Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Freestyle Jam killed my motivation for Jams

KimCheolsuKimCheolsu
Mabinogi Rep: 1,625
edited October 1, 2017 in General Chat
So, I don't have my old jam buddies anymore. They don't feel like playing.
I tried jamming with random people and when I asked for the jam session action, they keep insisting on freestyle jam..aand they like it because it gives exp. To me, it's like people playing the same scroll with different instruments. 100% of the people I tried jamming with preferred freestyle jam. To be honest, I don't get what's so good about it.

You know that thread where I was so excited about doing jams when I came back to Mabinogi? Of course not. Here you go:
http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/3975/overused-but-yes-im-back-returning-player

Here's one of the jams from that thread:
Jam 7

Well that motivation is dead now. I'm dead. Bye.

Edit: Okay wait no. I didn't explain that so well. The summary is: I LOVE JAM SESSIONS USING "Jam Session" action, BUT EVERYBODY'S LIKE "Why don't you just use Freestyle Jam", and I'm like "BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE EVERYONE IS PLAYING THE SAME SCROLL.
I'm frustrated that this keeps happening, and even though I just got my long awaited r1 composing, there's no one around that loves jamming the old way. And so, this is draining my motivation to play music which I was so excited for. So I feel dead. *dead eyes*

Comments

• GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited October 1, 2017
    Because it's simple, it's fast and also some people like that ASDW mini-game. If you successfully do 5 combos you get 1 hour buff which decreases your durability loss on items which you use, so it's very handy.

Also the music can come out really nice too if people have a good ear and know what instruments can suit for music that others are playing.

I love Freestyle Jam. It gave some towns more life and it is also a good way to find some friends.
    Mey
  • KimCheolsuKimCheolsu
    That's true. It does sound good. Or, I mean, can sound good.

But I have to say that each person with their own instrument and their own part in the song to play, sounds better.

The buffs do sound nice, but I personally play because it's fun and sounds good, and not because of any benefits.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Whatcha mean it sounds like everyone is playing the same scroll?
    If you hand out the separate track scrolls to the others, as if it were a proper jam, it should sound just about the same as a traditional Jam Session.

Unless all the players joining in don't have a scroll of their own, in which case yeah they'll just copy the Freestyle Jam's creator's scroll.
    Freestyle Jam's also nice in that the song is always played correctly. I really wish they had changed Jam Sessions to always be a perfect performance, but it's still random.

Jam Session's got its own perks, like Pure Music Mode which blocks out the noise from sound effects, BGM, and bards outside of the party, but it's got to compete with Freestyle Jam's convenience and ease of use.
    GretaJJ[Deleted User]PolicromapawcalypseMey
  • KimCheolsuKimCheolsu
    edited October 1, 2017
    I suddenly regret posting this thread on impulse. *cries* (my feelings on it are real though)

Yes Freestyle Jam is nice in how it brings people together more. ... However it killed my motivation for jam sessions because everyone loves it more than the old way, so I bear a small bit of hatred for it now... T_T
  • KimCheolsuKimCheolsu
    edited October 1, 2017
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    If you hand out the separate track scrolls to the others, as if it were a proper jam, it should sound just about the same as a traditional Jam Session.

Unless all the players joining in don't have a scroll of their own, in which case yeah they'll just copy the Freestyle Jam's creator's scroll.
    Freestyle Jam's also nice in that the song is always played correctly. I really wish they had changed Jam Sessions to always be a perfect performance, but it's still random.

Jam Session's got its own perks, like Pure Music Mode which blocks out the noise from sound effects, BGM, and bards outside of the party, but it's got to compete with Freestyle Jam's convenience and ease of use.

Oh, I didn't know. I don't know much about Freestyle Jam at all, other from the few that I've heard people play/I've joined in.

Pffffffffffft. I still like Jam Session action more! *flails* *runs away* Q_Q

I actually don't wish that the music always played perfectly. I mean playing music in the first place is supposed to either be played correctly, perfectly(critical), or wrong. I like that it's by chance.

Also your name reminds me of Ieyasu. Ya know, like Tokugawa Ieyasu and Oda Nobunaga.
    Iyasenu
    Iyasenu
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited October 1, 2017
    people who don't have Hamelin's tuners tend to wanna do it because they can play perfect every time.... not everyone enjoys starting, stopping, and restarting the same song 50 times because Charlie No-tuner keeps starting off-key. Also like someone else stated, as long as everyone equips the qualifying scrolls, it still works like a normal jam session... with the added effect of allowing other people to hop in with more instruments that tailor to fit the song. if you don't want anyone else jumping in then you can still do it the old way, but anyone who doesn't have a Hamelin's tuner might be annoyed about it. No one but a masochist actually likes restarting the song a ton of times to play it right --especially when there's now a feature that allows it to be 100% perfect every time. that's just extra suffering
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
    True, but the original Jam Session let's you put out a donation box. You can make literally thousands of gold coins from it. Plus the end of this video kind of reminds me of The Truman Show.

