Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Important PSA: 100% repair is (kinda) VERY GOOD!

BlortadBlortad
Mabinogi Rep: 2,490
edited July 21, 2017 in General Chat
EDIT: Before you go reading all my math, this was done before I was aware that you could reach 99% at a 97% npc by using blessings, and its exactly the same as blessings at a 98% npc, which is also just 99%. If you want a rule of thumb, (97% + blessing) > 100% > (98% + blessing), also, if you have any enchants that raise repair cost at all, 100% becomes the worst by far. This is due to the cost of plat hammers being damn close to completely even with the amount saved by using non-100% repairs. I cant believe Edern has been overcharging me this whole time! :(

So I went to post in something in a topic in suggestions, agreeing with the op's complaints that 100% repair is WAY too expensive, but then I did the math. I posted this there too, so I'll just copy the math part of what I posted there over to here. Numbers don't lie, and these ones tell quite the story.

17,428 is the 98% rate, so since its 2x for 100% that means each point at 100 costs u an extra 17,428 gold.

Their base durability is 15, so lets use 15 for this hypothetical example CRK.

Since CRK's have dura loss reduction, Lets call 5 max dura the throw away point, meaning 10 points of loss until uselessness.

At a fail rate of 2%, 2 fails in 100 points or 1 in 50, in order to lose 10 points requires, statistically, 500 points worth of repairs to reach uselessness.

If you were to break your CRK with 98% repairs across 500 points worth of repairs the total cost of 500 points worth of CRK use costs you 25mil for a new CRK and its upgrades plus 17,428 multiplied by the 500 points of repairs (8,714,000) for a total use cost of 33,714,000 to use and replace a CRK as a result of using 98% repairs only.

If you were to use 100% repairs you would take that number, subtract the cost of a new CRK and its upgrades, since you wouldn't be getting a new one, and add another 17,428 times 500 (8,714,000) for the 2x increase in repair cost making a total of 17,428,000 gold for 500 points worth of use of a CRK at 100%.

Long story short, its actually roughly twice as expensive in the long run to use 98% instead of 100% repairs because you will eventually have to replace your weapons. I dont know if this holds true with other pricey pieces of gear but considering that CRK's have among the highest repair cost in the game and are about the same price clean as other similarly popular and powerful items, I would wager that its about the same case where the increase in repair cost to prevent eventual permabreaking does not compare to the cost of getting an entirely new weapon when it DOES eventually permabreak.

Comments

• SavanteSavante
    Mabinogi Rep: 970
    I still approve of the repair renewal since now I can actually keep my r6 shuriken from dying since for some reason, every blacksmith in Uladh has started to follow the cult of Ferghus and started breaking it non-stop.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited July 21, 2017
    Savante wrote: »
    I still approve of the repair renewal since now I can actually keep my r6 shuriken from dying since for some reason, every blacksmith in Uladh has started to follow the cult of Ferghus and started breaking it non-stop.

RIP!

On another note, I'm sorry but that repair fee is pretty brutal. If I continue to use it, I won't profit anymore from my runs because of my expensive gear.
  • BlortadBlortad
    That reminds me, I didnt even attempt factor in reforges, but I think the point is clear enough as it is. If you have fancy REFORGED CRK's or like step 6 or step 7 CRK's, or, god forbid, BOTH, then you should absolutely only ever do 100% now. Redoing reforges, if you have good ones, on a clean CRK will quadruple the cost at least, and thats low balling it when you think about how many tools go into a 3 line r1 reforge with just the right stats.
  • BlortadBlortad
    edited July 21, 2017
    Gaea wrote: »

RIP!

On another note, I'm sorry but that repair fee is pretty brutal. If I continue to use it, I won't profit anymore from my runs because of my expensive gear.

Read the math dude, chug through it yourself if you're so inclined. Eventually, you will break that expensive gear of yours to the point that you will be forced to replace it, and at that point you will have spent twice what you would have if you had just stuck to 100% repair, and thats not even including reforges if you use those.

