Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

How was I supposed to know this?

LawrenceFoxLawrenceFox
Mabinogi Rep: 810
in General Chat
This really isn't a question as much as an observation. So I was doing the daily tara mission: Fomor Attack and all goes well until I get to the boss and he takes zero damage.
I find out later via wiki he has 100% damage reduction and the only way to beat him is with a drain or, this is what bugs me, attacking with Rusty Longswords....
I did fight some flying rusty longswords and sure enough they dropped some. But considering they were RUSTY LONGSWORDS I didnt bother picking them up for I thought they held no value whatsoever to me, not just because im a gunslinger but because I thought id get little to no profit selling them.
So my question is: How was I supposed to know that I needed rusty longswords to beat the boss?
The quest was vague and gave no hint whatsoever with the exception that I needed to find a item to help me fight the fomors. Granted, after the I looked at the wiki it made more sense but during the mission I thought my reward was going to be an item for killing fomors.
Anyway, I'm just bugged i went through so many potions, bandages, phoenix feathers, bullets and even had to fight the last two rooms with my bare hands since my guns went to 0 durability. only to find out it was a waste of time T~T

Comments

• SollSoll
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,330
    Some skills that ignore protection can pass through, fyi.
    > shadow spirit (demigod) (also lowers protection similar to hitting the boss with the swords)
    > life drain
    >wings of rage (demigod)

i don't remember if discord's poison damage and mirage missile's poison are also effective....
    Hopefully you'll prepare yourself better next time you run something new :c
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Yeah Mabi's got some instances of that gimmick.

There's Fomor Attack and its Rusted swords like you just found out.
    Then the Kitchen Dungeon with its special cooking tools.
    There's also the new Sidhe Finnachaid dungeon thing which has the Sword of Strife in different colors to match the midboss mobs.

Though you now know the technique for the boss, you probably won't need to know about the skills that ignore his protection, but there are a few.
    But about those swords.
    They're very low dura and break after a few hits, but you still only ever need 1 for the boss.
    Even at 0 dura they still lower the boss's defenses with every hit.
    And it's not just physical hits.
    You could equip that sword in one hand, and a guard cylinder in another and use Flame Burst over and over to shave away the boss's protection.

I like using Frozen Blast on the boss (hopefully boosted by elemental wave) so I can just wail away on the boss with that rusted sword.
    Aerienna
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Trial and error.
    That's how the first people who went through it did.
    Then it's about passing along information.
    Usually the wiki has this info, especially for older stuff.
    TreesPanTheNyanCatpawcalypse[Deleted User]CarlizeAerienna
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited July 21, 2017
    I think the point of this thread is people shouldn't have to check wiki for everything...... just yet another reason people are bottle feeding off the wiki
    DanievictriaLawrenceFox
    Arjune wrote: »
    I think the point of this thread is people shouldn't have to check wiki for everything...... just yet another reason people are bottle feeding off the wiki

Well, that's how games are designed.
    You have to challenge your own wits to get things done or just follow a walkthrough.

If one has to play without outside info to help, it's really trial and error. These weren't made to be completed in one try despite people being able to. Trial and error in games is what is supposed to make it more enjoyable.
    Trees
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    Lol same thing happened to me, went through and got to the boss and couldn't remember how to fight him. Had I looked at the Wiki beforehand I probably would've been able to beat him. I actually ran it on Basic and still couldn't, I tried using my Shuriken and Magic (though now I know why neither of those things worked.) I got his HP down about halfway or so doing that and using pets, but I only had a few minutes left so I ended up quitting. Now that I know this, I might go run it again, since I need to finish both the daily and kill a Fomor for mission points...
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    on a positive note, if you're fighting the boss long enough he will usually spawn more of those rusted sword monsters so you can get rusty blades if you forgot... but I guess that doesn't help if you don't know how to kill him :c

Well now you know at least :)
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    Back then people actually looted items dropped from mobs and inspected what they were...
    Pan wrote: »
    Back then people actually looted items dropped from mobs and inspected what they were...

Back in the day, people collected small gems, turned them in for green gems, turned those in for blue gems, turned those in for red gems, turned those in for silver gems to get gold.

Since it takes 5 of each to get to the next level, one would need to collect 3,125 small gems to complete a silver gem quest! (I doubt anyone did this since it was much more likely to get all the other gems before you'd collect that many small gems, but just to exaggerate on back in the day).
    PanDanievictria
  • ROan2011ROan2011
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,470
    All you really need is loot like 2 or 3 rusty swords, smash/fh/normal hit the boss to lower it protection and then just switch back to your normal weapons. It's not so fast paced you do not have time to stand around for 10 seconds switching out weapons.
  • LawrenceFoxLawrenceFox

Pretty much. This isnt the first time a quest has been vague enough fro me to dive into wiki. And I don't mind a challenge and figuring stuff out and all but you gotta give me something to work with XD
  • LawrenceFoxLawrenceFox
    edited July 22, 2017
    on a positive note, if you're fighting the boss long enough he will usually spawn more of those rusted sword monsters so you can get rusty blades if you forgot... but I guess that doesn't help if you don't know how to kill him :c

Well now you know at least :)

And trust me I was there a long time playing possum in the corner while i looked up wiki XD
    And it was when you get his hp to 50% that he spawns em
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    edited July 22, 2017
    To be fair. By a basic gamer's logic, any weird unusal weapon dropepd in a dungeon exclusively are USUALLY a key to THAT specific DUNGEON.

Just. A basic gaming logic.

I mean, I played a few adventure games. I guess I'm just used to it.
    TheNyanCatAellNilremZairak
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,045
    hydraaaaaaaa
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited July 22, 2017
    also depends on what difficulty you chose for the mission. if you were fighting him on basic and you are a fairly strong player then it is possible to do some damage with fh and slowly beat him to death with other skills. fallen fairy pets burn also hurts him and is a good way to injure lots of bosses like him if you don't have the right weapon at the time.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Isn't wotg bypass mob protection ?

Nope, that just makes every normal shot a critical hit.

So on this boss it'd be dealing critical hits of 1 damage, if you didn't use debuffs or the Rusted Longswords on the boss.
  • kingjames488kingjames488
    Mabinogi Rep: 725
    Soll wrote: »
    Some skills that ignore protection can pass through, fyi.
    > shadow spirit (demigod) (also lowers protection similar to hitting the boss with the swords)
    > life drain
    >wings of rage (demigod)

i don't remember if discord's poison damage and mirage missile's poison are also effective....
    Hopefully you'll prepare yourself better next time you run something new :c

also sand blast, pet AOE damage, and dance of death :D
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    I think hydra works too
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited July 23, 2017
    lceCream wrote: »
    I think hydra works too

Yes. Also Discord, Smash (with swords) and Dance Of Death.
  • noobodyzxznoobodyzxz
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,990
    actually this happened to me recently too
    first i failed halfway while soloing elite fomor attack
    so i did it in hard mode i reached the boss after going through many hardships
    and because i was focused on surviving and finishing in time i forgot the rusted swords and there was around 15 min left i did my best
    darkknight+demigod+breath of ladeca+berserk then meteor then final hit
    i have a reforge that allows my spinning uppercut to reduce defense and protection but didnt work
    my intermediate magic thunder, fireball, and icespear only did 20-40 damage
    i run out of time i was only able to damage it a little bit maybe 2-3%