Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

The Sad-Reason why I think Outfit-Bags are Dying.

Clovis15Clovis15
Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
edited November 9, 2017 in General Chat
Most people just want to blame straight-up greed, but I've seen a growing trend that was likely just as responsible for the increasing-disappearance of Outfit-Bags. Back when the "Mistress Macaroon" and "Count Cookie" outfits first arrived - via Outfit-Bags - they were regarded as ugly, and no-one wanted to purchase them (either from the cash-shop, or from players in-game). Yet when they were later rereleased via a Shuffle-Card, suddenly people were fighting over them - the very same outfits they previously-rejected - because an inability to have it meant they now wanted it. Numerous other Outfit-Bags have since sold in small-quantities - as evidenced by nearly no-one using them - yet a Gacha-Only outfit can easily sell innumerous-stacks, even if it does leave many-players upset that they can't have the limited-thing (which they often wouldn't have wanted if it were readily-available). While Nexon is certainly chasing the biggest pile of money, many of you have further worked hard to teach Nexon that you only want something when it's somehow unobtainably-illusive. Obviously I'm not going to order you to buy Outfit-Bags you don't want, but you might want to re-evaluate why it is you wanted a Gacha-Only outfit to begin with (especially when some of you actively snubbed it during a previous Outfit-Bag based release).

Be willing to buy Outfits you want directly (and not snub them because you won't be the exclusive-owner afterwards), and don't buy Gacha outfits you secretly-hate (even if you'll be the exclusive-member wearing them). So long as you only purchase outfits in relation to their unobtainability, future-outfits will continue to be doled out in a predominantly unobtainable-manner.
Pip-BoySherriBlissfulkillVaughanPolicromapawcalypse수융_RuairiKokorokapapaiMattxCand 6 others.

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited November 9, 2017
    People praise rarity and and desire appearance of wealth, even at the expense of aesthetic taste. People want the new and shiny, and often base their purchases on how high the price tag is, and how rare it is. Some do it knowingly, others are merely caught up in the craze. This also ties into the whole "Does it look expensive" ideal.

Tell me, how many people dye their clothes flashy today, versus back then? Ever since the advent of dye wells, people have stopped using flashies in droves. Why? They're common, they're trash, and more often than not, it is hard to tell common fodder flashy dyes versus the more expensive and sought after. Which in turn brought overall usage of flashy dyes down, and drove down demand.

Pride is based not on merely having something, but having more than your neighbors and friends. I tend to make many purchases of clothing for this reason as well, many do. (Not consciously, I hope.) Though in the end, after attempting to configure clothing layouts, I think making every new outfit aesthetically pleasing, especially of the more gaudy variety, is harder than Rabbie Phantasm barefisted.

Though it does bother me when people refer to, say, the blue heart wings as a "Poor man's wings", as those were directly purchasable on Doki Doki Island. Who cares, really? This is also why I tend to hate Wings, and often their wearers. They just care about being seen as affluent, and hardly for any sensible aesthethics. They'd walk nude if it meant having to purchase a rare gachapon coupon to do so.

Hence why shopping bags are dying. They are not gachapon, they do not drop every so often at a 1/300 chance. Everyone with the NX to pone up can get it with the utmost certainty. If everyone is wearing it, or capable of doing so, then everyone feels a bit less special. Hence why shopping bags are hardly sold, perhaps. People derive pride from perceived superiority, and there is little pride when one is yet another individual of the masses.
    Clovis15SherriVeylaineArchdukeValeCortezPolicromapawcalypse수융_RuairikapapaoffwithyourheadsImaizumiand 3 others.
  • Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    edited November 9, 2017
    I obviously must be doing Fashionogi wrong. I'm normally wearing my - virtually never seen otherwise - Star Rider Suit, Star Rider Shoes, and Style Sunglasses everywhere I go. While I do have wings, they're the perpetually-avoided "Tiny Holy Guardian Angel Wings" that you never see anyone idling around with. I'm wearing these items because I genuinely like them, not because they're part of any current AFK-driven fashion-trends (and if they ever were, their time has long since come and left).
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited November 9, 2017
    Clovis15 wrote: »
    I obviously must be doing Fashionogi wrong. I'm normally wearing my - virtually never seen otherwise - Star Rider Suit, Star Rider Shoes, and Style Sunglasses everywhere I go. While I do have wings, they're the perpetually-avoided "Tiny Holy Guardian Angel Wings" that you never see anyone idling around with. I'm wearing these items because I genuinely like them, not because they're part of any current AFK-driven fashion-trends (and if they ever were, their time has long since come and left).

