Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Is Mabinogi Dead/ Quickly Dying?

AdjuaAdjua
Mabinogi Rep: 700
in General Chat
I have played mabinogi on and off for many years and this game has the potential to live on for many years more until it eventually dies. However I haven't been playing recently because I have been noticing a lack of content being added to the game. Alot of the events and new "content" seems to just be reused events or updates on grinding ( more exp events, double rainbow, more frequent rebirths, etc) . What happened to adding new skills sets or adding to previous ones? I believe the newest skills to be added were some generic buffs skills for races but that's hardly new content. I haven't even seen new upcoming content from foreign servers other than gimmicky events and spending money.

Perhaps I haven't been looking in the right places so does anyone know the current state of the game, if they will eventually add new skills sets and content such as new locations to explore?

Comments

• LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    edited August 5, 2017
    They've just released chain whips in Korea test and it will soon release along with G21 story content.

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/5518/confirmed-g21-this-winter-kr/p1
    [Deleted User]
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    Like as was said above, KR just got a new chain whip talent. When we'll get it is unknown, though a lot of people are holding out on a global release for all servers. As for new skills/places to explore, we did just get the new dungeon (albeit you have to be like cumulative level 500+ to enter), along with the dance of death skill. Plus giants just get their update, which people have been wanting for a long time. So while I agree there are a lot of reused events/too many cash shop items, there are times where they try to give us new things. Last year we got Festia and the global release of the little ghost Halloween event, so there's potential for us to get more new things this year still.
    [Deleted User]
  • PannyaPannya
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,710
    edited August 7, 2017
    Adjua wrote: »
    I haven't been playing recently because I have been noticing a lack of content being added to the game.
    -removed- there is a lot of new content that you are not able to do because you dont play the game genius lol.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]CarlizeGretaXiokunLeinei
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Just wish we had waaaaaaay less gacha content.
    badnewsbarrett[Deleted User]SherriFaithrendGakkuriaquaLeineiTheNyanCatjustshowingImaizumiYokoti
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Also it depends what server and channel you are on.
    [Deleted User]
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Hi again, thread. I think we saw each other last month, right? You look good.
    [Deleted User]BuffalosCrimsọnPolicromaXiokunTheNyanCatImaizumiYokoti
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited August 5, 2017
    "where are the updates?"
    Uh giant update a day ago.
    Phastasm a year ago
    Festia A year ago
    100% repair less than a month ago.
    Music q like 6 months ago.
    Memento like a month or two ago
    This game totally hasn't gotten any updates recently
    [Deleted User]NilremYokoti
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    edited August 5, 2017
    They did ad the Music skill Dance of Death not too long ago and a new dungeon and stat boosting accessories called Soul Stones to go with it, and Giants just got some improvements in the latest patch. There's plenty for new players to explore and experience thanks to there being years of accumulated content here...There are just a few mechanics in this game (Equipment Durability, Max Durability Loss Chance Upon Repair, Combat Power-Dependent Skill Training Requirements, Skills That Need You to Kill or Hit a Certain Amount of Enemies at the Same Time when Most Enemies DON'T Hang Out in Suitable-Sized Groups or Circle You Just Out of Range when They DO Roam in the Right-Sized Groups...) that gamers that are not made of stern enough stuff to handle the challenge or are used to newer games with slicker ways of handling the same situations may be turned off by.

As older players get their time devoured by more and more real-life responsibilities like work, romantic relationships, and raising a family, a game like this needs to continuously be attracting new, younger players with the free time to stay active in the game and community. Nexon NA doesn't seem to be doing a great job of attracting new players with the mindset to be able to enjoy such an intense game and stick around to keep things lively. If they don't step up their ad game, figure out where their best potential player/customers are, and advertise there, then the game could be in trouble. I mean, the people who started playing this game when it came to the U.S. when they were in high school and college are in their 20's and 30's now, and the MMORPG scene is more competitive than ever now. Between an aging player base with more real-life obligations and so many different MMORPG's with their own style and features around now (You have WoW-style Theme Park MMO's, Open World Sandbox MMO's, MMO's with constantly evolving worlds like Guild Wars 2, even a game that's like a hybrid of a traditional MMORPG and Minecraft!), it's no surprise that this game isn't as populated as it was in its heyday. With the right advertising strategy, though, we could get a nice infusion of new blood that will stick around for years to come.

