Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Acquiring Chain Slash skills

Comments

• BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Gold grind wise, it may be less expensive to buy the rarer crystals or the rarer pages. Chain prices are just inflated for now.
    pawcalypse
  • OdinwolfeOdinwolfe
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,900
    AR8 was a huge cashcow back in the day, this isn't new, however it is very frustrating for a new talent skill to have this requirement.

At one point I went over 140 end chests without a Dorcha 5.
    I've farmed at least 10, and sold them all for 3-4m, farmed 2 for wife and I, and 1 for a friend.

That 140 chest marathon was over the course of 2 days and several hours.
  • ShaeliShaeli
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,430
    edited December 28, 2017
    I had to grab all these items for three characters, so I went to the mattresses with the random number gods.

Crystal 2? Killed 600+ ancient mobs and got nothing but junk weapons, upgrade stones, and pages nobody needs anymore. Yet within another 80 kills, I got all three.
    Crystal 5? Never got one in 50 dungeon runs. Ended up buying one, and got two as pity gifts from friends who got spares.
    Page 2? 13 tries at Nowhere to Run, over 10000 kills, 200 bears, no page. 14th run...3 pages. Seriously?

Everything else wasn't so bad, but those three things were just terrible and I'm glad I'll never have to look for them again.
    pawcalypse
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited December 28, 2017
    Shaeli wrote: »
    I had to grab all these items for three characters, so I went to the mattresses with the random number gods.

Crystal 2? Killed 600+ ancient mobs and got nothing but junk weapons and upgrade stones. Yet within another 80 kills, I got all three.
    Crystal 5? Never got one in 50 dungeon runs. Ended up buying one, and got two as pity gifts from friends who got spares.
    Page 2? 13 tries at Nowhere to Run, over 10000 kills, 200 bears, no page. 14th run...3 pages. Seriously?

Everything else wasn't so bad, but those three things were just terrible and I'm glad I'll never have to look for them again.

*When you sold those pages for 50k cause you got 5 spamming nowhere to run with combat exp buff.* :'(
  • ShouKShouK
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
    Apologist wrote: »
    They aren't as bad as chains stuff tho. Since they have assistance/workaround. Plus market prices are reasonable. Not so much with chain. :(
    The chain skills just come out not long ago. Like most other items, new stuff tend to be expensive. If you can't afford it, just be patient and wait for the price to drop.
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Idk

If people can get the skills a few days after they come out, that's a pretty great drop rate compared to the time I hunted Scathach mobs for weeks to get Shock pages, because the past year of doing missions had yielded nothing, or the wrong pages at the wrong times (no expiration removals back then!). The drop rate for the chain stuff is good enough that prices are already falling.

> "shock is ez u can seal train it!!!"
    Yes, that's why you don't have the perseverance to deal with even the slightest skill obtainment RNG now. All those "workarounds" for those skills came long after their releases. They were just as hard or even harder when they were new.

As far as I'm concerned, the last few talents (fighter onwards) were way too easy, giving newbies* a false belief that all skills should be just as easy to obtain. Chain slashing is a return to normal difficulty - it has both easy-to-get "basic" skills, and harder-to-get "advanced" skills, just like magic, archery and alchemy.

*I say newbies, but in reality fighter was released 5 years ago... so that includes a large number of players who would no longer consider themselves newbies.
  • nevyn25nevyn25
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,135
    I don't really mind the rng factor for the pages, though I feel like they shouldn't have made those baltane exclusive. personally I think it would have been best if they were obtainable from (dungeon)mobs, like ar, fb, is and thunder. and yes, I was around back in the early days, when mabi eu wasn't even a thing yet, so I remember those pages being rarer than the 2nd dorcha crystal is now, because the mobs were pretty much toward end-game in those days.
  • pawcalypsepawcalypse
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,705
    Ironically all the pages for other skills were the ones that dropped the most, especially for Shock and Arrow Revolver, after hunting down ancients and going through dozens of dungeons for the crystals.
  • HarukariHarukari
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,470
    Why I decided to drop this skillset, because I just don't have the time to grind my life away for the crystals nor have the gold to buy them.
    Also I haven't even done the new gens to get the other skills. so.. whatever.
    SylviaWolfe
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Harukari wrote: »
    Why I decided to drop this skillset, because I just don't have the time to grind my life away for the crystals nor have the gold to buy them.
    Also I haven't even done the new gens to get the other skills. so.. whatever.

none of the chain stuff is harder than the other page quests, and on top of that they're really not that pricey. I've stated my opinion on it several times. Players are too used to being handfed new content.
  • BuffalosBuffalos
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,795
    edited December 28, 2017
    RNG drops exclusively behind instanced chests and monsters isn't anything new and can realistically be grinded out ""easily"".
    RNG drops exclusively behind limited field monsters is something new and you can't grind them because you have to compete with the server. This doesn't really work well for the chain slash page items, because:
    1) Polar hornets have an apparent hard spawn cap per time interval
    2) Ancient monsters are a precious commodity
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    none of the chain stuff is harder than the other page quests, and on top of that they're really not that pricey. I've stated my opinion on it several times. Players are too used to being handfed new content.

I'm honestly inclined to side with you on people wanting to be handfed, but that opinion promptly changed the second Nexon put Chain Slash up as a suggested first talent and hiding utility AoE skills behind mid-game content they cannot do.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Buffalos wrote: »
    RNG drops exclusively behind instanced chests and monsters isn't anything new and can realistically be grinded out ""easily"".
    RNG drops exclusively behind limited field monsters is something new and you can't grind them because you have to compete with the server. This doesn't really work well for the chain slash page items, because:

I'm honestly inclined to side with you on people wanting to be handfed, but that opinion promptly changed the second Nexon put Chain Slash up as a suggested first talent and hiding utility AoE skills behind mid-game content they cannot do.

I'm pretty sure they do that with all new talents to hype it, but yeah my opinion faltered a bit because of that.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050

I'm pretty sure they do that with all new talents to hype it, but yeah my opinion faltered a bit because of that.

Which reminds me I saw this ad on CR
    Profile.png

pawcalypse
  • waifuismwaifuism
    Mabinogi Rep: 410
    Maybe there's a reason Chain is a Luck dependent skill.
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited December 29, 2017
    IMO it's still not as annoying as RNG skills like catering and crisis escape. some people can roll across all the hills of Uladh and still not freaking learn Crisis Escape. at least you don't need to rebirth into paid talents to more efficiently learn the chain skills (yet)
  • RonnyXRonnyX
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    Mabinogi why have you forsaken us!?
  • RonnyXRonnyX
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    I really like how they did the first set of three skills. The grind really wasn't that bad (once you got past spawn camping that was happening during the release hype) and it kinda validated people opening dead end chests again.
    The second set of skills, however, is just a glorified attention draw to the Baltane Missions. Like they're cool and all, but I really do not like having to farm RNG drops in a mission that has a time constraint on re-entry. It's a time wall rather than a proper progression wall like dungeon passes are for all the other skills with pages.
    Overall: This is good for people who've been playing the game a while, but not for the beginners they are pushing this talent at.
    d61bf643b2d680e92059d3bba4064e25.png
    Jesus Christ who thought it was a good idea to make a talent where half the skills are locked behind RNG walls in mid-game content should be a "Starter Talent?" Cause it ain't. 7/10

Thats exactly what i thought when i saw this as a starter talent my only words were...."Seriously Mabinogi?"
  • Davinator61Davinator61
    Mabinogi Rep: 920
    Well now, looks like I'll have quite the chore getting ALL the Chain Slash skills gathered together and ranked up...LOL.