Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why Manus Charges Gold For Healing

BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
in Story Discussion
I am often disturbed by the 90 gold fee healers charge, mainly due to it being beforehand, and the refusal of treatment without it, no matter the amount or percentage of HP I have. Essentially a mixture of "Don't you care" and "Do your job". Though this might have lore implications that I think people are avoiding. The services they are offering are not life saving, but prevention, something which is not traditionally covered without a form of prepayment or insurance. After all, Milletians are unable to die by conventional means, whereas the regular inhabitants have been shown to be susceptible to death.

One may ask, how can they tell? A lot of it can be determined from the condition of the patient, from their gait to their wounds. Many Milletians have been shown to be completely "fine" at any HP level, with no movement speed reduction pointing to the existence of debilitating wounds, among other things. Milletians are capable of healing their own HP, whereas normal people can be suggested to have a typical, human enough frame, whose injuries are real enough to cause death, while Milletians merely faint before resurrecting, alongside other abilities including rebirthing.

Therefore, the treatment is not necessary for Milletians in any sense, thus any injury that would hurt a regular inhabitant would be considerably trivial to them and their abilities. After all, if resting can restore you to tip top shape, it is usually not that bad.

Thus, Manus and the other healers have no legal obligation to provide what is essentially preventive treatment without charging first, because it is not life saving in anyway, and can be healed by the Milletians. Should they?

Don't be greedy. Be glad it is only 90 gold.
MazuiTsumukuSherriBronzebreak

Comments

• TsumukuTsumuku
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,610
    Perhaps they are charging so that they can provide a higher level of care for the normal people within Mabi. In 416 years (1 week being a year, and roughly 8 real life years of aging) I have yet to see any of the NPCs age in a noticeable way. However, in the 385 years since Tail was discovered, we still haven't been able to heal the wounded exploration members located at the healer.
    Hard to say the real reason they charge what they do, but it would be very interesting to see their earnings. A movement must be started for the release of Manus' tax returns!
    As far as the cost, it may be hard to sympathize with Milletians that step out the door and come back 30 seconds later beaten to a pulp. Really, the reason we have to pay is PVP tax.
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    I think it's more like, if you can walk in here and request to be healed, you're healthy enough to confirm that you can pay before you're healed.

It might be a different thing if someone found us unconscious and brought us in to be healed.
    Atheist42
  • CraftkidCraftkid
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    Manus must pay for the upkeep of his house, how do you think he affords all that meat he gets from Glenis every day. Glenis still pays us around 255 or more gold for that delivery, could you imagine how much Manus must be paying for that chunk of meat. We pay 90 gold to be healed, he needs at least 5 of us or more to come visit him each day just so he can afford a piece of meat to eat.

Not to mention he has to pay part time workers to collect eggs for him, also to eat. Have you noticed how big he is, if he does not eat enough he would end up thin like Simon. He has to look out for his manly Manus image. So just to get one batch of eggs and meat is already around say 1000g. Are we sure that Manus is not already in debt, he already gives his holy water away just so he can survive. Think of the things he needs, that 90g is only a small bit towards his eating alone... Manus needs to eat, feed the Manus, save the world
    GretarainLOVEIncubiAlchSherriNexuszBronzebreakKerowynAlshianBlissfulkillLialin
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I use the healers plenty of times because it's convenient.

Back in the day 90 gold per person and 180 gold per pet ( you know back when people actually treated their pets like pets) was actually a good amount of money. Back when basic incomes consisted of dungeon drops, part time jobs and fomor scrolls.

But with the amount of money have these days, I don't mind healing fees go up, if people use it at all.

There needs to be a system to get gold out of the economy.

Remember not everyone is invulnerable and not everyone has wound remedies. There's only so much dungeons that supply bandages and p feathers. So while you're at the healers healing, they recommend you buy some of their first aid stuff.

But if we worry about NPC's well-being, I think most of them are struggling with us greedy Milletians running around.
    But, I think NPCs have their own world and make their living off of each other rather than from us. Otherwise, I'd hate to be them.
    Edern probably has the highest income which is funny, Bangor is one of the poorest places since people will have to go there to repair their gear. If people repair clothes, Simon probably has a pretty high income too.

NPCs based on sales have it the worse.

NPCs selling things like books on the other hand sell a few books and are rich enough to not work anymore. But since, NPCs are technically immortal until killed, no finite amount of money lasts forever.
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695
    Actually, I'm shocked that Manus (and the other healers too) charges as little as 90 gold! Then again, if you're buying potions too, a stack of twenty 30 HP potions (a staple of the newbie player's first aid kit) costs about 2800 gold, then there's the cost of bandages, and marionette repair kits if you're doing puppetry...so, it's not like the brotha's going broke...
    Actually, I'm shocked that Manus (and the other healers too) charges as little as 90 gold! Then again, if you're buying potions too, a stack of twenty 30 HP potions (a staple of the newbie player's first aid kit) costs about 2800 gold, then there's the cost of bandages, and marionette repair kits if you're doing puppetry...so, it's not like the brotha's going broke...

But I wonder where he gets holy water from..., because he only gives gold for ptj for wool.
    Actually, where do they get the equips they give out anyways?
    Danievictria
  • DanievictriaDanievictria
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,695

But I wonder where he gets holy water from..., because he only gives gold for ptj for wool.

