Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Elitism in PUG parties...

Comments

• SeikakazeSeikakaze
    Mabinogi Rep: 910
    Nothing more frustrating then aiming for a mob, only to have it killed before you take the shot... and then getting stuck spending ages re-targeting/cancelling the skill. :(
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited August 23, 2017
    Hm.. this all reminds me of.. No, I should spoiler that, people probably don't care.
    Basically, I'd recommend either running with a friend, solo or setting up the party so you can have more control over it, just in case somebody decides to be that little brat and be unfair to everyone else. I run things with friends, because almost everyone I meet is a total jerk. But I mostly run things solo if I don't want anybody to be a bother or drag me behind.

I sound like an edgy Kirito. I'm so sorry.
    Reminds me of the days where people would go to Lion King Castle in MapleStory and fight for a room to train in.
    Whoever would kill them faster and such. Then some people would get 'serious' and hop on their Luminous/Kaiser for skills that target many mobs at once.
    Honestly, fighting for rooms to grind was the reason why I leveled up so much.
    It got me to kill everything I could, no breaks, until one of the parties (us or them) left.

But Mabinogi is different. Monsters don't spawn within seconds of each other (at least not in SMs)
    If people KS, you can't ask them to CC (..At least not in SMs)
    There seems to be less team work in Mabi random party joining than MapleStory random party joining..
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Rhey wrote: »
    Or get into a clique. I'm solonogi most of the time so its mostly solonogi habits. Just let me know and I'll dial it down. I'd rather do less work if I can nwayz~ B)

Pretty sure most endgame players are like this.

I'd agree. Pretty much most people I know are already soloing the stuff they need. Might group if asked, but it's up to you to ask how you want us to group. XD

If the person's just being a jerk, exit the SM, remove yourself from the group, and walk away. It's not like you're stuck with them.
  • AtaraxizAtaraxiz
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,910
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    I remember when I was still noobish the only elitism I saw were parties only taking 2k+ players, now that so many people are at least 5k+ and just clearing entire waves with a single skill I can only imagine how useless lower level players must feel. Back then it wasn't a bad idea to have two people in a room since a single screw up could have you kissing the floor, now it's just "Dude go away, find your own room." or "If you don't one shot, you suck."

As people have said already keep trying, just flat out going afk isn't going to make you look better. And even if they seem like they want to solo it's still leeching if you're afk and they're doing all the work regardless if it's justified or not, you're still afk while they're fighting that's literally what leeching is.

This brings me way back to my early days when people were mean to me (a year and a half ago) just because I was new and couldn't use hotkeys effectively -3-

Like did you people not have to LEARN how it works when you just started too?

Sometimes I think people just take for granted what they have now and have trouble remembering where they came from...
  • SacredCrimsonSacredCrimson
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,255
    To lazy to read every thing so unsure if any one posted this. Just set a password if you don't want people to come in and just destroy a dungeon for you, just try to keep up and kill things if they wipe room after room just keep up.
  • ApologistApologist
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,205
    Ataraxiz wrote: »
    TheNyanCat wrote: »
    I remember when I was still noobish the only elitism I saw were parties only taking 2k+ players, now that so many people are at least 5k+ and just clearing entire waves with a single skill I can only imagine how useless lower level players must feel. Back then it wasn't a bad idea to have two people in a room since a single screw up could have you kissing the floor, now it's just "Dude go away, find your own room." or "If you don't one shot, you suck."

As people have said already keep trying, just flat out going afk isn't going to make you look better. And even if they seem like they want to solo it's still leeching if you're afk and they're doing all the work regardless if it's justified or not, you're still afk while they're fighting that's literally what leeching is.

This brings me way back to my early days when people were mean to me (a year and a half ago) just because I was new and couldn't use hotkeys effectively -3-

Like did you people not have to LEARN how it works when you just started too?

Sometimes I think people just take for granted what they have now and have trouble remembering where they came from...

I agree to an extent. Some people have higher starting platform than others. And that usually give birth to elitists. Instead of humble pies.
  • ForgetmenotForgetmenot
    Mabinogi Rep: 660
    edited August 23, 2017
    I've always cursed my own weakness. The anger and sadness I couldn't express when all the strong players one shot everything. However, when the runs were over I sat down and zoomed out looking at the night sky. I came to realize how small I was~ How small we all were. The stars twinkled and danced above as I sorted through my feelings. This was very frustrating indeed. But is made me strive to be the player I am today.

^ Someone who now one shots everything to make others upset! (On basic) <3
  • VerumVerum
    Mabinogi Rep: 355
    edited August 24, 2017
    I don't understand this post. If you provided an elite pass, you must have had some goal in mind, the usual being, complete this mission for the rewards. If the person insta clears rooms, that's a faster reward for you, how's that bad? If your goal was to slowly clear the mission because of "training" (totally vague and elite missions aren't even good for training anyway) then that should done solo, done with a premade group, or explained early on and clearly so the person knows what you're trying to do. You can't expect people to wait for you to finish the dungeon in half an hour when they can clear it in 10 minutes. Also, if the person is overpowering each room, there are still ways for you to contribute. If you are strong enough, split up and cover more ground; try and solo your own room. If you're not strong enough yet, follow the player and do convenient things like finish off weak/deadly mobs. It's always annoying when half of the mobs in the room survive a critical fireball, and if you were able to finish off the stragglers to trigger the next spawn, that's a smoother dungeon run for me. Or you could heal or keep random mobs from attacking the carry, interrupting the combo. However, what you chose to do was to willfully unequip everything and sulk in the corner like a child. Also, if you and the party member are in the same room, and they've cleared every other mob in the room while you're still struggling to kill the last one, of course they're gonna kill it for you so they can move on. Getting the last blow on a mob rarely gives anything worthwhile, and if you did enough damage, the finish goes to you anyway. Even if it was your pass, that doesn't mean that you make all the rules.
    GretaOpalthira
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    Verum wrote: »
    I don't understand this post. If you provided an elite pass, you must have had some goal in mind, the usual being, complete this mission for the rewards. If the person insta clears rooms, that's a faster reward for you, how's that bad? If your goal was to slowly clear the mission because of "training" (totally vague and elite missions aren't even good for training anyway) then that should done solo, done with a premade group, or explained early on and clearly so the person knows what you're trying to do. You can't expect people to wait for you to finish the dungeon in half an hour when they can clear it in 10 minutes. Also, if the person is overpowering each room, there are still ways for you to contribute. If you are strong enough, split up and cover more ground; try and solo your own room. If you're not strong enough yet, follow the player and do convenient things like finish off weak/deadly mobs. It's always annoying when half of the mobs in the room survive a critical fireball, and if you were able to finish off the stragglers to trigger the next spawn, that's a smoother dungeon run for me. Or you could heal or keep random mobs from attacking the carry, interrupting the combo. However, what you chose to do was to willfully unequip everything and sulk in the corner like a child. Also, if you and the party member are in the same room, and they've cleared every other mob in the room while you're still struggling to kill the last one, of course they're gonna kill it for you so they can move on. Getting the last blow on a mob rarely gives anything worthwhile, and if you did enough damage, the finish goes to you anyway. Even if it was your pass, that doesn't mean that you make all the rules.

Literally this.
    If you're kicking people or sulking in corners because someone wants to clear dungeons fast as possible.
    You're being the elitist. Telling people they aren't allowed to play a certain way.
    I'm tired of the elitist mentality, next you're gonna blacklist people that you don't like or tell others not to play with them.
    Which prevents them from playing the game with others.