Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Advancement Test Changes

SiodhanSiodhan
Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
edited August 19, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
Hey.

Not gonna lie, I know it's pretty lame to suggest this already, but I do not see myself essentially getting hillwen master 5+ times in a row, along with the other tedious life skills. Even once takes forever. Like..really, forever. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone other than myself either.

So..here's the idea. You get to 100% for the first dan. With that, you've proven that you're awesome enough to get your dan. After that, you just keep paying higher fees for higher dans instead of having to get 100% all over again. Not joking here, the payoff does at all check out in comparison to combat skills that are much easier to dan.

Also, as a second change: right now, the bubbles above your head while loading a skill show the old icons ,even after you've dan'ned a skill. Please make it show the dan version, because it's pretty.

Third: Add passing scores (thanks, brawl)

Fourth: Adjust difficulty of the test to the power of the skill.

IGN: Siodhan
Server: Alexina
  1. Do you agree? (Please let your reasoning known in a post below)22 votes
    1. Yes.
       91% (20 votes)
    2. No.
       9% (2 votes)

Comments

• BrawlynBrawlyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 930
    Might also be helpful to list the required scores to pass to prevent the constant guess work as to if you passed.
    Edetha
  • FableAuraFableAura
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,155
    It should also be noted that, from what I have seen and heard, the score to pass seems to be the same in each test, while the actual difficulty varies greatly (IE. Lightning bolt is extremely easy, while ice bolt is extremely difficult).

The system seems to have been a blanket without consideration for the actual mechanics of each skill. Just like the vast difference in mastering a combat skill versus a life skill, the actual test favors certain skills over others - for sure.

A renewal-renewal appears to be in order!
  • FalskullFalskull
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,385
    Siodhan wrote: »
    Hey.

Not gonna lie, I know it's pretty lame to suggest this already, but I do not see myself essentially getting hillwen master 5+ times in a row, along with the other tedious life skills. Even once takes forever. Like..really, forever. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone other than myself either.

So..here's the idea. You get to 100% for the first dan. With that, you've proven that you're awesome enough to get your dan. After that, you just keep paying higher fees for higher dans instead of having to get 100% all over again. Not joking here, the payoff does at all check out in comparison to combat skills that are much easier to dan.

Also, as a second change: right now, the bubbles above your head while loading a skill show the old icons ,even after you've dan'ned a skill. Please make it show the dan version, because it's pretty.

Third: Add passing scores (thanks, brawl)

Fourth: Adjust difficulty of the test to the power of the skill.

IGN: Siodhan
    Server: Alexina

In order to pass the exam, the player must score A rank or higher. Higher dans may require better ranks than A, though.
    The scores required to meet a certain rank differ per dan and are listed below.

stage A S SS
    Dan 1 6000 8000 10000
    Dan 2 7000 9000 11000
    Dan 3 8000 10000 12000

http://wiki.mabi.world/view/Advancement_Arena
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Yeah, but it's about displaying it during the test that would make it all the more convenient instead of having such a heavy reliance on either knowledge or wiki.
  • KattouKattou
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    Definitely agreeing with the first change
    If it was just combat skills, it wouldn't be so bad, but with a lot of Life Skills getting to 100 skill training is a nightmare to do one time, let alone three times.

Second change: Yeah, that'd be cool.

Third change: Not as important, but still would be a good addition. Could just have it show when you press the "Info" tab during the test.
    With how the score thresholds change between Dan ranks, it would be a good way to avoid having to rely on wikis.

Fourth: That one is probably a bit more controversial, and I haven't seen enough of the different tests to form a definitive opinion on this yet. Some of the tests however seem to be a lot harder (and borderline impossible by what I'm hearing from people), so some balancing sounds to be in order.

Bonus addition: Why am I only starting with with 280 stamina when I do the Dan 3 test for Sand Burst? I don't have time to kill anything for potion drops, so I have to wait for about an hour before pressing "start" for my stamina to regenerate enough.
  • MazanakiMazanaki
    Mabinogi Rep: 765
    I agree with the changes, especially the fourth one. All of the magic skills have the same exact test, but some skills are better suited for it.

The magic test is easy for fireball, but extremely difficult for lightning rod. Here are some reasons for that.