Besides, these repair fees combined with the nerf to conflict will hopefully bring the value of gold back up from the pit its in right now, though if that happens, the price of gear will drop, making these repair fees gradually more and more brutal. Going by that math, the day the cost of a new 15 dura CRK plus the combined cost of all its upgrades and reforges drops to 8mil or less will be the day 100% repairs are no longer worth the boosted cost, cause 8.7mil is what you would be paying to prevent a CRK from turning into dust, and 30mil total for a new one + upgrades is much much more then 8.7mil for doubled repair fees.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Blortad wrote: »

RIP!

Read the math dude, chug through it yourself if you're so inclined. Eventually, you will break that expensive gear of yours to the point that you will be forced to replace it, and at that point you will have spent twice what you would have if you had just stuck to 100% repair, and thats not even including reforges if you use those.

I don't think so, good luck with that theory though. You forgot to counter in platinum hammers that we get from events for free.
  • BlortadBlortad
    edited July 21, 2017

RIP!

I don't think so, good luck with that theory though. You forgot to counter in platinum hammers that we get from events for free.

Even if you double the starting durability to account for hammers, which is kind of overkill unless you BUY hammers, which defeats the point of your argument, thats only adding another 15 points to decay, which raises that 8.7mil to 21.7mil making it still roughly 10mil cheaper to go for 100% repairs then to go for 98% and replace the item when it breaks. I also think its fair to say that having also forgotten reforges more then balances that out, since getting to r1 reforges at all int he first place from clean can easily cost u 20mil+ if you dont have awesome luck, and thats putting it super low. 1% chance from r2 to r1 using fine reforges at 400k each makes from r2 to r1 alone statistically cost 40mil, 400k x 100 since 1% means 99 fails per every 1 success. Thats not even counting trying for extra lines or specific bonuses with high rolls. Theres also situations like whats happening with me and my CRK's right now, I have spent 15mil so far on red ug stones to get one of my swords all the way up to step 0 because im getting royally boned by the rng for sp upgrades.

If you want to contest my math, do it with more math. Numbers dont lie bro, you cant just say "I dont think so" and magically be right when the numbers say otherwise. Even accounting for an unrealistically high quantity of free hammers from events and an unrealistically low number of reforges to get what you want, the math is still hugely in favor of 100% repair being cheaper in the long run. Dont believe me if you dont want to I guess, but if you were to run the numbers yourself you would see Im right. Gotta hand it to nexon honestly, they really did a good job of working this out so its a huge gold sink while still being less costly overall then losing dura and replacing items.

Economically, the biggest difference here is that replacing the item means the majority of the gold spent goes to another player, meaning it stays in circulation, while with 100% repairs, the gold is destroyed since npc's dont keep inventory of gold received, meaning it is removed from circulation.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    It's a feature for the top of the line players who can get steady income.

What do you want?
  • BlortadBlortad
    edited July 21, 2017
    TNinja wrote: »
    It's a feature for the top of the line players who can get steady income.

What do you want?

Im not even quite a top of the line player, getting these CRK's, which are my first set of them ever, has caused be to become broke to the point of desperation 4 times now. Once buying each of the swords themselves and twice now on my terrible rng luck with sp upgrades. Even with that being the case, after having done this math, I will only ever use 98% when I have a repair protection pot going. My plan is to only use the CRK's when I am fighting something thats no pushover so I dont remain broke forever. For general use, sm's and MA the like, I will just use a pair of beams that I will 98% because their not very costly to replace when they break too much. Someone in the topic where I first did the math put it well, I would rather pay 35k/point on repairs then spend 20mil+ each on new swords when the ones I have break. MATH IS YOUR FRIEND!! (and I dont mean the dungeon)

To answer you directly, he probably wants 100% repairs to be free or cost less then 98% and thats why hes blatantly disregarding my math and refusing to do any of his own. Too many ppl in this game want everything instantly for free. Its like nobody even likes playing the game, their just here to win at everything forever and get that sweet boost to their ego.
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited July 21, 2017
    So I went to post in something in a topic in suggestions, agreeing with the op's complaints that 100% repair is WAY too expensive, but then I did the math. I posted this there too, so I'll just copy the math part of what I posted there over to here. Numbers don't lie, and these ones tell quite the story.

