Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Name change for all characters and pets

SamuelalexSamuelalex
Mabinogi Rep: 2,350
edited August 30, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
Please add a name change coupon that can be used on all characters and all pets to give them a new name. Another game I play charges 12 dollars per name change so this could be a profit for nexon depending how many people want to rename their characters. Nexon can have a secret tab in the character profile to show what names they used previously for tracking purposes, but this information should not be displayed publically.

Name change for pets would work similar to the pet medals where the pet inventory must be empty then when you select to use the coupon it will ask you which pet to use it on. Once selected it will prompt for a new name and summon the pet again with the option to keep original colors or to get random ones. Note this suggestion has been modified to have the option to change name at the character select screen instead so that inventory does not have to be changed which may make things easier.

Name change for characters could happen in the login screen after a coupon is purchased so that you are taken to a menu and asked what name you would like to use. Similar to rebirth you would have the option to change appearance once with the features unlocked for you ie basic or advanced for prem/vip. After appearance and name is selected it will load you into the game to resume your quests ect. For this, I would suggest giving everyone a brand new friends list with the name change so they can readd the people they want to afterward. If someone tries to contact player who completed name change under their old name they would get an error that the name is incorrect and therefore the player can not be reached.

Specific Information:
- Price per coupon suggested as 12 dollars but that is based off pricing from another game with this feature already available. Price of coupons would be up to Nexon, but maybe Character Coupons could be 8 dollars and pet coupons only 5 to allow them to be affordable for the community who want to rename their characters and/or pets.
- After coupon is purchased a new option would be available on the character select screen called rename which would apply towards the currently selected character or pet. If a coupon is available it can be used to ask the person to pick a new name. If no coupon is available then it would refer the person to NX shop to purchase one in a similar way which people are redirected when they try to make a character or pet without the correct card already purchased and available to them.
- Similar to when pets are renamed former name would not be able to be used again once it has been changed.
- Suggested that once name change is complete players are given the option to change their character/pet appearance once using either basic features or advanced (if premium/vip is active) to give a fresh new look to the character/pet if desired.
- Suggested that friendslist is completely cleared upon rename of character allowing the person to readd people again after the name change is complete to prevent confusion. In this case it is suggested people take a screenshot of their friendslist before doing rename to add everyone back.
- Suggested once name change is complete attempting to contact the player under original name would result in an error "the current player can not be reached. Please check the name and try again." I believe there is a similar message if you try to mail someone but misspell the name (if the character doesn't exist already in the system).
- Suggested that players have a tab or option in the character menu in game to view former names of their friends (Suggested by Leinei) and adding to this maybe have a toggle to decide if this is displayed publically (by all) or privately (only for game admins).
- Suggested whether or not to have a limit to the number of times a person can rename the same character or pet to prevent scamming.

Please provide your feedback and ideas below and I will update this as often as I can to add any new suggestions posted below.
YoridenRobykyun

Comments

• SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Lets hope this time it gets implemented XD I would like to rename some of my pets to specify what the do like shops or production related. I tried making labels and groups but these do not seem to save whenever I log out.
  • lidiyalidiya
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,325
    Won't lie I wouldn't mind changing my main characters name to a more gender neutral one so I could RB male and not look weird... When I made it (close to when this came to the US) I had no idea you could change genders on RB. Only problem is now most names are taken prolly by people that haven't logged on in 5 years.
    Sherri
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    I hope this can be added to the NX shop permanently so that we can rename our characters and pets whenever we want. If the desired name is already taken then a new one can be picked. I'd suggest like how they do with pets now that old names can not be used again by the same person or anyone else.