- Fireball has a large AOE and deals enough damage to one shot the enemies, whereas l-rod has a shorter, linear range. Positioning is less important for fireball, and it can clear spawns much faster. You really notice the difference when you are going up against giant sprites that can use intermediate spells, like ice spear, thunder, etc.

- Fireball can be chain-casted and still deal full damage, whereas l-rod has to be charged to one-shot.

- L-rod has a long cd, whereas fireball can be charged in less time, but you can chain-cast fireball as stated earlier.

- L-rod and fireball do the same amount of damage to the boss (golem), even though L-rod should be more powerful.

- L-rod can glitch and miss the golem, plus it does have as long a range as fireball.

Tests should be tailored for each individual skill, what it does, it's damage, and its strength and weaknesses.

I would also suggest a fifth change: different conditions for cooldown resets on spells so it is not luck based in any way. You don't always score a critical hit, and an enemy may go into deadly status instead of dying. This can dramatically alter the points you earn, and can make or break your final score, especially when testing skills with longer cool-downs and charge times, like lightning rod.
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Honestly, while we're on about that: Mag dan 3 is pretty much impossible ,let alone with my european ping. Highest I EVER got was 10k, mostly less than 6k, even with urgent shot and crash shot tricks. You load way too slowly and miss way too often. You should get points for missing with archery, seriously.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Enough with the Blinkers in Alchemy Dan! I can't get anything done. Not only do they not let you use skills, wasting your available time, but they instantly aggro when you revive again.
  • AngelsamaAngelsama
    Mabinogi Rep: 515
    edited August 26, 2017
    So I normally don't complain in the forums... But what gives with the advancement test. Firebolt is impossible and I have no lag. I am sick and tired of the game developers releasing things without testing first. If you are that low on help for this game... Some of us would take a pay cut just to help out. I offered to do it for free - I'm playing anyways... but this makes no sense. Just like last time I pointed some things out and someone saw my post on Facebook and fixed the problem (it was pretty embarrassing). It should never have to come to that... T.T. I've been playing this game for nine years and after doing game development and 3d animation I literally shake my head at a lot of stuff. I waste my time coming here to complain bc nothing is fixed in a timely matter. Do they just not care about this game anymore? "We release it and then fix it later"?... To me sounds like bad game design. Now I see why people say terrible stuff about mabi on other games... Our amazing community support (thank you siodhan for this post) and lack of admin support baffles me. I watched my hubby take other tests bc he's got all his skills at rank 1 and most of the gunner and combat are easy for dan 1 and 2. I go to do my magic and he sees me over here saying wth each time I fail so he took over and said the same thing. You're not allowed to die at all btw in order to get to 6k and you have to start off with a good start. I did that and only managed to get to 5400. Now if getting to 5400 was difficult with no lag how in the world am I going to get to 12000 with that crappy wand they give us. Take out the crystals maybe...? What sense does that make to hit crystals and get no points?! I'm like did they test this at all... I as a player should never have to ask something like that. Oh well excuse my morning rant it's just the last few days I went and attempted some things and I agree that some of these are impossible and a complete waste of time (thank you, Sherri, for your post).
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    PLEASE. I'm about to punch a damn baby seal and it's all on you. Seriously, this is just...It makes me so damn mad. Getting even past 6k points on mag 3 appears to be literally impossible, even with all lag fixes ,crash shots, 50% gambles, rng luck and everything I could muster. Words can't describe how infuriating this is.
    Angelsama
  • SherriSherri
    Alchemy is too tough with Blinkers.
    Oh wait I already said that.
    . . .
    I wanna see my score in the testing!!
  • lceCreamlceCream
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,205
    edited September 2, 2017
    PLEASE. I'm about to punch a damn baby seal and it's all on you. Seriously, this is just...It makes me so damn mad. Getting even past 6k points on mag 3 appears to be literally impossible, even with all lag fixes ,crash shots, 50% gambles, rng luck and everything I could muster. Words can't describe how infuriating this is.
    It's possible even with human mag

• SiodhanSiodhan
    edited September 2, 2017
    I know. I know a person who has it. You have to have bullcrap divine luck of cosmic proportions and a very, very, very huge wallet though. Neither of which I do, nor ever will. A test of skill shouldn't be that way in the first place.