17,428 is the 98% rate, so since its 2x for 100% that means each point at 100 costs u an extra 17,428 gold.

Since CRK's have dura loss reduction, Lets call 5 max dura the throw away point, meaning 10 points of loss until uselessness.

At a fail rate of 2%, 2 fails in 100 points or 1 in 50, in order to lose 10 points requires, statistically, 500 points worth of repairs to reach uselessness.

If you were to break your CRK with 98% repairs across 500 points worth of repairs the total cost of 500 points worth of CRK use costs you 25mil for a new CRK and its upgrades plus 17,428 multiplied by the 500 points of repairs (8,714,000) for a total use cost of 33,714,000 to use and replace a CRK as a result of using 98% repairs only.

If you were to use 100% repairs you would take that number, subtract the cost of a new CRK and its upgrades, since you wouldn't be getting a new one, and add another 17,428 times 500 (8,714,000) for the 2x increase in repair cost making a total of 17,428,000 gold for 500 points worth of use of a CRK at 100%.

Long story short, its actually roughly twice as expensive in the long run to use 98% instead of 100% repairs because you will eventually have to replace your weapons. I dont know if this holds true with other pricey pieces of gear but considering that CRK's have among the highest repair cost in the game and are about the same price clean as other similarly popular and powerful items, I would wager that its about the same case where the increase in repair cost to prevent eventual permabreaking does not compare to the cost of getting an entirely new weapon when it DOES eventually permabreak.

56th and 48th floor CRK's Will bankrupt U if use it for anything else other than neccessary meta-game content liek Peaca abyss/Rabbie phantasm.

Thank god I still have liek 48 fergy hammers left in muh bank.
  • BlortadBlortad
    edited July 21, 2017
    Rhey wrote: »

56th and 48th floor CRK's Will bankrupt U if use it for anything else other than neccessary meta-game content liek Peaca abyss/Rabbie phantasm.

Ok, sure, but at that point you ahve to ask yourself something, is that extra 60ish max damage really worth what comes out to a 15x repair fee between the x5 and the x3, even at 98%? Like... look at the math on that, that turns the 8.7mil across the 500 points needed to drop 10 max dura at 98% into 130.7mil, and no, thats not a typo. I think at that point you may be financially better off repairing those spesific crk's at fergus. At fergus, 100 points would remove 10 max dura instead of 500 since 10/100 is 5x more likelt then 2/100, but its also only (100x(15x774))+25mil+40mil (if the enchants are 20mil each, no idea what they would cost to replace for making a new weapon) for 66.1mil to replace after breaking at 90% compared to that 130.7mil + 25mil+40mil to replace when they break at 98%, thats 185.7mil, but you go through 5 in the time it takes you to go through 1 at 98 (for a cost of 330mil over those same 500 points of use) , so actually it would only be cheaper at fergus if the enchants cost 5mil each or less roughly, that would lower it to 36.1mil every 100 pioints for 180.5mil from replacing them 5x as often. 261mil would be the cost at 100% repair over 500 points.

After math, with 15x repair cost from a x3 and a x5 enchant, you are, in fact, better off using 98%, unless you have superb reforges, since its another 40mil just for r2 to r1, another roughly 7-8mil from r3 to r2, and who knows how many more to get that r1 item to have the right roll and the max number of lines. That would raise the cost at 90% by 50mil each replacement times 5 replacements for an extra 250mil added to that figure, or another 50mil added to the 98% figure, but adds nothing to the 100% repair fee figure. That brings the 98 and 100 figures to within 30mil of eachother, and thats only allocating 2-3mil to get the perfect reforges, generally speaking, you are more likely to spend 20mil+ after reachign r1 to get the roll u want depending on how pickey u are making 98 and 100 pretty much the same for a 15x repair fee enchanted crk with the most epic of reforges. When both figures are the same, it comes down to a choice of time investment, and I guarantee that it will take you WAY longer to find a new weapon, a new copy of both those insanely rare enchants, and 60mil worth of reforges to make new swords then it will to just use 100% repair, since just using 100% repair doesnt take any extra time at all. Honestly, if I was loaded enough to afford repairs on 15x crk's at 98%, I would be way more then willing to pay the maddening repair costs on them at 100% then I would be to spend weeks with a party up advertising to try to buy enchants that barely even exist anymore when my unimaginably amazing weapons eventually broke.

