Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Does this even work?

VeylaineVeylaine
Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
edited October 14, 2017 in General Chat
cetrXjc.png( basically people trying buy things at a very unrealistic low price through mail )
I really want to understand why people think this works, has this worked for anyone? lol
ps im on alexina not sure if same thing goes on other servers but would like to know about people from other servers experience from it.

DISCLAIMER: im not complaining per say just really curious lol

Comments

• LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    Astrologer F goes for 5m+ but someone offered me 3m and 200 glittering dye bottles that may, may not expire in 5 minutes. /: Some times you can't afford things and sometimes the item is too high but welp dont low ball at least. I think I seen someone want 5m for Magic Academy F Senior Robe the day it came out and it sells for 15m+...the day it came out. This is on Tarlach, too.
    Veylaine
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    You usually will see the same players lowballing in the party ad lol I avoid these people like the plague
    badnewsbarrettGretaClovis15
  • LeiliciaLeilicia
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,220
    Honestly, after rereading the op I realized those were mail. I have yet to see anything being mailed that's higher than 2m on Tarlach. Is it even possible to mail and request something that high?
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Leilicia wrote: »
    Honestly, after rereading the op I realized those were mail. I have yet to see anything being mailed that's higher than 2m on Tarlach. Is it even possible to mail and request something that high?

Mail limit is 10mil innit?

A beggar was using the Altruism alert system to demand a free FB9 so I mailed it to him for that much.
    He was soooo mad lmao
    badnewsbarrettLeiliciaGretaBlissfulkillKttyVeylainepawcalypseSherriTheNyanCat
  • badnewsbarrettbadnewsbarrett
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,890
    This reminds me of a time on Tarlach where someone was advertising to both buy and sell new wings that had just come out. I noted asking for a price to buy a pair and he wanted me to pay like 10m, but was trying to buy the same wings for about 3m off other players. I hate people like that.

But back to the topic on hand: it makes me wonder if people are low-balling through mail because it's "easier," in a sense, than directly trading, because there's no back-and-forth messaging and trying to figure out when and where to meet, you just send it and it's done. So they figure people will just mail for cheaper to get it over with and get some quick gold and not have to advertise their things. That's just my thought at least lol. Hopefully sellers won't fall for it either way.
    Veylaine
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited October 15, 2017
    @Eralea lol
    This reminds me of a time on Tarlach where someone was advertising to both buy and sell new wings that had just come out. I noted asking for a price to buy a pair and he wanted me to pay like 10m, but was trying to buy the same wings for about 3m off other players. I hate people like that.

But back to the topic on hand: it makes me wonder if people are low-balling through mail because it's "easier," in a sense, than directly trading, because there's no back-and-forth messaging and trying to figure out when and where to meet, you just send it and it's done. So they figure people will just mail for cheaper to get it over with and get some quick gold and not have to advertise their things. That's just my thought at least lol. Hopefully sellers won't fall for it either way.

Yeah thats what I wonder if theres actually a good amount of people that send those items for cheap either out of generosity or just dont know about about the actual prices.
  • ArchdukeValeCortezArchdukeValeCortez
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,380
    Doing things by direct mail works out fine, and I have sold things that way but always when they were at the market price. The lowballers confuse me. On Mari I've recently seen people trying to buy gold boxes for 300k under the market price.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    It's a free market, you are not required to sell items for lower price. Don't like the offer - ignore it.
    You guys only make yourselves look bad here.
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    edited October 15, 2017
    i call them lowballers, cheapstake for their stubborness
    but then, there are still kind enough person who willing to sell item to them at such low price (i sold 2 ancient beast hides at 100k to him, sorry)
  • JJJJ
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,400
    If I have what they're looking for I sometimes mail it to them at their price to help them out. So it does work.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited October 15, 2017
    Hazurah wrote: »
    i call them lowballers, cheapstake for their stubborness
    but then, there are still kind enough person who willing to sell item to them at such low price (i sold 2 ancient beast hides at 100k to him, sorry)

what are you sorry for? Can't speak for everyone else on here as I kind of implied I don't really have anything against people who do this but I just wanted to know if that kind of stuff actually works enough times or not lol
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    That's just the market for ya.
  • noobodyzxznoobodyzxz
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,990
    the strategy is to make competitors into customers sell same item at half price if possible
    if someone selling same thing or plans to sell it saw it they might buy it especially if u r close to their shop or kiosk
    its very logical to buy the cheaper one especially if they are completely the same

let us start a revolution to bring down the prices
  • NilremNilrem
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,880
    To avoid this, most items I sell are already slightly discounted from the market value.
    By about 10-20%, depending on how quickly I want gold or if I have so much to sell that I just don't care.

Throws people off when they offer less than 30% value and I tell them that the price is already discounted and that I "can't" lower it anymore.
    Only exception is high price items, then I might take offers. Well, reasonable ones anyway.

If I had a dime for every time some person tried to offer below 50%...

Best cases is when someone tries to tell me their below 30% value "is actually the real market price" while every version of the item on the market is around my own price.

Then I just get a chuckle.

Reminds me of the people that ask to loan gold from me. The fun trap of "pay me back in a day".
    Because if they say they can, I know something is up. They can just earn THAT gold then.
    badnewsbarrett[Deleted User]CarlizeSherri
  • ValenmirValenmir
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,385
    Some prices are just to high and as my friends said to me before.. there more ridiculous then this low price offer. I Honestly am one of those "Lowballers" and thats simply because i just dont have that 30m+ money sitting around and i dont see anything worth that much. When someone wants something im selling and they cant buy it, ive lowered it enough for them before or even accepted a item for item to help them out as well. ;x Like the other day, my friend really wanted a harp but he couldnt get the 5m to get one. I just ended up giving him mine.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    These people ruin the market. I am not getting what I want for my stuff like I used to. :|
    Sherri
  • HinotamaHinotama
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,420
    I sell things for cheap and people buy it. If people turn around and sell it for more, I don't care. I have too many items to get rid of anyway, so any give amount of money earned is good enough for me. Of course I won't sell for extremely cheap.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    My market strategy has always been sell lower just to give goods moving. In-game costs are generally low in this game economy so I can sell things at a 1000 gold and still profit, so people opening a low offer should always be the case, because they could find someone willing to take that price and also that would start the process of haggling.
  • ValenmirValenmir
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,385
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Hinotama wrote: »
    I sell things for cheap and people buy it. If people turn around and sell it for more, I don't care. I have too many items to get rid of anyway, so any give amount of money earned is good enough for me. Of course I won't sell for extremely cheap.
    If you're selling something for X amount a stack, and I start buying (via Party Ad) all of X on the server for 25% of the price you're selling it for (and have an alt spamming an ad, claiming to sell it for half the price you do); this will effectively freeze your sales and put you out of business.

~ Now carry on with your open denial.

..xD not everyone cares all that much on sells and so on, Hell.. about a year or so when my only income was making musical scrolls, a lot of people would sell those for 10-35k. I used to sell mine for 1k-5k to one get rid of something i can just remake, and two.. because i needed quick money. :x Then again i also freely give out things with out accepting money, mostly because i know ill always be able to make the money back. xD Also no ones sells will ever freeze, If you sell something lower to someones buying price, your still getting that money in the long run- it doesnt effect the ones selling it low price as much as it does effect the ones asking for twice the amount.
    : O Kinda like the piano- You can see someone in one shop selling it for, say 6m. Then one right next to that said shop selling the same piano for 3m. No one will go for that 6m unless that 6m is the only one left.
    offwithyourheads
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    its a way 2 haggle without needing to confront anyone.