I've been following video and textual advice on getting this thing done like a fangirl stalking a boy band or something, but none of the solutions I read worked, because it all boils down to how lucky you are.
    SherriAngelsama
  • SherriSherri
    Oh I love Rena Kim's videos :D

So lucky with those crits though.. ♥.♥
  • Daggerpaw12Daggerpaw12
    Mabinogi Rep: 705
    Advancement test point requirements need to be changed (I would recommend halfing them) for the following skills that I'm aware of:

Lance Charge

Lightning Rod

Lance charge requires you to hit 3 enemies to reset the CD, which not only is based entirely on spawning luck, but also depends on deadly status, which is pure luck, and gets you aggroed by all 3 enemies, which leads to either enemies spamming lightning bolt at you, which cancels your charge and puts it into cooldown, or enemies charging towards you which glitches out lance charge and causes it to cancel and get put into cooldown as soon as you get close to the enemy.

Lightning Rod again requires 3 kills to reset the CD, which is a major problem when enemies go into deadly. Unless you can reset the cooldown after every kill, then getting more than 9000 points will require an act of god, and you can only get 9k if you're lucky. And for some reason the developers thought it would be a good idea to give you only 3 waves of enemies and then a bunch of golems, which cannot be killed with one lightning rod, and lead to getting less kills, less damage, and less points. Even when resetting the cooldown after 3/4 of my lightning rods, I still can only get A rank on the Dan 2 test. I also don't know who thought it would be a good idea to put two giant ice sprites as a chance spawn that camp you with ice spear, forcing you to restart the test unless you get lucky and reset your CD right after killing the first one.

Any other impossible advancement tests?

• SiodhanSiodhan
    edited September 4, 2017
    Mag, as said several times. I've also heard icebolt and healing are bs, but I can't speak from experience. I can also say that doing the wm dan with elves is considerably more difficult due to the much lower multiplier we get. I haven't been able to get SS even on dan 2, I am wondering how dan 3 will go once I get around to it. Same likely goes for elf smash.
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited September 4, 2017
    I would love to see some of these changes :) but I would also feel salty about the extreme work I put in for the past 2 weeks as well...

TvFvZtq.jpg
  • RaistlanRaistlan
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    I concur on the firebolt test, I've tried a few times now and struggled severely to get to 5.6...

I didn't have too much trouble with mag, SoG still works some of the time, so I used that.
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    Mag, as said several times. I've also heard icebolt and healing are bs, but I can't speak from experience. I can also say that doing the wm dan with elves is considerably more difficult due to the much lower multiplier we get. I haven't been able to get SS even on dan 2, I am wondering how dan 3 will go once I get around to it. Same likely goes for elf smash.

I had an easier time getting dan 3 smash on an elf than on a human, and I've done both. Your stats are more or less equalized in the test, and that +30% movement speed really helps.
  • AngelsamaAngelsama
    Mabinogi Rep: 515
    I'm back.... so after much struggle.... so much struggle. I managed to get to Dan 2 firebolt. Here's the kicker you get a boost of points now at the end if you manage to get to 10k. I guess our complaints got through to them the only problem is the test is darn near impossible for Dan 3. I reranked all of my magic skills to rank 1 ... got to lvl 200 on my character twice before entering and still nothing. My hubby figured that one out btw... he went into the test and aced it with no problems since all of his skills are rank 1. He has dan 3 in so many skills now while I struggle at 1... The only one I actually wanted. I guess after magic is done I plan on conquering life skills.... That's right conquer because it took my hubby with a FULL TEAM OF PPL including me to get him Dan 3 engineering. The test on those are just insane- I watched him go with envy. Someone like me would fail that because I'm sorry I don't have impeccable memory to know what I need in order to make insanely high ranked weapons in such a timely fashion. The Dan test experience has been more of an unpleasant nightmare - I thought you play video games to enjoy them. if I wanted something impossible, then I'd get on master mode for BOTW- which I do enjoy btw. Anyways I'll be back in about a month if I can't get anything to dan 3 by then to throw in my flag of shame and defeat.