironic that elves live in an arid region, yet they aren't tanned or dark skinned (as direct exposure to Sun does make skin darker) and yet Giants does have darker color skin selections and live in a cold region... Unless U/V Rays are that strong up there in Vales to even burn their skins like that lol.
    ZeoSherri
  • TheTakaTheTaka
    Mabinogi Rep: 825
    I want the dark brown human hair... :C
  • ZeoZeo
    TheTaka wrote: »
    I want the dark brown human hair... :C

Although this suggestion thread is only focusing on fighting and pushing the DevCat to actually give us dark skintone options for the elves to use... getting dark brown hair options for the elves would be nice though I really want the dark burgundy one that both humans and giants could get.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Yes! It's about time they do this already! >_<
    Zeo
  • ZeoZeo
    Just saw that we have more than 80 people voting yes and supporting the elves getting dark skintone options... good job! I'm pretty proud of what I have done so far.

And I've heard something from my friend that the most recent stream for Mabinogi relating to the giant update... someone from there stated that they forwarded few things on what the community wanted the most and one of them is basically dark skintone options for the elves. I know it's still not a guaranteed thing but it's still a small step in getting what we finally want but of course, that doesn't mean we'll stop. We will continue to push and fight until we actually get them in NA Mabinogi!
    Sphyra21PepperLimeSherri
  • MysticfaeriequeenMysticfaeriequeen
    Mabinogi Rep: 420
    edited August 23, 2017
    I find it very strange. We can give humans and giants dark skin, but not elves. I remember when black hair was unavailable for elves for a while also. Elves really need more skin variety.
This discussion has been closed.