Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Dan tests are unbalanced and unfair

Comments

• MarithMarith
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    Look, this is your handicap and you have to deal with it. Try a new strategy. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Pray tell, do you have any other valuable suggestions to give the 'handicapped' that won't involve us putting our accounts' securities in direct jeopardy? I'm all ears cause water cannon is curb stomping me to a point where I'm not even attempting it.

I'm just gonna guess they don't give you chain cylinder in water cannon/flame burst dans? They don't give you prod mastery in blacksmithing >.>
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Wow they don't give you Production Mastery in the BS dan? xD

Do they at least give you Harvest and Song?

And you do get Chain Cylinder in the Flame Burst dan test at least.
    I assume they don't make you go without it in the WC one.
  • MarithMarith
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    edited August 24, 2017
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    Wow they don't give you Production Mastery in the BS dan? xD

Do they at least give you Harvest and Song?

And you do get Chain Cylinder in the Flame Burst dan test at least.
    I assume they don't make you go without it in the WC one.

You're allowed harvest song, march song, and your song skill in the blacksmith test. But you don't have production mastery. That means that in the dan 3 test, your % to succeed crafting on the multitude of r3 manuals they ask you to make is 82%. And somehow, with that success rate, you can expect to see roughly 50% of your attempts be great fails.

"It just works."

All in all it really isn't that bad a test though, just gets expensive quick when they ask you to make a celtic throwing star and a tetra cylinder out the gate and you /know/ you won't be able to get a third thing made.

What gets me is the hillwen test. I got SS in my dan 1 test, but with only enough points for S in dan 2. The test tasks you with producing 3 sets of things and turning them in, you get points for how fast you turn it in (Rolls don't seem to matter.) and after you turn in the third thing the test is over instantly, with only a split-second between the "END" to quit out if you don't get the 12000 points you'd need for SS on dan 3 (if that even lets you reattempt.)

So I'm concerned that one might be tough to dan 3.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    The test *IS* unbalanced.

But I guess if this is what Korea's got we're stuck with it.

All I know is that for each "waste" day, I get another badge to use toward combo cards.
  • FableAuraFableAura
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,155
    My problem with the dan tests is that they are blanketed. The mechanics for different skills don't apply to all situations or all enemies, so all the bolt spells using the same waves of monsters seems weird. And, why do the mobs spawn automatically for combat skills but you have to waste time busting crystals for magic skills? Why give us fusion bolt if it doesn't count for bolt tests? Why is combat mastery a dan skill but magic mastery isn't?

It really seems like they just didn't think through the design of this revamp. Frankly, I'm struggling with it, a lot. After twenty attempts or so, I haven't been able to complete ice bolt, fireball, or smash. Sometimes it just feels like they gave us a square peg to try and fit in a round hole.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    The entire release is not well thought out.

Just like everything else so far.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited August 24, 2017
    Marith wrote: »
    I'm just gonna guess they don't give you chain cylinder in water cannon/flame burst dans? They don't give you prod mastery in blacksmithing >.>

You get Chain Cylinder, Flame, Water, and Sand for alchemy skills along with basic close combat (Smash, Counter, ETC). The issue is that alchemy's DPS is entirely dependant on Chain Cylinder, so I can't really 'speed run' waves with it. You're only given a cylinder as a weapon, so I can't easily use CC to kill things off quickly (it works, but it's hard and also doesn't give me exam points).
  • saintedsoulssaintedsouls
    Mabinogi Rep: 780
    On this topic Currently i think a slight rework to the points might be a good idea, seeing how you honestly need to crit way too much to get the 12k at least for pummel for dan 2-3 tests.More so because we're capped at a 30% chance to crit. Needing to crit 3/4 of our skills to get enough points in 5 minutes is kind of a pain in the butt. Sure dan 1 and parts of dan 2 for some skills is doable but some aren't due to the mob choices they've selected for the tests Take charging strike they throw 5 or so of the new gremlins at you with the same AI (so multi aggro and ping).
    Blortad
  • BlortadBlortad
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,490
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is the person that wishes rp missions never existed and complains about lagging on every forum post.
    I have under 1mb speed for internet and play this game just fine. I feel bad for everyone that isn't in north america but it can't be helped.
    This game is catered to us in North America over everyone else.