In reality, when it comes to like 15x CRK's, doing 98% or maybe even less and just buying plat and crystal hammers when you break it is the way to go.

I should do more math for this game, this has been fun actually, and super informative.

EDIT: sry for all the typos and occasional wired grammar, this was long and dificult, and my brain can only handle so much math at once, so I really didnt feel like proof reading it past checking the numbers briefly
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Rhey wrote: »

Ok, sure, but at that point you ahve to ask yourself something, is that extra 60ish max damage really worth what comes out to a 15x repair fee between the x5 and the x3, even at 98%? Like... look at the math on that, that turns the 8.7mil across the 500 points needed to drop 10 max dura at 98% into 130.7mil, and no, thats not a typo. I think at that point you may be financially better off repairing those spesific crk's at fergus. At fergus, 100 points would remove 10 max dura instead of 500 since 10/100 is 5x more likelt then 2/100, but its also only (100x(15x774))+25mil+40mil (if the enchants are 20mil each, no idea what they would cost to replace for making a new weapon) for 66.1mil to replace after breaking at 90% compared to that 130.7mil + 25mil+40mil to replace when they break at 98%, thats 185.7mil, but you go through 5 in the time it takes you to go through 1 at 98 (for a cost of 330mil over those same 500 points of use) , so actually it would only be cheaper at fergus if the enchants cost 5mil each or less roughly, that would lower it to 36.1mil every 100 pioints for 180.5mil from replacing them 5x as often. 261mil would be the cost at 100% repair over 500 points.

After math, with 15x repair cost from a x3 and a x5 enchant, you are, in fact, better off using 98%, unless you have superb reforges, since its another 40mil just for r2 to r1, another roughly 7-8mil from r3 to r2, and who knows how many more to get that r1 item to have the right roll and the max number of lines. That would raise the cost at 90% by 50mil each replacement times 5 replacements for an extra 250mil added to that figure, or another 50mil added to the 98% figure, but adds nothing to the 100% repair fee figure. That brings the 98 and 100 figures to within 30mil of eachother, and thats only allocating 2-3mil to get the perfect reforges, generally speaking, you are more likely to spend 20mil+ after reachign r1 to get the roll u want depending on how pickey u are making 98 and 100 pretty much the same for a 15x repair fee enchanted crk with the most epic of reforges. When both figures are the same, it comes down to a choice of time investment, and I guarantee that it will take you WAY longer to find a new weapon, a new copy of both those insanely rare enchants, and 60mil worth of reforges to make new swords then it will to just use 100% repair, since just using 100% repair doesnt take any extra time at all. Honestly, if I was loaded enough to afford repairs on 15x crk's at 98%, I would be way more then willing to pay the maddening repair costs on them at 100% then I would be to spend weeks with a party up advertising to try to buy enchants that barely even exist anymore when my unimaginably amazing weapons eventually broke.

In reality, when it comes to like 15x CRK's, doing 98% or maybe even less and just buying plat and crystal hammers when you break it is the way to go.

I should do more math for this game, this has been fun actually, and super informative.

EDIT: sry for all the typos and occasional wired grammar, this was long and dificult, and my brain can only handle so much math at once, so I really didnt feel like proof reading it past checking the numbers briefly

Yes. The same reason people will buy 2 haunted accs for 400m-700m. Tho it only adds another raw 60 damage. Cuz this game is mostly multipliers so min-maxing will always be worth it if U wanna cheeze meta-game contents. :3
  • BlortadBlortad
    gonna break the reply chain, thats gettin too long, but ya, that would be the idea, the only reason to ahve a weapon like that is to, like u said, cheeze the endgame, so most ppl who have a weapon like that probably do use it only for stuff like rabbie phantasm and literally nothing else, so to go through the 500 points in the figure to break ur weapon when ur using it THAT sparingly is... basically not gonna happen ever, u can probably sustain it infinitely off of free event hammers at that point even doing under 98%
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited July 21, 2017

RIP!

