Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

The future of internet is in danger!

RoyRedRoyRed
Mabinogi Rep: 2,140
edited July 11, 2017 in Town Square
Alright Nexon users,listen up here,right now on the next day,you should protest for the fairness&freedom of the internet since the F.C.C(Federal Communications Commission)new chairman is starting to let the I.S.P workers to make our privacy to look bad like blocking sites,slow down the service,censoring things&all internet related stuff,the net neutrality matters to all of us&it should not be controlled by them so they can have the service for them-self's&making the small or big jobs to pay the services they need for important things or not;so now join the fight&demand Congress to make the internet fair&great for all day-everyday! So try to spread the word around you before it's too late,since entertainment of the internet is part of politics.
ImaizumiSherri

Comments

• FarseerarentaFarseerarenta
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,085
    edited July 12, 2017
    RoyRed wrote: »
    Alright Nexon users,listen up here,right now on the next day,you should protest for the fairness&freedom of the internet since the F.C.C(Federal Communications Commission)new chairman is starting to let the I.S.P workers to make our privacy to look bad like blocking sites,slow down the service,censoring things&all internet related stuff,the net neutrality matters to all of us&it should not be controlled by them so they can have the service for them-self's&making the small or big jobs to pay the services they need for important things or not;so now join the fight&demand Congress to make the internet fair&great for all day-everyday! So try to spread the word around you before it's too late,since entertainment of the internet is part of politics.

ok explain this to me. is this the PIPA SOPA thing we stopped years ago?

or is it the "Trump is selling your internet history" which turned out to be a bunch of hogwash considering it didn't actually change anything due to the bill it repealed being put up only a month before and never actually going into effect before it was removed. (Aka you can't actually buy someone's internet history. its just something that lets facebook see what you searched for on ebay to put in their advertisements.........huge difference from what people said it was)

is it legit? or is it more fake news designed to scare us into thinking its something its not.

please provide reference links as i've stopped trusting people freaking out about stuff after all the fake news stories that the media has spammed at me.

boy who cried wolf. show me the wolf as i'm not believing it otherwise <.<
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    The internet has always sold our info.
    That's how they're able to allocate ads that might have our interest.
    I've been back on the mabi forums lately, and every site I go to has mabi ads. Even when I watch stuff on various apps, mabi ads play.
    This is nothing new. We're simply going from some regulation back to no regulation. In simple terms, nothing really has changed except we'll get more spam.

It's less of a privacy issue and more of whether it's ok to allow firms to monopolize our info to boost their marketing and potentially increase their profits.
    Aykazmie
  • 암호암호
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,985
    edited July 12, 2017
    Have you tried to load Reddit or watch Netflix today? Both have limited their bandwidth in protest as a way to educate people on what will happen if the FCC removes Net Neutrality. It's basically the SOPA/PIPA thing all over again.

To provide information, Net Neutrality is basically a law that says all internet traffic must be equal and fair. No website or such can receive priority over one another. Removing it will allow ISPs to essentially "throttle" certain websites and force them to pay more to load faster, sooner, etc. Netflix can say... pay more money to Comcast to make sure that Hulu Plus or AmazonTV (whatever it's called) run slower to those viewers. These are hypothetical, but very plausible (given Comcast's track record). They can even straight up force you to pay more. Oh, you want to visit ESPN's website? Buy our Internet Sports package for an additional $5/month!

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Visit this site, read up about it, and go from there.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360

It's another SOPA. This time the FCC is trying really hard to force this one through.
  • FarseerarentaFarseerarenta
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,085
    Liberate wrote: »

It's another SOPA. This time the FCC is trying really hard to force this one through.

ah. k thanks
    암호 wrote: »
    Have you tried to load Reddit or watch Netflix today? Both have limited their bandwidth in protest as a way to educate people on what will happen if the FCC removes Net Neutrality. It's basically the SOPA/PIPA thing all over again.

To provide information, Net Neutrality is basically a law that says all internet traffic must be equal and fair. No website or such can receive priority over one another. Removing it will allow ISPs to essentially "throttle" certain websites and force them to pay more to load faster, sooner, etc. Netflix can say... pay more money to Comcast to make sure that Hulu Plus or AmazonTV (whatever it's called) run slower to those viewers. These are hypothetical, but very plausible (given Comcast's track record). They can even straight up force you to pay more. Oh, you want to visit ESPN's website? Buy our Internet Sports package for an additional $5/month!

