Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Equips for a brand spanking new player

xxdropxxxxdropxx
Mabinogi Rep: 420
in Tarlach Chat
So playing mabi again here and there with a friend from work and am back from a year plus hiatus. So much has changed! Anyways after suggestions on armor and weps for said friend for starting out that have fairly low repair cost with decent stats.

Was thinking battle swords, shield and for armor not to sure, wish i kept the 2nd wing plate i had back in the day. Also r1 blacksmith so can craft if need be. Thanks in advance tarlach community!

Comments

• SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    Heyo I'm from Mari server but thinking back on my beginner days I would recommend broadswords since those seem to have low repair cost. For upgrades, its best to check wiki because durability can suffer greatly depending which path you chose for them. My first armor was light leather mail that costs around 30k but the repairs are fairly cheap. Fully upgraded it carried me through most of the beginner quests and generations until I got Lunar Dragon set from DokiDoki which became my replacement armor due to higher stats. If you have the gold for it I would get the reforge hammer from the general shop to put the first reforge on all your equipment (they are 5k each) which might give you a boost on defense or help your skills. The effect is random though like with all other reforges.
  • xxdropxxxxdropxx
    Was browsing the wiki the past couple of days and undecided on an armor, i was using tioz back in the day that was kindly donated to me. I'll have to wiki over your suggests.

Smithed a couple of broadswords and battles earlier today. May do a kite shield or something as an option pending if said friend wants to duel or single weild. Got an avon shield, fran and am smithing dustin armor set for later on down the track.

Oh yeah i forgot about those general shop reforges! Lol been back for 3 days and even on a high tier char i feel so noob and stupid again.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    Equips are usually suggested via race. It's always great to start out with a heavy armor or light armor from Edern if possible until you can work up to an RKA.

If you're an elf, you can rank up your heavy armor as fast as possible so you can go ahead and get that over with so you'll have the stats.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
    edited August 17, 2017
    Heavy armor does cut your dex in half at higher ranks which is bad for archery and production skills. If you wish to follow either of those paths light armor is still pretty good without the penalties XD As an elf myself I favor light armor for the stat bonus but to keep my dex which is needed for archery aim and damage. Also higher dex grants a better success rate on production skills up to a certain point.

Human characters can use either heavy armor or light because they tend to focus more on strength rather than dex. If you dont need high dex heavy armor would give you better protection and defense but can cost you a good amount of gold. RKA is generally 7-8m for armor alone or you can grind adventure seals but it will take awhile (remember seals can be traded through the bank though so alts can help with the easier ones).

Cant offer much advice on giants since I rarely play on mine but the set you make with engineering looks pretty nice. Lots of grinding for materials though.

Hope you have a wonderful time in the game and that you are able to find a suitable set to fit your needs.
  • xxdropxxxxdropxx
    Thanks guys! Ended up finding an old heavy armor with reasonable repairs on my alt so ended up giving that to my friend for the time being.

Also found a fran and avon shield stashed away in a pet, so setting that aside while i smith dustin silver knight set as a surprise later on when they hit around 500 total level. X3 shouldn't take to long to get them there, those daily rbs and power leveling them on my main.
  • EdethaEdetha
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,625
    If you're a human, the equipment I reccomend:

Fomor mace, Light melka armor, Kite shield.

The mace is an unorthodox choice, but it's relatively high max damage (63) will help carry you while your strength is low. It's low balance can be compensated for with the "Good" enchant, which comes from the easiest dungeon in the game (alby normal), and the mace has a lot of upgrades to boost it's balance too. Now, it requires ducats to repair, and I recommend repairing it at 90% success rate, and just throwing it out when repairs fail too much, by that time you should be able to afford something better.