Yes, it can be helped, and yes, it should be. They could EASILY make these reasonable so that they are actually possible with anything short of perfect ping and god-like rng luck. If the EU version of Mabi was still up it would be one thing, but since they closed the EU servers and allowed EU players to start over on the NA servers (which was messed up in itself for a whole other set of reasons) anyone who would have previously played on the EU servers now can only play on ours with a good dose of unavoidable lag because the devs cant figure out what decent netcode means. And yes, I DO complain about lag often, because the NA version of this game is constantly plagued by an inexcusable amount of it and has been since its release here, which is in sharp contrast to the KR version that gets nearly none. Since they are completely unwilling to solve the lag problems resulting in everyone viewing horrid lag as being just part of the game (which is completely insane btw) they need to start treating it like its part of the game and balance things so that the tiniest shred of lag doesn't make their shiny new turd pile literally impossible for an entire portion of their players.
  • TNinjaTNinja
    edited August 24, 2017
    Icebolt and Ice Spear are pretty stupif.

They send you Ice Sprites, the very things resisting ice magic. And then you have to fight a golem, the very thing that resists all magic in general. It's worse when it's just icebolt, because you'll just provoke the golem for every shot you do.

What kind of degenerate decision and design is this?
    Pan
  • GakkuriaquaGakkuriaqua
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,870
    edited August 24, 2017
    Buffalos wrote: »
    Pan wrote: »
    Look, this is your handicap and you have to deal with it. Try a new strategy. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Pray tell, do you have any other valuable suggestions to give the 'handicapped' that won't involve us putting our accounts' securities in direct jeopardy? I'm all ears cause water cannon is curb stomping me to a point where I'm not even attempting it.

id recommend watching kr videos on how they passed it?
    my spouse in game got dan 3 flame burst a few days ago and is currently on dan 2 water cannon, he passed today's test with 13395 points o-o..

idk how much he suffered for water cannon though but he suffered a great deal for flame burst lmao
    Pan
  • BlortadBlortad
    TNinja wrote: »
    Icebolt and Ice Spear are pretty stupif.

They send you Ice Sprites, the very things resisting ice magic. And then you have to fight a golem, the very thing that resists all magic in general. It's worse when it's just icebolt, because you'll just provoke the golem for every shot you do.

What kind of degenerate decision and design is this?

Meanwhile, the mobs and objectives for flash launcher are much different then those for shooting rush because if they were the same that would just be stupid. I havnt done them yet, but I would wager its the same case with Ninja and Puppet dan skills. Notice nobody is complaining about the ninja tests either? They should have given the old skills tests as much attention as they did the tests for the newer skills but instead they probably didn't even so much as look at what the old ones were. If they did, why does smash have the same exact bonus as wm even though cooldown reset is completely useless for smash? They SHOULD have just made a diferent test for each skill regardless of how they were before because this was supposed to be a REVAMP, just like what they did with the newer skills, but no. Who cares that smash cant possibly benefit from cooldown resets, Magnum Shot requires more then half crits when the cap is 30%, and icebolt is nothing short of "get pounded into mulch by a golem" simulator, they already have tests, just leave it how it is. Whats that? This is supposed to be a revamp so we should change it so the quality of the old skills tests matches up with the quality of the new ones? Consistency is important for any good business? What is this... 'consistency' thing you speak of? I only know of 'arbitrary'.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Yeah, what are you supposed to do against the "bonus" monsters at the end of Icebolt/Lightning Bolt dan tests?

It pings to the bolt you're taking the test for, moves quickly and hits hard.
    Half the time you'd have to be doing Counterattack, Defense, or Windmill to make up for pinging the golem and having it beeline for you, so it's harder to get bonus points.

At least for Thunder and Ice Spear you can just constantly bombard it with 1 charge attacks for constant knockdown, but for Icebolt and Lightning Bolt?