I'd say you are doing it right. B)
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    Our servers are kept running by 150-200 people who can't control their spending.

From a purely financial standpoint, of course putting everything in a gatcha and giving the best items a 1% chance to pop out is going to make them the most money. They know that the diehard pod of whales that Nexon NA relies on to keep the bills paid will spend whatever it takes to indulge their neophilia and get all the shiny new things, each spending hundreds of dollars in the process, whereas if everything was in shopping bags, they'd only drop $10-20 and be done with it.
    Sherri
  • FoxgirlkatieFoxgirlkatie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,055
    edited November 10, 2017
    Liyeta wrote: »
    From f2p perspective outfit bag or shuffle card is better since its more affordable in game.

-More affordable in game
    -Cheap to buy in web shop
    -More widely accessible then gacha means more people willing to buy them thus Lots of money rolling into Nexons Bank account

Outfit bags were a win-win for all parties involved except the Ego stroking Fashionogis who do nothing but want to stand around in the fanciest and rarest gear.
    pawcalypseSherriDarkpixie99
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    There are phenomenon where outfit bags/Char card clothing do spike in value after a long drought.
    *cough*Premuims Summer*cough*
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited November 10, 2017
    Those tacky FF8-inspired fomor hunter uniforms that we got for free in 2013 when coco and ropa were around.

- - - - -

It seems more likely that since people have a very tenuous grasp on color//mixed clothing combination they resort to either "rare" outfits or MSpaint color schemes to break even xD
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    or the real reason was that all that money to spend on MMO Mabinogi was spent on mobile Mabinogi and TCG Mabinogi.

The evidence is right there, mobile Mabinogi is the reason why we NA people never got the updates or special treatment like JP and KR.
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    To add to the OP here:

Nexon usually spams a previously rare item in later gachas. I greatly prefer this if there's an item I like but can't get, but I know there's people of the mentality that once an item is no longer rare, that it's not "special" anymore.

This is stupid, IMO. Especially if you only buy items for their rarity.

I go purely by whether or not I like an item and want to wear it. If I have no interest in wearing it, I won't. Simple.
    VaughanClovis15Sherri
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    edited November 10, 2017
    Liyeta wrote: »
    From f2p perspective outfit bag or shuffle card is better since its more affordable in game.

-More affordable in game
    -Cheap to buy in web shop
    -More widely accessible then gacha means more people willing to buy them thus Lots of money rolling into Nexons Bank account

Outfit bags were a win-win for all parties involved except the Ego stroking Fashionogis who do nothing but want to stand around in the fanciest and rarest gear.

The bolded part just simply isn't true. How many queen of heart sets do you see people wearing? Ronin outfit? Even cross over items like the fates items and Sao items. You just don't see them in game at all. The afternoon tea dress was going for absurd prices, and even worse lately the demigod outfit for females was 40m+ on Alexina. I personally know 3 people who dropped $300 on this gacha, if the outfits were bags can you find me 100 people willing to buy the outfit bags? That's not even counting the true whales who drop $1k+

I wear the magic academy robe for seniors, I've wanted it since there was a preview in KR and just coming back to the game I found one, would I care if it was 1m or 15m? I personally would not, and I do like outfit bags but at this point it's just fact. They make much less than locking it behind gambling.
    VaughanNilremVeylaineSherriImaizumiMikuV3
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    edited November 10, 2017
    I dunno about you but I see SAO items worn very frequently, often as their sets. Fates items get picked on because they're not dyeable, but I still see them around. (Personally I grabbed them for the sake of collecting though.)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited November 10, 2017
    IF they release the steampunk outfits via shopping bag, YOU ALL BETTER BUY ONE and prove to Nexon that gacha is NOT the only way to profit. :|

Buy something because YOU like it, NOT because it's rare.