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Visit this site, read up about it, and go from there.

thank you =)
  • 엘소드엘소드
    Mabinogi Rep: 320
    I'm trying to care, but Youtube being straight up donkey-behinds with all the playback errors makes it really difficult to join their (content provider/hosts) side.

If you use Netflix or Hulu, sorry for your loss. But smaller sites like Crunchyroll or Nico Nico will probably be unaffected as they aren't nearly as bandwith heavy nor leave as big a footprint in resource hogging.
    엘소드 wrote: »
    I'm trying to care, but Youtube being straight up donkey-behinds with all the playback errors makes it really difficult to join their (content provider/hosts) side.

If you use Netflix or Hulu, sorry for your loss. But smaller sites like Crunchyroll or Nico Nico will probably be unaffected as they aren't nearly as bandwith heavy nor leave as big a footprint in resource hogging.

Still slow at times and have playback errors on crunchy. Plus there's a high volume usage from time to time via new new app.
    But with these streaming companies also distributing their content via third parties like VRV, there could be other effects.

Large companies obviously aren't affected.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    If anything, smaller sites like Crunchyroll are the oens to BE affected.

To my understanding, what they are trying to make happen is to have some sort of "premium line" that "unlockes" certain access to certain websites. Which could be, say. Streaming services.

If what I understood about this situation is true, then sites like Crunchyrolls are unable to compete as they don't have enough cash on their hand to make themselves valuable.
  • 엘소드엘소드
    Mabinogi Rep: 320
    TNinja wrote: »

To my understanding, what they are trying to make happen is to have some sort of "premium line" that "unlockes" certain access to certain websites. Which could be, say. Streaming services.

If what I understood about this situation is true, then sites like Crunchyrolls are unable to compete as they don't have enough cash on their hand to make themselves valuable.

That's assuming that ISPs put forth the effort in going after every streaming site that has a moderate amount of visitors.
    Does Crunchy even show as a blip on ISP's 'Sites that hog all our cables' radar? Crunchy claims 20 million accounts and 1 million paid subscribers earlier this year. Now how much of those 20 million are throwaway accounts for free Premiums? Now take away the remaining legitimate accounts that exist outside the U.S., and then further reduce the ones that are in the US down to the distribution of subscribers to each ISP.

That number is a pittance compared to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    edited July 22, 2017
    Crunchyroll is to my knowledge the number 1 in paid streaming for anime. Netflix, while does also have anime, has a very slim number of those, while Crunchyroll have been steadily grasping new titles the past few months, and more are coming.

The number one streaming site of anime is probably kissanime, but that's a pirate site.

Anime fans are no small number you can weed money from. The numbers aren't as high as Netflix or Hulu in total, but. If the number is not small, it's not going to get ignored. Especialyl if it's the only source for a specific group of audience.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    11te7m.jpg
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited July 31, 2017
    If anybody is confused, I'd recommend Pyrocynical's video on the subject.
    I'd post but he swears and such. :p
    The number one streaming site of anime is probably kissanime, but that's a pirate site.

It is?

I better switch my ways of living since that was my go to site for weeb shows. :c

YAAAAAAR HAND OV'R TEH BOOTY
    Crunchyroll is to my knowledge the number 1 in paid streaming for anime. Netflix, while does also have anime, has a very slim number of those, while Crunchyroll have been steadily grasping new titles the past few months, and more are coming.

Anime fans are no small number you can weed money from. The numbers aren't as high as Netflix or Hulu in total, but. If the number is not small, it's not going to get ignored. Especialyl if it's the only source for a specific group of audience.

Crunchy started out as a pirate, but some time in between, they applied and became a legal business.
    Funimation is the only other major anime streamer in the NA market.