Obviously, he makes generous donations to the church's Building Fund to get all of that holy water. He's one step above the anointing oil prayer cloth level, donchano. ;D

As for the equips? Well, let's just say they fell off the back of a merchant's wagon...

Obviously, he makes generous donations to the church's Building Fund to get all of that holy water. He's one step above the anointing oil prayer cloth level, donchano. ;D

As for the equips? Well, let's just say they fell off the back of a merchant's wagon...

Well, I guess that's why Price doesn't have a lot of things to sell.
    DanievictriaSherri
  • HigaHiga
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    Tsumuku wrote: »
    Perhaps they are charging so that they can provide a higher level of care for the normal people within Mabi. In 416 years (1 week being a year, and roughly 8 real life years of aging) I have yet to see any of the NPCs age in a noticeable way. However, in the 385 years since Tail was discovered, we still haven't been able to heal the wounded exploration members located at the healer.
    Hard to say the real reason they charge what they do, but it would be very interesting to see their earnings. A movement must be started for the release of Manus' tax returns!
    As far as the cost, it may be hard to sympathize with Milletians that step out the door and come back 30 seconds later beaten to a pulp. Really, the reason we have to pay is PVP tax.

You have it mixed up, a week for them is a year for milletians, it's only been 8 years for them.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    You're a nigh unkillable, not to mention immortal, demigod with unlimited potential. In fact, its a race of nigh unkillable immortal beings with the ability to learn any skill and employ them as efficiently as a master that has spent a life time learning, walking into a healer shop to heal up some life force so they can immediately go back for more adventuring. The healers would have to be crazy not to charge for their services because the Millitians are never in any danger, at all.
    Going back to Manus. He always gets a large meat from Glenis per restaurant part time job.
    A large meat costs 450 gold and the reward is 150 gold. Assuming normal world transactions, Glenis charges a bit more for the sale and delivery, 1 meat will cost Manus over 600 gold, let's say 700 gold.
    At 90 gold per heal, Manus will need have to heal 8 people per chunk of meat he buys.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Now this makes me feel guilty selling stuff to him because NPCs can't say no to buying junk from us XD
    Kensamaofmari
    Alshian wrote: »
    Now this makes me feel guilty selling stuff to him because NPCs can't say no to buying junk from us XD

Doesn't stop me from selling junk to Walter. He'll have uses for em.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    This must be the slowest discussion I've seen in a while.

One page. From April. To now.
    TNinja wrote: »
    This must be the slowest discussion I've seen in a while.

One page. From April. To now.

Well, no one has been interested to talk about these discussions unfortunately.
  • ArandelLeigholdArandelLeighold
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,110
    I think the fact they charge so little makes perfect sense, really. It's all about supply and demand. The fact milletians ARE capable of healing themselves so easily otherwise makes the services of healers mostly unnecessary. It's like how you can buy a gallon of tap water at the store for around a buck. You could just get it for free from the bathroom faucet at the store, but this is a simple matter and doesn't cost a lot and saves you a few seconds.

Manus and the other healers absolutely make the bulk of their money by draining the wallets of the non immortals who seek their services. Those who can't just fall over and die and wait for the marshmallow princess to save them.

Basically when we have no other choice but to go to the healer, that's when they'll start jacking up the price.
    I think the fact they charge so little makes perfect sense, really. It's all about supply and demand. The fact milletians ARE capable of healing themselves so easily otherwise makes the services of healers mostly unnecessary. It's like how you can buy a gallon of tap water at the store for around a buck. You could just get it for free from the bathroom faucet at the store, but this is a simple matter and doesn't cost a lot and saves you a few seconds.

Manus and the other healers absolutely make the bulk of their money by draining the wallets of the non immortals who seek their services. Those who can't just fall over and die and wait for the marshmallow princess to save them.

Basically when we have no other choice but to go to the healer, that's when they'll start jacking up the price.

Healers are great for beginners who may not have enough potions, bandages, MP and STAM to heal themselves properly and using a campfire may take too long. Going to the healer early on for both players and their pets is worth it. And one should find their services useful every so often if they're hurt and pass by one.
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    Eh, with nexon giving us Pay to win and some convenient tools to not even needing to visit a healer's house made me forgot this feature Lol
    Alshian wrote: »
    Eh, with nexon giving us Pay to win and some convenient tools to not even needing to visit a healer's house made me forgot this feature Lol

You mean tons on expiring full recovery pots?
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    If you don't want to go to a healer, start training your potion making. All you need to do is find a good herb farm homestead like mine, and you'll be able to make all the HP, Stamina, Mana, and wound potions you want. Not only do you train up a skill, but you equip yourself for more fighting. The only downside is that we can't make some more advanced potions like Wound 100/300 potions (which I think we need to do especially with events giving them to us.)

But yeah, the healers are mostly not really needed these days. Honestly, the only time I ever use them is to heal my pets because I'm a stingy jerk who doesn't want to share my potions with them. They need to redo the healer system entirely, like letting healers sell stronger potions. Honestly, the healing taking 90 gold isn't really that big of a deal. 90 gold is something you can make back pretty quickly. I suppose if you're a beginning player, it might be annoying, but it doesn't take long before the healers become completely useless to you once you learn to fix yourself up. Heck, the last fishing event even gave us a ton of bandages so we could fix ourselves up with first aid. That and homesteads have fairly easy access to putting herb patches down to make your own potions to save your life when the time comes.