• TNinjaTNinja
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,265
    My only issue with Freestyle Jam is that the music is always dusturbed by the sound effects of either failures or successes.
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    Yeah....they should of just did without it....it's already bad enough when you blow up or shrink due to failing anyways.
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,765
    TNinja wrote: »
    My only issue with Freestyle Jam is that the music is always dusturbed by the sound effects of either failures or successes.

that sound effect can probably be muted by turning off sound effects in the game settings.
    asnscorpio wrote: »
    Yeah....they should of just did without it....it's already bad enough when you blow up or shrink due to failing anyways.

the shrinking or growing only looks really bad with the piano or harp mostly. it is good encouragement to not mess up the combos. personally I think free style jam makes jamming easier and more fun in a lot of ways. the normal jam session action was improved with the Music Q update so if you want to jam the old way go ahead. just have to find a group that wants to that way which you might have more luck doing if you create a jam session party in a public area like Tir or Dunbarton.
    JJ
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Devcat never bothered to make jam session better, so it's death was inevitable. There's just not enough people who want to use effort to make a band or orchestra to perform fine music with jam session when you add something that makes it simple.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890

TIL I can grief other people's Freestyle Jams by joining in with my nyancat scroll
    [Deleted User]
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Eralea wrote: »

TIL I can grief other people's Freestyle Jams by joining in with my nyancat scroll

d326fe0a06.png
    [Deleted User]
  • OpalthiraOpalthira
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited October 2, 2017
    Sad to see that the old jams cant compete with the new freestyle one.
    If anything the only way you are gonna jam is with people genuinely interested in music and want to do so.
    Cause freestyle just makes so much easy to play and is faster.
    RIP the features that they added to regular jams never to be used.

Also if people don't press they're start button the songs still runs without them. So if you wanna play with anyone who's lagging or having a bad day.
    You're gonna miss half the song.
    Liyeta wrote: »
    Devcat never bothered to make jam session better, so it's death was inevitable. There's just not enough people who want to use effort to make a band or orchestra to perform fine music with jam session when you add something that makes it simple.

They did made it better with 16 people party, light thingy beside name, and mute button.
    It's a good/ well thought out idea, but not as simple as freestyle jam. Atleast raid people love using music jam party.

Did they ever combine music jam with singing?
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    I've gotten to the point where I just turned my sound off. (I never thought It'd come to that, but I did...) I got sick of blacklisting countless people everyday for looped default music spam for training. There was more of that than the bots.
    It has been so long since I've heard anyone even try to use the music system correctly that I gave up.

Which is sad, because it was my very most favorite thing in Mabinogi and I found so much joy in it.

I had some good times, even tho no one ever listened to them because they had muted music already.

If someone were to ask me to join in their session, I think I would. I have not really used Freestyle. I think the last time was for a quest? Event? I don't remember.
    [Deleted User]
    Sai wrote: »
    I've gotten to the point where I just turned my sound off. (I never thought It'd come to that, but I did...) I got sick of blacklisting countless people everyday for looped default music spam for training. There was more of that than the bots.
    It has been so long since I've heard anyone even try to use the music system correctly that I gave up.

Which is sad, because it was my very most favorite thing in Mabinogi and I found so much joy in it.

I had some good times, even tho no one ever listened to them because they had muted music already.

If someone were to ask me to join in their session, I think I would. I have not really used Freestyle. I think the last time was for a quest? Event? I don't remember.

People don't use freestyle for the purpose of jamming, only to get the buffs for lvling up renown and other bonuses.
    Default music training spam is annoying, even though I've done it a few times and forgot to move to an isolated area. I'll never do that in an open public area again.
  • KimCheolsuKimCheolsu
    edited October 2, 2017
    Sai wrote: »

I haven't even finished reading your post or finished listening to the song you posted, I mean video, but it sounds soooooo good. *cries* *slams fists into ground continuously*
    [Deleted User]
  • KimCheolsuKimCheolsu
    edited October 2, 2017
    Post another jam that you did Saiiiiiiiiii-san.

Edit: Too late, I'm already watching your other songs on YouTube. Although I'd still want you to post another, since other people will see it too. And it's so good.
    [Deleted User]