Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Advice for an elf

EvanzqEvanzq
Mabinogi Rep: 300
in Help
Im a mage elf looking for a secundary skill set in case i find a monster with mana deflector 3. At first i thought on gunner but i really didnt liked it (i get hit a lot) searching around found about mana knuckle so would fighter be a good option? or Should i start archery and be a actual elf? i have 1k to start the secundary skill set

Sorry for my bad english

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    How about Puppetry or Ninja?
  • LainyLainy
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    I am doing Ninja. Having fun with that. :)
  • GormandizeGormandize
    Mabinogi Rep: 770
    Have you ranked Melee at all? I mean, Melee should always be first skill set you rank in my opinion. Fighter gives good will, other then that I find it to be trash. (If you can't PvP...it's ez damage)
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Close Combat is a must for Humans and Giants, but when i tried that on Elves... Trash damage, squishy defense and protection... It was really painful for me :/
  • TalklaTalkla
    Mabinogi Rep: 670
    My recommendation would probably be to rank up Archery or Close Combat. Having those ranked up will also let you work on Guns/Puppetry/Ninja easier, since they scale off multiple stats.
    purpleypawcalypseTheNyanCat
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited August 10, 2017
    Close combat on elves isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but you have to work at it. 15k smashes and bashes are not out of reach, and windmill will save your life in a jam when using archery. Get a celtic hammer or axe, get a shuriken and level up ninja simultaneously. (Wish I had that option when Alexina opened...)

I usually end up recommending magic as a secondary skillset. There are so many skills feeding INT into your character that you get lots of power for less work, but it is slow and clunky. (Yes, even with reforges and enchants and whatnot.) You can do crazy damage without R1ing everything, but archery and close combat are faster. Make yourself a set of chain casting wands as soon as you can. (A tribolt isn't that expensive, but I'd assume anyone making a thread like this is probably just starting out and scrapped for cash.)
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Greta wrote: »
    Close Combat is a must for Humans and Giants, but when i tried that on Elves... Trash damage, squishy defense and protection... It was really painful for me :/

You must find devotion to properly become a melee elf.
    Pan
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    edited August 10, 2017
    Greta wrote: »

Agree on this was painful for me too

When I was doing an elf I found fighter to be pretty decent on single aggro mobs, and if they use the merlins knuckles they will have access to their advanced magic without need to change weapons so best of both worlds.
    Policroma
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    Honestly? Gunner. I know you said you didn't like it, but it'll benefit you in the long run. More hp and stats that'll benefit mage. If you can, team up with someone who cancomplement your weakness. I know a lot of stuff is forced to be solo in this game, so it's just half-assed advice in that regard, but I seriously recommend sticking to gunner regardless. In my opinion it's only beneficial to become really good at one thing first, then spread out.
  • FalskullFalskull
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,385
    Evanzq wrote: »
    Im a mage elf looking for a secundary skill set in case i find a monster with mana deflector 3. At first i thought on gunner but i really didnt liked it (i get hit a lot) searching around found about mana knuckle so would fighter be a good option? or Should i start archery and be a actual elf? i have 1k to start the secundary skill set

Sorry for my bad english

my suggestion is Archery since monsters that have lvl 3 mana deflector typically don't have lvl 3 Natural sheild, and as a Elf Main melee Combat i dont suggest unless you want more Hp to survive which can be useful or you could try Alchemy which is pretty much a off version of Magic and it is still useful on those with high defenses or auto pings.
  • EvanzqEvanzq
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    Thanks for all the comments :D. But now im more insecure to what to do xD. I think i will go for archery since i like the safety of the range
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    I've got an elf mage myself. My recommendation is that you go up to the weapon shop in Tara, buy yourself a mace (its high max damage will make up for your low Strength a little bit), and work on your basic close combat skills first (Windmill first, then Defense, Smash, Assault Slash, and Counter...and rank Blunt Mastery, Combat Mastery, and Critical Hit too on the side). After Windmill is at rank 1 and you're comfortable with the level of the other skills in question, change over to Ninja, grab yourself a shuriken, do the talent quest, and start working on Sakura Abyss.

Sakura Abyss gives the most Strength out of any skill in the game, which will help make your elf less squishy. It's a pain to rank because of the 5 minute cooldown time, but the stats you get from ranking it are well worth it. It doesn't hurt to rank Shuriken Mastery and a few other Ninja skills too. With the strength you gain from your Ninja training, your mace strikes will do much better damage.

I hope that helps, and good luck on your adventures. ^_^
  • EvilJinnEvilJinn
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,145
    edited August 10, 2017
    Another important point to add, elves are squishy period. I've found that ranking my lifeskills was a big help in the long run. Until I was tanky enough, I did archery and magic attacks (wand/shield) because of the distance and damage. You will need to do close combat eventually because some monsters kind of require it to be killed unless you have something like hydra.
  • ObsimObsim
    Mabinogi Rep: 910
    Absolutely agreed. Life skills are essential for any elf, but how I overcame the squishiness was to use a shield and use the the defence skill which got me master of shields which is a boon for defence and protection. Windmill is also very important should you ever intend to do archery, and yes indeed, Blunt weapons are the way to go at first as they give you STR and then as you do archery you can switch to axes as your armour pierce will be high.
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    Yes you should.
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    edited August 10, 2017
    If it's just to have a counter to mama reflector then archery is another good ranged option, melee for generalist reasons since a lot of the skills give core stats like hp and windmill is a life saver.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Eh everyone is going to say something different anyway. End game means having all skillsets mastered anyway, so might as well start with the ones you actually like.

I personally prefer having at least three types of combat skills on my characters because some mobs have two level 3 passives (like the brown/red/blue prison ghosts, which are hilarious to watch if you're fighting them with someone who doesn't know about their schtick).