TL;DR: Mabi's not dying, just limping.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    TNinja wrote: »
    Hi again, thread. I think we saw each other last month, right? You look good.

Careful, you might get "wrecked" with comments like that. 9dnGeIh.png
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Liberate wrote: »
    They've just released chain whips in Korea test and it will soon release along with G21 story content.

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/5518/confirmed-g21-this-winter-kr/p1

I missed my chance to defend my elf rights and people hating on Treasure Hunter. qq
  • WolfandWolfWolfandWolf
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,900
    edited August 5, 2017
    Opalthira wrote: »
    "where are the updates?"
    Uh giant update a day ago.
    Phastasm a year ago
    Festia A year ago
    100% repair less than a month ago.
    Music q like 6 months ago.
    Memento like a month or two ago
    This game totally hasn't gotten any updates recently

Don't forget Memento! :D
    Whoops! Didn't see it on the end, sorry ^ ^;
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited August 5, 2017
    The game is still lots of fun (if you're a student and still try to make friends in the game) from what I've seen.

The problem is that most people now, this late in the game's lifespan are just too old to enjoy it.

The game simply wasn't tailored to people in our age group. It's our problem, not Mabinogi's

- - - - -
    But it is undeniable that instead of every server having 1 full and 1 busy channel with shops reaching dunby gate on the secondary channel, now every channel feels empty except market channel(which is populated with players ASLEEP not actually playing the game). Still reaches full, oddly
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited August 5, 2017
    Oh. This thread.

No it's not.
  • dowiedowie
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,800
    It's just fairly stagnate. No real growth or decay. Enough to keep the game going
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    dowie wrote: »
    It's just fairly stagnate. No real growth or decay. Enough to keep the game going

Technically that would be a success especially after 10 years.
  • SapphiraMuseSapphiraMuse
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,450

Like as was said above, KR just got a new chain whip talent. When we'll get it is unknown, though a lot of people are holding out on a global release for all servers.

Erm....the new chainslash talent has been out of testing and live on KR's servers since July 20th...
  • RoodlesRoodles
    Mabinogi Rep: 740

Like as was said above, KR just got a new chain whip talent. When we'll get it is unknown, though a lot of people are holding out on a global release for all servers.

Erm....the new chainslash talent has been out of testing and live on KR's servers since July 20th...

For reference, people were hoping for a global release because they showed "Aug. 20/21" as a large ominous date in the Korean conference video, which coincides with the last two weeks of the Master Plan event. Which are "coming soon".

badnewsbarrett
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Ask again in another 10 years. Or build a time machine and come back to tell us what U saw 10 years in the future??? :*
  • dra011dra011
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,010
    edited August 5, 2017
    Ah this is very likely what i like to call mid level boredom it's where you are strong enough to do things like dungeons, hard shadow missions and MA/most of MA and some HM dungeons on your own/with a party with relative ease but can't quite do the content that is still out of your league things like Alban HM, Phantasm, Peaca Abyss Adv, Sidhe adv etc and thus are more or less just training skills and getting gear to try and do these things.
    However this can very easily get boring and samey thus it feels like there isn't really anything to do after awhile when in reality there is tons of stuff you have just done all of it so much that you have burned out on it or you get tunnel vision on grinding and getting to the point you can do the stronger content you forget the rest of the content mabi has to offer.
    That's why things like the giant update and the events going on right now don't really feel like new content to you as it doesn't offer anything "new" to take you away from the daily grind that you have most likely become burned out on.
    I call it mid level boredom but it can happen at any level really it is just most common at the mid ish level point.

for anyone wondering i am referring to I haven't been playing recently because I have been noticing a lack of content being added to the game with this.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Every time someone makes a thread about the game being on life support when they don't play it, I get a new pair of wings :V

Quality ovet quantity. The game is doing quite fine, and the updates of late have been pretty good, especially on the QoL front.