I also thought of something to add to this. If this gets implemented can we also have a way to change our names on the forums? I think the easiest thing would be to let people rename their forum account either by paying nx or through some verification method (such as email reset or sending a code to a verified phone number). Rename could be only available once per account to keep things relatively simple. Maybe only allow this for accounts of a certain age as well to avoid spammers taking advantage of it.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Bumping this up so hopefully it will be considered as a suggestion for a future addition to the game. Many other games have this as an option by paying in game currancy or real life money so it would be great to have here. After all some people may want to create better names for their characters than their original one. It would also be beneficial to rename pets for their function since you can have multiples of the same type and it goes confusing who has what XD labels do not transfer from one device to the next and sometimes can be mismatched over time adding to the confusion. Please let us rename our characters and pets.
  • YoridenYoriden
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,910
    Adding support to this- just because I know I named a pet or two recently that I'm not sure that I like their name so much, and it would be nice to have the option to change it later if I ever decide that yeah, I really do regret naming my broom Overswept.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    I have a few playful names I want to keep, but most were made because names were taken that I wanted and I couldnt think of anything else at the time. I also had a particular family name I used a long time ago that no longer exists so I want to rename my characters for the new family I belong to XD Ive heard this is available for Korea so I wonder what the delay is for it to be released for NA. It seems like it takes 6 months or so before we get something they have which is a bummer.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Anyone else want to change their character names and pet names? Please post here to show your support so we can get this feature added soon ^^
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Eh I guess. Not one of my biggest concerns but it would be interesting. I always think long and hard about what to name pets but I'd like the chance to rename my other characters.

Though I believe there is a way to change your forum name on here..
    Yoriden wrote: »
    Adding support to this- just because I know I named a pet or two recently that I'm not sure that I like their name so much, and it would be nice to have the option to change it later if I ever decide that yeah, I really do regret naming my broom Overswept.

Awh that is adorable. :D
    I named my beginner eagle Sonicdive.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    Sorry for the late reply here it got lost in the other threads. Thank you all for your support. I don't know if this will be added, but i hope it will be an option soon. Would anyone else like to be able to rename their pets and characters?
  • fatwhalefatwhale
    Mabinogi Rep: 700
    This idea is pretty good.. Man, I regret letting my boyfriend helping me name my character lol. But anyways, yeah we totally need a name change coupon if this were to ever happen
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    I'm all for a name change coupon for those who want a change, but perhaps create a tag in the character screen that says "formerly known as [previous name]" so as to avoid any potential scam behavior. Also 12 dollars seems like a lot for the price of the item.
  • SamuelalexSamuelalex
    edited August 30, 2017
    Thank you both for your support ^^ I know a few of my characters are named after anime series that I no longer watch so it might be cool to rename them to something more current or maybe make up new names entirely. I have a lot of pets and characters though so might get pricey to rename them. Not sure what fair price would be for something like this but maybe characters can be something like 8 dollars then pets are only 5 dollars each since pets are often less used than characters (besides storage and aoe attacks)? Pricing would be up to Nexon, but I hope it wouldn't be too expensive so people who want to make new names are able to do so.

@Leinei I will add your suggestion to the first post so hopefully, it can be considered as well. I was thinking something similar to have so a way of identifying who people are that might change names without letting people know. Maybe have the option to have this visible publically or only for admins of the game to view kind of like a toggle switch in settings?

I'm wondering if there should be a limit to the number of times people can change their name? I know another game has it set to 3 name changes by purchasing coupons, but after that, they are charged slightly more for a coupon for any additional name changes that want to be made. Something like that might help reduce scammers from frequently switching names to avoid being caught.

I thank everyone for their support and hopefully more come to add in their comments and ideas as well. First post has been updated.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I'm surprised that Nexon still didn't make Name Change a thing. Most games has such things, free or not, but it exists. Why can't they just add it..? I would totally change few names i have on characters.
  • NonixelNonixel
    Mabinogi Rep: 300
    Greta wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Nexon still didn't make Name Change a thing. Most games has such things, free or not, but it exists. Why can't they just add it..? I would totally change few names i have on characters.

Hasn't been implemented yet 'cause they're too busy spitting out gachapons. I whole-heartedly do not believe there is any excuse as to why this has yet to be implemented after an entire decade since Mabi NA's release. What gives?