Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

H-Hello? F-forum mods?

SapphiraMuseSapphiraMuse
Mabinogi Rep: 1,450
in Town Square
The forum's been completely overrun by those spam bots again D:

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    To the Discord server we go!
  • AgentJeanAgentJean
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,775
    Are you people using the Report button at the bottom of the post?

If enough of us "Spam" the mods maybe they'll implement a solution to the spam bot problem.
  • ZarricZarric
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,510
    Might need a few more mods to keep it clean if this will continue to be a daily thing.

Also these spam bot owners are complete -insert censored word- morons. NA forum, English speaking player base for the most part spamming crap in Korean which we don't care about in the least.
  • SapphiraMuseSapphiraMuse
    AgentJean wrote: »

If enough of us "Spam" the mods maybe they'll implement a solution to the spam bot problem.

*points to the pink-ish banner at the top of the forum pages*
    That was their first solution.
  • MissFortuneMissFortune
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,530

It's not for lack of trying. It's not as easy as "lets annoy them because they're just letting it happen." Believe me, no one is 'letting' this happen.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    I would suggest ip blocking the spam bots as well as blocking email registration from known offending domains. When I did this on my forums it helped a lot so that spammers were not able to reregister and cause trouble again. This is surely annoying but does take some difficult steps to narrow down the source and stop it.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    edited August 4, 2017
    "Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience."

Who is the one approving? I refuse to believe it's a human being.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855

It's not for lack of trying. It's not as easy as "lets annoy them because they're just letting it happen." Believe me, no one is 'letting' this happen.

https://imgur.com/ccNLraU
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615

That won't help in the slightest. It'll just annoy the mods.
    They are trying. It's just that for every spammer banned, five more show up.
    If anything, there needs to be more control over moderating who joins.

Maybe real people need to go through a newly made account and then approve or disapprove the account?
    Just an idea which probably will just make the forums less appealing for real people who join.
  • RiddleTricksterRiddleTrickster
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,585
    I haven't been here for a while, did something happen to cause the spam bots? or is it due to weak forum coding? the old (easy on the eyes) forums didn't seem to have this problem.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    There should be a way to regulate the names used both in game and on the forums as these spammers (like the gold selling in game) use a sting of random characters to create their accounts each time to avoid being filtered out by keywords. Likely the spammers are from the same email domain or ip range (probably same person as well) so if you block ip and block the email domain they are regeristing with it should stop them from signing up again.
  • SapphiraMuseSapphiraMuse
    edited August 5, 2017
    Unfortunately, blocking the IP and email domain probably won't work. The spam botters can just change either or both and be right back at it.
    Buffalos
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    Blocking common words will probably cause more harm than good. I mean, we don't like our current curse filter system. So yeah.
  • AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Samuelalex wrote: »
    There should be a way to regulate the names used both in game and on the forums as these spammers (like the gold selling in game) use a sting of random characters to create their accounts each time to avoid being filtered out by keywords. Likely the spammers are from the same email domain or ip range (probably same person as well) so if you block ip and block the email domain they are regeristing with it should stop them from signing up again.

I've had to take care of bots on Vindi forums with entirely "normal" names(one even had a reference to .Hack//INFECTION), and there are legit words in English and other languages that may seem like random lettters, for example syzygy.
    MissFortune
  • lethalviruslethalvirus
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,720
    I will get banned for revealing this delicate information but the one behind the bot spam is..........

... MISSFORTUNE HERSELF AND THOSE LINKS TAKE YOU TO HER COSMETIC HAIR & MAKEUP PRODUCTS WEB SHOP
    Shoog
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited August 6, 2017
    I will get banned for revealing this delicate information but the one behind the bot spam is..........

... MISSFORTUNE HERSELF AND THOSE LINKS TAKE YOU TO HER COSMETIC HAIR & MAKEUP PRODUCTS WEB SHOP

SsNUwXl.jpg
    Wow Miss's webstore needs some serious design help. And since when could I download shampoo?
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    Spam bots on forums. Spam bots in-game. SPAM bots making SPAM at the SPAM factory assembly line.

Is there no escape?
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    Sai wrote: »
    Spam bots on forums. Spam bots in-game. SPAM bots making SPAM at the SPAM factory assembly line.

Is there no escape?

we could force the mods to actually do their job and not have people report it on discord.
  • MissFortuneMissFortune
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,530
    watercat0 wrote: »
    Sai wrote: »

Is there no escape?

we could force the mods to actually do their job and not have people report it on discord.

That's not what the reporting on discord is for. That's in case someone else sees them before we do and can alert us it's started up again so it won't be there hours between the times we check on the forums.
    GretaBuffalosAquasolAtaraxiz
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    watercat0 wrote: »

VFMs are human beings who need sleep, live outside lives, and work other jobs to make a living. They aren't staring at the forums 24/7.
    GretaSherriTheNyanCat
This discussion has been closed.