Are you supposed to choose the enemies that match your element so you can rack up "use" points without killing them so quickly to stave off getting to the "bonus" golem?
    Nah....... right?
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    id recommend watching kr videos on how they passed it?
    my spouse in game got dan 3 flame burst a few days ago and is currently on dan 2 water cannon, he passed today's test with 13395 points o-o..

idk how much he suffered for water cannon though but he suffered a great deal for flame burst lmao

After a number of resets I got SS rank in the 2nd exam by 200 points. It basically requires you to use Cloud Casting before the bonus wave spawns because everything in that wave has multi aggro capacities and will throw you against the wall for the remainder of your exam. I have no idea how Dan 3 is going to work out, but I imagine all of the alchemy exams will be the same in regard to needing to cheese the bonus wave.
  • BlortadBlortad
    Just tried the test for Assault Slash, and go figure, since its a newer skill, unlike smash, it actually has a bonus that is tailored to it specifically, that it can actually use instead of just using the same one as windmill.
  • FeliceFelice
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,790
    Having skim-read most of this, and having done only the combat mastery tests, I can tell that the point of the "Boss" is being missed by almost everyone complaining about it.

the Combat Mastery Test's Boss, and I'm pretty sure all Close Combat Skill's Tests' Boss, is a Lycanthrope. This is a mob, that, unless you can kill it in one hit, you MUST Windmill it to reset its AI, or else it will "Level Up" and recover all of its health.

after my very first attempt at Combat Mastery when I tried using traditional methods of fighting the Lycanthrope, and only getting a B Rank, I learned quickly that the "Boss" of each test is a giant punching bag, designed to be a hard counter for each test, purely to farm "attack" points. Ideally, you want roughly 1:00 to 1:30 when you get to the "Boss" with any hopes of getting an S or SS rank upon completion. The goal of these tests isn't necessarily to kill all the mobs that spawn, but to prove that you know HOW to use the skills and how targets behave when hit by them.

This is what I've gather in my several attempts in the new system, when compared to my knowledge of the old one.
  • TabariTabari
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,590
    edited August 26, 2017
    I've tried the Potion Making Dan test, they give you Garbage Herbs (which no potion can be made with them), but no Mandrakes (which would be extremely useful with making the 300's potions. Plus the people you have to give these potions to show up about every 30 seconds and start walking in random directions and I end up either dropping the potion or I get the 'too far away' message. So in a lot of cases I'm trying give them the potion and they walk away and die and are too far spread out for me to attend to another who also dies and I lose 1000 points each; so I run out of time with too few points and fail.
  • AulcardAndVamiraAulcardAndVamira
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    i'm personally having issues with daning healing to dan 2 i don't get enough points for dan 2. how am i to adv when the mod just doesn't get hit enough? on top of that because i "pass" i'm unable to try again.so yes i feel some of the skills are unfair.
    Blortad
  • TNinjaTNinja
    Felice wrote: »
    Having skim-read most of this, and having done only the combat mastery tests, I can tell that the point of the "Boss" is being missed by almost everyone complaining about it.

the Combat Mastery Test's Boss, and I'm pretty sure all Close Combat Skill's Tests' Boss, is a Lycanthrope. This is a mob, that, unless you can kill it in one hit, you MUST Windmill it to reset its AI, or else it will "Level Up" and recover all of its health.

after my very first attempt at Combat Mastery when I tried using traditional methods of fighting the Lycanthrope, and only getting a B Rank, I learned quickly that the "Boss" of each test is a giant punching bag, designed to be a hard counter for each test, purely to farm "attack" points. Ideally, you want roughly 1:00 to 1:30 when you get to the "Boss" with any hopes of getting an S or SS rank upon completion. The goal of these tests isn't necessarily to kill all the mobs that spawn, but to prove that you know HOW to use the skills and how targets behave when hit by them.

This is what I've gather in my several attempts in the new system, when compared to my knowledge of the old one.

I passed a few Close Combat Tests at SS. Before reaching the boss.

This "Boss" of yours doesn't do anything to prevent you from passing, unlike other skilss' "Boss".
  • BlortadBlortad
    Felice wrote: »

Ya, I can tell you skimmed alright. Everyone complaining about the "boss" of the missions is complaining about the GOLEM at the end of the MAGIC tests, specifically lightningbolt and icebolt, not the lycanthrope from the combat tests. When you are given a golem to fight using icebolt and have to get about 1/3 of your overall points from it unless you get insane luck with crits leading up to the golem, the only thing you can to is ping it a couple times before it ruthlessly pounds you into a bloody pile of goo and end up failing the test.
This discussion has been closed.