Even if you double the starting durability to account for hammers, which is kind of overkill unless you BUY hammers, which defeats the point of your argument, thats only adding another 15 points to decay, which raises that 8.7mil to 21.7mil making it still roughly 10mil cheaper to go for 100% repairs then to go for 98% and replace the item when it breaks. I also think its fair to say that having also forgotten reforges more then balances that out, since getting to r1 reforges at all int he first place from clean can easily cost u 20mil+ if you dont have awesome luck, and thats putting it super low. 1% chance from r2 to r1 using fine reforges at 400k each makes from r2 to r1 alone statistically cost 40mil, 400k x 100 since 1% means 99 fails per every 1 success. Thats not even counting trying for extra lines or specific bonuses with high rolls. Theres also situations like whats happening with me and my CRK's right now, I have spent 15mil so far on red ug stones to get one of my swords all the way up to step 0 because im getting royally boned by the rng for sp upgrades.

If you want to contest my math, do it with more math. Numbers dont lie bro, you cant just say "I dont think so" and magically be right when the numbers say otherwise. Even accounting for an unrealistically high quantity of free hammers from events and an unrealistically low number of reforges to get what you want, the math is still hugely in favor of 100% repair being cheaper in the long run. Dont believe me if you dont want to I guess, but if you were to run the numbers yourself you would see Im right. Gotta hand it to nexon honestly, they really did a good job of working this out so its a huge gold sink while still being less costly overall then losing dura and replacing items.

Economically, the biggest difference here is that replacing the item means the majority of the gold spent goes to another player, meaning it stays in circulation, while with 100% repairs, the gold is destroyed since npc's dont keep inventory of gold received, meaning it is removed from circulation.

I'm not reading all that. My reply was only a couple sentences. Screw you. O_o;;;

I pay for 98% repair and it only fails once in a while, once in a while being like maybe once or twice a month. Between those times we have events giving out platinum and/or golden hammers. Also it's no skin off my back if my dura is less than perfect.

• BlortadBlortad
    edited July 21, 2017
    Screw me for doing math and to reach my CORRECT conclusion and trying to inform everyone so they can make the most financially sound decision for their specific situation huh? Here, I'll summarize for you, if you want to dispute math do one of 2 things:

1. Find some mistake in the math
    2. Use more math

You can DOUBLE that 15 dura using FREE event hammers and its STILL cheaper to go for 100%.

If you have r1 reforges too, there would not be enough FREE hammers in the world to close that gap, and if your BUYING hammers then your argument is invalid.
    Carlize
  • RicciSantorumRicciSantorum
    Mabinogi Rep: 990
    edited July 21, 2017
    I don't really see it failing that much either. I only use 98% repair or more (partner accessory). I almost always use magic. I use 1 staff all the time, and a spirit wand with Eagle Mask. I've been using this same staff since Celtic weapons were released. After upgrades, it had 25 durability. It currently has 24. I've never used hammers on it. It lost a durability point for the first time 2 or 3 months ago, and has had a repair protection pot on it once or twice- from an event. I don't use VIP and I have to repair often, but I don't let the durability get below half the max. Something in my mind hopes this helps with repairs. I also tend to not do "complete repair" at first, and repair a point at a time once or twice, then do "complete repair". Probably doesn't matter, but I've gotten used to doing it like that. My accessories lose more points and use more hammers (from events- I don't buy durability hammers) on 99% than my staff on 98%. Eagle Mask has never lost a point. Hope I don't jinx myself... With the enchants on my staff, I think 100% repair was between 44k and 49k a point.
    Crimsọn
  • BlortadBlortad
    I don't really see it failing that much either. I only use 98% repair or more (partner accessory). I almost always use magic. I use 1 staff all the time, and a spirit wand with Eagle Mask. I've been using this same staff since Celtic weapons were released. After upgrades, it had 25 durability. It currently has 24. I've never used hammers on it. It lost a durability point for the first time 2 or 3 months ago, and has had a repair protection pot on it once or twice- from an event. I don't use VIP and I have to repair often, but I don't let the durability get below half the max. Something in my mind hopes this helps with repairs. I also tend to not do "complete repair" at first, and repair a point at a time once or twice, then do "complete repair". Probably doesn't matter, but I've gotten used to doing it like that. My accessories lose more points and use more hammers (from events- I don't buy durability hammers) on 99% than my staff on 98%. Eagle Mask has never lost a point. Hope I don't jinx myself... With the enchants on my staff, I think 100% repair was between 44k and 49k a point.