I am still sporting my cross empire outfit that I bought as a shopping bag. I still love it and don't care that it's not rare or came from a shopping bag. I love it and am happy with it. That is all that matters.
    Clovis15수융_RuairiGretaSherriNilremSebastianVaughanImaizumiNyuuHokusai
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    edited November 10, 2017
    Hellkaizer wrote: »

I wear the magic academy robe for seniors, I've wanted it since there was a preview in KR and just coming back to the game I found one, would I care if it was 1m or 15m? I personally would not, and I do like outfit bags but at this point it's just fact. They make much less than locking it behind gambling.

Yeah. Personally. I never buy ANY outfit that goes above 10m gold, EVEN if it's cute af and i actually want it really bad. I freaking had like 90m with me and i still wasn't willing to let go 15-20m for a VERY cute piece of pixel. I just looked for something else cheaper instead.

Gaea wrote: »
    Buy something because YOU like it, NOT because it's rare.

Also THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SherriNilremPinkiesandwichNyuuHokusai
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited November 10, 2017
    I hoard whatever my grubby hands can get. Gatcha or Outfit box doesn't matter. But sum stuff shuld just not be in a gacha and sum stuff in gacha shuld be in CS. Collabs especially. Idk wry Japan/Korea/Others have Yui and FSN dolls in CS but we have to gamble like an addict 4 such things. All I want is sum safer consistency(reasonable bag price) or a healthier gacha(Boosted rates) if that's the prefer means 2 obtain such elusive stuff. My OCD is still triggered every-time I see my incomplete collection of FSN dolls. :(

I say let stuff become rarer over time (like summer' 08) and not when it just came out yesterday. :o
    Sherri
  • HinotamaHinotama
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,420
    If anyone even remember what Lamellar Warrior Armor (recent gacha only armor) is or what the Raccoon Family Basic Outfit (very old gacha/event outfit) is, then that's what I usually have on. Sure, it may be semi-low pixelated, but they are two outfits I like. I don't understand nor can I like some of the big ticket items. Some people get mad at me for selling rare gacha equips for a lot of gold because they tell me to keep it. Why keep what I don't like/what I don't want/ what I can't use?
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    My attire is either incredibly common gacha outfits, character card outfits, or old outfit bag outfits nowadays.

I was gonna drop a lot of money on Demigod and the Harry Potter-esque outfits, but I decided it wasn't worth it.
  • VaughanVaughan
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,015
    IF they release the steampunk outfits via shopping bag, YOU ALL BETTER BUY ONE and prove to Nexon that gacha is NOT the only way to profit. :|

Seriously, this. Even if it's only to resell in game. Even if it's not worth much.
    Sherri
  • nevyn25nevyn25
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,135
    edited November 10, 2017
    I only collect outfits and sets if I want them. for example, I only bought the ilyasviel set because I find it cute, not because it's some limited cross-over stuff, as I haven't bought the rin tohsaka set for instance. and sometimes I like to wear older stuff, like the night witch set, because it fits the time of year, or just because I like the outfit/set. to add to that, I would spend more on outfit bags than gach because I'm guaranteed to get what I want, instead of spending the same amount of money and risk getting nothing. I usually buy 1 stack to see if I pull a winner, and nothing more. only exception is the loot o' lantern gach, but we all know those have the best rates every year in gacha history
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615

Oh yeah, don't worry about that.
    Pretty much the only thing we can do right now anyway.
    I'm planning on buying one for me, maybe a male one for my alt, one for my friend, maybe another friend of mine..
    I don't have much money but I'll see what I can do. I hope they come out in an outfit bag. =_=
  • iMattxCiMattxC
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,075
    Shaeli wrote: »
    Our servers are kept running by 150-200 people who can't control their spending.

From a purely financial standpoint, of course putting everything in a gatcha and giving the best items a 1% chance to pop out is going to make them the most money. They know that the diehard pod of whales that Nexon NA relies on to keep the bills paid will spend whatever it takes to indulge their neophilia and get all the shiny new things, each spending hundreds of dollars in the process, whereas if everything was in shopping bags, they'd only drop $10-20 and be done with it.

Is it really ethical to take advantage of someone's gambling problem? Especially when you don't show them the odds?