All other sites that stream are pirate. But often, they have more content than the legal ones because of membership/premiums and they only get the rights to a number of shows that they are able to secure the rights for.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited August 4, 2017
    Wew, an old post. Since it is active, might as well leave a comment
    The internet has always sold our info.
    That's how they're able to allocate ads that might have our interest.
    I've been back on the mabi forums lately, and every site I go to has mabi ads. Even when I watch stuff on various apps, mabi ads play.
    This is nothing new. We're simply going from some regulation back to no regulation. In simple terms, nothing really has changed except we'll get more spam.

It's less of a privacy issue and more of whether it's ok to allow firms to monopolize our info to boost their marketing and potentially increase their profits.

You can kinda fix this by blocking scripts from google-analytics and such. Almost every site has it embeded now-a-day. Which you can see using F12 in your favorite browser. That is one way they track.
    I know Amazon has their own as well, but I'm too lazy to look.

I pretty much block anything ad and tracking related I find in my windows host file and redirect the IP to google or something as to not set off "sthap using adblock!" triggers.
  • TNinjaTNinja

Crunchy started out as a pirate, but some time in between, they applied and became a legal business.

All other sites that stream are pirate. But often, they have more content than the legal ones because of membership/premiums and they only get the rights to a number of shows that they are able to secure the rights for.
    Well, my point is that anime fans arne't small enough to not earn a profit from.

While the fact that "bad business scares customers to a new business" is a good argument, I have to remind people this.

If there is nothing to compete over, there is no reason to bow to the audience.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited August 3, 2017

Anime fans are no small number you can weed money from. The numbers aren't as high as Netflix or Hulu in total, but. If the number is not small, it's not going to get ignored. Especially if it's the only source for a specific group of audience.

Well, my point is that anime fans aren't small enough to not earn a profit from.

While the fact that "bad business scares customers to a new business" is a good argument, I have to remind people this.

Wow ok
    Forum lead me to the wrong thread and I ended up replying to something in here

And am I the only one who dislikes Crunchyroll and all the other weeb show websites?
    I hate how they expect you to pay to get rid of ads.
    That is why I originally went with Kissanime, but nowadays even they have that issue
    I remember when Kissanime had no pop up ads.
    Only ads on the sides of the browser which you could hide so it wouldn't bog down your browser.
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    엘소드 wrote: »

That's assuming that ISPs put forth the effort in going after every streaming site that has a moderate amount of visitors.
    Does Crunchy even show as a blip on ISP's 'Sites that hog all our cables' radar? Crunchy claims 20 million accounts and 1 million paid subscribers earlier this year. Now how much of those 20 million are throwaway accounts for free Premiums? Now take away the remaining legitimate accounts that exist outside the U.S., and then further reduce the ones that are in the US down to the distribution of subscribers to each ISP.

That number is a pittance compared to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.

But do you really trust ISPs not to go after everything in an attempt to get their paws on every little piece of money they can get, no matter how small?
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Sherri wrote: »

Anime fans are no small number you can weed money from. The numbers aren't as high as Netflix or Hulu in total, but. If the number is not small, it's not going to get ignored. Especially if it's the only source for a specific group of audience.

Well, my point is that anime fans aren't small enough to not earn a profit from.

Wow ok
    Forum lead me to the wrong thread and I ended up replying to something in here

And am I the only one who dislikes Crunchyroll and all the other weeb show websites?
    That is why I originally went with Kissanime, but nowadays even they have that issue
    Only ads on the sides of the browser which you could hide so it wouldn't bog down your browser.

Apparently website upkeep is becoming more expensive. And well. Show licencing was never cheap to begin with, so they have even more expenses to take care of than pirate sites, but better income at least. Nothing is free, after all. And ads are paying less than it costs to keep a website up.

I mean, even our MabiWiki had a downtime earlier due to low budget.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    edited August 4, 2017
    Sherri wrote: »

I'm, not a fan of any of them myself, but It's just that I hate streaming anime. I just can't...

I'm still old fashioned and would prefer to download using torrent and watch on MPC, and not my browser. I also like having the MKV file on hand so I can make quality GIFs from them and edit them using VirtualDub and Photoshop.
    bjj1oe0.gif
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Streaming has actually dropped in quality ever since it's birth.

You remembr when you could pre-load videos on YouTube, or any site, then go offline and watch the video later on a laptop on a long car ride?

Yeah tough luck can't do that anymore.
This discussion has been closed.