The thing is that these numbers are across 500 points worth of repairs to hit the statistical probability of 2/100 fails enough to degrade teh weapon by 10 points, which, for a base dura CRK brings it down to 5 max dura. This does not mean that your experience will be exactly this, it could be better or worse, some people have complained that every npc seems to be suddenly fergus, breaking things every otehr repair while others claim an insanely low 1 break per week with 1+ repairs a day. Because of this, however, I also used the same tiem frame, 500 points of repairs, for the calculations on 100% so that its the same exact duration for both. the 8.7mil figure is what it costs to repair a CRK for 500 points at 98%, because 500 points is what it takes to fail 10 times at 98%. This means if you had an item that was at 0/500, repairing it to full at 98% would result in roughly 10 failures, probability is not fixed, but thats what 98% means for 10 failures. The 17.4mil for 100% is also 500 points of crk repairs, the 98% figure ends up being higher because after a 15 dura crk loses 10 points, you pretty much need a new one. The cost of a new crk when you include upgrades, however, is WAY more then 8.7mil, which is how much you save by doign 98% until you break off 10 points and need a new one. So if the amount you save by going with 98% until it breaks enough to need replacement is less then the cost of a new weapon plus upgrades (i.e. the cost of said replacement) then Its better to go with 100%. Its a diference between spending an extra 8.7mil over the course of 500 points for 100% or spending an extra 25mil+ after 500 points have passed and worn your weapon to a stub to replace it. Just because you have been lucky does not mean it doesnt happen. I wish 100% repairs were around to save my old step 6 dowras that were devoured by that giant in hillwen mine until they only had 4 max dura left. I have since used hammers tog et it back up to 7 I think.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    I stand before this wall in awe.
  • RicciSantorumRicciSantorum
    Mabinogi Rep: 990
    Also, I think the math is flawed in the assumption that the fail rate % and the number of times an individual has repaired a specific weapon are related, and that it's individualized in the first place. Take special upgrades for example. With those percentages, there should be a lot more successes for the individual if the math was as simple as that. I assume that the math for repairs is more complex than that "1/50 fails". I think that it's based on everyone in the game who is doing or has done repairs at that npc on that day.

And for the record, I have very bad luck in this game, so I'm lucky with repairs, I say bout time...
  • BlortadBlortad
    edited July 21, 2017
    I stand before this wall in awe.

Same here, only the wall I stand before, instead of text, is comprised of blatant refusal to even so much as look at the facts and numbers, let alone even begin to attempt to prove them wrong. Oh wait, I've probably already lost you cause the post is too long havnt I? Here, this should help.

TL;DR: Its long because its complex. Not my fault you decided to insult me instead trying to disprove my math.

http://funnypictures2.fjcdn.com/comments/Upset+with+myself+that+i+forgot+to+send+him+this+_a24c1691e8550858409dfb36d43b3ea6.jpg
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited July 21, 2017
    I don't know how about you guys, but 98% repair wasn't helping me at all for all these years. Edern managed to break my swords durability at least once or twice a week or so... You can see how RNG is messed up here and how unlucky am as well, even when i'm using Holy Water to increase chances of successful repair. I will better just go with 100% repair even if that would cost me like 100k per point. I don't care anymore. Even Simon broke my blessed fashion few times, like WTH is going on... Almost all NPC's are keep on breaking my gear like they all are darn ferghuses...